Bills signing Josh Norman - yes, seriously

Big Blitz

To me, the signing of a *35 year old* cornerback suggests two things:

1.  Many free agents have zero interest in being on practice squads. They'd rather sit at home than do that.  

2.  The Bills have no interest in messing with their active roster (other team's PS players must be signed to the active roster) 

If there was a good corner available to pick up on the streets, he wouldn't be on the streets guys. Many teams do not have 2 "starting caliber" corners

He's a body in a room that needs a body 

If a trade is going to happen, it will happen on a timeline dictated by the needs of both teams involved, not because Bills fans snap their fingers in demand today

Well, Norman hasn't been out of the league all this time.

2020 - 13 games with Buffalo

2021 - 17 games with San Francisco

2022 - 2 games with Carolina

He's obviously not the same guy he was in his heyday, and probably not even the same guy he was in 2020.  But he's just on the practice squad.  And as another poster mentioned, he could be a good veteran presence in the DB room.  

I agree with everybody that I hope we never have to play him in a game, but this is a sensible move.  And it in no way precludes any trades or stealing guys off other teams practice squads (which have to go to the Active Roster immediately).

You have to assume that at least the top 96 cornerbacks in the league, and probably the top 128, are on somebody's active roster right now and are untouchable except via trade.  Possible somebody in the 130 range is on somebody's practice squad right now, but you're taking a risk by signing him to the active roster.

Don’t let takeo spikes out of the stadium

1 minute ago, I am leaving for good said:

Josh Norman is way past his prime and too old. A 35 year player that hasn’t played since 2020 and some Buffalo Bills fans don’t think Brandon Beane and Sean McDermott have issues? This move is a bad move but par for the course with these two in charge in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

It is amazing how quickly fans will jump on the management whenever we lose a game nowhere to be heard from after we win by 50 points

14 minutes ago, arcane said:

If there was a good corner available to pick up on the streets, he wouldn't be on the streets guys. Many teams do not have 2 "starting caliber" corners

He's a body in a room that needs a body 

If a trade is going to happen, it will happen on a timeline dictated by the needs of both teams involved, not because Bills fans snap their fingers in demand today

I'm not expecting to be able to pick up a good corner at this point of the season. But there are 100% better options than 35 year old Josh Norman. He was a washed up has been 3 years ago. 

It's a disturbing fact that McBeane would rather bring in aging veterans that they are familiar with then try to find the best player available. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

It's a disturbing fact that McBeane would rather bring in aging veterans that they are familiar with then try to find the best player available

You need a guy who can play right quick so I think it's a good idea to sign a guy who is already familiar with your defsnsive system.

Now whether or not Norman still has the physical skills to play, that's another question.

What has he been doing since 2022? Sitting on the couch drinking beer and eating chips?

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

This is simply to bring in a veteran presence for the corner backs Imo. No way Norman sniffs the feild barring massive injuries 

Isn’t this why we pay our defensive coaches? (Eric Washington $2-4M)

credit for them trying but McBeane DB guru genius has clearly whiffed on R1 DB

3 hours ago, ngbills said:

Good chance to take a look at someone you dont know well that could surprise. Most likely wont pan out, but a guy like Norman is not going to pan out. 

That's what pre-season and training camp are about.  There isn't a lot of time for looking/teaching during the season.

I think someone had it right above - McDermott believes strongly in having a vet presence in each room.  Who is the vet presence in our CB room right now?  This is Dane Jackson's 4th season but he really only has about 1 1/2 seasons of starts.  It's Benford and Elam's second season.

5 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

You need a guy who can play right quick so I think it's a good idea to sign a guy who is already familiar with your defsnsive system.

Now whether or not Norman still has the physical skills to play, that's another question.

What has he been doing since 2022? Sitting on the couch drinking beer and eating chips?

They aren't signing Norman to "play right quick".  He's on the practice squad.

I have a hard time believing 35 year old Norman can cover better than 22 year old Elam. You can’t convince me. 35 is f’ing ancient for a corner. And it’s not like this guy was ever at Patrick Peterson or Stephon Gilmote’s level and those guys are young in comparison at 33!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.