How good is the Bills new starting defense?

Process

5 hours ago, Process said:

Miller-Phillips-Oliver-Rousseau

Williams-Bernard

Jackson-Johnson-Poyer-Hyde-Benford

With Floyd AJE Ford as additional depth that will get a lot of playing time

That still looks pretty good to me? 

CB depth is a concern, we have none. Also WLB, but that's probably the least important position on D.

With McDermott as DC, is this still a top 5 unit? 10? 15?

And with a top X defense, is our offense good/consistent enough to still win a Superbowl?

Last week sucked, but we still have a top 2 QB, top 5 WR, and solid pass blocking o line. If they can go into the playoffs playing their best ball, unlike last year, Bills are still a Superbowl favorite, IMO. 

Despite the 3 huge injuries this is what has to give you hope as a Bills fan.   The pass rush still should be above average which should also help out the secondary.  

Im still a bit concerned about the rushing defense as Milano and Jones are a huge part of that.  I think they may have to make a move at DT or LB.   But also hoping we have those guys in January

9 hours ago, Process said:

Miller-Phillips-Oliver-Rousseau

Williams-Bernard

Jackson-Johnson-Poyer-Hyde-Benford

With Floyd AJE Ford as additional depth that will get a lot of playing time

That still looks pretty good to me? 

CB depth is a concern, we have none. Also WLB, but that's probably the least important position on D.

With McDermott as DC, is this still a top 5 unit? 10? 15?

And with a top X defense, is our offense good/consistent enough to still win a Superbowl?

Last week sucked, but we still have a top 2 QB, top 5 WR, and solid pass blocking o line. If they can go into the playoffs playing their best ball, unlike last year, Bills are still a Superbowl favorite, IMO. 

I think starting line is Floyd-Phillips-Oliver-Rousseau with Miller as depth.

Lawson is depth too and a experienced player.

Edited by Limeaid
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

We're fatally flawed unless we can trade for a one tech. Even if Williams and Elam work out and no one else goes down, we still won't be able to stop the run against the better offenses. We have too many data points of what it looked like minus Star/Daquon.

Edited by VW82
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BillsUberAlles said:

I don't count anything from that game as real. Goodell's experiment was a failure. Doubt we see that happen again.

Def cost us a loss in a very close game between the jet lag and officiating. As well as the injuries of 3 core defensive players. It was a massive failure for the NFL. I wonder if the Bills had any say at all about playing this  game in London ?

8 minutes ago, VW82 said:

We're fatally flawed unless we can trade for a one tech. Even if Williams and Elam work out and no one else goes down, we still won't be able to stop the run against the better offenses. We have too many data points of what it looked like minus Star/Daquon.

"Fatally flawed" has been mentioned here a few times since last week.

That strikes me as such an extreme characterization. It implies something that this team simply can't overcome.

I just don't subscribe to that.  Losing Jones & Milano hurts - but we were dominating on defense for the 1st month of the season.  Losing 2 players doesn't suddenly make us ineffective, or take us to the lower tier of the league.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

You are wrong here Gugs.

When was the last time this Bills defense stepped up in the playoffs? 

Maybe NE with a poor Jones QB, Balt with a one dimensional Lamar at QB, or a third string Miami QB? 

The road to the SB likely goes through Cinci and or KC. Its hard to have confidence in the Bills D vs them. 

17 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

Despite the 3 huge injuries this is what has to give you hope as a Bills fan.   The pass rush still should be above average which should also help out the secondary.  

Im still a bit concerned about the rushing defense as Milano and Jones are a huge part of that.  I think they may have to make a move at DT or LB.   But also hoping we have those guys in January

It's equally possible more Bills players get injured too. Just saying..

2 minutes ago, Success said:

That strikes me as such an extreme characterization. It implies something that this team simply can't overcome.

I just don't subscribe to that.  Losing Jones & Milano hurts - but we were dominating on defense for the 1st month of the season.  Losing 2 players doesn't suddenly make us ineffective, or take us to the lower tier of the league.

Fatally flawed is a bit extreme. However, losing three stars on your defense is more than concerning. The defense clearly won't be as effective. I think that's a given. 

I almost feel like it's too big to overcome when the playoffs arrive. That's probably why some refer to it as a fatal flaw. Time will tell if the Bills can overcome such big losses. I get the hope for the best attitude. 

12 minutes ago, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

Def cost us a loss in a very close game between the jet lag and officiating. As well as the injuries of 3 core defensive players. It was a massive failure for the NFL. I wonder if the Bills had any say at all about playing this  game in London ?

I agree but I'd add in the Bills organization contributed to Jags loss with terrible planning. 

We need a corner, same as last year, when Beane did nothing. A recovering White and an underachieving Elam , frittered away the postseason. Now, this fan base deserves more than Josh Norman, 8 years removed from his prime.it’s like, Beane is content to go with the roster as constructed until next season. If we are satisfied with winning a division and an early exit from SB contention, that strategy is fine. Let me tell my kids and grandkids, good luck with this small market, small expectation team, because I will not see a championship in my lifetime. The Pegula’s want a ring, grow some testicular fortitude and bring in a shut down corner from a tanking team. Be a GM that goes for it.

Interested to see how Poona Ford and D Williams do.   Can't predict anything right now as we haven't seen them play.   My understanding is that Ford is starter-quality and that Dorian W is liked by the coaching staff.   Beyond that, none of us know much of anything, making predictions impossible.   

Today's NFL is an offense-first league, so I don't spend much time thinking about defense.   D doesn't matter against the top 5 teams... you better be scoring 30+ against those teams.   

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

We need a corner, same as last year, when Beane did nothing. A recovering White and an underachieving Elam , frittered away the postseason. Now, this fan base deserves more than Josh Norman, 8 years removed from his prime.it’s like, Beane is content to go with the roster as constructed until next season. If we are satisfied with winning a division and an early exit from SB contention, that strategy is fine. Let me tell my kids and grandkids, good luck with this small market, small expectation team, because I will not see a championship in my lifetime. The Pegula’s want a ring, grow some testicular fortitude and bring in a shut down corner from a tanking team. Be a GM that goes for it.

A shutdown corner?

I mean, what cap space do we have?  Are we willing to give up a 1st round draft pick?  

Seems unrealistic.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

When was the last time this Bills defense stepped up in the playoffs? 

Maybe NE with a poor Jones QB, Balt with a one dimensional Lamar at QB, or a third string Miami QB? 

The road to the SB likely goes through Cinci and or KC. Its hard to have confidence in the Bills D vs them. 

It's equally possible more Bills players get injured too. Just saying..

That's by far my biggest fear going forward this season. Was really hoping and looking forward to a healthy season this year but we are already getting hit hard with injuries after only 5 weeks.  I think the Bills can continue to win games and overcome the injuries they've been dealt so far but hopefully there's not many more major injuries down the road.

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, Billl said:

If Von is back close to what he was before, the front 4 is very good.  The LBs are okay, and the secondary is bad.  It’s serviceable overall, but the offense is going to have to be consistently elite if this team is going anywhere.

How do you know the secondary is bad? I think the secondary will be adequate. They key is our pass rush helping our secondary making them above adequate 

3 minutes ago, Success said:

A shutdown corner?

I mean, what cap space do we have?  Are we willing to give up a 1st round draft pick?  

Seems unrealistic.

Teams that are going nowhere, need draft capital, especially the teams that don’t have much. You need to be creative, and find a #2 corner that has solid grades. When I say shut down I mean someone who can be better than Elam, Ingram or Norman. We’re not giving #1s or #2s. They don’t expect high draft choices at the deadline unless the player is a star. Believe me when I say, our corners are not good enough to beat Cinn, Miami or KC in a big spot.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

Overreacting! I was told on social media that the loss of Milano is the equivalent to us losing Josh Allen 🙄

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

Teams that are going nowhere, need draft capital, especially the teams that don’t have much. You need to be creative, and find a #2 corner that has solid grades. When I say shut down I mean someone who can be better than Elam, Ingram or Norman. We’re not giving #1s or #2s. They don’t expect high draft choices at the deadline unless the player is a star. Believe me when I say, our corners are not good enough to beat Cinn, Miami or KC in a big spot.

Are we willing to watch a performance like Elam served up in London? Stop worrying about what we’re giving up. Without a better corner combination, remember Benford and Jackson are dinged up, we’re not stopping big time receivers. Especially now that Milano can’t help.

• Disagree 1

The reporting on the injuries to Jones & Milano has been pretty thin, but I take some positives from the fact that neither has been ruled out for a return this season.  They at least hope that the timeline for recoveries is good.

If that's the case - this version of the D just has to hold it down until January.  They'll take some lumps, but w/ the offense we have, we can still get one of the top seeds w/ this D.  I think even the 1 seed is still very much in play.

Then, if we get 1 or both back, it's the old, often repeated "fully operational Death Star" thing.  As long as we stay relatively healthy the rest of the way.

8 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

So you want a #2 corner that has potential to be a shut down guy and you think those guys can be had from these bad teams for less than a 1 or a 2?? Teams aren’t giving up good players just to get a 4th round pick

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

I'm just happy professional athletes don't have the mental toughness of the posters on this board who fold like a cheap tent the second any type of adversity strikes. 

Makes me shudder to think what must happen in their personal life when they burn toast...must ruin their whole year and force them to go see their therapist for hours of intensive counseling to help them thru the trauma.

Edited by BillsUberAlles
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.