The Dolphins are in huge cap trouble moving forward...

warrior9

Obviously yesterday's game was dominated by the Bills but Miami is still a very good football team with a ton of talent. They're going to win a lot of games this year and will keep pace with us for the division.

They're clearly the closest team to us for the foreseeable future within the division (Rodgers may have a year but that will be short lived) so I went to Spotrac to see what their cap situation looks like for next year ..... and it's not good. Their top 5-6 players are all WAY over paid, uncuttable, and most of them aren't performing (outside of Hill).

Hill- 31M - 52 dead cap 

Jalen Ramsey- 27M - 32.5 Dead Cap- WAAYY past his prime and coming off an injury.

Chubb- 27M- 42 Dead cap- Has been an AWFUL trade / signing

Xavien Howard- 26M - 27 dead cap - Hasn't been good for years

Terron Armstead - 20M - 24 Dead cap - 32 and oft injured 

Ogbah on the hook for 17 and Jerome Baker for 14. 

This is without signing Tua yet, without signing Christian (the dirtbag) Wilkins, Waddle, Connor Williams etc. They have had some horrific deals and they clearly need help across the OL, at LB, and Safety. Seems like Grier has strapped this team with bad deals ... LOVE to see it. 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Obviously yesterday's game was dominated by the Bills but Miami is still a very good football team with a ton of talent. They're going to win a lot of games this year and will keep pace with us for the division.

They're clearly the closest team to us for the foreseeable future within the division (Rodgers may have a year but that will be short lived) so I went to Spotrac to see what their cap situation looks like for next year ..... and it's not good. Their top 5-6 players are all WAY over paid, uncuttable, and most of them aren't performing (outside of Hill).

Hill- 31M - 52 dead cap - Restructure and save something like 18M and this will be done as Hill is still ELITE and show no signs this would not be a safe can kick.

Jalen Ramsey- 27M - 32.5 Dead Cap- WAAYY past his prime and coming off an injury. - DIdnt like this contract for them, still dont.  Should not touch this contract but they will and kick the can some more with a Aging player coming off INJ

Chubb- 27M- 42 Dead cap- Has been an AWFUL trade / signing - Stuck with him for at last 2024 unless could use a post June 1 cut and spread the mistake over two years of Dead money

Xavien Howard- 26M - 27 dead cap - Hasn't been good for years - I bet they hang on again.  and restructure this as they need cap, with only 35 players on contract and will be a mistake.

Terron Armstead - 20M - 24 Dead cap - 32 and oft injured - Top end OT when healthy - and there is the problem never healthy lately smart this here is leave this contract alone.

Ogbah on the hook for 17 and Jerome Baker for 14. - Both will be gone.

This is without signing Tua yet, without signing Christian (the dirtbag) Wilkins, Waddle, Connor Williams etc. They have had some horrific deals and they clearly need help across the OL, at LB, and Safety. Seems like Grier has strapped this team with bad deals ... LOVE to see it. 

Comments in Bold

35 on contract and 22M over cap.  Can make that up easy with some smart financial things.

Kick Hills can down the road frees up like 16-18M

Re-sign TUA can get his cap hit down to 8Mish.  That would put them cap compliant.

Ogbah and Baker gone and there is about 16M to sign players.  Will likely need to do some more, but they are not too bad cap wise YET.

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

Hill- 31M - 52 dead cap 

Jalen Ramsey- 27M - 32.5 Dead Cap- WAAYY past his prime and coming off an injury.

Yep. Tua will demand a HUGE salary because some other team will give it to him. Then you have to pay Waddle. Even Tua's 5th-year option is a huge raise in cap hit. I also expect that he might not want to play on that 5th-year option. The Fins are all in this year because the party winds down really fast. 

Just now, MAJBobby said:

35 on contract and 22M over cap.  Can make that up easy with some smart financial things.

Re-sign TUA can get his cap hit down to 8Mish.  That would put them cap compliant.

Ogbah and Baker gone and there is about 16M to sign players.  Will likely need to do some more, but they are not too bad cap wise YET.

Yeah but Wilkins, Connor Williams, and Waddle also need BIG contracts. 

I agree, there are things they can do (as evidenced by the saints getting down 50M every year somehow) but they are close to being in trouble. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

Yep. Tua will demand a HUGE salary because some other team will give it to him. Then you have to pay Waddle. Even Tua's 5th-year option is a huge raise in cap hit. I also expect that he might not want to play on that 5th-year option. The Fins are all in this year because the party winds down really fast. 

He is on his 5th year next year.  A re-signing even with top money lowers his immediate hit.

I think Waddle will be gone and not get a second contract

Just now, warrior9 said:

Yeah but Wilkins, Connor Williams, and Waddle also need BIG contracts. 

I agree, there are things they can do (as evidenced by the saints getting down 50M every year somehow) but they are close to being in trouble. 

Wilkins will walk

Williams NEEDS to be re-signed he handles the protections not Tua

Waddle I have a big feeling doesnt see a second contract either

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

He is on his 5th year next year.  A re-signing even with top money lowers his immediate hit.

Wilkins will walk

If Waddle walks, I'd be elated. He USUALLY does good work on us. 

Wilkins is a scumbag 

and if they don't prioritize Connor Williams they're going to be F--- more on the OL than they already are. 

OK, think about this: They let wilkins, ogbah and jerome baker walk.. they have to replace them... how do they do that? with WORSE talent? So THIS is their SB window year? 

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The cap is just accounting, I’m sure then dolphins can figure it out. That said, they have some bad contracts on their books

Dude, these are reminiscent of Whaley contracts. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

The cap is just accounting, I’m sure then dolphins can figure it out. That said, they have some bad contracts on their books

That Chubb contract is an Anchor.  

1 minute ago, warrior9 said:

If Waddle walks, I'd be elated. He USUALLY does good work on us. 

Wilkins is a scumbag 

and if they don't prioritize Connor Williams they're going to be F--- more on the OL than they already are. 

OK, think about this: They let wilkins, ogbah and jerome baker walk.. they have to replace them... how do they do that? with WORSE talent? So THIS is their SB window year? 

Dude, these are reminiscent of Whaley contracts. 

They did set themselves up to make the Run this year or Bust. 

That Entire Defense will get an overhaul as Fangio wants "HIS" players.  and there are already signs of that Howard not following Diggs, Howard then coming out and allude to the "scheme" so he will do as asked. 

Issue is they overpayed for some really mediocre players and injury risks.  And now hanging.  

Waddle or Hill will be gone within 2 years they are not paying two.  And Fin Fans are getting tired of Waddle disappearing act in big games and availability issues, (ooo he also has alot of drops in their minds)

10 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Comments in Bold

Hill claims he is dead serious about retiring after the 2025 season because he has so many other things he wants to do other than just play football in his life.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

That Chubb contract is an Anchor.  

They did set themselves up to make the Run this year or Bust. 

That Entire Defense will get an overhaul as Fangio wants "HIS" players.  and there are already signs of that Howard not following Diggs, Howard then coming out and allude to the "scheme" so he will do as asked. 

Issue is they overpayed for some really mediocre players and injury risks.  And now hanging.  

Waddle or Hill will be gone within 2 years they are not paying two.  And Fin Fans are getting tired of Waddle disappearing act in big games and availability issues, (ooo he also has alot of drops in their minds)

That's basically it, yepp. 

Diggs has a lot of drops too. It happens, it's the NFL. When you're targets 100+ times, drops happen. If they push him out, again, I'll be elated and they deserve to be bottom dwellers. Who will be afraid of Hill, Berrios, and Smythe? LOL 

3 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Comments in Bold

I think the bigger issues you'll face are the fact that you can't kick the can for Chubb because that requires more commitment to an overpaid player.  Howard you stick with for 2024 as there aren't cap savings.  Armstead is already restructured, and more would commit to him even further for a 33 year old oft injured LT.  

You can definitely get some cap space, and they'll lock Tua up.  The 2020 draft was 3 1st round picks for miami and 2 look like whiffs so they save on some 5th year options and extensions there.  The problem is Hunt is a free agent from the class, as is Davis.  So two good players who will get paid there by them or others.  4 of 5 starting linemen are free agents.  

Then in this offseason they have 2 other 5th year option decisions in waddle and phillips, plus a likely tag for wilkins.  The wilkins tag will eat into a lot of the cap savings on restructures, so they'll need to extend him to have room to improve the roster for 2024.  2025 will be interesting as they likely have to then pay waddle and phillips, plus year 1 of the new deal with Tua assuming they extend him to lower the 2024 cap burden of the 5th year option.   

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Hill claims he is dead serious about retiring after the 2025 season because he has so many other things he wants to do other than just play football in his life.

Well if that is really the case the result is Hill off the roster, and no savings as Dead = Cap hit.  So if that is a possibility they will really hurt themselves kicking his hit down the road, and they SHOULD NOT have done it this year either, because that COST them Waddle in the future IMO 

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He said on some podcast that he wants to get into the adult industry as a "performer" after retirement. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

The Chubb deal never made sense to me. As a trade or an extension. He was good in 2018, then meh for 4 years. That was worthy of a 1st rounder? 

Three massive contracts that don’t fit the billing; Howard, Chubb & Ramsey (however that’s only due to the availability since the trade). Armstead you can make a case for but they need Tackle help and on a good day he’s a pretty decent option, for $20m though… ehhhh. 

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

He said on some podcast that he wants to get into the adult industry as a "performer" after retirement. 

Yup, but he also wants to go into business and own teams and do other things as well...

22 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

You think he ball parks Josh’s numbers in the lower top-10? I can’t see how you can justify giving him top 3 with the injury history. However, if Daniel Jones is able to secure that much $ p/y then a case can be made for Tua as he has had far more productive games. 

2 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

That's basically it, yepp. 

Diggs has a lot of drops too. It happens, it's the NFL. When you're targets 100+ times, drops happen. If they push him out, again, I'll be elated and they deserve to be bottom dwellers. Who will be afraid of Hill, Berrios, and Smythe? LOL 

Berrios is a UFA next year too so they are in alot of trouble.  Also used Draft capital that they could have used to fill this team with impactful rookie contracts on the Chubbs, Ramseys, and Armsteads of the world.  Now they have no major talent on Rookie Deals. 

It looks to me like a Bills year two (under McD) stepback coming next year to be honest.  It looks work than I thought.

39M over the cap

39 Players on Contract

Javon Holland being really the ONLY impact player on a Rookie Deal (Achane too but that is a RB)

Connor Williams (primary OG) and now showing can start at Center as well  He will get 15M AAV in market.

Wilkins - Smart move here is to deal him at the deadline for picks (they wont this is their window) but they will not re-sign him he wants top 5 DT money and in Fangios defense not the same player two gapping - So he will leave and they will love the 3rd compensatory as well because they will need to sign UFAs

Van Ginkel - will be paid either in MIA or elswhere Fangio defense he is excelling in and will make himself alot of money this year

Elliott - should be re-signed (likely will get paid elsewhere) but really the ONLY safety that fits what Fangio wants to do.  

To be honest the RIGHT way for MIA to fix their defense is Fire the locked in his way Fangio and hire a DC that will tailor His effective scheme to the players (maybe Salah once he is fired).

The Chubb deal never made sense to me. As a trade or an extension. He was good in 2018, then meh for 4 years. That was worthy of a 1st rounder? 

Ross wants to win a SB so badly just to rub it Goodell's face for punishing him. Because of this, he's demanding high-profile moves even if they don't make sense. People remember Chubb from the draft. I mean, they were trying to get Jonathan Taylor just to make a splash when RB is a strong suit of their roster. They sign an obviously declining Jalen Ramsay. All these moves fit the mold of an owner meddling in player-personnel decisions.

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

You think he ball parks Josh’s numbers in the lower top-10? I can’t see how you can justify giving him top 3 with the injury history. However, if Daniel Jones is able to secure that much $ p/y then a case can be made for Tua as he has had far more productive games. 

QBS get paid.  He will be paid like a top 5 QB.

I think though he is not that he is a very good QB that needs things around him.  To me that is always not a top 3 salary.  I dont think he is like Josh, Mahomes, Barrow (maybe) that elevate others around him with his play.  

3 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Ross wants to win a SB so badly just to rub it Goodell's face for punishing him. Because of this, he's demanding high-profile moves even if they don't make sense. People remember Chubb from the draft. I mean, they were trying to get Jonathan Taylor just to make a splash when RB is a strong suit of their roster. They sign an obviously declining Jalen Ramsay. All these moves fit the mold of an owner meddling in player-personnel decisions.

Yep and this is going to crush them in about 3 weeks watch.  

Here are their 2024 picks

1st

2nd

5th

6th

7th

I bet they will use one of their 1st or 2nd to go get a CB or DL at the deadline watch.  

Greir knows this season is the season and will throw more assets at the deadline to get that SB chance.  

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Berrios is a UFA next year too so they are in alot of trouble.  Also used Draft capital that they could have used to fill this team with impactful rookie contracts on the Chubbs, Ramseys, and Armsteads of the world.  Now they have no major talent on Rookie Deals. 

It looks to me like a Bills year two (under McD) stepback coming next year to be honest.  It looks work than I thought.

39M over the cap

39 Players on Contract

Javon Holland being really the ONLY impact player on a Rookie Deal (Achane too but that is a RB)

Connor Williams (primary OG) and now showing can start at Center as well  He will get 15M AAV in market.

Wilkins - Smart move here is to deal him at the deadline for picks (they wont this is their window) but they will not re-sign him he wants top 5 DT money and in Fangios defense not the same player two gapping - So he will leave and they will love the 3rd compensatory as well because they will need to sign UFAs

Van Ginkel - will be paid either in MIA or elswhere Fangio defense he is excelling in and will make himself alot of money this year

Elliott - should be re-signed (likely will get paid elsewhere) but really the ONLY safety that fits what Fangio wants to do.  

To be honest the RIGHT way for MIA to fix their defense is Fire the locked in his way Fangio and hire a DC that will tailor His effective scheme to the players (maybe Salah once he is fired).

I love Javon Holland's game. He has future Bill written all over him (that would be great) 

All in all, I agree with this post. 

12 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I dont know if it's true but it fits.  The Ramsey move to me is the biggest head-scratcher.   He's lost more than a step.

They will restructure plenty of deals the next few years the same as Beane has been doing

If anything the Bills are in more of a precarious salary cap position because we have already restucutred lots of deals. I don't think Miami has begun that part of there cycle yet.

Now in comparison 

Bills

31M over cap. 

with 42 players on contract.

So we will have work to do as well.  

We have Tickets of producing players that can be cashed for space (unlike MIA).  Though we also have to start getting more impact from players on Rookie Deals (specially on Offense) but That said here is a similar Comparison

Cook Rookie Deal - Achane 

Davis - Waddle

Shakir - Need more from him on his rookie deal soon

Shorter - cannot wait to see if we have something there as he comes off his redshirt season (Kind of need him to perform on this rookie deal)

Kincaid 

Brown what looks like coming back into form like rookie year is VITAL for the OL on while on his rookie deal

Torrence - Performing like he is as a Rookie is HUGE, you could have a future All Pro on a cost controlled contract until 2026.

Groot doing what he is on his Rookie Deal

Bernard playing like he is IS HUGE for cap management going forward

Benford a starting CB on a rookie Deal

Dane a solid BU on his Rookie deal 

There is just more that allows flexibility here compared to MIA because of the impact players we do have on rookie deals.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

They will restructure plenty of deals the next few years the same as Beane has been doing

If anything the Bills are in more of a precarious salary cap position because we have already restucutred lots of deals. I don't think Miami has begun that part of there cycle yet.

The Bills have more than 35 players under contract lol

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Wilkins will walk

That would be JETS like for them not to resign Waddle. I say this because Hill has already stated he is retiring when his contract is up. So they would literally in 2 years go from the best WR Dia to not having a top weapon anymore.

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

They do every year and have been very year since Ross has taken over and that is all without a long term Contract at the QB spot.

1 minute ago, PatsFanNH said:

That would be JETS like for them not to resign Waddle. I say this because Hill has already stated he is retiring when his contract is up. So they would literally in 2 years go from the best WR Dia to not having a top weapon anymore.

Thats after the 2026 season.  Waddle will need that top end WR contract Next year I bet.  that is year 3 of his Rookie Deal.  He will hold out ala Wilkins this year.  Not gonna wait on Hill to retire to want his bag. 

13 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

I love Javon Holland's game. He has future Bill written all over him (that would be great) 

All in all, I agree with this post. 

I do as well.  If he walks out of MIA I would love to slide him in right as a Poyer replacement in the future.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, warrior9 said:

The Bills have more than 35 players under contract lol

The Bills have 42 under contract. -31 million for 2024

Miami has 39 under contract -39 million for 2024

The Bills have restructred lots of deals, Miami still hasn't started that cycle yet

Fail to see a huge difference between our situation and Miami's. Miami has more wiggle room with restructuring. We will need to let players walk and replace

Oh I almost forgot the obligatory LoL

Edited by ddaryl

Just now, ddaryl said:

The Bills have restructred lots of deals, Miami still hasn't started that cycle yet

Fail to see a huge difference between our situation and Miami's. Miami has more wiggle room with restructuring. We will need to let players walk and replace

Two things.  

Bills have started restructures, just like Miami.

Bills Big Contracts players are still playing at a High level and little risk in kicking that can down the road for them (maybe vice Von we will see soon enough).  Miami not so much.

Bills have the Bank of Allen, on a long term deal that will continue to be banked for space.  Tua Still NEEDS that contract. 

THERE is your differences

51 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Wilkins will walk

I feel the opposite. I’d be looking to move on from Tyreek who is 29 and stay with Waddle 

Will be interesting to see what they do with the cap 

Just now, ddaryl said:

I guess a big difference is that our big money players are actually performing well. Tre White and Von Miller have hurt us some with their injuries in that regard.  Knox has slightly underperformed his payday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, DJB said:

I feel the opposite. I’d be looking to move on from Tyreek who is 29 and stay with Waddle 

Will be interesting to see what they do with the cap 

That is what they Should do as well.  But gonna have to get the cap space somewhere.  Already kicked Hills contract once (This year) will likely do it again next year adding 2 void years to take advantage of the 5 year max restructure rule. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

Oh I almost forgot the obligatory LoL

I'm no capologist but Josh has his big deal and Tua doesn't.

Once they sign Tua to his long termer.... That will change the makeup of this debate.

As it stands (sans Tua) the bills seem to be in a marginally better cap position, but Tua is the x factor. And he's injury prone so I'm interested to see how it plays out if Tua misses sig time like he has the last 2 years.

Aren't we in one of the worst cap positions in the league going into next year? 

We're one of 8 teams projected over the cap, and it gets even worse in 2025 as there will only be 2 teams with worse cap space.

We have 10 players accounting for 70% of our cap next year, and several of them are 30+ years old, dealing with injuries or both. 

So I'm not going to judge the Dolphins, as I'm sure both them & us will find some way to get under the cap. 

Miamis only cap issue more than likely is signing Tua. But when that money needs to kick in they’ll be able to get out of some of these contracts that look bad now. 
I still view them hovering around having to blow it all up. I view McDaniels offense like Greg Romans. Great scheme. Motion all over. Plays to the offense’s strengths and hides some limitations of the quarterback and offensive line. But the inability to expand the playbook and make adjustments means the better teams will get used to defending it and it becomes less and less effective. 
McDaniel hasn’t been on the job long enough to say he can’t expand more but their best performances are against the weakest defenses. Very much reminds me of the ravens offense in Lamar’s mvp year. 

Edited by Rc2catch

1 hour ago, warrior9 said:

Hill- 31M - 52 dead cap 

We are 32 mil over the cap next year.  Granted, Diggs and Allen restructures will clean a lot of that up.  

We do need to re-sign Jackson too.  But I think Beane will be able to make it work fairly easily. 

• Like (+1) 1

I mean the Bills aren't much better than the Phins right now. I am sure the Phins can get some short term relief if they offer Tua a big deal and cut down the 2024 hit.

But yeah, the Ramsay contract is a millstone next for a 30 year old CB coming off of injury. Chubb's discount is set to run out next year. Armstead is uncuttable.

They have some tough contracts.

I'd still rather be them than the Jets in 2025

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Wilkins will walk

Letting Waddle go would be a mistake IMO. I think Wilkins is the one you let walk if it comes to it. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.