4 drives ended by dropped passes

Alphadawg7

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think he hit Lawrence after the ball had gone. 

Yes, that's correct.  

I followed somewhat along in the GDT.  Most of the penalties were good calls, granted, voluminous.  The refs missed a few going both ways, arguably worse for us.  A handful could have gone either way.  

But still, more problematic was allowing 511 total yards and 474 net yards, apart from penalty yardage, is problematic.  

So far in our only games against two very balanced offenses with good QBs we've allowed an average of 462 total yards and 433 net yards.  

That seems problematic.   

As others have mentioned, I'm not sure that flying out two days ahead of time was wise.  Seems to me that the latest you'd want to fly out for that would be Thursday.  

It seems that coaching hasn't been discussed much.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

16 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Here's what I'm talking about. 

2nd Half:  (which you just cliamed)  

Diggs:  4 catches for 82 yards with 0 TDs 

62 of those yards on non-scoring drives having nothing to do with Davis.  One 1st-Down otherwise.  

Davis:  3 catches for 72 yards and 1 TD 

Davis had 43 of the 75 net yards on our scoring drive while catching the TD to pull us within 5.  

AFTER THAT, Diggs fumbled the ball on his only catch, and Davis added 29 yards on 1st-and-10 to set up Allen's TD run, ... after our marvelous D gave up 75 yards, featuring 43 yards by Etienne up-the-middle, to put the Jags up by 12.  Davis 29-yard catch on the next drive set up Allen's TD run.  

So again, spin away, but there's no way on earth that Diggs outplayed Davis in the 2nd half.  In fact, had Diggs done what Davis did in the 2nd half, we'd have won.  

I'm far from trying to implicate Diggs here, but your original point was exactly this; 

... which is nonsense without Davis in there.  But then arguing as you have, ... SMH  

And for the love of football, why all the outright hate for Davis, a player that has 4 TDs on the season and numerous 1st-Downs contributing to other scores and keeping drives alive, typically on deep throws on "... and long's."  

SMH  

Honestly, time for another whipping boy.  

Meanwhile, in allowing nearly 500 yards, actual yards, not penalty yards, McD gets a pass and everyone considers his D better than Frazier's despite his giving up well  over 100 more YPG than Frazier ever did through five games in either of his last two seasons here.  

It's mystefying.  

The D was missing its top two CB at start of game and lost Milano the beast of the D and Jones the beast of the DL.  

10 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Still trying to say that I said something that I didn’t.  I dont really know how many more ways to tell you to stop making your own narratives about what I actually said.  

Maybe go start a Davis thread as that is all you’re obsessed with making this thread about even though it’s not.

I posted what you said, exactly what you said, who you included, did not include, and then your subsequent remarks about the 2nd half performances of both.  

Either way, you're right then.  Davis didn't play with fire then.  

Eyes of the beholder.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

His underthrow to Diggs on that deep shot was a guaranteed TD and cost them 7 points as they ended up punting on that drive. The key play in the game and it essentially cost them the win. Allen was not good today until it was too late.

Offensive line was not holding up at all…getting those deep throws off at all was impressive enough 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

It may feel that way to you, but it's dishonest crediting Diggs with showing up but not Davis.  Their contributions were nearly identical except the Davis didn't commit a key TO.

Man, the Davis hate/bias is strong here. 

It's almost like they don't watch 

• Agree 1

Just now, Xwnyer said:

The D was missing its top two CB at start of game and lost Milano the beast of the D and Jones the beast of the DL.  

Well, then McD had better figure something out then.  

He's far from the only one with injuries in the league.  I'm pretty sure that lesser talented teams won't give up 500 yards and 25 points and 29 1st-Downs today.  

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yes, that's correct.  

I followed somewhat along in the GDT.  Most of the penalties were good calls, granted, voluminous.  The refs missed a few going both ways, arguably worse for us.  A handful could have gone either way.  

But still, more problematic was allowing 511 total yards and 474 net yards, apart from penalty yardage, is problematic.  

So far in our only games against two very balanced offenses with good QBs we've allowed an average of 462 total yards and 433 net yards.  

That seems problematic.   

As others have mentioned, I'm not sure that flying out two days ahead of time was wise.  Seems to me that the latest you'd want to fly out for that would be Thursday.  

Personally they should have flown out late Sunday night.  Used Monday as a rest day since normal,film study day anyways.  Then get a rest of week schedule.     If the NFL is gonna continue these Europe games two things must change.  Neither team should play back to back games.  Both teams should be provided adequate NFL a quality training facilities and rehab.

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

And Leonard Floyd, and Rousseau, and von miller came out down the stretch 

Forgot about Groot out and the Floyd injury and limited Von Miller snaps really impacted the D in the fourth quarter

• Agree 1

Just now, Xwnyer said:

Personally they should have flown out late Sunday night.  Used Monday as a rest day since normal,film study day anyways.  Then get a rest of week schedule.     If the NFL is gonna continue these Europe games two things must change.  Neither team should play back to back games.  Both teams should be provided adequate NFL a quality training facilities and rehab.

Yeah, getting there less than 48 hours prior to game time, ... who made that decision.  SMH  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, QB Bills said:

His underthrow to Diggs on that deep shot was a guaranteed TD and cost them 7 points as they ended up punting on that drive. The key play in the game and it essentially cost them the win. Allen was not good today until it was too late.

The flag on Poyer was the key play in the game. Defense had the stop until the flag flew in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Well, then McD had better figure something out then.  

He's far from the only one with injuries in the league.  I'm pretty sure that lesser talented teams won't give up 500 yards and 25 points and 29 1st-Downs today.  

The amount of time the Jags had in possession didn't help. If it was just 60/40 to the Jags, the Bills would have probably won.

13 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yes, that's correct.  

That seems problematic.   

It was a fine schedule if one was there for leisure or to conduct p, say, financial business.  Not smart for a football team.  They looked like zombies.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

This game was just so weird.  This is the worst job I have ever seen in a ref crew.  We lost so many players. Josh was 27/40 359 yards 2TDs 1 rushing TD and 1 int in a losing effort.

I can't say anything about that D. They were like 3rd stringers playing there asses off and held the Jags most of the game.  They were simply exhausted. Dorsey was terrible, our run game was terrible with 14 carries for 29 yards.  Cook had 5 carries for minus 4 yards. Davis had a drop, Diggs had a drop/int/fumble whatever, Knox had a drop.  All those killed drives.

Is what it is.  Our O just made too many mistakes and Dorsey called a ***** game.  Im so sick of the shotgun draw handoff.  It's a garbage play.  If you want to run the football then line the hell up under center and let the rb get some speed going from the snap.

8 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

The flag on Poyer was the key play in the game. Defense had the stop until the flag flew in.

Bingo.  Changed the whole game. 

Just now, Scott7975 said:

This game was just so weird.  This is the worst job I have ever seen in a ref crew.  We lost so many players. Josh was 27/40 359 yards 2TDs 1 rushing TD and 1 int in a losing effort.

I can't say anything about that D. They were like 3rd stringers playing there asses off and held the Jags most of the game.  They were simply exhausted. Dorsey was terrible, our run game was terrible with 14 carries for 29 yards.  Cook had 5 carries for minus 4 yards. Davis had a drop, Diggs had a drop/int/fumble whatever, Knox had a drop.  All those killed drives.

Is what it is.  Our O just made too many mistakes and Dorsey called a ***** game.  Im so sick of the shotgun draw handoff.  It's a garbage play.  If you want to run the football then line the hell up under center and let the rb get some speed going from the snap.

One of these games were just going to have to rely on a battering ram (Harris/Murray) when we have to hold the ball, plug away, and set up play action.  Given the injures and the fatigue, today might have been the day. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Bingo.  Changed the whole game. 

One of these games were just going to have to rely on a battering ram (Harris/Murray) when we have to hold the ball, plug away, and set up play action.  Given the injures and the fatigue, today might have been the day. 

But Dorsey isn’t smart enough 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Unfortunately Diggs getting the ball ripped out of his hands by a 5'9 CB was the most impactful of them all. I would say bare minimum all of the drops together took at the very least 10 points off the board, and forced a banged up defense to keep coming back on the field. Make no mistake - the Bills skill position players lost this game.

Watching this live, I was as sure as you could be that Diggs was going to come down with that ball, or at a minimum come down with dual posession, where the Bills would have kept the ball. Was totally shocked to see the INT there.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

The amount of time the Jags had in possession didn't help. If it was just 60/40 to the Jags, the Bills would have probably won.

No, it didn't, but that also wasn't the primary reason for it.  

Here's some game data; 

Us:  40 passing plays, 14 rushing plays 

Jags:  42 passing plays, 40 rushing plays 

And, Allen wasn't sacked once whereas Lawrence was sacked 5 times, all but once on drives that went scoreless.  

And we were never so far behind so as not to be able to run.  

It is what it is.  IMO the last two games, and the only two games we've played to date against playoff caliber opponents, were anything but defensive masterpieces, contrary to the predominant narrative here.  

I'm guessing that the ranking of our yardage defense is going to drop out of the top-10 this week and won't ever get back much into the top-10.  

Could be a problem going forward.  

27 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

It was a fine schedule if one was there for leisure or to conduct p, say, financial business.  Not smart for a football team.  They looked like zombies.  

The D players didn't look like zombies, neither did Diggs or Davis.  Allen definitely did.  

Not sure you caught the video clip of them doing a presser shortlyl after arriving where he says that he's tired.  I didn't know that was on Friday, I figured that they got there on Wed, Thurs at the latest.  

I really would like to know who's decison that was.  I have difficulty believing that McD didn't have a major hand in it.  It's his team.  

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

The D players didn't look like zombies, neither did Diggs or Davis.  Allen definitely did.  

Not sure you caught the video clip of them doing a presser shortlyl after arriving where he says that he's tired.  I didn't know that was on Friday, I figured that they got there on Wed, Thurs at the latest.  

I really would like to know who's decison that was.  I have difficulty believing that McD didn't have a major hand in it.  It's his team.  

They flew overnight on Thursday.  Fine if you're a lawyer, banker, whatever there to conduct business for a couple of days.  Not good for anyone else. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

They flew overnight on Thursday.  Fine if you're a lawyer, banker, whatever there to conduct business for a couple of days.  Not good for anyone else. 

Agree, but common sense too.  ... except for someone that's never traveled outside of a few time zones I suppose.  But we don't lack that cognizance at OBD.  

I was there. It was so obvious that the Jags game plan was to run tons of misdirection plays, and it worked all day long. The Bills were clearly jet lagged and slow to react to this misdirection time and time again. Brilliant move on the part of the Jags and once again McD proved he’s NOT the guy. Totally unforced error. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Yes, that's correct.  

That seems problematic.   

I just don't think we had the horses on defense. We ended up with a practice squad defensive tackle playing defensive end with our 1s and Dodson and Williams splitting time at WILL. 

But on the decision to fly out late.... I tend to agree. I am sure they went with the sports science and I am no expert but I know I always take like 3 days to get right after that journey.

On the penalties.... like I say I didn't see the hands to the face. Will want to watch that back. Ed was round his waist so I struggle to see it. I thought the one in the middle of the field (was that called on Poyer) was a joke. The Jags receiver ran into him. That was egrigous. Equally the RTP they called for the DT on Josh on the Gabe TD drive.... that was a bad call as well IMO. Yes he "landed" on Josh but he didn't piledrive him to the ground to my eye. He just completed the tackle. 

28 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

So Josh Allen who had 3 TDs and 360 yards despite 5 drops by his WRs, no run game, and the worst game of the season by the OL was a zombie????

LMAO.  You up in here campaigning for Davis for the HOF today despite a weak first half and an egregious drop that killed a drive, but you’re saying Allen was a zombie?  

Geezus.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So Josh Allen who had 3 TDs and 360 yards despite 5 drops by his WRs, no run game, and the worst game of the season by the OL was a zombie????

LMAO.  You up in here campaigning for Davis for the HOF today despite a weak first half and an egregious drop that killed a drive, but you’re saying Allen was a zombie?  

Geezus.

6/8 100 1TD totally unacceptable for a 2

Geezus indeed 

Just now, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

6/8 100 1TD totally unacceptable for a 2

Geezus indeed 

Except I never slammed Davis.  All I did was “leave him off the list” who I said played with fire the whole game. Literally that’s it lmao.  

Didn’t realize Davis family was in this thread and was gonna demand he get the player of the game award

Such a stupid conversation 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

Except I never slammed Davis.  All I did was “leave him off the list” who I said played with fire the whole game. Literally that’s it lmao.  

Didn’t realize Davis family was in this thread and was gonna demand he get the player of the game award

Such a stupid conversation 

Sassy

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

The Gabe drop was a killer. 

We finally had momentum.  Puts us from being 1st down in FG range, down 4 with plenty of time left, to 3rd and long / punt. 

effing loser lost us the game. He catches that, its a different ball game. "bIG gAmE GAbE" so stupid.

The entire passing game wasn't great. I didn't think the protection was great. Josh badly missed some throws today, and had a hand in at least one of those drops. I didn't like the play calling either. Sometimes we have no imagination. And yes, receiver group hurt us.   

Edited by VW82

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Plenty of other factors from injuries to horrific refs that contributed to this loss, but we had 4 drives ended by dropped passes and that’s all in our control.  Would have been 5 too but a penalty negated the play.  

Cook, Knox, Diggs, Davis all dropped passes that killed our drives which would have been first downs, with Davis having a second drop for a first down erased off the stat sheet by a penalty.

Feels like the only people who showed up to play with any fire today was Allen, Diggs and AJE.  Milano and Daquan get a pass as they were hurt.

But the dropped passes in a game where refs were working against us were just killers.

Plus Diggs got outfought for the ball on Josh’s int

• Sad 1

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I just don't think we had the horses on defense. We ended up with a practice squad defensive tackle playing defensive end with our 1s and Dodson and Williams splitting time at WILL. 

But on the decision to fly out late.... I tend to agree. I am sure they went with the sports science and I am no expert but I know I always take like 3 days to get right after that journey.

On the penalties.... like I say I didn't see the hands to the face. Will want to watch that back. Ed was round his waist so I struggle to see it. I thought the one in the middle of the field (was that called on Poyer) was a joke. The Jags receiver ran into him. That was egrigous. Equally the RTP they called for the DT on Josh on the Gabe TD drive.... that was a bad call as well IMO. Yes he "landed" on Josh but he didn't piledrive him to the ground to my eye. He just completed the tackle. 

Agree for the most part.  

As to the first part, not having the horses, we had AJE who played a career game, Oliver, and Floyd, our LBs after the undersized Williams and Dodson as you mention are not meant to anchor an entire LB unit.  I'm sure you'll recall my statements over the past few months as to if Milano got hurt we'd be screwed entirely at LB.  Well, that day has arrived.  

Milano covered some weaknesses in the unit to be sure.  But here's the thing, if we're not happy, this has to be on Beane.  IMO there's enough there to piece together an average D if one knows what they're doing.  Miller will be back full in a week or two, ... presumably.  

But also, we're hardly the only team to have injuries, and like other teams that sustain significant ones, we'll simply have to deal with it.  We can't cry in our soup over ours but neglect the fact that other teams deal with them expectedly too.  

While I was watching the game I kept thinking to myself, please please please no OL-men injured.  Our offense is intact.  

Allen had a pocket today that I don't recall having seen in the past several seasons.  You know my belief, that it's the offense that's going to carry this team.  And while Jax has a decent D, it's not so good that it should have held us to 20 points.  

It seems that the biggest issue was that Allen seemed tired and out of it.  If he's on as he typically is, then we probably win that game.  

As to the sports science, I have no idea what transpired over the week re: "sports science," all I know is what I read today, so I have no idea what's going on re: SS and the team, but common sense would dictate what you said as well, not sure why science is needed.  And it would have been prudent to have erred on the side of more days than not enough.  

Agree on the penalties, in fact those are the ones that I'd have pointed out as well.   A few less egregious but going both ways otherwise.  But in the example of RTP on Jags' Allen, I mean what's he supposed to do, or any D player in those situations, remove his head.  LOL  

Ahhh, it is what it is.  I'm most concerned about allowing nearly 500 net yards to a team led by the likes of Ridley, Kirk, and Engram on the receiving end.  They're all very good players but none are superlative or even close.  Engram's a good but far from great TE.  

The LB unit's going to be a problem, but for exactly the reasons I'd warned about as you realize.  We play a very unconventional form of defense, regularly, that I don't see any other teams employing.  Not saying that there isn't one, just saying I haven't see one.  But it was also predicated heavily upon Milano.  

The flip side, as I've pointed out, is that defense typically fails us come playoff time, so as long as the offense can optimize itself, and we did not do that today, then we should be fine.  

At present though we're leaning more and towards perhaps a 10-7 finish, a WC seed, and having to get hot offensively, on the road, in the playoffs.  

We'll see what happens, but we're 2-2 Conference now and in a four-way tie for 1-1 division.  We should beat the Jets at home and I'd be stunned if we don't take two from NE, so it may very well come down to whether or not we can beat @ Miami for the division.  Given the injury developments I'm guessing that they're a better bet to win the division at this point  

• Agree 1

56 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Geezus.

He seemed off today.  He had only 2 passing TDs.  Playing the way he did last week, IMO we score 38+.  

He wasn't bad, not at all, just seemed off. 

I mean 116 1st half passing yards and 7 1st-Downs?  You gonna try and tell us all that was good now too?  

;) 

... BTW, go through the gameday thread, others saying it as well.  My wife, who covers sports for a living, said the same as did two fellow fans that I was texting with during the game.  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

He seemed off today.  He had only 2 passing TDs.  Playing the way he did last week, IMO we score 38+.  

He wasn't bad, not at all, just seemed off. 

I mean 116 1st half passing yards and 7 1st-Downs?  You gonna try and tell us all that was good now too?  

;) 

He had 3 TDs, rushing TDs count too lol.  

And you mean the first half where your Boy Davis and others killed 3 drives on dropped passes that would have been first downs instead of Punts?

Not sure how that’s all on Allen.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Eyeroll 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

He had 3 TDs, rushing TDs count too lol.  

And you mean the first half where your Boy Davis and others killed 3 drives on dropped passes that would have been first downs instead of Punts?

Not sure how that’s all on Allen.

LOL, you'd make a great politician.  

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Plenty of other factors from injuries to horrific refs that contributed to this loss, but we had 4 drives ended by dropped passes and that’s all in our control.  Would have been 5 too but a penalty negated the play.  

Cook, Knox, Diggs, Davis all dropped passes that killed our drives which would have been first downs, with Davis having a second drop for a first down erased off the stat sheet by a penalty.

Feels like the only people who showed up to play with any fire today was Allen, Diggs and AJE.  Milano and Daquan get a pass as they were hurt.

But the dropped passes in a game where refs were working against us were just killers.

I agree about the critical drops, where if the big salary guys finally make some plays above what are routine plays, plays you see other teams stars making at big times, ( watch the chiefs guys making plays for mahomes) this team could consistently control their own fate in games.   We just don’t see that happen on any consistent basis.   Also, after Dorsey/Allen combined for that bad JETS game , it looked like they were on their way only to revert back to many poor decisions. Despite all the success w josh under center , they went back to runs out of the shotgun and many times faced second downs with long yardage.  

Again, only 10 runs or so today after 3 games of over 20 attempts and it’s head scratching why they keep three good backs active yet couldn’t effectively use them today.   Dorseys play calling was uninspired, and i cant give JOSH a full pass when he at times seems situationally unaware where he refused to just run for what looked like easy to get 1st downs and threw risky passes again.  Long gains/ times getting in jags territory were negated and ended up with no points. Dorsey /Allen failed to adjust early enough to the jags taking away their short passing game, or change tempo until it was desperate and was a huge hole.  By then , the d was breaking down under the pressure, giving up time consuming possessions as the injuries kept mounting. Watching the adjustment to  going more vertical only after being two scores down , coupled with the drops you pointed out , and it was too little , too late once again. Dorsey / Allen seem to  get out coached at times and Peterson/ Saleh  both got the better of Dorsey predominantly.   It feels like two very unnecessary losses, especially todays , when we have evidence like last week that they are capable of much better.  Frustrating! 

Just from being down here in Jax, the jags were looking at this as a big measuring stick for them as the season progresses.  They were really primed to compete today , and it was apparent early that the BILLS did not match them in intensity until later in the game. This staff drops the ball at times and this was another example of mentally being out competed. Too many very poor penalties that sustained drives for the jags AFTER WE HAD STOPPED THEM. I think it’s fair to expect better than that from a very mature squad

.  Diggs CONSISTENTLY shows up; cant say that for many other offensive players from an intensity perspective other than Josh. The mcd/beane team is really facing a battle now given all these injuries. The season may be much more of a climb given the possible critical losses; i mean who is the one guy everybody would agree losing is a huge blow, MILANO.     MCD seemed very intense and was trying to get them to “play with more energy” , expects quality and is willing to bench guys not producing. I don’t think Frazier did that enough , and i am still not sure with Dorsey even with his outbursts in the booth. Maybe that’s why critical drops just keep appearing; something just doesn’t translate / transfer at times.  Just a thought as i am watching a KC team where their playmakers support mahomes more CONSISTENTLY than the corresponding guys support ALLEN. Not seeing KC GUYS dropping the ball like we see at times with the BILLS. 

I said it at the beginning of the year, bills won't win a Superbowl with Gabe as thier #2, unless Kincaid blows up as the #2, the bills will never be a championship team with davis as #2. 

The bills lost 2 games last year because of Gabe Davis drops, flat out lost because of his drops. And today I wouldn’t say the bills lost solely because of his drop today but that was a HUGE momentum killer. 

If the Davis and Knox drops were a problem last year, what are we calling them now?

It's a serious issue that Continues

Edited by Norcalbillsfan

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Agree for the most part.  

As to the first part, not having the horses, we had AJE who played a career game, Oliver, and Floyd, our LBs after the undersized Williams and Dodson as you mention are not meant to anchor an entire LB unit.  I'm sure you'll recall my statements over the past few months as to if Milano got hurt we'd be screwed entirely at LB.  Well, that day has arrived.  

Milano covered some weaknesses in the unit to be sure.  But here's the thing, if we're not happy, this has to be on Beane.  IMO there's enough there to piece together an average D if one knows what they're doing.  Miller will be back full in a week or two, ... presumably.  

But also, we're hardly the only team to have injuries, and like other teams that sustain significant ones, we'll simply have to deal with it.  We can't cry in our soup over ours but neglect the fact that other teams deal with them expectedly too.  

While I was watching the game I kept thinking to myself, please please please no OL-men injured.  Our offense is intact.  

Allen had a pocket today that I don't recall having seen in the past several seasons.  You know my belief, that it's the offense that's going to carry this team.  And while Jax has a decent D, it's not so good that it should have held us to 20 points.  

It seems that the biggest issue was that Allen seemed tired and out of it.  If he's on as he typically is, then we probably win that game.  

As to the sports science, I have no idea what transpired over the week re: "sports science," all I know is what I read today, so I have no idea what's going on re: SS and the team, but common sense would dictate what you said as well, not sure why science is needed.  And it would have been prudent to have erred on the side of more days than not enough.  

Agree on the penalties, in fact those are the ones that I'd have pointed out as well.   A few less egregious but going both ways otherwise.  But in the example of RTP on Jags' Allen, I mean what's he supposed to do, or any D player in those situations, remove his head.  LOL  

Ahhh, it is what it is.  I'm most concerned about allowing nearly 500 net yards to a team led by the likes of Ridley, Kirk, and Engram on the receiving end.  They're all very good players but none are superlative or even close.  Engram's a good but far from great TE.  

The LB unit's going to be a problem, but for exactly the reasons I'd warned about as you realize.  We play a very unconventional form of defense, regularly, that I don't see any other teams employing.  Not saying that there isn't one, just saying I haven't see one.  But it was also predicated heavily upon Milano.  

The flip side, as I've pointed out, is that defense typically fails us come playoff time, so as long as the offense can optimize itself, and we did not do that today, then we should be fine.  

At present though we're leaning more and towards perhaps a 10-7 finish, a WC seed, and having to get hot offensively, on the road, in the playoffs.  

We'll see what happens, but we're 2-2 Conference now and in a four-way tie for 1-1 division.  We should beat the Jets at home and I'd be stunned if we don't take two from NE, so it may very well come down to whether or not we can beat @ Miami for the division.  Given the injury developments I'm guessing that they're a better bet to win the division at this point  

Nobody ever argued that losing Milano wouldn't be a problem. But Bernard played a good game, again. Even with clowns to the left of him and jokers to the right. I have certainly never told you we'd be find with Dodson or Williams in. In fact before Bernard came out and showed us he can play I called that position a liability based on pre-season. 

And we didn't have Floyd all day today. He came out of the game too nicked up. We ended the game with a practice squad DTackle playing defensive end on our first unit. We were already down both our starting corners. And our best player on D was gone and replaced by two guys who have no business out there (one not good enough and one currently an overmatched rookie). Add to that Taron missed time... I mean the personnel we had out there at times today on defense was exactly the sort of defense I'd expect a good QB - which Trevor is - to exploit. 

39 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

Cook was useless today and Allen screwed up an RPO where the Jags lined up 3 guys on Cook's right side and Allen handed it off when he had 1 on 1 matchups to his left. 2 yard lost on that

He had to kill that play if it is the one I think you are on about. That was on Josh. Should have killed the play and it should have been a quick pass out to the other side. 

11 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

Yup and that speaks to decision making and it seemed the team didn't adjust well to the time difference and weren't rested enough to focus 100%

I definitely think the time difference was a factor. It is fine if it is the same for both teams. But it wasn't. Jax had a significant advantage.

But the injuries are just bad luck I think.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.