Unforced Error/OLine Pass Pro Grades - Week 1 - Jets - All 22 Review

Bocephuz

In the past i used to do lengthy in depth posts with gifs.. don't have time for that nowadays

I watched every passing snap to evaluate pass blocking performance as well as Josh Allen unforced errors committed (PASS BLOCKING ONLY EVALUATED.. did not evaluate running plays). 

UNFORCED ERROR  =  Allen has time to throw, wr is open and he misses throw.. or.. Allen makes poor unforced decision 

OLINEMAN BEATEN =  O lineman clearly loses his one on one matchup... or.. clearly misreads stunt/combo block

____

OLINEMAN BEATEN STATS

DAWKINS - 2

MCGOVERN - 2

MORSE - 3

TORRENCE - 1

BROWN - 4

-DAWKINS - Dion was generally solid but was physically pushed back into Josh several times via bull rush

- MCGOVERN - Was not beaten one on one at all by my eye.. however.. he and Dawkins misread several stunts

- MORSE - Rough day going against the beast that is 95 Q. Williams. He was beaten by bull rush once, and beaten by speed technique 2 other times. 

- TORRENCE -  He and Morse doubled up against 95 successfully several times. To my eye Torrence was only beaten once.. and that was when he was bullrushed back into Josh' lap in q1

- BROWN -  Not quite as bad as I thought it was watching live.. however.. once again 79 was the worst lineman on the field.  False start penalty to start OT was brutal                  ( Torrence was doing the hand motion snap thing and it looked a little off..Knox got caught FS on that too so a small portion of the False Starts blame may lie with Torrence). He was beaten both by speed to the outside and by bull rush. On the bright side.. he and Torrence generally did a nice job picking up stunts. 

OL SUMMARY :  Rough day against a monster D line. Dawk and McGovern need to develop better chemistry picking up stunts. There were certainly a few times where Josh bailed out of clean pockets however ( see next section). Generally pleased with new additions of McGovern and Torrance. 

QB UNFORCED ERRORS:  Josh had 7 unforced errors by my count.  Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially.  

SIGNIFICANT PLAYS - ( note: I do not have all of josh 7 unforced errors spelled out here for time's sake. but there were at least 7 )

- UE 1 - Q1 - Threw behind Diggs on slant

-  q1- Torrence and Brown bullrushed into Josh

- UE2 Q1 INTERCEPTION - Josh bails clean pocket to left and throws int into double coverage

- q1 - Torrence and Brown do good job picking up stunt

- q1- Brown bullrushed into Josh by 91

UE3 q1 - Josh underthrow to Cook on 9 route near end zone

- UE4 - Q2 - Josh slips stepping up into relatively clean pocket

- q2 INTERCEPTION - Josh somewhat to blame.. however... Morse is beaten by 95 and Josh is hit as he delivers pass. Pass falls slightly short and picked off. 

-q3- McGovern late picking up stunt... Josh hit as he steps up into pocket by stunting DE

UE 5 - INTERCEPTION -  Clean pocket.. bad read/throw by Josh

-UE 6 Q4 0- Josh fumbles shotgun snap

- OT - Brown false start

SUMMARY  -  The guards played well .. however both tackles and the center struggled. This Jets D is physical.. and their stunt game is strong. Make no mistake..the line was shaky and Josh was certainly under duress. That being said.. at the beginning of the game Josh was very on script, getting the ball out in the quick game to avoid pressure which basically negated pass pro issues. As the pressures starting mounting up.. Josh became more and more rattled..and when he had to take deeper drops/ longer reads things started to fall apart. 7 unforced QB errors are too much for most teams to overcome. Hopefully Dorsey puts Josh under center a little more to develop footwork and timing of routes better. The few times he was under center for passing both the pocket and Josh's timing looked much smoother. 

Edited by Bocephuz
  • Like (+1) 11
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 16

• Bocephuz changed the title to Unforced Error/OLine Pass Pro Grades - Week 1 - Jets - All 22 Review
1 hour ago, Bocephuz said:

good points on under center

Jets DEs were way out wide which gave them a few extra steps and momentum crashing into the OTs which helped in the bull rush. 

Well that and Brown's inability to get low enough as well as deliver a punch and recover.

During the broadcast they pointed out how Gabe Davis' routes were not crisp enough to get the safety moving in the wrong direction, and the safety got good jumps as a result. Gabe just doesn't seem to be body position aware of the defense, between that and not high pointing the ball etc., trying to get calls or snatching the ball through the defender instead of waiting on the ball to come to him.

I'll throw this in here too; if Josh is playing crazy, run the ball for a series. When Josh comes off, let him know that continues until he stops playing crazy.

Edited by 4BillsintheBurgh

1 hour ago, Dan in Owego said:

I would also like to see him under center more as well, if for nothing else that it helps Brown because he struggles mightily with wide 9 looks. Also forces him to be more disciplined and structured 

You may be right in the assessment, but I don't see Josh going under center very much.  just my opinion

1 hour ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially. 

To what extent would you describe materially as a % or odds?  Just curious

i started doing this with EJ Manuel… i would say anecdotally that if more than 5 unforced errors the team loses about 70% of the time 

35 minutes ago, VirginiaMike said:

You may be right in the assessment, but I don't see Josh going under center very much.  just my opinion

unfortunately you are likely correct.. its a shame tho

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Well that and Brown's inability to get low enough as well as deliver a punch and recover.

During the broadcast they pointed out how Gabe Davis' routes were not crisp enough to get the safety moving in the wrong direction, and the safety got good jumps as a result. Gabe just doesn't seem to be body position aware of the defense, between that and not high pointing the ball etc., trying to get calls or snatching the ball through the defender instead of waiting on the ball to come to him.

I'll throw this in here too; if Josh is playing crazy, run the ball for a series. When Josh comes off, let him know that continues until he stops playing crazy.

Gabe had nothing to do with any of Josh’s picks. Deflection at itself best. I was surprised Aikman tried to find an excuse for Josh. Josh should never have thrown that pass. 

2 hours ago, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

Then you don’t throw it his way.  Diggs was running uncovered underneath.

Davis wasn’t running a stop route where he can come to the ball.  He was running a corner route with his momentum going towards the sidelines.  It was a pass that should have never been thrown.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Based on my history of doing this kind of analysis when a qb has 5 or more unforced errors the chances of his team winning decrease materially. 

To what extent would you describe materially as a % or odds?  Just curious

anecdotally about 70% 

Good evaluation you made me take a second look at the second int and I really didn’t notice but as Josh is throwing the ball he really did have his arm slightly hit by Williams as Morse just got blown up and it probably altered the throw a little also

Sherfield on the play was basically supposed to decoy the safety away the safety said he ain’t throwing to him and concentrated solely on Diggs. 
Josh had his bad plays but maybe not as bad as I first thought. 

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Good evaluation you made me take a second look at the second int and I really didn’t notice but as Josh is throwing the ball he really did have his arm slightly hit by Williams as Morse just got blown up and it probably altered the throw a little also

Sherfield on the play was basically supposed to decoy the safety away the safety said he ain’t throwing to him and concentrated solely on Diggs. 
Josh had his bad plays but maybe not as bad as I first thought. 

Not that I want him to go away from SD but there were multiple time that SD was double leaving a better option. 

On 9/13/2023 at 3:28 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

Yup....I believe this will be Brown and Morse's last year in Buffalo.  Maybe we squeeze 1 more year out of Dion?  Other than WR2, the draft priorities have to include RT & C very early.  

Morse has been a good C but it does at times seems his play slips more against superior DTs.  His cost v savings next season pretty much

makes me believe he's gone.  Brown may be saved with his rookie contract as a backup.

On 9/13/2023 at 4:07 PM, 4BillsintheBurgh said:

So Gabe has lousy hands, is a poor route runner, and isn't particularly fast. Nice to have him as the WR2. Really helping the team. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.