What will happen with Josh over the next month?

Simon

I have no idea what to expect for the rest of the season. Monday night was the worst I've seen him since his 2019 stinker against the Patriots. It wasn't just the dumb turnovers, it was that he reverted to a rookie level of bailing the pocket and refusing to throw the ball to his open reads. I'd like to say the Jets just have his number but they didn't do anything crazy, just played sound cover 2 shell defense and watched Josh give away the game. I know he is capable of turning it back around but I am worried about his mental state right now. It's a hard thing to fix in the middle of a season.

The good news is you couldn't ask for a better bounce back opponent than the Raiders. All week long McDermott and Dorsey need to drill it into him that we don't need 400 yards and 4 passing TDs to win this one. Stay patient, a punt is a win, trust your guys up front and follow the structure of the offense. So literally just get back to basics with him. And hope this time it sinks in and sticks for a long long time.

I foresee a repeat of last year's Cleveland game. That came off the heels of two consecutive losses to the Jets and Vikings where Josh's turnovers lost us those games. If anything he was too tentative against Cleveland to the point that McDermott had to calm Diggs down on the sideline. But ultimately it worked - Josh never hit the highs he did early in the season but he raised his floor quite a bit.

Ideally Josh gets into a rhythm against the Raiders, develops trust in his OL, and we all look back and laugh at the abysmal start to an incredible season. Or the worst case scenario is Josh never finds his mojo this year, we fire Dorsey, and bring in a drill seargent OC to get his career back on track. I have no clue where on that spectrum Josh's season will go. Like one of his performances on any given Sunday it's going to be a wild ride.

• Like (+1) 2

First games are always really weird and defenses are far ahead. I’m not tripping. The Jets is tailor-made to beat Allen, he just needs to reinvent his game when he plays against them, and stop taking so many dumb chances. The next 2 games should be wins and hopefully do a lot to get Allen’s confidence back. This board is imploding and I’ll just sit back and enjoy it in the mean time. 

1 hour ago, BringBackFergy said:

He’s a youngster who has won wayyyy more games for us than he has lost. Time to tell Stef Diggs to chill out. Can’t demand the ball every time to the detriment of the final score. Josh is trying to feed him to a fault. Spread the ball around. 5yds - 15 yds. Josh can move the sticks like the best of them. 

Diggs had 10 catches on 13 targets for 102 yards and a TD.  He's far from the problem.  

Blaming him for Allen's awful decisions is silly.  Allen also threw deep for Harty for an unnecessary pick and targeted Davis with two better open options underneath for his final masterpiece.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Too many cooks in the kitchen and by trying to appease them all, he's getting away from his game.  Now his head is all messed up and he's not processing correctly in my opinion.  Say what you will about Dabol, but i do believe he was the one constant in Josh's head.  Now it seems he has too many cooks in the kitchen.  We know Diggs stated just get in the air and I'll make the play - well what did Josh do, forced prayers to Diggs that had no reason to be thrown.  And then you got both McDermott and Diggs pointing at their head to Josh on national Tv to use his head and be smart.   

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/michael-irvin-blasts-bills-stefon-diggs-sean-mcdermott-for-how-they-treat-josh-allen/ar-AA1gCG18

So I agree with Simon that he needs to get out of his own head, but he needs to cut out all the outside cooks - to include trying to appease Diggs and let it come naturally.  

Wow, respect for Irvin... Never would have anticipated that. 

Maybe he's right, at least about Diggs doing that. There's a time and a place to tell your QB he's being dumb. Then again, losing your season opener maybe waiting to get to the dressing room is too late. But I respect Irvin for what he said.

8 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

He’s a youngster who has won wayyyy more games for us than he has lost. Time to tell Stef Diggs to chill out. Can’t demand the ball every time to the detriment of the final score. Josh is trying to feed him to a fault. Spread the ball around. 5yds - 15 yds. Josh can move the sticks like the best of them. 

I created a Josh Allen excuse thread already. Blaming Diggs counts as an excuse. A ridiculous excuse. Allen is not a “youngster “ anymore. If he is, he needs to mature already. He took the blame and rightfully so. He doesn’t need his jockstrap sniffing crew to excuse him. 

I do feel that he's totally embarrassed.  This MNF is the highest rated one ever I believe.

He doesn't appear to be a guy to turtle up, he probably is to work his ass off this week.

Dorsey needs to take a gigantic step back in the playbook and just make easy reads for Allen....like he's a rookie again.

Slowly bring him back.  

But the biggest thing is he needs to relax his mind.  You can step up your watching film, throwing, studying etc....all you want but if you're holding onto the negative and unsure mindset, nothing will change.

I expect a better game this week...I'm going to start with that.

I think he will bounce back with a couple easier games against the Raiders and Commies. 

I think he’s locked in this mode of “has to put everything on the line to win.” This was awesome when he was just breaking into the league, but at this point he doesn’t have to do that. No more diving over defenders 5 yards from the first down. It was endearing - I obviously love the guy - but it’s just not necessary now. 

Just not sure at this point.  Mental hurdles are a lot harder to get past than physical ones.   Once he gets happy feet in a game he doesn't seem to be able to settle back down and be a pocket QB.  If i'm the opposing DC, i make him uncomfortable early, then drop 7 the rest of the game. Josh cant/wont take the short stuff, he gave up on that after the 1st drive on Monday. Lucky for us the Jets might be the hardest D they face this year, but lots of teams have ballhawk CBs and Safeties and JA can't seem to find them on the field

9 hours ago, Simon said:

Twofold problem right now 1) He hasn't started trusting his OLine yet after last year's debacle and it's affecting is ability to process and see the field ...

Agree with your overall take.

That is key however.  It stands to reason that his "panic" let's just call it, stems from the patterned behavior of having to often scramble for to the ineffectiveness of the OL for five seasons.  

Also, few teams are going to bring it like the Jets did.  He'll improve, the question is to what extent.  

This week will be interesting, the O will be under less pressure, the D more.  

6 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

The QB play was so bad monday night that I think you’re going to see an ultra-conservative offense until we see no/fewer turnovers from Allen.  He gets more freedom when he shows he can protect the football.  

Yup. Ironically, using the 12 formation, run run pass, is going to be the way to bring him back. He's GOT TO learn how to chip away or he becomes 1 dimensional.

• Agree 1

Baby steps..take a clean handoff

Baby steps.. complete a pass

I truly believe he will have a bounce back week. I don’t know if it’s true that he doesn’t pay attention to the outside noise because this week he has been crushed. When (if haha) he looks over the tape he will be crushed. That was a really good D he played but he was a wreckless. If we see that again this week this season we will be in trouble. 

My hope is we see a composed Josh this week. There was a game in Foxborough a few years back One of the best performances I remember. He was almost like in a zen state. Was nailing every pass. He needs to find that zen again and build from it. He needs to look and play the part. 

He is going to throw int, that is who he is. I can accept that. I don’t accept these brain dead decisions interceptions however. The fumbles need to stop. 

I have also gotten tired of the same old lines after these performances. This is rock bottom and hopefully the wake up call. Stop preaching and go out and show us.

IMG_7652.jpeg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.