Good Night / Bad Night - Pre-season game 3

GunnerBill

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Hamlin is one of (what I see anyway) as a "hidden battle" on the roster.

I dunno about "hesitant and fearful".  But let's be real.  The guy probably had broken ribs.  He was undoubtedly limited in the physical conditioning he was allowed to do for several months.  Now he's trying to work his way back, and competing against athletes who've been full-go training with all their might since March. 

I think you're correct that it's closer than many would think, and if it's closer, the Cold Hard Football Assessment would say keep Lewis because of his versatility.

Marlowe is older and slower, if it's close you keep Hamlin.

I think the Bills are aware that Hamlin is not back to 100% physically and are likely to give him more time to "play himself into shape".

My guess is that you are correct. Reporters probably feel like it would be disrespectful to say he is fighting for a spot on the team, so no one is talking about it, outside of the building.   

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

And I certainly don't think Lance zerline is even a standard... But as far as pundits goes he's one of the more consistent over a decade

So I was using him as an example of somebody that I knew really liked Tremaine

Isn't that the crapshoot of the draft? Sometimes trying to calculate future potential with actual developed skills... I think Tremaine Edmunds is a good football player.. perhaps really good at times

But the NFL also has a salary cap which I don't know if his contract is worth it

We certainly drafted him based on physical traits and potential... He had good tape and I projected him that he could be an MLB

But it was all projection

I didn't even know you'd quoted Zierlein. 

I reference him because unlike other pundits, his scouting reports stay on file and can be searched for and re-read years later.   I shake my head at the grades, but when I go back and re-read one of his scouting reports, I often find him listing as weaknesses the same areas that are being critiqued in a pro player 2 years in.

Absolutely you're correct about the crapshoot of the draft.

Originally I didn't bring up Beane's 2018 and 2019 drafts because we were drafting higher then (7, 16, and 9 overall)

My point was that I think Beane has decided to compensate for late draft choices by trying to keep the "star" pipeline going, which means going for 'diamonds with a flaw' - high ceiling/low floor guys as opposed to steady-eddie lower celing/high floor guys who might contribute more earlier.  This has two problems: 1. as @Sierra Foothills pointed out, it's possible HC/LF guys may have a higher bust rate (unproven) 2. it may take these guys a couple years to reach their potential, in which case instead of having a solid player under contract for 5 years, we have a disappointing player who shows flashes under contract for 2 years, improvement in year 3, a strong player in year 4 and 5, then just when he's looking good we need to pay him the big bucks or watch him walk.

I don't know what's a better strategy though. 

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I didn't even know you'd quoted Zierlein. 

I reference him because unlike other pundits, his scouting reports stay on file and can be searched for and re-read years later.   I shake my head at the grades, but when I go back and re-read one of his scouting reports, I often find him listing as weaknesses the same areas that are being critiqued in a pro player 2 years in.

Absolutely you're correct about the crapshoot of the draft.

Originally I didn't bring up Beane's 2018 and 2019 drafts because we were drafting higher then (7, 16, and 9 overall)

My point was that I think Beane has decided to compensate for late draft choices by trying to keep the "star" pipeline going, which means going for 'diamonds with a flaw' - high ceiling/low floor guys as opposed to steady-eddie lower celing/high floor guys who might contribute more earlier.  This has two problems: 1. as @Sierra Foothills pointed out, it's possible HC/LF guys may have a higher bust rate (unproven) 2. it may take these guys a couple years to reach their potential, in which case instead of having a solid player under contract for 5 years, we have a disappointing player who shows flashes under contract for 2 years, improvement in year 3, a strong player in year 4 and 5, then just when he's looking good we need to pay him the big bucks or watch him walk.

I don't know what's a better strategy though. 

I think it's strictly by position

If you're drafting an offensive linemen in the first three rounds you probably want to shoot for the most developed guy.. someone that you know can play

If you're drafting a TE... I think it's perfectly fine to take a chance on a high upside guy like Knox with little production

I think grades on a player are highly subjective... Because scheme fit and where you land also matters...

Typically as a collegiate amateur with a good amount of snaps... Couple that with athletic testing grades... You can get a strong sense of their strengths and weaknesses and where they should fall in the draft

But every amateur player getting drafted, has a lot of skill and can flourish in the right situation for the most part... Only a few are lost causes out the gate... Competing everyday at the highest level is a grind 

The NFL is 1% of the best college players in the world.. who became professionals...there are redeemable attributes for most

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Like (+1) 1

For all those that wanted to keep Hughes around, I have to say AJE reminds me a lot of him.  I keep waiting for AJE to start hitting the QB's at a more consistent rate.  He looks the part of a speed rusher but he's just not as disruptive on a regular bases as it seems like he should be.  I still think after Miller, Floyd, and Rousseau that AJE is probably our best pass rusher but he's not much for setting an edge.

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

And I certainly don't think Lance zerline is even a standard... But as far as pundits goes he's one of the more consistent over a decade

So I was using him as an example of somebody that I knew really liked Tremaine

I'v

But the NFL also has a salary cap which I don't know if his contract is worth it

We certainly drafted him based on physical traits and potential... He had good tape and I projected him that he could be an MLB

But it was all projection

I've been out for a few hours, and now I'm back.   

Here's what I think/meant, and it's all in my earlier responses to Beck.  Beck said he thinks Beane goes after high risk, high reward guys late in the first round.  I agree.  And it may be a mistake to draft that way.  

Here's what I think about the draft.  I think every year there are some guys in the draft who are close to locks in terms of being stars.   No one is a totally sure thing, but awfully close.   I think there five to ten guys in draft like that, year in, year out.   Once you get to 10 or maybe 15, you're looking at guys who have really high ceilings, but who are more higher risk guys.   When you get to the bottom of the first round, there still may be a few guys with high ceilings, but they are higher risk.  And you start getting some guys who are locks to be players in the league for a long time, but with lower ceilings.  

So, drafting where Beane is drafting, he has a choice - go for the high ceiling high risk guys, or go for the lower ceiling lower risk guys.   Beck's theory, and I think I agree, is that Beane pretty consistently goes after the high ceiling guys.  I said I think Beane does this because the Bills very much want to have long-term keepers, and that means guys who get a second contract.  Low ceiling guys are less likely to be second contract guys.  

Finally, I mentioned Edmunds for the reason Beck understood.   Edmunds was a high ceiling guy, but he wasn't a top 10, near-lock kind of guy.  He was a higher risk guy, but Beane was attracted to the possibility that Edmunds could become a generational middle linebacker, a no-brainer second contract guy.  

There's a cost to drafting that way, which is that you have a season or two or even three where you have a problem at a position because the high-ceiling guy you invested in, a guy like Elam or Cody Ford, not only doesn't approach his ceiling; he isn't even a valuable regular contributor to your team's success.   How big is that cost, compared to having a guy who is contributing in his first season, a guy like Rousseau.  Now, I don't think Rousseau's proved anything yet, he hasn't approached his ceiling, but at least Rousseau has been a regular contributor from the start.   Is it worth it to have the chance at Rousseau's ceiling?  

I don't know if it's worth it.  I really don't.  But what Beck's pointed out is that, right or wrong, Beane's approach seems to be to bet on the high ceiling guys and be willing to take his lumps on misses.  In fact, his approach to team-building is that he's going to beat the other teams at finding and developing high-ceiling talent.  He's going to be better identifying talent, and then he's going to give that talent to McDermott.  McDermott's job is get most of the high ceiling talent to reach their ceilings. 

Beane loves competition, and his job is competition against the other GMs.  Beane lives to compete, and he leaves nothing on the field, so to speak.  He and McDermott have the same mentality.  In McDermott, I think of it as the wrestler's mentality.   All-out physical fight.  It's Beane's mentality, too.   I wouldn't expect a competitor like that to do anything else; he's going to fight and scratch claw for the best players.  That means he's always going after the high-ceiling guy.  Almost always. 

Edit:  Just to be clear, it took me some time to put together this post.  While I fiddling with it, Beck posted saying a lot of the same things I say in this post.   I didn't copy what he said, and now I find it surprising how similar it is.  

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Pre-season 2023 is in the books now all eyes are on the cuts tracker. I think the Bills have generally started their moves the day before so I expect we will see movement on Monday. The deadline for the 53 is 4pm Tuesday. Let's have a look at who helped themselves and who hurt themselves in the 24-21 victory over Chicago.

Good Night for...

Offensive Rhythm - Much better day for the starting offense as their one drive resulted in 12 plays, 72 yards and a touchdown. Two things were noticeably different from the Steelers game. The first was obviously the offensive line played better. There was the one 3rd down breakdown (probably O'Cyrus Torrence's first real pass pro failure of pre-season) where Josh had to be superman to make a play but in general they held their own up front and continue to look effective as run blockers. The second was the establishment of some quick game. And that was missing in action last week. Some of the excuses were that the Bills weren't game planning. Nobody is asking for game planning just some semblance of a quick game to help their line. It was missing much of last season too and I think we will need it as the season progresses. Josh looked sharp and on point, Diggs got a couple of balls, Cook looked good and the Bills moved the chains. The one further observation was the number of different personnel groupings and formations - I think we saw some 11, some 12, some 21, some 10.

Christian Benford - Dane Jackson has been the leader in the clubhouse in the three man battle for CB2 since camp opened but right at the last it looks like outsider Benford may have stolen the job. The former 6th rounder out of Villanova got the start opposite Tre White and had a nice pass breakup and a good tackle in run support while just generally looking like he had good coverage most snaps he played. Jackson came in on the 2nd drive when they sat Tre down and did nothing wrong but I'd make Benford the favourite to start week 1.

Siran Neal - Siran Neal has been unlucky not to make my good night list in the first two weeks because he has been one of the best Bills players in pre-season. He began it competing with Cam Lewis for the #2 nickel job but that competition has been won comprehensively and he had two endzone pass breakups yesterday as well as being active as a tackler in the open field. He was always making the roster as an elite gunner on coverage units but his play on defense probably saves the Bills a roster spot that they may have thought they needed for a backup nickel. Which probably means Cam Lewis and the impressive Ja'Marcus Ingram are headed for the practice squad.

Trent Sherfield - I think the Bills staff will love this guy. I don't know that there is a single special trait that separates him out as a receiver but he does a bit of everything. He had a nice catch over the middle yesterday, a nice out route where he demonstrated some short area separation talent and then attracted a DPI on a deep ball where he got behind the defence. Add that to his blocking, his special teams play and his versatility and he was built to play for a Sean McDermott team. He has already shown me he is an upgrade as the #3 outside receiver over and above what they had with Jake Kumerow and John Brown in 2022. How much run he gets in the regular season will be interesting to monitor.

Damien Harris - Seven rushes for 25 yards might not have wowed anyone on Harris's pre-season debut but it was a positive step forward that he could get on the field. A guy with his injury history missing the whole pre-season might just have put a nagging doubt in the head of Brandon Beane about whether this experiment was worth persisting with - especially with Mims and Evans showing well as the 3rd and 4th back in his absence. But Harris showed a bit of burst and did something the Bills have earmarked him for - ploughed into the endzone in a goalline package. I doubt his yards per attempt numbers will wow anyone by the end of the regular season either, but I wouldn't be surprised if his first down conversion and touchdown numbers are impressive.

Bad Night for...

Kaiir Elam - Elam makes it a hattrick in the bad night column. Some of that has been about his own play on the field, especially week 2 vs Pittsburgh, but some of it has been about his usage. Week 1 he was platooned with Dane Jackson in the first team defense, by week 3 he was the 4th man up and only got in once the Bills had really gone to what was a mixture of 2s and 3s. If Benford has won the CB2 competition from the back of the pack Elam has gone in the other direction. He is still struggling with those transitions in zone. I think it is the main thing keeping him off the field, his understanding of where to give cushion, when the break on the ball and just the mechanical function of adjusting his body from one to the other. Last night's usage said to me he is 4th of 4 among our boundary corners. Some of that is on him, some of it is on the Bills who just haven't managed to mesh the player they picked with their scheme. 

Damar Hamlin - I will preface this by saying I think Damar Hamlin will make the roster. But I think he might have Siran Neal to thank for that. Because if Neal hadn't been so impressive as the nickel #2 I could well have imagined the Bills giving the final safety spot to Cam Lewis for his ability to play nickel as well. Damar was poor last week and he struggled again. Out of position, a huge whiff on the tackle on DJ Moore that led to a big gain and just generally struggling to make an impact. In his favour he is always willing, he plays with maximum effort, I'm just not sure his pre-season has been particularly strong. It's also worth considering the balance of the safety room. If Hamlin and Rapp are the backups they lack a true center fielder behind Hyde. Because Poyer can play both spots maybe they worry less about that but it might factor in if Damar is a surprise cut this week. 

AJ Epenesa - This was the full AJ Epenesa experience. A sack and another good pressure but two bad overrurns when he takes the wide attack angle that led to long Quarterback escapes - the first play of that third drive where Fields scampered for 13 and a first down and the touchdown run from the backup QB. And it is not like this is the first time we have seen it. I go back to 2021 when he had a strong start to the season but began to lose reps after a similar loss of contain saw Taylor Heinicke escape for a rushing touchdown. It has been a persistent problem. In the three drives where there was some semblance of first team defense in the Bills rotated the right defensive end. Boogie got the first drive. Leonard Floyd got the second. AJE got the third. That might just have been the planned rotation but it is reasonable to ask whether it represents where they stand in order of preference. It is a change from the start of pre-season where Epenesa was the first guy in. While the consensus seemed to be that AJ had the stronger camp, the pre-season games so far have probably been a win for Boogie. 

Justin Shorter - Let's start this by reminding ourselves where Shorter stands in the wide receiver pecking order. He is at best the 5th guy on the depth chart and at best the 4th outside guy on the depth chart after Diggs, Davis and the aforementioned Sherfield. He does have being a 5th round draft pick this year in his favour but to make the 53 he is going to have to play teams. To that end failing to come down with a contested catch along the far sideline probably hurts less than losing his discipline as a gunner that led to a 56 yard return. He tried to cheat inside, got greedy looking to go for the ball carrier, ran straight into a block and left a huge hole for Scott to burst through. He has to stay patient there... stay in his line and force Scott to keep running laterally. I think the hope with Shorter was that he would justify his spot on the roster this year as a gunner allowing him time to develop as a receiver. I still think that likely is what happens - but he didn't help himself yesterday. 

Gabriel Davis - I put Gabe last because he is going to be on the roster and he is going to start so he doesn't have much to lose in the immediate term from his underwhelming pre-season. The most concerning play to me is the very first drop because it validates the criticism that people have made of Gabe which is that in the shorter areas he isn't adding much value to the Bills offense. He isn't a big short area quickness guy who will generate separation with his burst. He has a decent release package and decent body control and so the exact type of play that you think plays to his strengths if you are using him in the shorter zones is a slant. But Quarterbacks and Offensive Coordinators get very wary of throwing slants into traffic to guys who don't come up with the catch. And if you can't use him there you are resigned to him being a low volume, high output, deep shot guy who runs go routes, post routes and comebacks. You can run a successful offense with that type of #2 receiver.... but your variety will have to come from elsewhere which puts a lot of pressure on Kincaid, Knox, Harty and Sherfield to pick up the slack otherwise teams will just key in on Stefon Diggs the entire year. 

There we go folks. We're on to the Jets! 

Lowkey Shorter has not played well on teams.  That was his role.  Both returns this preseason where on his side of the field.  His potential is intriguing but I think he is firmly on the bubble.  I think Evans and Isabella make that a decision they weren't expecting to have 3 weeks ago. 

Elam is getting some hate.  When playing he hasnt been bad.  I think for 80% of the time Buffalo likes Bedford and Jackson.  They fit the off zone style.  Man to man he has more than held his own and does things neither can.  Bedford coming out of nowhere and playing well is good problem. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

For all those that wanted to keep Hughes around, I have to say AJE reminds me a lot of him.  I keep waiting for AJE to start hitting the QB's at a more consistent rate.  He looks the part of a speed rusher but he's just not as disruptive on a regular bases as it seems like he should be.  I still think after Miller, Floyd, and Rousseau that AJE is probably our best pass rusher but he's not much for setting an edge.

At 34, Hughes had 19 sacks + QB hits last season.  Best year since 2018.

Might be something to how he was being coached/used

You're right about Epenesa struggling in the run game.

57 minutes ago, Doc said:

I don't see a reason to keep Shorter on the 53.  It's not like any team is going to swoop in and put him on their 53.  Which means they can put him on the PS.

Buscaglia says that the Bills will carry 6 receivers and one needs to play special teams.  Shorter apparently is more or less a lock, because he's the best receiver who plays special teams.  

1 hour ago, Maine-iac said:

I don't think AJE and Hughes are so similar.  Hughes was a genuine high quality pass rusher, and some of his talent was put under wraps because of the discipline of the defense.    Hughes learned to play effectively in that defense.   AJE isn't that kind of pass rusher, unfortunately.  And he hasn't been able to play with the discipline the defense requires.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

Lowkey Shorter has not played well on teams.  That was his role.  Both returns this preseason where on his side of the field.

Thought I heard yesterday big return was on Tyrell Shavers .....

8 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Buscaglia says that the Bills will carry 6 receivers and one needs to play special teams.  Shorter apparently is more or less a lock, because he's the best receiver who plays special teams.  

Sherfield plays teams. 

In fact, that's what kept him in the league year 2 through 4...playing teams

Now, whether he plays the role on teams that the Bills need, or whether the Bills want him to play teams or focus on playing receiver, can't tell ya

But he's a proven teams player in the league.

Edited by Beck Water

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Thought I heard yesterday big return was on Tyrell Shavers .....

Shavers let the block punt happen. Shorter got a little too aggressive and lost contain on his lane for the long return. The block he took on got in the way and wound up wiping out most of the backside pursuit. 

5 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

Or they hit on Benford a 6th RD pick unless you’re looking only at the glass half empty.  Elam definitely is not showing and will be CB4.

Elam can become functional but will require more work.

• He needs to understand rules in college and pros are different - he is too "handsy"
  • He needs to work harder understanding zone concepts of Bills.
  • He needs to be used on plays where he is being matched up against a targeted player rather than matched up via zone concepts.

Bills used a 1st round pick on him and needs to adjust defense to fit him just as they did eventually on defense when Edmunds was out and Klein replaced him.

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

The preseason means nothing and you’re reading repercussions into a drop by a player that produces on the biggest stage. Pressure on Harty, Knox, Sherfield and Kincaid is a great problem to have. These guys are going to make our season and give Diggs and Davis better matchups. It’s similar to the doomsday reaction to the O-line being disengaged against Pitt. Watch a regular season game and get back to me.

Except we have seen these issues in the regular season for Gabe.

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Gabe is in a contract year and looks healthy. He’s been very productive in three postseasons. Some people would take his performance as a good #2. I think it’s not a concern on this team.

See I think Gabe is a #2. But he isn't a "good" #2. He is a lower end low volume, high output guy. And as he goes into a contract year his route to improving that is to offer more in the short game. When you look at the way the short game is played one of the shorter routes that best fits his skillset is the slant.... and he dropped a ball on a slant. 

My post isn't saying "man Gabe Davis sucks" it is saying unless he improves in that facet he is what he is. And the early returns were not as encouraging as they could have been. 

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

It sounds like Shorter was pretty poor on STs on Saturday. Going to be interesting to see who they keep. 

36 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Neal with back to back great performances.  He has looked really confident, explosive and decisive out there. May challenge Rapp to keep the big nickel role he has been playing past 2 years

Neal has looked much improved and been flying all over the field.  His biggest issue always seems to be holding/getting too handsy, with TEs and WRs.

If that's mostly fixed, this should FINALLY be the year we roll with a primary dime defense on 3rd downs/obvious passing downs.  

Or Rapp.  Both look capable, although I like Neal's speed and coverage skills better (if he decreases his penalties).

We need more "team speed"/atheleticism in the secondary, Neal or Rapp helps with that.  We haven't seen Bernard yet, but both guys look way better than Dodson. 

Hoepfully Coach has schemes ready for  dime packages, I'm talking 4 man fronts mostly 4-1-6 (not the 3-2-6 looks we've seen against Chiefs)...that can be a huge weapon to get more creative with using Milano and slot blitzes.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

See I think Gabe is a #2. But he isn't a "good" #2. He is a lower end low volume, high output guy. And as he goes into a contract year his route to improving that is to offer more in the short game. When you look at the way the short game is played one of the shorter routes that best fits his skillset is the slant.... and he dropped a ball on a slant. 

My post isn't saying "man Gabe Davis sucks" it is saying unless he improves in that facet he is what he is. And the early returns were not as encouraging as they could have been. 

I think we need to make a distinction between a rookie contract "necessity" WR2 and a "chosen" second contract WR2.

Because any team would be crazy to pay him open market money in UFA to be their WR2 (upwards of $15M aav).    

He just can't make enough basic, on-schedule, chain-moving plays to be a WR2 by choice..........he has to be one out of necessity like he was in Buffalo last season.

That's why I've settled on him being a WR3.    I gave him the slightest benefit of the doubt coming into camp but between the drops in the practice setting and the games it's clear that he just doesn't have the capacity to elevate his ball skills to the next level.

With Gabe it's about matchups and opportunities.........he struggles against CB1 and CB2 because he can't separate from talented CB's without 3+ seconds to do so........and doesn't make anywhere near enough plays in contested situations.

At WR3 he is a 100+ QB rating option for the Bills again.........which aligns with the quality of his QB.

Bills need Kincaid to turn into WR2 pretty early on in this season and then hopefully that attention drawn underneath will free up Gabe for later in the season. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I think we need to make a distinction between a rookie contract "necessity" WR2 and a "chosen" second contract WR2.

Because any team would be crazy to pay him open market money in UFA to be their WR2 (upwards of $15M aav).    

He just can't make enough basic, on-schedule, chain-moving plays to be a WR2 by choice..........he has to be one out of necessity like he was in Buffalo last season.

That's why I've settled on him being a WR3.    I gave him the slightest benefit of the doubt coming into camp but between the drops in the practice setting and the games it's clear that he just doesn't have the capacity to elevate his ball skills to the next level.

With Gabe it's about matchups and opportunities.........he struggles against CB1 and CB2 because he can't separate from talented CB's without 3+ seconds to do so........and doesn't make anywhere near enough plays in contested situations.

At WR3 he is a 100+ QB rating option for the Bills again.........which aligns with the quality of his QB.

Bills need Kincaid to turn into WR2 pretty early on in this season and then hopefully that attention drawn underneath will free up Gabe for later in the season. 

I think someone will choose him as a WR2 when he hits FA. It won't be a contender like the Bills, but someone will.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, MasterStrategist said:

Neal has looked much improved and been flying all over the field.  His biggest issue always seems to be holding/getting too handsy, with TEs and WRs.

If that's mostly fixed, this should FINALLY be the year we roll with a primary dime defense on 3rd downs/obvious passing downs.  

Or Rapp.  Both look capable, although I like Neal's speed and coverage skills better (if he decreases his penalties).

We need more "team speed"/atheleticism in the secondary, Neal or Rapp helps with that.  We haven't seen Bernard yet, but both guys look way better than Dodson. 

Hoepfully Coach has schemes ready for  dime packages, I'm talking 4 man fronts mostly 4-1-6 (not the 3-2-6 looks we've seen against Chiefs)...that can be a huge weapon to get more creative with using Milano and slot blitzes.

Ya I'd love to see more dime looks as well or even nickel with Neal or Rapp as LB

23 hours ago, ganesh said:

I am really concerned how the Special Teams have played in the pre-season games.  They have been terrible.   We have had wonderful special teams the past several years; But this is not looking like any of that.

True…  but maybe with that unit they mostly know the ones and just randomly throw some  bubble guys out there to see if anyone stands out. 

Also bass will put those ko’s in the stands come wk1

On 8/27/2023 at 12:04 PM, Sierra Foothills said:

Yes they have been poor this preseason but color me unconcerned.

As @GunnerBill mentioned at 83 players there's a combo of avoiding injuries and seeing where fringe players fit in. A lack of cohesiveness in special teams is common across the league in the preseason.

No one's mentioned how good Harty looked yesterday on his 3 punt returns. He didn't break any but you could see his fearlessness, elite agility, and vision upfield. If he has that role and stay healthy he's gonna be an excellent punt returner. He's averaged almost 10 yards per return over his career.

Harty also looked good from scrimmage. IF he stays healthy which is a legit concern, I'm pretty sure he's going to outproduce and outplay what Isaiah McKenzie gave us last year.

People on this board overreact to everything the Bills do.

I was also glad to see the resurrection of the short passing game. Contrary to belief, Josh Allen is a very accurate short thrower. He can flick his wrist and place balls horizontally very effectively. His completion percentage went down last year (adding to the myth that he's not an accurate thrower) because of the throws he was trying to make on a constant basis.

I still don't know if Dorsey doesn't reign Josh in enough or if Josh has too much leash or if they're both fixated on the big strike but this offense needs to use the horizontal Brady-type game more to open up the throws downfield. Overall they'd be a much more effective offense with a little more restraint.

Could be a bit of a mix of conspiracy theory and wishful thinking lol  but I think a lot of the abandoning the short throws had to do with his elbow injury.  If your accuracy is a little off a lot of those underneath throws get dicey

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, MasterStrategist said:

Rapp helps ? He’s a fringe backup safety that just makes tackles. He’s slower than 4.8

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

This post must be printed and framed inside everyone’s mind. Well done. Exactly what I think

3 minutes ago, balln said:

Rapp helps ? He’s a fringe backup safety that just makes tackles. He’s slower than 4.8

This post must be printed and framed inside everyone’s mind. Well done. Exactly what I think

In comparison to putting Dodson on the field during passing downs, yes Rapp and Neal helps that situation.

That was my point.  We have better talent at "dime" this year, vs our current MLB.  And would give us more flexibility in using Milano/moving Taron and our safeties.

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/platform/amp/2023/1/24/23569606/los-angeles-rams-free-agents-taylor-rapp-linebacker-move

makes me cringe. McD exact player pref. Positionless. Very slow. But “physical” and “high IQ.” 

Just now, MasterStrategist said:

In comparison to putting Dodson on the field during passing downs, yes Rapp and Neal helps that situation.

That was my point.  We have better talent at "dime" this year, vs our current MLB.  And would give us more flexibility in using Milano/moving Taron and our safeties.

I get that. But if were putting siran Neal and rapp in as our MLB together. They will still get bulldozed up the middle 6-8 yards everything on run downs. Or get torched on play action 

14 minutes ago, balln said:

https://www.turfshowtimes.com/platform/amp/2023/1/24/23569606/los-angeles-rams-free-agents-taylor-rapp-linebacker-move

makes me cringe. McD exact player pref. Positionless. Very slow. But “physical” and “high IQ.” 

I get that. But if were putting siran Neal and rapp in as our MLB together. They will still get bulldozed up the middle 6-8 yards everything on run downs. Or get torched on play action 

Again, passing downs/3rd down defense.  Not advocating Neal or Rapp as a primary MLB option.

I'm talking specific subpackage/down and distance situations - where McD is either baiting a run or feels confident in a passing situation or specific personell. 

For example, it's 3rd and 4, but a team comes out in 12 personell, I'm likely staying in base nickle.  But if it's 3rd and 4, with 3 or 4 Wrs on the field, I'm likely rolling with Dime (depending on field position, time remaining, etc).

Bottom line, I don't think Dodson gives us much on 3rd downs.  He's a liability in coverage, which limits what we do with Matt and Taron and our safeties; and he's not a great blitzer/spy type.  Now I think Bernard could be more effective than Dodson, but we've yet to see him in preseason.  He could be the answer as well, but from how Neal/Rapp have looked, I'd feel more confident in either of them Week 1 (in appropriate situations)

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think someone will choose him as a WR2 when he hits FA. It won't be a contender like the Bills, but someone will.

Yeah that would be ill advised though.   

I think the last time I was surprised by anything in free agency it was when Sean Payton advocated the signing of CJ Spiller and was talking him up like he just found this incredible weapon.    CJ was clearly a notch below a box of rocks on the intelligence meter and an actual successful NFL coach/franchise somehow had no idea of this despite access to all of his hilarious all-22 tape where he clearly had no idea where plays were designed to go.......... and were putting him into a far more complex offense than he played in with Marrone.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

16 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Hamlin is one of (what I see anyway) as a "hidden battle" on the roster.

I dunno about "hesitant and fearful".  But let's be real.  The guy probably had broken ribs.  He was undoubtedly limited in the physical conditioning he was allowed to do for several months.  Now he's trying to work his way back, and competing against athletes who've been full-go training with all their might since March. 

I think you're correct that it's closer than many would think, and if it's closer, the Cold Hard Football Assessment would say keep Lewis because of his versatility.

Marlowe is older and slower, if it's close you keep Hamlin.

I think the Bills are aware that Hamlin is not back to 100% physically and are likely to give him more time to "play himself into shape".

I generally agree with this take. One other factor: Publc Relations. Whether one likes it or not, PR will 100% be a factor in any roster decision on Hamlin. Basically everyone in the US knows who Hamlin is. Him being cut (as opposed to IR’d or put on one of those “Reserve” lists) would be a low-end national news story. And likely would invite criticism (fair or unfair) from the same human interest reporters who’ve been covering all of Hamlin’s charity events.

I’m not saying he can’t or won’t be released outright. But it would surprise me, and I can’t imagine it happens without being accompanied by a wistful press release about how the organization is still behind him 100% or something. 

1 hour ago, Cash said:

I generally agree with this take. One other factor: Publc Relations. Whether one likes it or not, PR will 100% be a factor in any roster decision on Hamlin. Basically everyone in the US knows who Hamlin is. Him being cut (as opposed to IR’d or put on one of those “Reserve” lists) would be a low-end national news story. And likely would invite criticism (fair or unfair) from the same human interest reporters who’ve been covering all of Hamlin’s charity events.

I’m not saying he can’t or won’t be released outright. But it would surprise me, and I can’t imagine it happens without being accompanied by a wistful press release about how the organization is still behind him 100% or something. 

I'm not saying he'll be released, just to be clear. 

I actually think the team will keep him.  I think they liked how he stepped up last season, and they view him as a guy who has been "playing his way back" from severe injury.  Which, make no mistake, is exactly what he's doing.  So if it's close, he gets the benefit of the doubt that he's 80% now (say) and can improve to 90%.

But I do think there is going to be some angst around who gets kept as a DB, and I don't view Hamlin as a lock.

2 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

Could be a bit of a mix of conspiracy theory and wishful thinking lol  but I think a lot of the abandoning the short throws had to do with his elbow injury.  If your accuracy is a little off a lot of those underneath throws get dicey

I don't think it's either.  It's well documented that pre-draft and in his rookie season Josh's short to intermediate accuracy was poor.  Intermediate better his 2nd year, short still poor.   2020, Josh is on record saying he re-worked his throwing motion.  2022, Josh is on record saying that after the injury, he had to revert to the overhead throwing motion he used earlier in his career and away from the rotational throwing motion he developed in 2020 and has used since.

I don't think it's conspiracy or wishful thinking to listen to what Allen actually has said and connect the dots that returning to a throwing motion he used when he was documented as less accurate short/intermediate means he probably had some concerns about where the ball would go short to intermediate.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/28/2023 at 6:44 AM, GunnerBill said:

Take it a step further and say....when it comes to key games, they can hinge on half a dozen plays muffed or made.   We need to be able to count on our #2 to make these plays.  If our #2 is Davis, the answer to "can we count on him?" is:

"perhaps"

18 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I'm not saying he'll be released, just to be clear. 

I actually think the team will keep him.  I think they liked how he stepped up last season, and they view him as a guy who has been "playing his way back" from severe injury.  Which, make no mistake, is exactly what he's doing.  So if it's close, he gets the benefit of the doubt that he's 80% now (say) and can improve to 90%.

But I do think there is going to be some angst around who gets kept as a DB, and I don't view Hamlin as a lock.

Yeah, the hottest Hamlin takes I’ve seen so far are the ones in this thread, and even those (yours and others) are only saying “it’s not a guarantee his roster spot is safe”. 

I think your second paragraph is spot on. If it comes down to a situation where he has to play (whether that’s special teams, or on defense due to injury), that’s when they’ll really have to make a decision. The guy we’ve seen in preseason? Probably not good enough to put out there as a full time starter. But if he’s truly a liability at that point, I think they’ll figure out a injury designation of some sort and IR-return him. 

Of course, the best case scenario is that with more time, practice, and game experience, Hamlin returns to form and it’s a win all around. I can’t imagine how hard that is mentally, but we’ve seen players make crazy comebacks before. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.