Nattering nabobs of negativism

oldmanfan

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I am not a fan of other teams.  I am sure the same thing happens with other teams.  Why is that important?

Because you are whining about something that happens everywhere in terms of sports fanbases.  It is a given, so why complain about it.  

Maybe you and @eball can get together and form a superfan group. 😂

Edited by LabattBlue
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

No.  When people choose to believe rumor mongers like Whitlock and criticize Allen because of it, that is absurd.

Who started the 5 different Jason Whitlock threads?    The answer is 5 different triggered homers.   Just like YOU started this thread.   Just like @eball started a thread about Gabe Davis a couple of days ago to create a straw man argument about Davis not being captain material.     The doddering douchebags of unobjectivity will go out of their way to create entire threads about negativity to complain about. :rolleyes:

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

Just now, BADOLBILZ said:

Who started the 5 different Jason Whitlock threads?    The answer is 5 different triggered homers.   Just like YOU started this thread.   Just like @eball started a thread about Gabe Davis a couple of days ago to create a straw man argument about Davis not being captain material.     The doddering douchebags of unobjectivity will go out of their way to create entire threads about negativity to complain about. :rolleyes:

I see how you can think that. However, I started the Whitlock thread about how Diggs wants out of Buffalo because there weren't any good strip clubs, and how he doesn't care about winning. I started that to showcase how utterly absurd that take was. But alas, more than a few posters came in and actually believed Whitlock, and agreed with him. Simon rightfully deleted that thread. Yet, the Whitlock threads continue. And with that, people continue to believe what is said, agree with it, and raming their stupid opinions down our throats. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I struggle to understand this fan base sometimes.  Many seem to actively search for ways to downplay the team’s fortunes and/or denigrate specific players, management and such.  Examples include:

1.  Ragging on for years on Edmunds, then as soon as he leaves in free agency ragging on Beane for not resigning or replacing him.

2.  Ragging on Beane for not having a veteran guy behind Brown at RT,  then ragging on him because the guy he got retired (as if Beane should be Nostradamus) then ragging on getting Ifedi as if we were going to get an All Pro.

There are many such examples.  But the last 24 hours or so have taken the cake, because who are we negative on now?  Josh Allen.  And why?  Mainly because of two articles from the gasbag known as Jason Whitlock, the first of which he said was a lie, then the second of which he claims Josh doesn’t work hard enough and it’s supposedly well known.  Throw in an interview with MacAfee where Josh specifically states he watches a lot of film but qualifies what he takes from it, and all of a sudden it’s Josh that is why the Bills haven’t won a Lombardi.  It’s Josh who drinks too much (one incident with Kyle Allen), Josh who doesn’t work out, Josh who doesn’t spend enough time on football in the off-season (put your TV on and measure in minutes how long till you see Mahomes in a commercial).  Or Josh impregnating waitresses, which no reputable news source has validated.

All this leads me to ask:  what the hell is wrong with some people around here?  I am not saying Josh can’t improve.  He needs to continue learning to take the short routes, get the ball out quicker, etc.  but to claim he is now somehow the problem, that it’s his work ethic, that as one person said here that they don’t like Josh personally  as if he actually has ever met the guy?  Come on.

I have thought for quite a long time there are folks on this board that really want the Bills to lose so they can somehow crow on a message board that they were right.  I think some of the stuff we’re seeing is some bizarre defense mechanism people throw up as a guard should the Bills not win it all.  

Me?  I’ve been a fan since 1960 when I was 5 years old.  I will do as I’ve always done, enter the season with optimism and then see how things go.  Offer praise when merited as well as criticism when merited.  But to actively seek out reasons for negativism, even to the point of believing nonsensical crap to do so?  I don’t get it.

You do realize we have Dolphin,Jet and Patriot trolls here. More than you might believe. One guy thinks Niagara Falls is near Syracuse and another bought his new Bills hat from  Bells Supermarket

Edited by HOUSE
  • Haha (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Because you are whining about something that happens everywhere in terms of sports fanbases.  It is a given, so why complain about it.  

Maybe you and @eball can get together and form a superfan group. 😂

I am saying I do not understand it.  I do not understand why people will buy into any idiot Internet comment to be negative about a team that has been in the playiffs for several years.  I don’t understand why people believe their star QB doesn’t work hard enough based on a columnist who the same day said everything he said about Diggs was just made up.  Explain to me the rationale behind such thought.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

I am saying I do not understand it.  I do not understand why people will buy into any idiot Internet comment to be negative about a team that has been in the playiffs for several years.  I don’t understand why people believe their star QB doesn’t work hard enough based on a columnist who the same day said everything he said about Diggs was just made up.  Explain to me the rationale behind such thought.

I can’t explain why anyone posts the things they do.  Some I agree with, some I don’t, but the ones I disagree with I usually read and move on. No need for me to start new threads complaining about them. 

45 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

well we know who’s actually hitting the gym at 5:30 am in the summer in between Lombardis. 

https://www.menshealth.com/entertainment/a31251134/patrick-mahomes-workout/

You mean the same Patrick Mahomes that golfed a ton this offseason, took his family on multiple vacations, went to Coachella, drank, etc?  You know all the type of things Allen is getting flack for and more?  

Just now, Alphadawg7 said:

You mean the same Patrick Mahomes that golfed a ton this offseason, took his family on multiple vacations, went to Coachella, drank, etc?  You know all the type of things Allen is getting flack for and more?  

No- I was talking about the guy in the men’s health article that grinds in the gym during the offseason with a trainer after winning superbowls. Seems like maybe the myopic view that Josh outworks every player in the nfl is a tad homercentric …

the hero worship is pure and innocent though, so carry on. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Marcus Aurelius said:

Agree.

But instantly realized you WERE old (like me 😁) with this quote  ...

"Nattering nabobs of negativism"

A phrase used by Vice President Spiro Agnew to refer to the members of the media with whom he had a very acrimonious relationship.

I thought I was the only one who recognized that quote. 

Most of the people on this board weren't born when Spiro Agnew was around, and in a lot of cases neither were their parents.

Props to the OP for dredging up that quote!

• Like (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

playiffs.  I like that. Going to use it. 

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Where did relationship in Green Bay breakdown between Rodgers and coaching staff?  It happened when they got rid of Alex Van Pelt (the QB who beat Dan Marino's record at Pittsburg) without talking to him because they wanted a QB coach who could develop an upcoming QB and they felt Rodgers did not need QB coach.  Alex Van Pelt has been known as one of the sharpest offense preparers and he broke down the defense for Rodgers so Rodgers had more time to concentrate what was important to him.  Joe Brady is a sharp man who graduated from William & Mary and is hopefully doing same role for Josh.

Agree on Van Pelt who has a sharp football mind. Also agree about Joe Brady. And I wouldn’t discount the work Dorsey has done with Allen since he got here in 2019 as his QB coach. 

13 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

No- I was talking about the guy in the men’s health article that grinds in the gym during the offseason with a trainer after winning superbowls. Seems like maybe the myopic view that Josh outworks every player in the nfl is a tad homercentric …

the hero worship is pure and innocent though, so carry on. 

So a gym workout now equates to more work all off season when Mahomes took a ton of time off for golf, travel, leisure and partying.  I mean I was standing next to him and Kelce in VIP at Coachella while they got hammered.  But nice try

Edited by Alphadawg7

I struggle to understand this fan base sometimes.  Many seem to actively search for ways to downplay the team’s fortunes and/or denigrate specific players, management and such.  Examples include:

1.  Ragging on for years on Edmunds, then as soon as he leaves in free agency ragging on Beane for not resigning or replacing him.

2.  Ragging on Beane for not having a veteran guy behind Brown at RT,  then ragging on him because the guy he got retired (as if Beane should be Nostradamus) then ragging on getting Ifedi as if we were going to get an All Pro.

There are many such examples.  But the last 24 hours or so have taken the cake, because who are we negative on now?  Josh Allen.  And why?  Mainly because of two articles from the gasbag known as Jason Whitlock, the first of which he said was a lie, then the second of which he claims Josh doesn’t work hard enough and it’s supposedly well known.  Throw in an interview with MacAfee where Josh specifically states he watches a lot of film but qualifies what he takes from it, and all of a sudden it’s Josh that is why the Bills haven’t won a Lombardi.  It’s Josh who drinks too much (one incident with Kyle Allen), Josh who doesn’t work out, Josh who doesn’t spend enough time on football in the off-season (put your TV on and measure in minutes how long till you see Mahomes in a commercial).  Or Josh impregnating waitresses, which no reputable news source has validated.

All this leads me to ask:  what the hell is wrong with some people around here?  I am not saying Josh can’t improve.  He needs to continue learning to take the short routes, get the ball out quicker, etc.  but to claim he is now somehow the problem, that it’s his work ethic, that as one person said here that they don’t like Josh personally  as if he actually has ever met the guy?  Come on.

I have thought for quite a long time there are folks on this board that really want the Bills to lose so they can somehow crow on a message board that they were right.  I think some of the stuff we’re seeing is some bizarre defense mechanism people throw up as a guard should the Bills not win it all.  

Me?  I’ve been a fan since 1960 when I was 5 years old.  I will do as I’ve always done, enter the season with optimism and then see how things go.  Offer praise when merited as well as criticism when merited.  But to actively seek out reasons for negativism, even to the point of believing nonsensical crap to do so?  I don’t get it.

Pay your taxes, Spiro!

Thanks for writing this OldManFan.

I've been thinking about writing a similar post myself for a while now.

I've been a member of this board since day one, and cannot recall ever seeing this amount of negativity before, even through all of the drought years.

I've lived overseas now for over 18 years, so don't know if this negative attitude is prevalent throughout the entire country or if it's just a local thing, but it's very sad.

Looking back at my life, I can honestly say that the number one thing I've learned is the importance of having a positive attitude, coupled with gratitude. Without it, what's the point of living?  You need to look forward to things, and then give thanks for those things once they've manifested into reality.

The same holds true for being a Bills fan. Why spend your life being miserable?  There'sa difference betweenbeing critical and being negative. (I'd be interested to know how many of these "negative Nancy's" never stuck their necks out to achieve their dreams, instead choosing to continue to live the same daily drudgery of life, over and over again.)

Wake up, smell the roses and enjoy life, including this young exciting team that we call our own.  

I'm sure many of you will roll your eyes at this post, and even write a snarky reply, but I couldn't care less.  I may not be a rich man, but I've lived a far better life than I ever dreamed of, mostly because of positivity and gratitude.  

I have high hopes for this season. However,  if they crash and burn, I'll put it aside and then look forward to next year.

Anyway... I wish you all nothing but the very best.

Let's go Buffalo!

• Like (+1) 2

56 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I’m livin’ rent free in that inflated head of yours! 😂

2 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think you don't understand the difference between being laughed AT and laughed WITH.

My responses and call outs to you are strictly intended to be rhetorical.:lol:

Because you've shown no ability to adapt........you follow the same mixology for being wrong.    

Blind homerism + a stubborn and willful ignorance of the game + day drinking =  an @eball highball.

Though in reality you have betrayed your fandom for real...........the proof being quitting your season tickets out of frustration with the organization when Sean McDermott was hired.    

It's true that there are a lot of us who offer constructive criticism of the team into the discussion............what you did there is "destructive" criticism of the team by removing that unconditional financial support out of spite..........but I thank you for the content it provides when calling out your hypocrisy.:beer:

Please don’t start charging me rent for the space I’m occupying inside that cavernous skull… 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Bad Things said:

Thanks for writing this OldManFan.

I've been thinking about writing a similar post myself for a while now.

I've been a member of this board since day one, and cannot recall ever seeing this amount of negativity before, even through all of the drought years.

I've lived overseas now for over 18 years, so don't know if this negative attitude is prevalent throughout the entire country or if it's just a local thing, but it's very sad.

Looking back at my life, I can honestly say that the number one thing I've learned is the importance of having a positive attitude, coupled with gratitude. Without it, what's the point of living?  You need to look forward to things, and then give thanks for those things once they've manifested into reality.

The same holds true for being a Bills fan. Why spend your life being miserable?  There'sa difference betweenbeing critical and being negative. (I'd be interested to know how many of these "negative Nancy's" never stuck their necks out to achieve their dreams, instead choosing to continue to live the same daily drudgery of life, over and over again.)

Wake up, smell the roses and enjoy life, including this young exciting team that we call our own.  

I'm sure many of you will roll your eyes at this post, and even write a snarky reply, but I couldn't care less.  I may not be a rich man, but I've lived a far better life than I ever dreamed of, mostly because of positivity and gratitude.  

I have high hopes for this season. However,  if they crash and burn, I'll put it aside and then look forward to next year.

Anyway... I wish you all nothing but the very best.

Let's go Buffalo!

Says the fella named Bad Things . . . 

I agree, though. I would rephrase slightly. Optimism can be blind and irrational. Hope, however, is necessary for any happiness, even the capacity to act rationally. A certain daring combined with gratitude is a rare, but winning combination.

• Like (+1) 2

27 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So a gym workout now equates to more work all off season when Mahomes took a ton of time off for golf, travel, leisure and partying.  I mean I was standing next to him and Kelce in VIP at Coachella while they got hammered.  

Sorry, your article where he got a workout in doesn't mean he did that daily all offseason which its WELL DOCUMENTED he didn't.  Even though you want to imply he did and Allen doesn't work in the offseason even though he spent every offseason of his career working on things to get better and pretty much since he last stepped off a college football field.  

Wait so you seeing mahommes at Coachella confirms Allen works harder than any other nfl player in the off season?? 

you’re bonkers man. You have no idea what these guys do all off season. Allen got his mechanics mapped and decided to change them and works out with some other scrub QBs for a few weeks in the summer on the beach in Cali. How that makes him the hardest working player in the off season is just homerist mythology 

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

...I am not saying Josh can’t improve.  He needs to continue learning to take the short routes, get the ball out quicker, etc....

Me?  I’ve been a fan since 1960 when I was 5 years old....

Regarding Josh.. he improved tremendously under the tutelage of Jordan Palmer. I'm not aware that he does the Palmer training anymore in the off-season. Bummer. I think it would help him even further.

Also, congrats on your advanced age. We lost Jimmy Buffet today at the early age of 76. Is your estate planned? I'm doing mine now.

2 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Wait so you seeing mahommes at Coachella confirms Allen works harder than any other nfl player in the off season?? 

you’re bonkers man. You have no idea what these guys do all off season. Allen got his mechanics mapped and decided to change them and works out with some other scrub QBs for a few weeks in the summer on the beach in Cali. How that makes him the hardest working player in the off season is just homerist mythology 

So you say you have no idea what players do in the off-season, then proceed to discuss and criticize what Allen does in the off-season.  Thanks for verifying what I put in the opening post.

1 minute ago, k2mountain said:

Regarding Josh.. he improved tremendously under the tutelage of Jordan Palmer. I'm not aware that he does the Palmer training anymore in the off-season. Bummer. I think it would help him even further.

Also, congrats on your advanced age. We lost Jimmy Buffet today at the early age of 76. Is your estate planned? I'm doing mine now.

I’m good thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I never wanted to thiNk if Spiro Agnew ever again. But you make fair points.

16 minutes ago, k2mountain said:

He does still work with Palmer, the fact that he doesn't put up giant billboards describing his offseason routine doesn't mean he isn't doing anything. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Not upset.  I just can’t understand the motivation

I agree. You just have to consider the source. I have been fighting it on another message board. It’s a waste of time. I got to the point I told people I’m not there to change their mind, I don’t want them to change who they are. You know when the bills do good they will be cheering saying I told you so.

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

He’s done a lot more than that.  But make up what ever narrative you want which is clearly your objective 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I thought I was the only one who recognized that quote. 

Most of the people on this board weren't born when Spiro Agnew was around, and in a lot of cases neither were their parents.

Props to the OP for dredging up that quote!

Most of the people on this board can't write their own names in cursive😎

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Here is the dumbest part about all of this...

Since Josh has entered the league, there is not a single QB, maybe player, that has put as much work in during the offseason as Josh has to elevate his game fix his weaknesses.  Its a CRITICAL part as to why he has been a unicorn in coming in so raw and rising to such an elite level.

Then after one of the most emotionally draining seasons for any team that I can ever remember starting with Matt Araiza, the death of Luke Knox, grocery store massacre, multiple blizzards and deaths, and then Hamlin...not to mention an elbow injury his missed ZERO SNAPS for that would have sidelined just about every other QB in the league at least 4-6 weeks...he takes some time to heal the mind, heart, and body this offseason...which by the way included the separation of his long time girlfriend as well.  

Its utterly insane the criticism he is getting right now.  Bills have the #1 offense in the NFL in scoring the past 3 seasons and why, because of Allen.  Suddenly the media and shockingly even fans here are suddenly trying VERY hard to turn on him and make him the problem.  And for what?  Because he drunk with a teammate on an off day?  Because he said he watches a lot of film but doesn't want to over watch and get locked into a way D plays knowing they will play him and the Bills different?  Because he played some golf during an offseason when he needed to clear the mind and rest?  Its utterly insane because look around the NFL, that is what most players did this offseason, even all the greats.  

This kid leaves it all out on the field every week, puts it all on the line on EVERY play. 

He prioritzes the fans and goes WAY out of his way to sign, meet, greet, and take pics.

Josh is heavily involved in the community and giving back.

You will never not find him with a smile and positive attitude.  

He is a model citizen, player, and human by all accounts who is dedicated to his craft and teammates.  

He deserves better than the BS treatment he is getting in the media, and he sure as heck deserves a lot better from the unappreciative base here.  These are the times where the board comes unbearable to be honest.  Josh has given us fans all kinds of access to him talking, having fun, joking, etc with all these interviews and podcasts...and some people just circle like vultures to validate negative feelings and look for sound bites for confirmation bias.  I wouldn't be surprised if Josh said f-it I am not doing anymore of these because of the people just looking to use it against him.  

There are people on this board who don't deserve to watch this team or Allen.  Not saying the good posters who had some reasonable comments, questions, or concerns.  But the ones trying to over exaggerate every negative story on the team, Diggs, Allen, or whatever just to sew their all the time negative view point.  

Some personalities like to destroy. Even the good things. They do it in their personal lives as well. 

I think that’s the type of people these fans are. They subconsciously want it all torn down again. They are never happy. After we win a SB they will start nitpicking and want it all torn down again. And again and again. 

NYC is like this to a much higher degree. Just waiting for Jeter to trip up so they can eat him alive. Wilson is the most recent sacrifice and they are just itching for the Rodgers comeback turned washed up story already prepped in the oven. 

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

And if you can't listen to Allen describe his lack of working out, especially when it comes from his own mouth, then you have no objectivity either. 

Please tell us where Allen described his lack of working out. 

I had a little look around at Kyle Brandt's Basement from this off-season and can not find such a thing.

Thanks.

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I believe that for a lot of the consistently negative poster it comes down to a couple things.

1. I think it's fair to say more times then not roster moves tend to gravitate to either not working out well or being a minor improvement NFL wide. That goes for draft picks and FA signings. Statistically if you pan every move you will be right more times and can thus crow about how smart they are. And there is absolutely zero accountability for when they are wrong. Let's say someone like Harty goes off this year and has a monster season. All they have to do is say "Boy, fellas I've never been happier to be wrong." and then go on to the next move to pan.

2. I think a lot of people that are ultra negative also do so to protect their own feelings/emotions/outlooks. Lower expectations so they are mentally prepared for the worst when and if it happens. I see that with a lot of people that appear to lean way too much of their own personal happiness into team success.

I believe #2 is quite accurate.  In Bills history the WORST has happened so many times since the AFL-NFL merger.  We don't want the Bills to be better or competitive.  We want a Super Bowl win to clear our minds and cleanse our souls.

3 hours ago, k2mountain said:

Hi.

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/one-bills-live-jordan-palmer-on-working-with-josh-and-kyle-allen

Palmer talks about working with Josh Allen (not as long duration as he used to, due to playing in January and needing time for physical and mental recovery) and using the video they generate to coach him on mechanics Mon-Tues during the season.

Now I put this up on another thread and folks all interpreted it "oh, I thought they danced around if he works with Jordan" or truncated it "oh he only worked with him for a couple weeks" but neither of those viewpoints appear to me to be supported by the actual interview.

As far as Josh really improving, that seemed to come when Chris Hess of Biometric (at Palmer's arrangement) mapped his throwing motion in the 2020 off season.  That helped Josh identify that he was actually not using his lower body in his throwing, and he re-worked his throwing motion.  He discussed still doing this on his interview with Pat McAfee

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.