How good is the Bills new starting defense?

Process

15 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

When was the last time this Bills defense stepped up in the playoffs? 

Maybe NE with a poor Jones QB, Balt with a one dimensional Lamar at QB, or a third string Miami QB? 

The road to the SB likely goes through Cinci and or KC. Its hard to have confidence in the Bills D vs them. 

It's equally possible more Bills players get injured too. Just saying..

Of course…but you could say the same thing about every team in the NFL.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Initially yes. Then is was all about stopping the pass because the Bills were up so up. They Oats were forced to pass. Frankly, they sucked at it and McD no longer had to worry about their running game. That just bolsters my theme. McD and frankly many other coaches have difficulty when offenses have dual threats. 

That lack of duel threat has hurt the Bills in the past. Meaning they couldn't establish an effective running game to keep teams honest. 

I can play the numbers game too. McD is 4-5 in the playoffs with an elite Allen for at least 3 years. Not a whole of playoff success under him. Let's get down to the gritty.

I have some numbers. Allen is 4-4 in the playoffs and last year, with a SB caliber team he pissed the bed vs Cincy. Thinking about sonograms celebrity status and baby mama drama. Not pretty for an elite qb. He also tried to give the Miami playoff game away last year. Somehow McDermott overcame Josh in that Miami game. In his 4 playoff losses, he’s had 1 good/great game. The KC game (13 seconds). Josh has been as much of the problem in the playoffs except for the KC game that everyone refers to. Aside from that KC game, Josh has not been elite in the playoffs. Fact.
Gritty. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Initially yes. Then is was all about stopping the pass because the Bills were up so up. They Oats were forced to pass. Frankly, they sucked at it and McD no longer had to worry about their running game. That just bolsters my theme. McD and frankly many other coaches have difficulty when offenses have dual threats. 

That lack of duel threat has hurt the Bills in the past. Meaning they couldn't establish an effective running game to keep teams honest. 

I can play the numbers game too. McD is 4-5 in the playoffs with an elite Allen for at least 3 years. Not a whole of playoff success under him. Let's get down to the gritty.

Initially yes lol?  Like the first drive??  They were down 14 after our second drive.  What a game plan lol.

Josh Allen isn’t a dual threat or something?

You know Allen hasn’t been elite in the playoffs outside of the NE game.

McDermotts fault right?

So lets use your philosophy then.  That means that any team that stops our offense isn’t impressive, because like you said, we lack the dual threat so we should be easy to stop.

Points clearly don’t matter to you.  “It doesn’t matter if those teams scored a lot of points, since I believe they aren’t a dual threat, so those offenses should be easy to stop”

Edited by Royale with Cheese

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

I have some numbers. Allen is 4-4 in the playoffs and last year, with a SB caliber team he pissed the bed vs Cincy. Thinking about sonograms celebrity status and baby mama drama. Not pretty for an elite qb. He also tried to give the Miami playoff game away last year. Somehow McDermott overcame Josh in that Miami game. In his 4 playoff losses, he’s had 1 good/great game. The KC game (13 seconds). Josh has been as much of the problem in the playoffs except for the KC game that everyone refers to. Aside from that KC game, Josh has not been elite in the playoffs. Fact.
Gritty. 

This is a ridiculous take

Not just factually incorrect either 

31 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Initially yes lol?  Like the first drive??  They were down 14 after our second drive.  What a game plan lol.

Josh Allen isn’t a dual threat or something?

You know Allen hasn’t been elite in the playoffs outside of the NE game.

McDermotts fault right?

So lets use your philosophy then.  That means that any team that stops our offense isn’t impressive, because like you said, we lack the dual threat so we should be easy to stop.

Points clearly don’t matter to you.  “It doesn’t matter if those teams scored a lot of points, since I believe they aren’t a dual threat, so those offenses should be easy to stop”

Allen hasn't been elite in the playoffs outside the NE game lol what

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dopey said:

Gritty. 

Clearly your mind reading ability is on the blink.

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

This is a ridiculous take

Not just factually incorrect either 

Allen hasn't been elite in the playoffs outside the NE game lol what

Colts

Ravens

Chiefs twice

Bengals

Pats

Dolphins

I missed the 13 seconds game.  But outside of those two games, perfect game and 13 seconds….where has he been elite?

22 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Last year Tyler Huntley was a Pro Bowler. The year before Mac Jones was a Pro Bowler. People need to stop using that as a justification on someone's current play level. Aside from some contractual language and bonus money it's meaningless.

That being said, age and injury have definitely caught up to Poyer and had an adverse reaction to his play. The thing that he (and Hyde) still have is experience in the system, experience with each other and great communication. However, physically he just isn't what he was...and that happens. He lost a step when physically he didn't have many steps to lose.

You know that's not the same.  Poyer has been consistent.  To think he dropped off a ledge from a 5 game sample is silly.  That's why this board is crazy sometimes.  In the course of a game we are the worst team when losing by 3 points but then the best team 5 minutes later when we are up by 3.

2 minutes ago, Billzgobowlin said:

You know that's not the same.  Poyer has been consistent.  To think he dropped off a ledge from a 5 game sample is silly.  That's why this board is crazy sometimes.  In the course of a game we are the worst team when losing by 3 points but then the best team 5 minutes later when we are up by 3.

What an odd thing to just throw into the conversation.

Regarding Poyer specifically, many people noticed him dropping off near the end of last year. Taking bad angles, slow to the spot he had to get to. It was chalked up to his injury riddled season and the fact that Hyde wasn't playing. He didn't look the same in the preseason and through 5 games (almost a third of the season) he still isn't back to form. 

It's fair to point out the obvious. He's a good dude. He's done a lot for the franchise. But it would seem the age and injury have piled up and it's more than fair to wonder if he will return to form.

48 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

What an odd thing to just throw into the conversation.

Regarding Poyer specifically, many people noticed him dropping off near the end of last year. Taking bad angles, slow to the spot he had to get to. It was chalked up to his injury riddled season and the fact that Hyde wasn't playing. He didn't look the same in the preseason and through 5 games (almost a third of the season) he still isn't back to form. 

It's fair to point out the obvious. He's a good dude. He's done a lot for the franchise. But it would seem the age and injury have piled up and it's more than fair to wonder if he will return to form.

It's more to point out that this board sometimes overreacts to small sample sizes.  I would disagree with everyone noticing he lost a step last year.  He was balling till the end last year because we had very little going well on the back end

22 hours ago, BuffaloMatt said:

I'm not sure what stage of football injury grieving this is but I also find myself trying to convince myself that this defense can compete with the top offenses. I think DT is the only position where the backup could start on another team. I really want to believe in our LBs and there is a glimmer of hope. No faith in CBs, they are dinged up and and the heathy look like backups. Poyer, sad to say is looking old, might be time for Rapp who looked good against Miami. 

The five stages of grieving:

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Acceptance

You're still in Stage 1, Denial. Maybe you'll be angry next week.

2 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I actually agree with your original post, but I don’t see how giving up 6 points in 3 quarters supports it.

Giving up more drive extending long third downs. It’s a trend. 

And against pretty crappy QBs. 

Decent offenses will destroy this shitshow of a backfield. 

• Haha (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Giving up more drive extending long third downs. It’s a trend. 

And against pretty crappy QBs. 

Decent offenses will destroy this shitshow of a backfield. 

Tyrod Taylor is a veteran QB who can move the chains. And Saquon Barkley is an all pro RB. I don’t think today’s game supports your original argument. The defense won us the game today. 

• Agree 2

24 minutes ago, bobobonators said:

Tyrod Taylor is a veteran QB who can move the chains. And Saquon Barkley is an all pro RB. I don’t think today’s game supports your original argument. The defense won us the game today. 

They gave up more total yards, more rushing yards, more passing yards and more time of possession …. Against the worst team in the NFL with a backup QB who is utter garbage. 

Yeah … they won the game. 

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

They gave up more total yards, more rushing yards, more passing yards and more time of possession …. Against the worst team in the NFL with a backup QB who is utter garbage. 

Yeah … they won the game. 

Tyrod Taylor is far from garbage. He’s an adequate NFL QB that can fill in and win some games.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, k2mountain said:

The five stages of grieving:

Denial

Anger

Bargaining

Depression

Acceptance

You're still in Stage 1, Denial. Maybe you'll be angry next week.

Oh I am definitely angry after last night. I think I was in the bargaining stage and now I am not sure again. I am Definitely grieving this win. Feels like depression. . . . 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.