Deshaun Watson keeping it classy

Virgil

44 minutes ago, mannc said:

When was the last time you saw an NFL QB called for one facemask penalty

A year or two ago Josh Allen picked up a blitzing Rams 'backer by the facemask and threw him at Leonard Floyd, then proceeded to stiff arm Aaron Donald and create enough space to throw it away and avoid a sack. :o

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

He’s a weird creepy dude and his arm strength was suspect before the 2 year layoff.  However I wouldn’t call that a ‘shove’ of the ref.  More like moving him aside.  But in today’s search for clicks, gotta sensationalize the headline.  Kinda like the Glab/Diggs ‘trash-talking’.  

It wasn't egregious, but you just don't put hands on the stripes.

Stick them in your waistband if you have to, but do not touch an official. Period.

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

If I’m not mistaken doesn’t Watson’s contract cap hit jump to $40M next year? Currently, he doesn’t look anywhere near a top QB in the league.

That contract may go down as the worst in NFL history and will have major roster impacts for the Browns.

59 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

His decline actually reminds me of Cam Newton. 

Just evaluating Watson as a player, it's hard to believe that just one year off could cause that much decline in his game... and he's had plenty of time to shake off the rust... but he doesn't appear to be the same player.

He actually reminds me of Daunte Culpepper: good athlete, very smooth, stronger and faster than you think, but really lacking that quick twitch. He seems a bit lethargic in every physical act.

56 minutes ago, mannc said:

When was the last time you saw an NFL QB called for one facemask penalty, much less two in the same game?  This guy is unhinged.  Also, does anyone else think Watson has packed on a lot of weight?  He doesn't seem to move well at all anymore.  Maybe they're feeding him meds to quell his deviant urges. 

I'm pretty sure the Steelers were trash talking mercilessly. I think that had a lot to do with the two facemasks and the pushing of the official.

1 hour ago, TFBillsfan said:

If I’m not mistaken doesn’t Watson’s contract cap hit jump to $40M next year? Currently, he doesn’t look anywhere near a top QB in the league.

That contract may go down as the worst in NFL history and will have major roster impacts for the Browns.

As reported by @ColoradoBills in the game thread last night, it goes up to $64 mil per year for the next 3 seasons.  Good luck with that.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-21753/

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Wow Watson received 100 percent guaranteed $230mm!? This to a guy most folks wouldn't leave alone with their wife, kids or dog.  Well Browns fans, you get what you pay for!

BTW heartbreaking to see an All-Pro RB and good guy like Nick Chubb go down with a brutal injury.  

Edited by freddyjj
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Chubb out for season, Watson inept, I sense a top 10 draft pick being used on a QB...oh wait the Texans have that pick from the Watson trade.

Signing a vet (Cousins, Tannehill, Mayfield(?!)) probably not possible since Watson has a cap # of $64 million and dead cap of $201 million. On the bright side, they have their top picks in '25. Anyone know what the QBs look like in the '25 draft class? 

Not looking good for them. 

8 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

As reported by @ColoradoBills in the game thread last night, it goes up to $64 mil per year for the next 3 seasons.  Good luck with that.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/deshaun-watson-21753/

It's one thing to go all in when you're staring at four aces, but not when you're drawing to an inside straight. The Browns made a stupid gamble on an unknown quantity, and it's going to haunt them for years.

7 minutes ago, MJS said:

For a mediocre QB. Crazy.

Living in Cleveland I get to see his game more now.  Weak pocket awareness and his ball placement/accuracy is randomly a little sketchy.  On full display last night.  Last week I chalked it up to the rain but plain to see last night.  I won't be sad if he gets suspended/injured at some point because they late round drafted this QB from UCLA, Dorian Thompson-Robinson, who did some good things this preseason with moxie and may have a legit chance to be a starter down the line.

2 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

It's one thing to go all in when you're staring at four aces, but not when you're drawing to an inside straight. The Browns made a stupid gamble on an unknown quantity, and it's going to haunt them for years.

But how unknown was it? The last time he had played, he led the league in passing yards and had his best statistical season on a 4-12 tanking Texans team that had traded away his best WR. Then he "took a year off" and has now completely fallen off. It's really strange.

4 hours ago, AlfaBill said:

He’s a jerk.  Off 

Now if he is suspended are the Browns still paying him his fully guaranteed contract?  I mean if he is thrown out of the league he isn't carrying out his contractual obligation for the guaranteed money. 

Edited by AuntieEm

56 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Just evaluating Watson as a player, it's hard to believe that just one year off could cause that much decline in his game... and he's had plenty of time to shake off the rust... but he doesn't appear to be the same player.

He actually reminds me of Daunte Culpepper: good athlete, very smooth, stronger and faster than you think, but really lacking that quick twitch. He seems a bit lethargic in every physical act.

I'm pretty sure the Steelers were trash talking mercilessly. I think that had a lot to do with the two facemasks and the pushing of the official.

Could claim workplace harassment I suppose lol.  Yes he'd likely have a somewhat legal basis to file a claim but that would really set off social media and general public ridicule.  

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

https://x.com/profootballtalk/status/1704124784177545435?s=46&t=L452HseFOUPXMh5JPrb9nw

Good thing he doesn’t have a history of poor behavior, or he might be considered less of a role model

The two face mask penalties were bad enough - he could have hurt two players.

When did he shove a ref, and why wasn't he tossed for that?

AJ Epenesa got tossed for putting an elbow back when a ref shoved him from behind, then turning around and apologizing when he saw it was a ref.

Ref tossed him anyway.

4 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Man am I ever glad that my Pats didn’t make the deal to get him. Seems he is unraveling.

Pretty sure he was unraveled when he was forcefully putting his dick in dozens of young women’s mouths. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.