Humans to live on the Moon by 2030?

Royale with Cheese

We have 7 years.  If Rodger Goodell puts a team on the Moon, I will be livid.  Jet lag times a thousand.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/humans-could-live-on-moon-in-this-decade-nasa-official-howard-hu/

Howard Hu, the program manager for the Orion spacecraft onboard the Artemis 1 flight, told the BBC that the agency plans to have humans living on the moon sooner rather than later. 

"Certainly in this decade, we're going to have people living [on the moon]," he told the BBC. "The durations, you know, depending on how long we'll be on the surface. They'll be living, they'll have habitats and they'll have rovers on the ground. ... So, not only are we able to work in delivering people to the moon, getting people down to the surface of the moon, they still have to have infrastructure." 

But ultimately, he added, "it's more than living – it's really about science." 

"We're going to be sending people down to the surface and they're going to be living on that surface and doing science," he said. 

You won't have to exercise:

https://learningaboutelectronics.com/Articles/Weight-on-the-moon-conversion-calculator.php#answer

I only weigh 36 pounds!

3 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I don’t get the obsession with the space race. Feels like there is so many course of exploration and research and development options on our own planet. 

Resources?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Agree 1

13 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I don’t get the obsession with the space race. Feels like there is so many course of exploration and research and development options on our own planet. 

9 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Resources?

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Knowledge?

Both of the above. Plus, humans are natural explorers. It's in our DNA. We already live in places that would be uninhabitable without some kind of technology. (The word "technology" means "tools and techniques that enhance human capabilities," so it includes stone-age tech like fire-making, shelter-building, hand axes, spears, etc.) Space is just another frontier to explore.

Also, space exploration results in a lot of spin-off technology. A lot of common tech that we take for granted came out as a result of the Apollo program.

Finally, and directly applicable to Earth, some of the experiments being run on the ISS are related to finding new drugs that can only be produced in microgravity.

Edited by WhoTom
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 9/16/2023 at 10:45 AM, WhoTom said:

Both of the above. Plus, humans are natural explorers. It's in our DNA. We already live in places that would be uninhabitable without some kind of technology. (The word "technology" means "tools and techniques that enhance human capabilities," so it includes stone-age tech like fire-making, shelter-building, hand axes, spears, etc.) Space is just another frontier to explore.

Yes like most of SE before TVA made air conditioning available and insurance companies to rebuild after putting up buildings not suitable for weather.

On 9/15/2023 at 6:14 PM, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Potential resources on other worlds/moons are FAR more lucrative than the little we have left here. And one of those resources is simply living space. The population isn't getting any smaller. The Moon is going to be the launching point for space travel eventually.

On 9/15/2023 at 9:51 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

The phrase "only trust you as far as I can throw you" takes on a whole new meaning!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Potential resources on other worlds/moons are FAR more lucrative than the little we have left here. And one of those resources is simply living space. The population isn't getting any smaller. The Moon is going to be the launching point for space travel eventually.

The phrase "only trust you as far as I can throw you" takes on a whole new meaning!

Yup. I believe gold has only come from outer space. Just imagine if someone spots a giant hunk of gold floating around out there. Probably easier to find in other celestial bodies?

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

47 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yup. I believe gold has only come from outer space. Just imagine if someone spots a giant hunk of gold floating around out there. Probably easier to find in other celestial bodies?

Yep, a lot of that sort of thing out there.

Even on the Moon.... https://www.space.com/13247-moon-map-lunar-titanium.html

Try to invest in whatever company is able to efficiently mine the Moon first

15 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Yep, a lot of that sort of thing out there.

Even on the Moon.... https://www.space.com/13247-moon-map-lunar-titanium.html

Try to invest in whatever company is able to efficiently mine the Moon first

Yeah... BUT... Did you see where the debris from our Apollo missions (specifically Apollo 17 lunar module) are causing "Moonquakes?"  Seems that stuff on the moon causes these!

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/14/world/moonquakes-apollo-17-scn/index.html

Gee... Wouldn't that be horrible if we knock the moon off kilter!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yeah... BUT... Did you see where the debris from our Apollo missions (specifically Apollo 17 lunar module) are causing "Moonquakes?"  Seems that stuff on the moon causes these!

https://www.cnn.com/2023/09/14/world/moonquakes-apollo-17-scn/index.html

Gee... Wouldn't that be horrible if we knock the moon off kilter!

The moon is not a permanent fixture.  It is gradually moving away from Earth.  It would eventually break free but will get consumed by our sun first.  

Although I agree we should explore and expand its not because we’re “running out of things” on Earth.  It’s because Earth is temporary.

• Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

The moon is not a permanent fixture.  It is gradually moving away from Earth.  It would eventually break free but will get consumed by our sun first.  

Although I agree we should explore and expand its not because we’re “running out of things” on Earth.  It’s because Earth is temporary.

Time is a thing

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.