Rodgers out for the year (UPDATE: Rodgers wants to return for playoffs)

chongli

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

So if Rodgers' career is over, what's the cap hit to the Jets? I heard their trade parameters mean they only end up giving GB a 2nd Rd pick because Rodgers didn't play enough snaps. But what about that massive guaranteed contract? Do they owe him that full amount plus the cap hit that comes with that for the next several years? If so, yikes. They might as well sell the team or try and make the move to the Big 10

I've been looking into it. First, nothing happens this year because the Jets are sprinting to file the IR form.

But from what I've read retirement is effectively the same as cutting a player in terms of cap. And after the Jets rolled over almost all salary from 2023 and 24 as prorated bonuses, those all would come due the year Rodgers retires or gets cut.

Which, at my current count, would be $63-66 million in dead cap 

EDIT: I think they can weasel out of that hard number if they beg Rodgers to ride the pine in 2024, but their only leverage is another $30 million they are going to pay in 2025 which is going to force the issue. Currently in 2025 they have to choose to pay $51 million for 41 year old QB with injury history or cut him for $49 million in dead cap. Or, you know, give him more money up front and add on to $35 million they have in void years.

The Jets really boxed themselves in on this one

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Shocked 1

I'll fully admit I've been shielding myself from Bills misery this morning by reading Jets boards.

They can't even celebrate the win. Pyrrhic victory for sure.

They won the battle, but lost the war (season).

All those months of hype flushed in an instant. Suck it, Hard Knocks.

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

Packers now owe the Jets a second round pick, because Rodgers won't play 65% of the snaps this season.  

I believe it's that the Jets now owe the Pack a 2nd instead of a 1st.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Oh wow, Packers day just gets better and better

I mean I am sure they wanted the 1st, but if Rodgers had stayed healthy the Jets probably make the playoffs and pick in the 20s, and now opposed to now likely mid high 40s

So they don't love it, but my Packers fan coworker is being joyously vindictive today

From the NYT official story:

There was hope that could change this season after Rodgers was acquired in an April trade in exchange for draft picks. His long career has put him in the top 10 of many passing categories, he has won four Most Valuable Player Awards, and in the 2010 season he took the Packers to their only Super Bowl victory of this century.

The fit seemed good: Rodgers threw himself into the life of the city, turning up at the Tony Awards, Knicks and Rangers games, the U.S. Open, and a Taylor Swift concert at MetLife.

That's all well and good, going to the Tony Awards, Taylor Swift, Knicks and Rangers games.

Did he do all the additional stretching/conditioning a 39 year old should be doing? Calf strain to torn Achilles ...

https://wisportsheroics.com/aaron-rodgers-new-york-jets-training-methods/

He blamed the Jets training regimen for the calf strain, saying they had him doing things he hadn't done for 19 years. So maybe the Jets broke him, or maybe he should've started integrating additional conditioning into his off-season as he got old?  Was there time for that with all the dark house sitting, celeb dating, psychedelic mind resetting?

Edited by The Frankish Reich
  • Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

From the NYT official story:

There was hope that could change this season after Rodgers was acquired in an April trade in exchange for draft picks. His long career has put him in the top 10 of many passing categories, he has won four Most Valuable Player Awards, and in the 2010 season he took the Packers to their only Super Bowl victory of this century.

The fit seemed good: Rodgers threw himself into the life of the city, turning up at the Tony Awards, Knicks and Rangers games, the U.S. Open, and a Taylor Swift concert at MetLife.

That's all well and good, going to the Tony Awards, Taylor Swift, Knicks and Rangers games.

Did he do all the additional stretching/conditioning a 39 year old should be doing? Calf strain to torn Achilles ...

Rodgers Is a consummate professional, it's a freak injury for an older player. Have a feeling the turf did him no favors even though they Apparently upgraded it this season.  Awful upgraded to bad, is still bad. 

2 hours ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

The Jets really boxed themselves in on this one

Such a shame. 😁

I actually don't hate the Jets. They're not the Pats. They're kind of ... us? I mean, as long as it isn't at the Bills expense I'd like to see their fans share in a little success. For whatever (AFL/AFC I guess) reason I always wanted them to be New York's #1 team.

Whatever. Good to have them out of the way until they bring in their next old QB. They are now officially in Colts 2018-21 territory.

2 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Rodgers Is a consummate professional, it's a freak injury for an older player. Have a feeling the turf did him no favors even though they Apparently upgraded it this season.  Awful upgraded to bad, is still bad. 

I see zero reason to blame the turf. His leg slid on the wet turf just as it would've on wet grass/mud. 

15 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

I wanted the Bills to beat the Jets at full strength with Rodgers in there, but they would have blown us out if Allen’s play remained the same. 

hard to say...D was getting great penetration, but Zach is pretty elusive.   Rogers might have been better at getting the ball out but not at escaping 

the pass rush.

Remember when Marino tore his. He was dropping back to pass with no one within at least 5 yards. Wasn't a turf issue as it was in Miami. And age- he's 40 the body is not as pliable or flexible.

Had  a prof in his  40s  that tore his in a pickup b-ball game. He was on crutches for 9 months and limped a year  after his tear.

Edited by Wacka

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.