83 yard run. Sean McDermott made an interesting comment.

Buffalo_Stampede

Just had to get this off my chest because I’m just now listening to some postgame comments.

McDermott said they were misaligned on the big 83 yard run.

McDermott is never shy about using timeouts, we all know this. It’s kind of a running joke around here. But when he sees his defense outmatched due to alignment he doesn’t call timeout?

This is the type of coaching that loses games. 😡

IMG_3236.jpeg

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Just had to get this off my chest because I’m just now listening to some postgame comments.

McDermott is never shy about using timeouts, we all know this. It’s kind of a running joke around here. But when he sees his defense outmatched due to alignment he doesn’t call timeout?

You want him to call a defensive timeout every time he sees something he doesn't like?

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Simon said:

You want him to call a defensive timeout every time he sees something he doesn't like?

When the defense is in the wrong alignment, yes. Shouldn’t happen often. Look at it, it’s so bad. Easiest run of Breece Halls career.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Thank you (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’d guess that he didn’t realize it until it was too late. Beyond that I have no idea how much is on the players  versus him. I’d think more on the players unless they were coached to line up incorrectly (which is not likely). 

My guess is that this one falls on Bernard, who possibly didn't recognize the overload and didn't get them to slide up front.

And who also buried himself inside where Rousseau was being buried by a double and left Tre White isolated outside with contain responsibility.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

When the defense is in the wrong alignment, yes. Shouldn’t happen often. Look at it, it’s so bad. Easiest run of Breece Halls career.

I saw it and am aware of what happened. 

I also know that if he called a timeout every time something like that happened, he'd be out of them in about a quarter.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Simon said:

I also know that if he called a timeout every time something like that happened, he'd be out of them in about a quarter.

Why don’t we break 83 yard runs against other teams?  Do they get out of alignment too?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

Why don’t we break 83 yard runs against other teams?  Do they get out of alignment too?

Of course they do occasionally; if you're runplay is called to the specific gap that is poorly covered and oth your LB and S misplay it also, then we could end up wiht an 83 yrd run.

1 minute ago, Simon said:

Of course they do occasionally; if you're runplay is called to the specific gap that is poorly covered and oth your LB and S misplay it also, then we could end up wiht an 83 yrd run.

real question. Is this a Zack Wilson audible. Or is this a play call the jets had because this out of alignment was something they had seen from the Bills before?

Just now, Chaos said:

real question. Is this a Zack Wilson audible. Or is this a play call the jets had because this out of alignment was something they had seen from the Bills before?

Don't recall any audibling out of Wilson.

I'd guess it was something the Jets run frequently, thought it gave them an advantage against an undersized Bills Front 7 and happened to call it up at the exact right time.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

My guess that this one falls on Bernard, who possibly didn't recognize the overload and didn't get them to slide up front.

Who also buried himself inside where Rousseau was being buried by a double and left Tre White isolated outside with contain responsibility.

This. 

These are the growing pains of a second year middle linebacker making his first NFL start after missing all of preseason.

This may seem like pouring salt into already gaping wounds, but...I have a feeling that if Aaron Rodgers had been healthy all game, the Bills defense might have had a loooong night.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Logic said:

This. 

These are the growing pains of a second year middle linebacker making his first NFL start after missing all of preseason.

This may seem like pouring salt into already gaping wounds, but...I have a feeling that if Aaron Rodgers had been healthy all game, the Bills defense might have had a loooong night.

Maybe. Or maybe Hackett doesnt downshift into the running game and keeps Rodgers passing and we keep getting to him and force another turn over or two on our own.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Simon said:

My guess that this one falls on Bernard, who possibly didn't recognize the overload and didn't get them to slide up front.

Who also buried himself inside where Rousseau was being buried by a double and left Tre White isolated outside with contain responsibility.

That's the way I see it too.  Milano was actually the MLB on that play in a clinically traditional 4-3 alignment.  

I'd question why on 1st-and-10 they were so concerned about a run UTM.  

The other puzzling thing is that the DL converges on the middle, again, on 1st-and-10, not 3rd-and-1 or 2.  

Bernard, who's lined up in the SLB spot, makes a beeline for the Center of the OL.  Why?  That's beyond well-covered.  

Where there's no presence, besides as you mentioned, namely White, a CB, is on the edge, where Hall makes his break between White, who whiffs entirely, and that edge, and gone.  And if it was White that was supposed to set that edge, well, then he simply whiffed.  

McD's comment may be a way of deflecting criticism of his choice for starting LB this season, whether it be SLB or MLB regardless.  

• Disagree 1

21 minutes ago, Simon said:

And to call a timeout on a play that starts at the damn near goal line of the opponent where in any other world a player doesn't break a 9999 yard run? 

He was right not to call it.

And this is why I wanted Klein to start the season to mix in reps. 

Edited by boyst
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Big Blitz said:

LBs should have seen that.  

Anyone. Poyer? Micah? Someone. Coaches.

Just now, boyst said:

And to call a timeout on a play that starts at the damn near goal line of the opponent where in any other world a player doesn't break a 9999 yard run? 

He was right not to call it.

That’s the exact time you call timeout. This exact moment. 

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Anyone. Poyer? Micah? Someone. Coaches.

That’s the exact time you call timeout. This exact moment. 

When there is next to no chance of that breakout play happening and Hall hadn't yet really started to get hot? Nah, unfortunately, I don't think so. 

28 minutes ago, TD716 said:

He blitzed the whole second level of the defense on that play. I agree we should be more aggressive compared to the last few years but there is no way Zach Wilson is driving 95 yards for a score

He was looking for a defensive score

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

IMG_3236.jpeg

BTW, other than for generalities, we know that McD isn't going to say anything specifically to implicate himself in any of the team's most significant faults.  

34 minutes ago, Simon said:

My guess is that this one falls on Bernard, who possibly didn't recognize the overload and didn't get them to slide up front.

And who also buried himself inside where Rousseau was being buried by a double and left Tre White isolated outside with contain responsibility.

The LBs were misaligned. They should all have shifted over to the right. 

meh,  was a blitz,  and they got caught.  happens all the time.   thats the chance you take with sending extra guys,  thats the difference in Frasier and McD.    Frasier was more careful.   both styles of D have their positives and negatives.   everybody wanted more pressure,  well,  sometimes long plays happen from it.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.