Terrel Bernard Appreciation Thread

Rigotz

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I see that weakness in the run game is where he is anchoring his criticism. I'm sure a smaller LB will have some issues there. What I don't quite get is how Edmunds' loss could become the key to an argument at the position if being a liability in the run game is the criteria. I sure don't recall the fella focusing on it all summer in the endless posts about LB. Regardless, Edmunds' specialty is getting dragged for three or four yards before making a stop on a rb, so I don't see how that is a stellar floor that Bernard will struggle to match.

Bernard will have times he’s washed away from the play or gets blown up.  Especially if the OL get to the second level.

But over the course of the game, were the mostly effective or mostly non-effective.

A few plays here or there doesn’t prove a point.

Bernard is playing very well so far.  We have a lot more of the season to declare him good or not.

• Like (+1) 2

I criticized Bernard and his size relentlessly.  So far he is making me look silly ( no hard feat). Hope he keeps making plays. He is so much more instinctual as a player compared to Edmunds. Especially when he blitzes. Edmunds would run right at the guard. Bernard is taking angles and shooting through gaps.

I still worry about his size if some team commits to running the ball. But so far he has been a revelation. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I don’t think Edmunds ever had the kind of game Bernard had today

No he never did in 5 full seasons. We just got used to the fact that Tremaine rarely generated splash plays. Today's performance by Terrell was ridiculous and extremely encouraging. Hope he continues to improve. Take a look at Edmunds stat line today compared to 43.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This kid is a straight playmaker. You can’t teach the instinct he has for the ball. Will he get overpowered on some runs? Probably. But his ability to create turnovers and big plays in space far outweighs that. He can turn a game with his play. What an eye for defensive/coverage talent McD has!

• Like (+1) 2

I’m definitely eating crow on Bernard and for the FO for drafting him to begin with. To echo what many have said, I still think he could be a liability of some team decides to run it all over us. But his coverage ability as well as his blitzing, and knack for being around the ball seems to outweigh it. He will get overpowered at times but u like Edmund’s he actually looks for angles and holes around the blockers instead of just plowing right into them. I was no fan of Edmunds either. Especially at the price tag that he was asking for. 

not saying it’s going to surely be the case for the whole season. We’ll see as the season goes on and teams start looking at Bernard and his weaknesses. But it’s looking like a solid pick and like, along with many others, we’re way off on this guy. 

keep balling out TB 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Bernard will have times he’s washed away from the play or gets blown up.  Especially if the OL get to the second level.

But over the course of the game, were the mostly effective or mostly non-effective.

A few plays here or there doesn’t prove a point.

Bernard is playing very well so far.  We have a lot more of the season to declare him good or not.

You allude to a very valid point.  Bernard has been able to play well because the DL is playing well and keeping the LBs clean.

If Bernard were having to get off blocks from the OL every play he’d not be able to make the plays he’s making

37 minutes ago, mrags said:

I’m definitely eating crow on Bernard and for the FO for drafting him to begin with. To echo what many have said, I still think he could be a liability of some team decides to run it all over us. But his coverage ability as well as his blitzing, and knack for being around the ball seems to outweigh it. He will get overpowered at times but u like Edmund’s he actually looks for angles and holes around the blockers instead of just plowing right into them. I was no fan of Edmunds either. Especially at the price tag that he was asking for. 

not saying it’s going to surely be the case for the whole season. We’ll see as the season goes on and teams start looking at Bernard and his weaknesses. But it’s looking like a solid pick and like, along with many others, we’re way off on this guy. 

keep balling out TB 

Same

As long as our DL keeps playing at a high level Bernard has a chance to keep looking good

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Might be? Should be hands down. He did what no LB has done since 2007!

I don’t decide the winner and I didn’t take a look and see what other defensive players have done this week. Might be, should be….  Is it that big of a deal?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.