Terrel Bernard Appreciation Thread

Rigotz

Amidst all the negativity this season, I want to bump this thread one last time.

We found a true impact guy in the third round last year. The talking heads hated the pick. We hated the pick. Everyone was wrong.

Terrel Bernard through 12 games this year:

104 tackles

3 interceptions

3.5 sacks

Tremaine Edmunds through 5 years as a starter (full season averages):

113 tackles / yr

1 interception / yr

1.3 sacks / yr

It's not just about the splash plays either. His run fits and pass coverage have been beautiful.

Exciting to think about him and Milano paired for the next several years.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Rigotz said:

Amidst all the negativity this season, I want to bump this thread one last time.

We found a true impact guy in the third round last year. The talking heads hated the pick. We hated the pick. Everyone was wrong.

Terrel Bernard through 12 games this year:

104 tackles

3 interceptions

3.5 sacks

Tremaine Edmunds through 5 years as a starter (full season averages):

113 tackles / yr

1 interception / yr

1.3 sacks / yr

It's not just about the splash plays either. His run fits and pass coverage have been beautiful.

Exciting to think about him and Milano paired for the next several years.

Bernard is well ahead in the grouping of tackles for loss and fumble recoveries. By far a more complete linebacker.

38 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

I’m looking for the side door ‘Edmunds sucked’ thread

It’s so true!

the Bills defense has dropped 5 places this year. Fun fact, a defense ranked ahead of them are the Bears, who weee the 4th worst defense in the entire nfl last year and are now top 10.

now I’m not as a same as some of you. But I think MLBs are an important part of a defense. This is a crazy thought but maybe the MLB who was part of almost exclusively top 5 defenses here and helped the bears improve almost 15 spots might be a good player. 

this backhand Edmund’s sucks comments sucks. Obviously, he got overpaid but he’s a good dude and

player. And I like TB. I still worry about him holding up long term and think he would be even better as a OLB. 

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

It’s so true!

the Bills defense has dropped 5 places this year. Fun fact, a defense ranked ahead of them are the Bears, who weee the 4th worst defense in the entire nfl last year and are now top 10.

now I’m not as a same as some of you. But I think MLBs are an important part of a defense. This is a crazy thought but maybe the MLB who was part of almost exclusively top 5 defenses here and helped the bears improve almost 15 spots might be a good player. 

this backhand Edmund’s sucks comments sucks. Obviously, he got overpaid but he’s a good dude and

player. And I like TB. I still worry about him holding up long term and think he would be even better as a OLB.

The Bears are allowing 4 points more per game than the Bills.  And in the 2 games he missed allowed fewer than the average points allowed with him playing.

He's a good and high character dude.  He never lived up to his draft status and wasn't worth what the Bears gave him.  I don't think there's anything wrong in saying that.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bears are allowing 4 points more per game than the Bills.  And in the 2 games he missed allowed fewer than the average points allowed with him playing.

He's a good and high character dude.  He never lived up to his draft status and wasn't worth what the Bears gave him.  I don't think there's anything wrong in saying that.

I’d like to think you are smart enough to know why yards/ game is a better stat to use than points/ game to evaluate defense.  

few questions: 

so the bears haven’t made an improvement in defense this year?

the bills defense hasn’t regressed a bit?

are MLBs important players in a defense?

did the Bills have multiple seasons of top 3 defenses with Edmunds?

Is MLB typical a sack positions (since weird people like using sack stats again Edmunds. And I get ints, but TE has 2 this year)?

Im fine with going after guys who were trash people when they were here. TE barely talked and had zero issues here and was so really good Ds here. I think our defense is not as good this year and I like TB.  But for the best fanbase to go after a guy who did nothing wrong here over and over again seems tacky and corny. 

I’ll let Gabe Davis know this is coming for him next year. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I’d like to think you are smart enough to know why yards/ game is a better stat to use than points/ game to evaluate defense.  

few questions: 

so the bears haven’t made an improvement in defense this year?

the bills defense hasn’t regressed a bit?

are MLBs important players in a defense?

did the Bills have multiple seasons of top 3 defenses with Edmunds?

Is MLB typical a sack positions (since weird people like using sack stats again Edmunds. And I get ints, but TE has 2 this year)?

Im fine with going after guys who were trash people when they were here. TE barely talked and had zero issues here and was so really good Ds here. I think our defense is not as good this year and I like TB.  But for the best fanbase to go after a guy who did nothing wrong here over and over again seems tacky and corny. 

I’ll let Gabe Davis know this is coming for him next year. 

Is it?  Because games are won and lost based on yards, not points? :rolleyes:

The Bills' issues during most of their losses have been on offense, which is why Dorsey was fired.  The defense is allowing 19 PPG, which is actually fewer than their average last year.

Edited by Doc

15 minutes ago, Doc said:

The Bills' issues during most of their losses have been on offense, which is why Dorsey was fired.  The defense is allowing 19 PPG, which is actually fewer than their average last year.

I think the best way to e v a l defenses is efficiency per drive metrics.

Bills defense is 10th in points per drive and 13th in yards.

Last year they were 5th in points per drive and 13th in yards.

There's been a bit of a drop off defensively, but that's much more because of the losses of Milano, Tre, etc

Conversely, the Bears defense this season is 17th in yards and 26th in points, last year they were 30 and 32. Their defense is still horrific, but not the worst in the league.

And that's really all it comes down to. Edmunds is extremely physically gifted, but not a true difference maker, and thus was never worth a big contract for us. 

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Doc said:

So I guess you’re not 🙄 I’m disappointed. You are a doctor.

you do realize that points can occur in many different ways - turnovers, special teams, turnovers that put the defense, etc. to blindly use points is pretty stupid. 

but again, I’m sure the Bears having the biggest defensive turn around in the nfl has nothing to do with getting a new MLB. 🙄😉

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

you do realize that points can occur in many different ways - turnovers, special teams, turnovers that put the defense, etc. to blindly use points is pretty stupid. 

but again, I’m sure the Bears having the biggest defensive turn around in the nfl has nothing to do with getting a new MLB. 🙄😉

They are 26th in points allowed per drive. they are still really bad!

Biggest defensive turnaround?

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

3 total TDs for Bears opponents came on Defensive plays or returns.

It's all about points allowed.  Next you'll go on about how Carolina is a 6th ranked Defense (better than the Bills!!).

Teams don't bother running on the Bears, their pass D sucks (it was better last year).  

During the TNF game I noticed Edmunds is still getting the same credit for being tall that he did in Buffalo. Because you can work on that. He also got kudos for coming back from an injury. Not returning before expected, just that he recovered. I have to admit, Chicago certainly got $72 million worth of tall man who can heal eventually. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've seen a few other Bernard threads pop up, so might as well bump the OG.

Comparison time, just for fun:

Terrel Bernard in 2023:

134 tackles

6.5 sacks

3 interceptions

3 fumble recoveries

9 QB hits

10.5 run stuffs

Tremaine Edmunds in Buffalo:

121 tackles in his best season (113 avg per season)

6.5 sacks in 5 seasons!

5 interceptions in 5 seasons!

0 fumble recoveries in 5 seasons!

18 QB hits in 5 seasons!

10 run stuffs in his best season

Unreal jump in production from Tremaine to Terrel and at a bargain... AND getting a 3rd round comp pick back.

Well done, Brandon Beane. Well done, Terrel Bernard!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.