What will happen with Josh over the next month?

Simon

3 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

The problem is the coaches for three seasons are trying to ingrain in him not to run the football, so he has conflicting voices in his head and that stops him from committing. They need to stop trying to coach Josh out of Josh. That heave to double covered diggs would have been a first down a season or two ago and the Jets D would have been demoralized. 

I agree.  The bottom line, allow Josh to be Josh.  He's not wired to sit there in the pocket and break down 50 things in his head within 2.5 seconds.  He's instinctive.

As I say about my kids and some of their bad habits.  There are natural consequences to your actions.  I can tell them what not to do until I'm blue in the face, but they will ultimately figure it out on their own.  If it's because something bad happens from their actions, they will figure it out real soon.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I agree.  The bottom line, allow Josh to be Josh.  He's not wired to sit there in the pocket and break down 50 things in his head within 2.5 seconds.  He's instinctive.

As I say about my kids and some of their bad habits.  There are natural consequences to your actions.  I can tell them what not to do until I'm blue in the face, but they will ultimately figure it out on their own.  If it's because something bad happens from their actions, they will figure it out real soon.

Ya. Like I know they are trying to coach him up. I have no problem with them telling him to be smart and get oob instead of that 1 extra yard but I think they are saying more than that to him.  It's like they want him to be a Brady but thats not what he is elite at. He isn't elite at precision.  He isn't an elite processor of the field.  We also don't have the players that get balls in stride and take off for another 8 yards.  We have players and an offensive design that those guys find a spot, turn towards the QB and stop or they aren't getting separation so they are tackled right away.  Sure, we might get the occasional few yards and even Diggs might get the occasional 8 extra yards, but more often than not the play ends where the ball is caught. Prime Beasley was that guy.

Like probably those 13 points would have won us the Jets game but people want to see Josh check it down every time the pass goes wrong.  That isn't going to win games against good offenses. That is going to stress defenses just as much because we are more likely to go 8 plays punt than to march down the field 3-5 yards a play.

People think this 2 deep shell is something new happening to Josh and Mahomes.  It isn't. They played two deep shell on Josh for years now.  He has beaten it with his arm, skill position talent, and his legs. Prime Brown was better than Davis.  Prime Beasley was better than the rest of the guys. This is why Josh has regressed.  It isn't just some new defensive looks.  It's the loss of speedy, smart talent and the coaching of Josh out of Josh.

I'm not absolving Josh of this game.  Clearly he had mental breakdowns and got frustrated as time went on. He also clearly doesn't trust this oline yet.  I think this will get better though.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

I think it is important to remember that Allen played really well in the first half. His meltdown didn't come until the second half, where he had 3 turnovers.

Allen was 17 of 21 in the first half. 81% passing!

He was being himself while still playing well. 

Something happened in the second half though. He went from 17 of 21 in the first half with a TD and INT,  to 12 of 20 in the second half (0 TD, 3 turnovers).

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I think it is important to remember that Allen played really well in the first half. His meltdown didn't come until the second half, where he had 3 turnovers.

Allen was 17 of 21 in the first half. 81% passing!

He was being himself while still playing well. 

Something happened in the second half though. He went from 17 of 21 in the first half with a TD and INT,  to 12 of 20 in the second half (0 TD, 3 turnovers).

Was it though? Completion% maybe.  Results I'd say no.  Punt, Int, FG were the first 3 drives. Even on the TD drive they were behind the sticks and Josh needed to make big plays. The last drive again a FG because again we were behind the sticks.  

1 hour ago, Scott7975 said:

Was it though? Completion% maybe.  Results I'd say no.  Punt, Int, FG were the first 3 drives. 

I disagree.

The offense scored 13 points in the first half. That's a pace of 26 points for the whole game. Against a top 5 defense. That is darn good.

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

he just needs to be 2020 him- he was great that season 

He was great in 2021 too

Right now, he's completely overthinking things out there. On the first interception play, before this year he would have run for the first down 100/100 times. Now because they want him to run less, he throws up a prayer that gets picked off. He'll eventually learn to protect himself better naturally. Whatever the coaches are doing to try and change him is backfiring.

3 minutes ago, jlgarsh said:

He was great in 2021 too

Right now, he's completely overthinking things out there. On the first interception play, before this year he would have run for the first down 100/100 times. Now because they want him to run less, he throws up a prayer that gets picked off. He'll eventually learn to protect himself better naturally. Whatever the coaches are doing to try and change him is backfiring.

I didn’t see a lot of over thinking.  I remember grumbling what the hell were you thinking at the tv… 

20 hours ago, BobBelcher said:

its just weird how lately when things start to unravel with Allen, the unraveling begins at a time when he is playing well and we actually have control of the game, but then he will keep unraveling until we have inexplicably lost our lead altogether and only THEN end does he seem to snap out of it, 

It's a good point, but not just lately.    I think this pattern has recurred thoughout his career.   Allen is  0 - 5 in OT and several of those games were similar.  

In the Houston playoff game the Bills were up by 16 and the Vikings game last year the Bills were up by 17.   In both games and Monday night Josh had a meltdown where he made spastic boneheaded plays, turned the ball over and the team gave up huge leads and got behind in the final minutes.  Only for Allen to lead them down the field to tie the game in closing seconds and go to OT.      All 3 games,  the Bills had an OT posession did nothing, punted away and opposition won the game on next possesion. 

During the 4th QTR and OT on Monday night, I kept  thinking we have seen this movie before.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/13/2023 at 8:31 AM, warrior9 said:

Yeah I like Dan O too. How good you were doesnt mean you cant coach / know what you're doing.. there are plenty of coaches that weren't successful in the NFL or shoot, even made it in the NFL (our coach). 

But to be very honest, now that people have calmed down a litttttttttle, the loss was the best thing for the Bills. Josh needs to realize he isnt going to get wins or things handed to him because he's Josh Allen. I think over the next few weeks, Josh will propel himself into the MVP conversation. He needed a wake up call.

Revisiting this thread so people can see how much they overreact vs. how much we believed in JA. 

On 9/13/2023 at 5:40 PM, frostbitmic said:

He'll win a game or two

He'll make a couple of commercials

He'll make at least 20 appearances on TV and radio sports shows

He'll throw a bunch of TD's and INT'S

He'll eat some bad fish & chips in London

Like this guy.... melts down after a loss. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.