Terrel Bernard Appreciation Thread

Rigotz

6 hours ago, FireChans said:

While you are right that the sack number is a bit inflated by the Washington game, 3 sacks per game projected out to the entire year would be 51, which would’ve been fifth in the NFL last year and second in 2021.

And the reality is the team that ends with the most sacks ALWAYS has a monster game against a bad team somewhere. The Eagles finished as league leaders with 70 sacks last year and also had a 9 sack game vs the poor old Commanders and two 7 sack games vs the Giants and the Saints.... so that is 23 of their 70 sacks.... that is a third of their sacks in 3 games. 

It is never the case that the top sack teams just consistently get 3-5 sacks every Sunday like metronomes. They always load up against the bad teams. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, FireChans said:

While you are right that the sack number is a bit inflated by the Washington game, 3 sacks per game projected out to the entire year would be 51, which would’ve been fifth in the NFL last year and second in 2021.

Of course, but here's the point, say we got 51, and I suspect we'll do a little better, but say it's 51, that's 30 for the remaining dozen games, or an average of 2.5 here on out.  

... and if half or so of those are against Zach Wilson, Russell Wilson, and Jones for example ...

Or five sacks against Jax, they still put up 500 yards and 25 points.  

The point is, don't extrapolate season, AKA playoff success, by limited superficial stats.  

Some stats depicting trends and patterns without requiring the shattering of records are more relevant at the moment.  

44 minutes ago, Doc said:

I doubt we'll see 90+ sacks either because it will lead to injury (Jones will miss at least this game and missed 1/3 of the last) or benching (Howell).  And it would be interesting to see if sack numbers decline over the course of a season as players start to wear down.

Exactly!!

Injuries are quite often a reason as too why records are not shattered.  

From where I sit, it injuries are not isolated from our style of play on D, namely fast and furious.  

Edited by PBF81

43 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Behind that New England line..... if Mac plays an entire year..... 90 odd sacks is not impossible IMO. 

He's only been sacked 9 times though, Zappe once more for 10 total.  

They tank 7th in Sack%, 2 behind us at 5th, and they tank 8th in attempts.  

Nothing's impossible, but incredibly unlikely, no? 

The worst Sack% teams on our schedule are the Raiders (22nd), Jets (23rd), the Broncos (26th), the Skins (31st), and the Giants (32nd).  

Just now, PBF81 said:

He's only been sacked 9 times though, Zappe once more for 10 total.  

They tank 7th in Sack%, 2 behind us at 5th, and they tank 8th in attempts.  

Nothing's impossible, but incredibly unlikely, no? 

The worst Sack% teams on our schedule are the Raiders (22nd), Jets (23rd), the Broncos (26th), the Skins (31st), and the Giants (32nd).  

Oh you meant Daniel Jones. Got ya. I'm surprised Mac hasn't been sacked more though. That Pats line is the worst I can remember it. 

• Agree 1

On 10/11/2023 at 1:08 PM, HappyDays said:

The Jags offense has not been good though. The Chiefs held them to 9 points, the Texans held them to 17 points, the Falcons held them to 23 points. None of those defenses are super talented. And honestly they were moving the ball all day against us. If not for a few exceptional individual plays from our front 4 players, the game would have been out of hand by the 4th quarter.

Yeah but - they also didn’t have to play in london

sory it is a major advantage 

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh you meant Daniel Jones. Got ya. I'm surprised Mac hasn't been sacked more though. That Pats line is the worst I can remember it. 

Yeah, conceivable that Daniel Jones takes 90, but still, records don't fall that easily.  

In this case it would shatter it at 72.  

3 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, conceivable that Daniel Jones takes 90, but still, records don't fall that easily.  

In this case it would shatter it at 72.  

Was 72 a 16 game season? If so 90 over 17 is a jump but not as massive a jump. About .75 of a sack per game. Daniel Jones likely won't play this week though in any event and I think if they get Thomas back at LT the pace will slow. He is legitimately good. 

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Was 72 a 16 game season? If so 90 over 17 is a jump but not as massive a jump. About .75 of a sack per game. Daniel Jones likely won't play this week though in any event and I think if they get Thomas back at LT the pace will slow. He is legitimately good. 

Yeah, I looked it up, I think it was Carr, but without checking I forgot.

Great point on the extra game.  Add another 4-1/2, say 5, puts it at 77.  

Still a somewhat "shattering" sized leap.  

It'll be interesting to watch unfold.  LOL

14 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yeah, I looked it up, I think it was Carr, but without checking I forgot.

Great point on the extra game.  Add another 4-1/2, say 5, puts it at 77.  

Still a somewhat "shattering" sized leap.  

It'll be interesting to watch unfold.  LOL

Carr in Houston makes sense. 

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Carr in Houston makes sense. 

LOL, yeah, it does. 

Anyway, this isn't the link that I orginally found, but another.  

Carr was 76.  Surprisingly Cunningham was second with 72, and again 9th with 60 and twice more in that table of the "top" 27.  

Bledsoe in there twice isn't surprising.  LOL   The rest of the top-10 stands to reason.  

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-sacked-quarterback-in-an-nfl-season

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

LOL, yeah, it does. 

Anyway, this isn't the link that I orginally found, but another.  

Carr was 76.  Surprisingly Cunningham was second with 72, and again 9th with 60 and twice more in that table of the "top" 27.  

Bledsoe in there twice isn't surprising.  LOL   The rest of the top-10 stands to reason.  

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/most-sacked-quarterback-in-an-nfl-season

Rob Johnson should own the top spots

What surprises me most about Bernard’s game is that you hardly ever see him get driven backwards, even against bigger, more powerful backs. I also rarely see him on skates versus offensive linemen.
Remember the Bills vs Bucs OT game where Edmunds had Fournette dead to rights in the hole and Fournette shook off his weak tackle attempt? I fully believe Bernard makes that stop for no gain and the Bucs punt on the ensuing play, giving the Bills another chance to win. As we all know disaster struck right after giving up the first down.

Edmunds tackle attempt is at the 14:54 mark in case the video doesn’t automatically go there. The second play at the very beginning of this highlight video is what I saw many times: Edmunds on skates.

Bills vs Bucs OT game

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Doc said:

Looks like they aced addressing the MLB position.

I think the additions of these linebackers should make us reassess the general managers drafting

Elam was bad but they did find a starter at corner in the draft

People hated the pics of these linebackers, but the truth of the matter is, it’s hard to find quality wine backing in the NFL. It seems, and they aced it

James Cook ended up being a good pick

In the overall picture, it looks like the bills are doing a pretty good job in the draft following up with young talent that is getting a little bit older or young talent that is replacing higher contracts

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.