Colts grant Jonathan Taylor’s request to seek trade

Big Blitz

1 hour ago, AKC said:

I enjoyed the construction of your post and the effort. You clearly understand something that's elusive for a lot of fans of the NFL in the modern era- successful teams today have a strategy that isolates positions where a big ticket expenditure can be acceptable, versus the old school reaction of filling ugly holes in your roster with big spends that will keep you from being a more complete team in your strategic image. NFL GMs have nearly completely figured out that the big RB money dump doesn't work.  A contemporary contender like the Bills should continue following their strategy instead of going Imelda Marcos and following the Rams model of stepping outside their strategy to buy up all the shiny shoes they're sure everyone else is idolizing.

Yup, and Rams couldn't get it done paying Gurley, then actually won the SB a handful of years later with cheap RB's.  

While I generally agree with the sentiment of not overpaying for top tier RBs, I think the sticker price on an elite RB has come down considerably, and it may be a buyers market for those who can afford to pay a now reduced premium.

McBeane have also now invested three picks in the first three rounds at RB in their time here, and have yet to get the production they desire out of the position.

JT could definitely be the piece this year that helps get a team to the top of that mountain. This will definitely be a popular opinion, but I would even argue that adding a 24 yr old elite RB who the opposing defense has to gameplan for every Sunday, opens up the offense for 17 in a way that makes the aging elite WR, (who costs considerably more than the young elite RB), expendable next season. 

Edited by Dr.Mantis_Toboggan
  • Disagree 1

42 minutes ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

While I generally agree with the sentiment of not overpaying for top tier RBs, I think the sticker price on an elite RB has come down considerably, and it may be a buyers market for those who can afford to pay a now reduced premium.

McBeane have also now invested three picks in the first three rounds at RB in their time here, and have yet to get the production they desire out of the position.

JT could definitely be the piece this year that helps get a team to the top of that mountain. This will definitely be a popular opinion, but I would even argue that adding a 24 yr old elite RB who the opposing defense has to gameplan for every Sunday, opens up the offense for 17 in a way that makes the aging elite WR, (who costs considerably more than the young elite RB), expendable next season. 

The sticker price for him is going to be top paid RB in the NFL. That's what he'll want, what his agent will demand, and why he wants out of Indianapolis.

Even a lesser than normal sticker price for top RB is going to be way more than we can afford, especially at that position. And Draft Pick compensation on top of it. This is a pipe dream.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The sticker price for him is going to be top paid RB in the NFL. That's what he'll want, what his agent will demand, and why he wants out of Indianapolis.

Even a lesser than normal sticker price for top RB is going to be way more than we can afford, especially at that position. And Draft Pick compensation on top of it. This is a pipe dream.

Missed my point, “top paid” RB isn’t what it used to be in a down market for RBs across the board, comparative to other positions, I.e. wide receiver.

I’m sure they could structure the deal so he gets more money next year when they move on from Diggs… Josh won’t need top paid WRs, what he needs is to stop being the entire offense.

• Eyeroll 1

15 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

I think James Cook's elite speed will force teams to game plan for him, especially with Kincaid on the field at the same time. 

Just as Beane has heavily invested on RBs, he has also invested on DEs and the results so far all have been poor,  Hopefully,  Cook and Rosseau will be able to change the narrative.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.