In retrospect, was letting McKenzie go a mistake?

ChicagoRic

Seems like the biggest knock on Harty isnt with his play when he is actually on the field, but with how we are (or aren't) using him and his salary.

Those knocks are on Coaching and FO.

Harty, the player, so far seems more reliable in that I havent witnessed him making a bonehead play yet, and we're 6 games in. (McKenzine made it 17 plays last year)

He's likely an upgrade over McKenzie. $4.5M aint that much right now. Hopefully they can figure out how to use him more because so far I like what I've seen.

edit:

Just looked up McKenzie's contract. $1.2M. The $3.3M difference is worth it to not have the bonehead plays. You get what you pay for.

Edited by DrDawkinstein
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

12 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Seems like the biggest knock on Harty isnt with his play when he is actually on the field, but with how we are (or aren't) using him and his salary.

Harty, the player, so far seems more reliable in that I havent witnessed him making a bonehead play yet, and we're 6 games in. (McKenzine made it 17 plays last year)

He's likely an upgrade over McKenzie. $4.5M aint that much right now. Hopefully they can figure out how to use him more because so far I like what I've seen.

edit:

Just looked up McKenzie's contract. $1.2M. The $3.3M difference is worth it to not have the bonehead plays. You get what you pay for.

Maybe this is fair. Maybe I'm putting too much on him for not getting on the field vs coaching.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Some truth there.  A number of people, however, have commented that he just doesn't look as fast as he did in 2021.

It's actually kind of puzzling that the Bills are using Diggs on some of the quick "out" routes and such that I thought would be going to Harty.  It makes me wonder what's going on in practice. 

I don't know how you'd tell if Harty is "more reliable" or not, when we're not seeing much of him.  He does have a drop, and it was a bad one. 

As far as contract, we're gonna have to agree to disagree about what's "not much".  When the team has like $1.8M in cap space and has injured players dropping like flies, an extra $3M cap space could come in mighty handy.

Edited by Beck Water

Our lack of usage of Harty is just annoying at this point.  He's faster, more fluid and has better hands than McKenzie but they only way we look to get him the ball is on poorly designed and easily diagnosed screen plays.  No way to scheme him some routes in space out of the slot?  Or use him as a deep threat to take the top off the defense.  Go back and watch his New Orleans film.  He can do these things.  He has big play potential that we seem unable to tap into.

I hated the Harty signing and so many people told me I was clueless. 

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

edit:

Uhh the fumbled punt he should have let bounce into the end zone…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

My bad, I thought he was released! 

He was released, but it turned out to just be a roster manipulation move at roster cutdown, so that they could get a guy onto IR eligible to return.  Resigned the next day, been returning punts and doing gadget plays for them.

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah, I gotta give you/him that one. At least we didnt lose that fumble, but I wont make excuses.

And the drop.....

Edited by Beck Water

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

And the drop.....

I dont care about a drop. We dont want to go there with McKenzie either. I'm talking the real bonehead plays that McK specialized in.

I know you'll defend him until your keyboard breaks, but we're better off without him. Moving on.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I dont care about a drop. We dont want to go there with McKenzie either. I'm talking the real bonehead plays that McK specialized in.

I know you'll defend him until your keyboard breaks, but we're better off without him. Moving on.

I have no problem with the Bills moving on from McKenzie.  I have my receipts of what I've said on the subject (and in this thread).  McKenzie got his chance to show he could be a full-time slot receiver, and he didn't come through.  Next.

I do have a problem with labeling everything you can a "boneheaded play" from your departed whipping boy, and not even remembering the genuine gaffes Hardy has been observed to make in his limited time with the Bills.  It's illogical to label a guy who is really not seeing the field very much, and who has had mistakes when he does, "more reliable".  You don't care about a drop, but maybe you should.  Maybe the coaches do; maybe it reflects what he's doing in practice.

Can Harty be a better player?  Yes, he potentially does have a higher ceiling.  Better routes, better ball tracking ability.  He needs to prove he is able to keep that "best ability is availability" thing going on.  But mostly for whatever reason, he hasn't earned enough playing time to show what he is or can be here, one way or another.  So when you spend 3x as much money, on a guy who is on the field 60% less, and you only have $1.8M cap space, yeah, the best I can give it is "jury's still out".

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Beck Water said:

I have no problem with the Bills moving on from McKenzie.  I have my receipts of what I've said on the subject (and in this thread).  McKenzie got his chance to show he could be a full-time slot receiver, and he didn't come through.

I do have a problem with labeling everything you can a "boneheaded play" from your departed whipping boy, and not even remembering the genuine gaffes Hardy has been observed to make in his limited time with the Bills.  It's illogical to label a guy who is really not seeing the field very much, and who has had mistakes when he does, "more reliable".

Can Harty be a better player?  He potentially does have a higher ceiling.  He needs to prove he is able to keep that "best ability is availability" thing going on.  But mostly for whatever reason, he hasn't earned enough playing time to show what he is or can be here, one way or another.

I knew I'd be getting paragraphs from you on this. Cant dare criticize your boy.

Lil Bonehead is gone.

Moving on.

I am probably one of the biggest Lil' Dirty fans here. No, I don't think it was a mistake moving on, however I do think he was a better option than Harty. McKenzie was not everyones cup of tea, but I liked the outspoken personality and it brought a little fire on O. He was a team player and would do whatever was asked of him. This would be his week to shine. Harty to this point is a waste of cap space and hasn't done anything (yet) to justify the difference in salary.

So again if McKenzie and Harty were my only choices,  McKenzie all the way.😁

LilDirtyIronMan.thumb.jpg.69241fd3d2615faecd6ae0b9f30c6073.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.