Terrel Bernard Appreciation Thread

Rigotz

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I hate to say it but we were badly out coached on Sunday. On both sides of the ball. Poor clock and timeout management, awful offensive game plan, we let their two best players Etienne and Ridley go off on us.

This happened late in the game when we were wore down and didn't have the adequate personnel.

Look at it from the Jags fans perspective.  You played a Bills defense that was without Leonard Floyd, Matt Milano, DaQuan Jones, Tre White, Christian Benford, very limited Von Miller and Greg Rousseauc, not to mention Oliver went down for a bit, Kingsley Jonathan went off twice and AJ is breathing though a machine.....and it took until the Bills 3rd/4th string players to be exhausted where one had to play out of position before you started scoring? 

You scored 11 points by 4th against a preseason roster defense.   

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

Yes this is the optimistic take

however...I am not sure we can rely on turnovers to remain stable, there is a significant luck factor to them

the sacks and QB pressures should be reliable, but the turnovers inform ppg so if they trend toward average ppg will likely increase

not discounting injuries as a factor but those guys aren't coming back anytime soon and again I believe the defense was pretty overrated coming into Jags, they just proved it

How did they prove it?

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

This happened late in the game when we were wore down and didn't have the adequate personnel.

Look at it from the Jags fans perspective.  You played a Bills defense that was without Leonard Floyd, Matt Milano, DaQuan Jones, Tre White, Christian Benford, very limited Von Miller and Greg Rousseauc, not to mention Oliver went down for a bit, Kingsley Jonathan went off twice and AJ is breathing though a machine.....and it took until the Bills 3rd/4th string players to be exhausted where one had to play out of position before you started scoring? 

they had gained over 200 yards on the Bills defense by halftime

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

they had gained over 200 yards on the Bills defense by halftime

I guess that means the 49ers defense is overrated? They gave up 200 yards by half time against the Rams when the 49ers were healthy.  And get this...on only 3 possessions!  The Jags had 6 possessions on us. 

The Rams punted zero times by half time.  The Bills punted 4 times by half time.

Again, not to mention we were down Greg Rouseau, DaQuan Jones, Matt Milano, Leonard Floyd, Christian Benford and Tre White.  Von Miller was on strict pitch count.

A guy named Vickers playing edge.

What would have happened if the 49ers were without Nick Bosa, Fred Warner, Charvarious Ward and Jason Hargrave?  Do you think that would have factored negatively, positively or neutral?

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Here are two stats I want you to think about re the Bills defense rn

27th in opponents net yards/play

31th in opponents rush yards/attempt

Yea I completely get it. Our run D hasn't been good. But on film it is pretty clearly not a Bernard issue. And I say this as someone who started week 1 saying he would be a liability.

27 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I hate to say it but we were badly out coached on Sunday. On both sides of the ball. Poor clock and timeout management, awful offensive game plan, we let their two best players Etienne and Ridley go off on us.

I think the defensive issues Sunday were about personnel. I think our offensive gameplan was garbage. I am not even sure it was that much about them. It was about us. We majorly underperformed across the board.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I guess that means the 49ers defense is overrated? They gave up 200 yards by half time against the Rams when the 49ers were healthy.  And get this...on only 3 possessions!  The Jags had 6 possessions on us. 

The Rams punted zero times by half time.  The Bills punted 4 times by half time.

Again, not to mention we were down Greg Rouseau, DaQuan Jones, Matt Milano, Leonard Floyd, Christian Benford and Tre White.  Von Miller was on strict pitch count.

A guy named Vickers playing edge.

What would have happened if the 49ers were without Nick Bosa, Fred Warner, Charvarious Ward and Jason Hargrave?  Do you think that would have factored negatively, positively or neutral?

the Niners defense is at or near the top in nearly all significant statistical categories and the Bills defense is not

are you trying to argue that the defense was injured or the defense played well?

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea I completely get it. Our run D hasn't been good. But on film it is pretty clearly not a Bernard issue. And I say this as someone who started week 1 saying he would be a liability.

I think the defensive issues Sunday were about personnel. I think our offensive gameplan was garbage. I am not even sure it was that much about them. It was about us. We majorly underperformed across the board.

I think the defense looks so different in terms of QB pressure and turnovers that some legitimate issues have been overlooked

if you dive in a little this is not a fundamentally sound defense imo

31 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

They did have a game planning time advantage not having go anywhere let alone international and deal with jetlag.

Jet lag gave our players a disadvantage, not our coaches. I will cut the defense some slack because they lost players, the offense though has no excuse.

Edited by HappyDays

3 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I think the defense looks so different in terms of QB pressure and turnovers that some legitimate issues have been overlooked

if you dive in a little this is not a fundamentally sound defense imo

I don't disgaree with that. But Bernard, certainly in the run game, has not been the issue. 

28 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

The Jags offense has not been good though. The Chiefs held them to 9 points, the Texans held them to 17 points, the Falcons held them to 23 points. None of those defenses are super talented. And honestly they were moving the ball all day against us. If not for a few exceptional individual plays from our front 4 players, the game would have been out of hand by the 4th quarter.

• Agree 1

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think our offensive gameplan was garbage. I am not even sure it was that much about them. It was about us. We majorly underperformed across the board.

Yeah there is no excuse for an elite QB playing a great game leading to just 7 points over the first 52 minutes. It reminded me of the Bengals divisional game a bit, Dorsey was totally outclassed and had no answers.

At some point McDermott has to he accountable for the offense too. A lot of us talk about offensive coaching as it's completely separate from him, but he is the head coach. I don't know if he needs to be more active in game planning or in making gametime adjustments or what, but we can't keep having several games every year where our offense falls totally flat on its face mainly due to coaching issues.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

the Niners defense is at or near the top in nearly all significant statistical categories and the Bills defense is not

are you trying to argue that the defense was injured or the defense played well?

I'm not the one who brought up one halftime stat as an indicator that a defense is overrated.  I think the 49ers defense is great.  But I used your halftime stats argument to show that it's not a strong one.

You have to look at the context.  You say you're factoring injuries but you're not.  The score doesn't seem to matter to you.  

Let me ask you this.  We play the Jets again this year.

Lets play the scenario out just like the Jags game but for the Jets.

1st drive, Quinnen Williams goes down.

2nd drive, Mosley goes down.

John Franklin Meyers can only play 20 snaps.

Carl Lawson goes down early.

Sauce Gardner is already out.  

Jermaine Johnson is already out.

DJ Reed is already out.

If that happens and by the 4th quarter, we have 11 points but over 200 yards offense....wouldn't you be pretty negative on the Bills offense?  Or would you say the Jets defense was overrated?

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm not the one who brought up one halftime stat as an indicator that a defense is overrated.  I think the 49ers defense is great.  But I used your halftime stats argument to show that it's not a strong one.

You have to look at the context.  You say you're factoring injuries but you're not.  The score doesn't seem to matter to you.  

Let me ask you this.  We play the Jets again this year.

Lets play the scenario out just like the Jags game but for the Jets.

1st drive, Quinnen Williams goes down.

2nd drive, Mosley goes down.

John Franklin Meyers can only play 20 snaps.

Carl Lawson goes down early.

Sauce Gardner is already out.  

Jermaine Johnson is already out.

DJ Reed is already out.

If that happens and by the 4th quarter, we have 11 points but over 200 yards offense....wouldn't you be pretty negative on the Bills offense?  Or would you say the Jets defense was overrated?

you said the defense was worn down by the end of the game

that's why i gave you the halftime yardage

8 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

The Jags offense has not been good though. The Chiefs held them to 9 points, the Texans held them to 17 points, the Falcons held them to 23 points. None of those defenses are super talented. And honestly they were moving the ball all day against us. If not for a few exceptional individual plays from our front 4 players, the game would have been out of hand by the 4th quarter.

Was our defense super talented on Sunday?  

Do you think the Jags score 9 on the Chiefs if the Chiefs didn't have Chris Jones, Karlafatis, Nick Bolton, Trent McDuffie and L'Jarious Sneed?

We had a preseason DL playing.  It seems as though you think back ups should have the same impact as starters.  If it was one or two guys, yeah, I can understand.  But we lost our best players at every level.  We had 7-8 key defensive players out.  You have to factor that in.

9 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I dunno

have you taken a look at the all22 from Jags game yet? Im going thru it rn and Bernard isn't impressing

Yes. I think ge played well vs the run. If anything he was a little less impressive in coverage than my first instinct. But I still think he played a decent game. Around him was a ***** show.

11 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah there is no excuse for an elite QB playing a great leading to just 7 points over the first 52 minutes. It reminded me of the Bengals divisional game a bit, Dorsey was totally outclassed and had no answers.

At some point McDermott has to he accountable for the offense too. A lot of us talk about offensive coaching as it's completely separate from him, but he is the head coach. I don't know if he needs to be more active in game planning or in making gametime adjustments or what, but we can't keep having several games every year where our offense falls totally flat on its face mainly due to coaching issues.

Yea that is completely fair. McDermott doesn't get a pass for poor offensive plans two of the last 3 weeks. He signs off on them.

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

you said the defense was worn down by the end of the game

that's why i gave you the halftime yardage

They had 6 possessions!  That’s only a little more than 30 yards per drive.  Not to mention…11 points.

You don’t put a depleted defense in that situation and expect positive results in which he actually had.

If our offense does anything, the Jags are not getting 200 yards on offense by halftime.

To answer your earlier question.  I thought the defense played well, especially given the circumstances until the 4th when they were just way too depleted.

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

They had 6 possessions!  That’s only a little more than 30 yards per drive.  Not to mention…11 points.

You don’t put a depleted defense in that situation and expect positive results in which he actually had.

If our offense does anything, the Jags are not getting 200 yards on offense by halftime.

To answer your earlier question.  I thought the defense played well, especially given the circumstances until the 4th when they were just way too depleted.

They had 7posessions vs chiefs

Less than 200 yards

Allowed 6pts

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

They had 7posessions vs chiefs

Less than 200 yards

Allowed 6pts

Were the Chiefs missing Chris Jones, Nick Bolton, George K, Trent McDuffie, and L’Jarious Sneed?  

Do you think the Jags put up 200 yards on us if we had DaQuan Jones, Matt Milano, Tre White, Leonard Floyd, Christian Benford, Greg Rouseau and Von Miller or do those guys not move the needle much?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.