Super Excited For This Draft Class

GreggTX

6 hours ago, eball said:

I think we are very quickly going to see that Diggs/Davis/Knox/Kincaid/Cook is the best offense we can put out on the field, and a pretty effing fantastic one.

The potential for that group of core playmakers, especially if the OL is improved .. off the charts. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

not sure if you’re talking about his draft class being the best or Bruce being my favorite draft pick ever

I think Josh will get us a Lombardi-  one Lombardi and a HoFer trumps 2 HoFers and No lombardi imo.  

I was 11 when bruce was drafted.   I didn’t know anything about him so he wasn’t my favorite draft pick ever.  

I’ve been studying draft prospects since 2007, Kincaid is the draft pick I’ve been most excited about based on what I’ve seen.  Prior to Kincaid, Sammy Watkins was that guy for me.  Shows how much I know

My buddy wanted Flutie, and I wanted Bruce bad.  It was the only draft pick I was ever right about.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Subpar drafts are the main reasons why we haven’t won it all yet. Drafting and retaining on the roster is a huge factor in continued success.

2019 Oliver & Knox (2/8). 

2020 Epenesa, Davis, Bass, Jackson (4/7). 

2021 Rousseau, Basham, Brown, Doyle, Hamlin (5/8).

2022 Elam, Cook, Bernard, Shakir, Benford, Spector (6/8). 
17/31 draft picks remain on the team.

2019 KC (1/6)

2020 KC (5/6)

2021 KC (6/6)

2022 KC (10/10)

Total 22/28

KC has been more efficient at drafting especially considering their disastrous 2019 draft class. It’s no wonder why they have stayed at the top of the AFC and have hosted the AFC Championship 5 consecutive seasons.

In order for the Bills to catch-up they must hit on a higher % of their draft class.

I’m fairly confident that those extra day 3 picks sitting on the bench aren’t the main reason why the Chiefs are better.

Edited by gobills404
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

The 1985 draft is the best draft all time for the Bills, not only Bruce Smith but Andre Reed in the 4th round. Frank Reich was the 3rd round pick, they had a second pick in the first round which was Derrick Burroughs who was a good CB but had his career cut short by injury. They had 2 others that played in over 100 games: WR Chris Burkett (131 games, 4,352 receiving yards) and long snapper Dale Hellestrae, who played in 205 games. Ron Pitts was also in that draft (66 games) and Hal Garner, who was good but then had a performance-enhancing drug suspension (67 games). 

• Like (+1) 3

Subpar drafts are the main reasons why we haven’t won it all yet. Drafting and retaining on the roster is a huge factor in continued success.

2019 KC (1/6)

2020 KC (5/6)

2021 KC (6/6)

2022 KC (10/10)

Total 22/28

KC has been more efficient at drafting especially considering their disastrous 2019 draft class. It’s no wonder why they have stayed at the top of the AFC and have hosted the AFC Championship 5 consecutive seasons.

In order for the Bills to catch-up they must hit on a higher % of their draft class.

This is misleading, if you look at Bills draft picks that are still playing in the league:

2019: 7-8 (Vosean Joseph not playing, Ford, Singletary, J. Johnson, D. Johnson, Sweeney on other teams)

2020: 6-7 (Fromm out, Moss, Hodgins on other teams)

2021: 7-8 (Stevenson out, WIldgoose, Anderson on other teams)

2022: 7-8 (Tenuta on GB, Araiza out)

That's 27-31. And the 2018 class 7-8 still playing, Teller, Edmunds and McCloud on other teams, Proehl out. 

To pile on, 2017 class all 6 on rosters, 3 on Bills, Zay Jones, Peterman and Vallejo on other teams. 

Total still in league: 40-45 or 89%. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, gobills404 said:

I’m fairly confident that those extra day 3 picks sitting on the bench aren’t the main reason why the Chiefs are better.

Notice he didn't use the 2018 draft, Beane’s 1st draft in Buffalo. I mean why would he include all of Beane’s drafts years except his 1st one. Hint - probably because it doesn't fit his narrative. KC had a very poor draft that year while Buffalo had a very good one.

• Like (+1) 1

First two picks were absolute home runs. Rest of the draft was basically a throw away. I think there is a very good chance only 3 draft picks make the team this year. And that 2 ever have a real impact in the NFL. 

I'm not a big fan of McBeane the drafter. Way too much emphasis on special teams and process guys with premium draft picks. But absolutely love what he did with the first two picks this year. 

2019 KC (1/6)

2020 KC (5/6)

2021 KC (6/6)

2022 KC (10/10)

Total 22/28

Just look at last year. KC had meaningful impact in the playoffs from:

2022 Draft picks (4 rookies starting and multiple others with decent roles, only 1 did not play)

McDuffie started all 3 playoff games 

Karlaftis started all 3 playoff games 

Watson started all 3 playoff games 

Pacheco started all 3 playoff games 

Moore PT in playoffs including a TD

Cook PT in playoffs 

Chenal PT in playoffs

Williams PT in playoffs

Johnson PT in playoffs on ST

2021 Draft Picks (4 of these rookies started in 2022 playoffs, 2 did not play)

Bolton started all 3 playoff games 

Humphrey started all 3 playoff games 

Gray started all 3 playoff games 

Smith started all 3 playoff games 

In comparison the Bills:

2022 Draft Picks (0 Rookies starting and 3 with PT, 5 did not play)

Bills had zero rookies from 2022 starting both playoff games. Only 3 of the Bills 8 picks played (Bernard ST snaps in one games if you want to count that). Elam played 60 of D snaps which was highest. Cook and Shakir were in the 30's. 

2021 Draft Picks (2 of these rookies start both games and 1 with PT, 5 did not)

Rousseau and Brown started with Basham getting PT. 

So there you have it. KC has 8 players from the 2021 and 2022 drafts starting in the playoffs for a Super Bowl winning team. With others playing roles. Only 3 players from these drafts did not play. The Bills are the opposite. They had only two starters and only 6 even getting snaps. They had 10 not playing. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Far too soon to say with confidence but my gut tells me that Kincaid will be elite within a year or two tops, Torrence will be good, and Williams could become a Milano-level LB but could also never break beyond backup status (highish ceiling, lowish floor).

That's optimistic guesswork.

Edited by Nephilim17

3 hours ago, Process said:

First two picks were absolute home runs. Rest of the draft was basically a throw away. I think there is a very good chance only 3 draft picks make the team this year. And that 2 ever have a real impact in the NFL. 

I'm not a big fan of McBeane the drafter. Way too much emphasis on special teams and process guys with premium draft picks. But absolutely love what he did with the first two picks this year. 

Although I think Dorian Williams will be a nice player that's kind of my feeling on the draft. If they got Allen an elite starting guard and TE they did great getting one other starter/role player with the back 4 picks that's a bonus. I do like what I have seen from Dorian Williams and I think Shorter can be a ST player who maybe develops some receiving upside. I don't know if the back two picks will develop but they certainly add some developmental players to the roster.

4 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

This is misleading, if you look at Bills draft picks that are still playing in the league:

2019: 7-8 (Vosean Joseph not playing, Ford, Singletary, J. Johnson, D. Johnson, Sweeney on other teams)

2020: 6-7 (Fromm out, Moss, Hodgins on other teams)

2021: 7-8 (Stevenson out, WIldgoose, Anderson on other teams)

2022: 7-8 (Tenuta on GB, Araiza out)

That's 27-31. And the 2018 class 7-8 still playing, Teller, Edmunds and McCloud on other teams, Proehl out. 

To pile on, 2017 class all 6 on rosters, 3 on Bills, Zay Jones, Peterman and Vallejo on other teams. 

Total still in league: 40-45 or 89%. 

I’m always bewildered when posters recycle this argument. It has to be the most superficial approach to assessing drafts. 

2 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but what a luxury to have a TE pairing of Knox and Kincaid.  Think about some of the truly putrid TE tandems we rolled out there during the drought years.  2009 was Shawn Nelson, Stupar, Schouman and Klopfenstein. Yikes.

It has to be the most overlooked position in the history of Buffalo Bills football. I know some with throw out some names going back to the beginning, but we now have not one but TWO guys who will be in the Bills all-time upper echelon (IMO). I know the game has changed, but it’s the first time we can really feel good about the position. 

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Kincaid will be a starter. It might be in a jobshare with a more traditional slot receiver as a rookie but by year 2 he is going to start. 

I take the point on Williams and I am not sold that he will ever be a true option at MLB and so you have drafted a guy who plays the same position as one of your best starters in Milano. I do wonder if the answer is eventually that Milano plays the MIKE but that is a projection and remains to be seen. I don't think it worse than Bernard though. Williams can play. He can be a good NFL player. Bernard was a reach and he isn't up to it IMO.

I guess you’re in the camp of thinking the worst and being pleasantly surprised. That’s fine. I can’t see how your diminishing Kincaid is justified not seeing him on the field with Josh. With our receivers getting plenty of attention (Diggs,Davis) and Cook ready to pop, I see Kincaid and his great hands and catch radius being a perfect security blanket and 1st down machine in this  offense. Torrence will be better than Bates after getting acclimated to the speed of the NFL. I especially like him in the run game. Dorian, is a heat seeking missile and is better right now than anyone not named Milano as a MLB. He might not start but he will make a lot of tackles. Sean will definitely find a way to get him on the field. I’m not saying Dorian will be Edmunds, but he’ll be productive. All in all, I’m optimistic about these three.

12 hours ago, ngbills said:

Just look at last year. KC had meaningful impact in the playoffs from:

2022 Draft picks (4 rookies starting and multiple others with decent roles, only 1 did not play)

McDuffie started all 3 playoff games 

Karlaftis started all 3 playoff games 

Watson started all 3 playoff games 

Pacheco started all 3 playoff games 

Moore PT in playoffs including a TD

Cook PT in playoffs 

Chenal PT in playoffs

Williams PT in playoffs

Johnson PT in playoffs on ST

2021 Draft Picks (4 of these rookies started in 2022 playoffs, 2 did not play)

Bolton started all 3 playoff games 

Humphrey started all 3 playoff games 

Gray started all 3 playoff games 

Smith started all 3 playoff games 

In comparison the Bills:

2022 Draft Picks (0 Rookies starting and 3 with PT, 5 did not play)

Bills had zero rookies from 2022 starting both playoff games. Only 3 of the Bills 8 picks played (Bernard ST snaps in one games if you want to count that). Elam played 60 of D snaps which was highest. Cook and Shakir were in the 30's. 

2021 Draft Picks (2 of these rookies start both games and 1 with PT, 5 did not)

Rousseau and Brown started with Basham getting PT. 

So there you have it. KC has 8 players from the 2021 and 2022 drafts starting in the playoffs for a Super Bowl winning team. With others playing roles. Only 3 players from these drafts did not play. The Bills are the opposite. They had only two starters and only 6 even getting snaps. They had 10 not playing. 

Well, when you whiff as much as the Chiefs did the previous three draft classes (2018-2020) you have to play them.  Basham over Humphrey though will always sting.

4 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

I guess you’re in the camp of thinking the worst and being pleasantly surprised. That’s fine. I can’t see how your diminishing Kincaid is justified not seeing him on the field with Josh. With our receivers getting plenty of attention (Diggs,Davis) and Cook ready to pop, I see Kincaid and his great hands and catch radius being a perfect security blanket and 1st down machine in this  offense. Torrence will be better than Bates after getting acclimated to the speed of the NFL. I especially like him in the run game. Dorian, is a heat seeking missile and is better right now than anyone not named Milano as a MLB. He might not start but he will make a lot of tackles. Sean will definitely find a way to get him on the field. I’m not saying Dorian will be Edmunds, but he’ll be productive. All in all, I’m optimistic about these three.

Eh? How am I thinking the worst?

On 8/15/2023 at 2:48 PM, Dr.Sack said:

2019 KC (1/6)

2020 KC (5/6)

2021 KC (6/6)

2022 KC (10/10)

Total 22/28

Let's not pretend that number of guys still on the team is a good way to judge draft classes. It isn't.

Is a class with one guy remaining on your team out of seven picks but that guy is a superstar better than a class with six guys remaining on your team out of seven picks with two borderline starters two STs guys and one second teamer and one third teamer?

No, the idea's outright ridiculous.

In any case, under Beane the Bills have drafted well. Not spectacularly, but solidly.

And this year so far looks really good, although it's too early to say, as it generally is for the first three years or so when in question.

• Dislike 1

52 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Let's not pretend that number of guys still on the team is a good way to judge draft classes. It isn't.

Is a class with one guy remaining on your team out of seven picks but that guy is a superstar better than a class with six guys remaining on your team out of seven picks with two borderline starters two STs guys and one second teamer and one third teamer?

No, the idea's outright ridiculous.

In any case, under Beane the Bills have drafted well. Not spectacularly, but solidly.

And this year so far looks really good, although it's too early to say, as it generally is for the first three years or so when in question.

But there is no doubt that in 2021 and 2022 the Chiefs have majorly outdrafted us. Two years ago they were the team with some stars ageing and questions about cap room. The reload has, by any measure, been super impressive. Doesn't mean the Bills drafting has been awful in that period... thought 2022 doesn't look great. Just means they have been excellent.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.