The Josh Allen excuse thread…

Dopey

Just now, ChronicAndKnuckles said:

That drive to tie the game was pretty clutch, but extremely deflating loss. People gotta understand who Josh Allen is. He’s Brett Favre that can truck people. He will never be Tom Brady. 

He seemed to wake up in that drive, but then made a mess of the one in OT, though the 2 and 15 call was baffling, to put it politely.

Just now, Mango said:

Josh doesn’t need the be run out of town. 

He isn’t terrible. 

He’s great. 

He also deserves 90% of the criticism in this thread for this game. 

People can vent without wanting to trade their QB. 

Today is the first day since 2019 where I am having doubts that Josh will be our starting QB in 3 years, personally.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mango said:

Josh doesn’t need the be run out of town. 

He isn’t terrible. 

He’s great. 

He also deserves 90% of the criticism in this thread for this game. 

People can vent without wanting to trade their QB. 

I think most of us just want to see Allen doing something to get better. Consult with Brady, work on short game passing, be a surgeon and not a hero. Hero ball rarely wins you a Super Bowl, its precision and game managing by not turning the ball over. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, TurfToeJam said:

Bills current coaches are coaching Allen as if he is a traditional pocket passer.  Which he is not.  Dabol utilized Allen's strengths which includes Allen's legs to force defenses to spy and respect the threat of designed Allen run plays.  

That 3rd INT was the worst INT since Peterman.  That’s not coaching. 

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

Today is the first day since 2019 where I am having doubts that Josh will be our starting QB in 3 years, personally.

This was Josh’s first “never been so locked in” and “I’m all ball game”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Araiza Curse said:

Hero ball rarely wins you a Super Bowl, its precision and game managing by not turning the ball over. 

Josh is reminding me of Brett Favre again. Which isn’t who we want him to be, but who does have a Super Bowl ring …

There was a span of games where the short precision passing game was clicking in both 2021 and 2022. What happened?

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Airseven said:

Followed by the two fumbles which shows he’s shot mentally.

I don’t think he’s shot. But he’s erratic and plus far too loose at times. 

Even his “short game” in the second half felt like nothing but throws behind the line of scrimmage. 

6 minutes ago, TurfToeJam said:

Bills current coaches are coaching Allen as if he is a traditional pocket passer.  Which he is not.  Dabol utilized Allen's strengths which includes Allen's legs to force defenses to spy and respect the threat of designed Allen run plays.  

I definitely think you're onto something here.  Daboll used him as a true dual threat in the passing game. And anytime he went a little sideways, Dabs would call a designed run for him to get back into the game mentally.  Dorsey just asks him to drop back and be a traditional pocket passer.

Just now, FireChans said:

I’m in two minds about this. Quarterbacks can have awful performances in the regular season but win the Super Bowl, so this could be taken as a potential outlier. I recall Brady absolutely stinking the place out against the Saints the year the Bucs won it.

Except… except… nothing new happened tonight. We had seen it all before. Every weakness Josh has was exposed and most of them are mental. The signs were there last year yet, despite the post and pre season, where he even said he knows what he has to do, he did not do it when he takes to the field.

If he starts against the Raiders in the same fashion I’d be tempted to pull him for a series and put Kyle Allen out there. A warning shot to get himself in order or else. He has the physical attributes to be the best quarterback in the league but the mental side lets him down.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

51 minutes ago, Peace Frog said:

If Josh has time to bang an actress and make TV commercials, he's got time to watch more game film. This loss is 90% on him.

He doesn’t want to overindulged in watching films. He prefers to rely on his in game instincts. Unfortunately for fans his instincts are to jump over linebackers for no apparent reasons and passing up easy throws to thread the needle into the opposing db’s hands. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, 90sBills said:

He doesn’t want to overindulged in watching films. He prefers to rely on his in game instincts. Unfortunately for fans his instincts are to jump over linebackers for no apparent reasons and passing up easy throws to thread the needle into the opposing db’s hands. 

Apparently as of today it’s also diving three yards short of the first down.

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BadboyBills said:

Josh did help get the game tied. He's remarkable in 4th quarter come backs. It's been the D usually letting us down in the end, tonight's was ST's

He needs to get TDs . Bucs game. At Mia game last year. There’s a lot.

he has final drive w 1 :48. Needed a td. We got a 50 yard FG. 

• Like (+1) 1

I know I started this thread, but I’m not down on Josh. Or the team. I believe he’ll bounce back from this. The reason for the thread was because there are a ton of opinions on why we haven’t been to or won a sb with this current edition of the Bills and Josh is hardly mentioned. I hate that it took a game like this, but he’s part of the conversation now. But I’m not down on Josh. I am encouraged that this team still had a chance to win this game at the end. I was encouraged that Dorsey and Allen got us in field goal range for Bass to take it to OT. Hopefully that’s a start for Allen and the offense. Kudos to the defense for holding down the fort. Kudos to Bass. 

What I fear more than anything is the Bills pulling the chord on the guy and opening him up for trade and some real offensive guru gets a hold of him and wins a Super Bowl and we are left back at square one with a new regime.

Every offensive coach in the league right now is thinking just let me work with this guy. 

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

What I fear more than anything is the Bills pulling the chord on the guy and opening him up for trade and some real offensive guru gets a hold of him and wins a Super Bowl and we are left back at square one with a new regime.

Every offensive coach in the league right now is thinking just let me work with this guy. 

They won't. Josh will retire a Bill, for better or for worse.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Providing his body can deliver what his brain should be telling him. He says he knows he has to protect the football. He says he needs to be more sensible with the running game. Pretty sure he said he needs to take what’s given. Yet when he starts doing this (see the first half), he bizarrely slips back to old traits. Can he be taught?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

If that's true, then why the hell can't we get one of them in here, while Josh is still young-ish.

What is supposed to be special about Dorsey?

Can’t sustain offense when a majority of the successful passing plays happen outside the framework of the play design. A lot of this falls on Dorsey, but an equal amount falls on Allen.

This has been a problem for years, even when Daboll was here (although to a lesser extent). Allen is my favorite professional alrhlete of all time, but I’m afriad he may not have the elite processing needed to be anything more then one of the best backyard football QB’s ever. 

• Agree 1

He was definitely trash, but even that included 70 percent completions. His coaches are trash, scheme doesn't fit the personnel on offense. And we invest money and resources into the D every year, only to never be able to stop the run. Excuses? Maybe, but the organization is a dumpster fire. Look no further than Kincaid and Elam. Problems run WAY deeper than josh

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

Providing his body can deliver what his brain should be telling him. He says he knows he has to protect the football. He says he needs to be more sensible with the running game. Pretty sure he said he needs to take what’s given. Yet when he starts doing this (see the first half), he bizarrely slips back to old traits. Can he be taught?

This is a 27 year old man in his 6th year at QB in the NFL. Not a rookie-- or in his 2nd or 3rd year. What indicates that he can learn to play differently, at this point?

• Agree 1

Serious question: Could it be Josh Allen needs glasses?

The fumbled snap was unexpected. But there is unexpected like you're sitting at a picnic table with your hamburger and potato salad and someone snaps you a football. And there is unexpected like you're in a game doing the snap count and someone snaps you the ball a second early.

That's why I wondered do they do eye exams every year and might he need glasses?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.