Colts grant Jonathan Taylor’s request to seek trade

Big Blitz

44 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I generally agree that RB is not a position I would invest massive resources into as I think offensive line is a much better investment for those cap dollars. But keeping a great top 5-7 RB at a cost is not always a bad idea in certain circumstances.

The thing is if Miami trades for him, he’s going to get a massive contract from them.

Probably will be the highest paid back at around 15 mil per year. 

It would be cost control for this year but that’s it

11 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

There have been some RB's who got a big contract after their rookie deals and played well in recent years. 

Derrick Henry - Signed a 4 year 50 million dollar deal after the 2019 season. He rushed for 2k yards in 2020 and then after an injury-shortened 2021 (where he still nearly pushed 1k yards) he pushed over 1500 yards in 2022. About 2.5 seasons of production and could still add to that. 

LeSean McCoy - Signed a pair of big contracts starting in 2012 with a 45 million dollar deal and then got a 5 year 50 million dollar deal in 2015 with the Bills. From 2012 to 2017 Shady had 4 seasons with over 1k yards including leading the league in rushing in 2013. 

Alvin Kamara - Signed a big extension in 2020 off-season, has more or less performed the way he did from 2017-2019 being a key part of NOLA's offense. 

Nick Chubb - Signed a big extension prior to 2021 and has turned in a pair of big seasons in 2021 and 2022. 

Dalvin Cook - Prior to the 2020 season he signed a massive extension. From 2020 to 2022 he rushed for 1k yards on 4.4 yards per carry average or better. Including a very impressive 1500+ yard season in 2020. 

While there have been examples like Lev Bell and Zeke where second RB contracts have flopped. There have been plenty that have delivered.

Do you have time to summarize the post season success the teams had with the RB Contracts that "delivered"?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan130 said:

The thing is if Miami trades for him, he’s going to get a massive contract from them.

Probably will be the highest paid back at around 15 mil per year. 

It would be cost control for this year but that’s it

This year is fine for them.  Next year would be the issue as I believe that are already 30+ million over the cap.  That's not including whatever Taylors cap hit would be and seeing what happens with Wilkins.

They are in as bad a shape as the bills are for cap but we have some big ones that can be restructured.

Edited by The Wiz
  • Agree 1

On 8/25/2023 at 2:45 PM, BillsFan130 said:

That was 2021 a long time ago for nfl running back standards.

Colts o line was arguably the best in football that year as well.

Dolphins o line is a mess.

Let them Pay an injury prone RB 14-15 mil a year behind a crap o line

How is he injury prone... he missed games last season, but that doesn't make him injury prone.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/27/2023 at 2:32 PM, buffblue said:

How many of these guys have been the difference makers in their team reaching the Super Bowl? Exactly zero.

It's not hard to figure out why. The only teams that foolishly waste big money on the position are the ones who lack a long term, franchise qb. Without one of those, you're not winning anything regardless of how good your running back room may be.

You could argue McCaffery could’ve been the difference maker for the Niners last year had Purdy not gotten injured…

I think Taylor would give this Bills team a similar boost as CMC did, and I’d part with Cook and a 2nd round pick if that’s what it took to find out… plus he’s somehow still only 24? Both he and Cook were born in 99…

Mixon two years ago…

Playoff Lenny for the Bucs…

Can even go back to Beastmode for the Seahawks.

It works when you pair them with the right QB.

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan

1 hour ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

You could argue McCaffery could’ve been the difference maker for the Niners last year had Purdy not gotten injured…

I think Taylor would give this Bills team a similar boost as CMC did, and I’d part with Cook and a 2nd round pick if that’s what it took to find out… plus he’s somehow still only 24? Both he and Cook were born in 99…

Mixon two years ago…

Playoff Lenny for the Bucs…

Can even go back to Beastmode for the Seahawks.

It works when you pair them with the right QB.

Yes, as in Burrow, Brady, and Wilson (at the time a franchise QB). Had those guys not been around, their teams would've never made it to the Super Bowl anyway. If your team does have a stud at quarterback, a highly paid top tier RB is a luxury but hardly a necessity.

There is almost no circumstance from my view where I would ever consider parting with high draft picks or giving huge money to a running back. 

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

According to One Bills Live, there was an unconfirmed rumor that it's a done deal with Miami. 

So there's a legit report (Miami Herald veteran reporter) that the Dolphins are in serious trade talks with the Colts

Who reported that it's a "done deal"?

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So there's a legit report (Miami Herald veteran reporter) that the Dolphins are in serious trade talks with the Colts

Who reported that it's a "done deal"?

They did not say it as a done deal, they just said the rumors, and where they were coming from, are pretty strong that it's going to get done tomorrow. Chris Brown sounded like he had at the very least heard something from someone reliable. He did hedge a little and said there may be another team. But they both (Brown and Tasker) sounded like they were pretty sure it would be Miami. 

I'm sure Miami will end up with him because apparently the AFC East is the only Division in the NFL...B-)

2 minutes ago, KOKBILLS said:

They did not say it as a done deal, they just said the rumors, and where they were coming from, are pretty strong that it's going to get done tomorrow. Chris Brown sounded like he had at the very least heard something from someone reliable. He did hedge a little and said there may be another team. But they both (Brown and Tasker) sounded like they were pretty sure it would be Miami. 

I'm sure Miami will end up with him because apparently the AFC East is the only Division in the NFL...B-)

Chris Brown actually said the source (which I actually saw on Twitter) was not anyone he had heard of and questioned the reliability.  However I do agree that both he and Tasker concluded it would likely be Miami...and pretty much for the reason you cited.

On 8/27/2023 at 4:03 AM, billsfan89 said:

There have been some RB's who got a big contract after their rookie deals and played well in recent years. 

Derrick Henry - Signed a 4 year 50 million dollar deal after the 2019 season. He rushed for 2k yards in 2020 and then after an injury-shortened 2021 (where he still nearly pushed 1k yards) he pushed over 1500 yards in 2022. About 2.5 seasons of production and could still add to that. 

LeSean McCoy - Signed a pair of big contracts starting in 2012 with a 45 million dollar deal and then got a 5 year 50 million dollar deal in 2015 with the Bills. From 2012 to 2017 Shady had 4 seasons with over 1k yards including leading the league in rushing in 2013. 

Alvin Kamara - Signed a big extension in 2020 off-season, has more or less performed the way he did from 2017-2019 being a key part of NOLA's offense. 

Nick Chubb - Signed a big extension prior to 2021 and has turned in a pair of big seasons in 2021 and 2022. 

Dalvin Cook - Prior to the 2020 season he signed a massive extension. From 2020 to 2022 he rushed for 1k yards on 4.4 yards per carry average or better. Including a very impressive 1500+ yard season in 2020. 

While there have been examples like Lev Bell and Zeke where second RB contracts have flopped. There have been plenty that have delivered.

The best case yet for never giving an elite running back a large second contract.  Even the one's that partially or fully live up to it don't even sniff a conference championship game.  Got to hand it to the Bills during the drought for taking three running backs in the first round and giving McCoy a huge deal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

The best case yet for never giving an elite running back a large second contract.  Even the one's that partially or fully live up to it don't even sniff a conference championship game.  Got to hand it to the Bills during the drought for taking three running backs in the first round and giving McCoy a huge deal.

well, also a few of those are laughable. 

kamara last year was nothing like his prime.

1k yards is not a particularly impressive season these days

etc….

9 hours ago, KOKBILLS said:

So where is it coming from?

On 8/27/2023 at 9:32 PM, buffblue said:

How many of these guys have been the difference makers in their team reaching the Super Bowl? Exactly zero.

It's not hard to figure out why. The only teams that foolishly waste big money on the position are the ones who lack a long term, franchise qb. Without one of those, you're not winning anything regardless of how good your running back room may be.

I would’ve loved to see any of those backs playing along side Josh Allen ! 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.