Spencer Brown Injury Concern

vtnatefootball11

53 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Not a great scenario here. Bills management was hoping for a healthy and improved Brown. That was possible but the other scenario of him getting injuried again or playing mediocre was also in play. 

Right now, the back up plan seems pretty thin. There is time to come up with another game plan. Not sure what that is? This isn't ideal as the Bills oline needs to be solid.

I hope Brown can still contribute or someone steps up. 

All teams backup plans are pretty thin, that’s why all those guys are backups, I’m with you on Brown contributing or someone else taking advantage of this opportunity in their career, 🤞

• Thank you (+1) 1

This frustrates me with Brandon Beane.

You basically went all in with a guy who has a history of back pain, combined with his inconsistent play. (To put it nicely)

Maybe I’m wrong and brown recovers fast and has a breakout year, but it’s definitely not off to a good start with this injury popping up and his apparent poor start at camp.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Brown was also later seen riding his e-bike or scooter to the dining hall - though I suppose a guy with a bad back can manage that

The Bills have Brandon Shell on the roster.  Shell has started 72 games at RT in the NFL

Agree on Quessenbery, didn't like what I saw in his 3 starts last year, but, he has started 26 career games, most I believe at RT

Both of these guys would be a better alternative to moving a strictly-guard OLman to RT or (for goodness sake) trying to pull Lee Smith, a TE and 6th lineman, out of retirement for a primary OL role (I know that's not your suggestion but I read it right here)

Some sort of electric device - golf scooter I think actually.

What we were all hoping for here was to not only see him not be hurt, but to rise up and TAKE the starting role. Its early, but reports have been he has not played well. While that part may or not be totally true, we def have heard nothing to make us think hes gone in, improved his play and put him in position where he cant be taken off the field.  Winning and 'not losing' it arent the same thing, and we needed the first.

Its early in camp and id rather not wait till week 2 to figure out what were going to do in emergency. Its time to start turning over rocks, which we can do while still hoping for the best.

The Lee Smith idea wasnt to offer him starting RT job lol but I think for starters we better make sure we have a block first TE on the roster to help out whoever is starting at RT.... not sure if we have that in Gilliam or Morris.

• Like (+1) 1

I would love to know what plan B is here.  I agree with a lot of the posters on here that we were dumb to not bring in better competition.  Brown hasn't shown those elite flashes in two seasons now.  I'm not saying that it's all doom and gloom because of one position, but RT is a big one for Josh.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BillsShredder83 said:

The Lee Smith idea wasnt to offer him starting RT job lol but I think for starters we better make sure we have a block first TE on the roster to help out whoever is starting at RT.... not sure if we have that in Gilliam or Morris.

Knox has become an excellent in line blocking TE.  Not Lee Smith grade, but solid.  The Bills have also used an extra OL as a TE.  Bobby Hart actually did well at this role last season!

The problem with your "start turning over rocks" notion, is that there aren't a lot of players hiding under them right now.  Most are on rosters.  There will be players available after 53 man roster cutdown, but in contrast to prior years this won't take place until just before the season - there will not be intermediate cutdowns.

I'm sure Beane and his team are keeping their eyes pealed around the league to see if they can sniff out training camp battles that could leave a better RT than Brandon Shell in the cutout bin.

• Agree 2

Ironically, Brown was looking really good yesterday after a piss poor display the day before. I'll wait and see on the injury thing because I saw the comment as well about him flying by on a scooter bike right after (The team wouldn't let him do that if he was seriously injured) the alleged injury occurred. I also heard no discussion of it today on Bills radio/stream outlets from the "in-house" guys like Chris Brown, Sal, etc. although maybe I missed it. Crossing fingers. I think Shell, if need be, can man the RT spot and be serviceable.

16 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

This frustrates me with Brandon Beane.

You basically went all in with a guy who has a history of back pain, combined with his inconsistent play. (To put it nicely)

Maybe I’m wrong and brown recovers fast and has a breakout year, but it’s definitely not off to a good start with this injury popping up and his apparent poor start at camp.

1. You're not wrong

2. He's not recovering 

3. And he's not having a breakout year.

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

3/4 of Bill fans here initially said he sucked yet 3/4 of respondents here are upset he got hurt.  Go figure

I think plenty are in the camp of, although the guy has sucked Beane has repeatedly gone to bat for the guy, they must be seeing something were not.

Prior to reports 2 days in a row (Astro said something about watching him get up gingerly, the way an old man does, off the field.  Now hes seen unable to get his helmet) we at least had a sense of hope... if this is how hes moving after 3 days of padded practice, how is he going to look by week 10

• Thank you (+1) 1

Concerning that a 6 foot 8 guy is already having some back issues. BUT it is August 4th and we don't really know much about it. Could simply be spasms from heat/dehydration. Until we get more information I can't get too worked up about it. I am curious as to how Brown has been doing in camp thus far? How has Snell and Queese done behind him? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

I think that with the addition of Kincaid, we'll see more of Knox staying in to block/chip/safety valve. They did it last you too, as the line struggled, but didn't have another TE to effectively work the route tree. 

I think we line up more in 12 personnel, but for this reason instead of both TEs going out on a route. 

With 12 personnel they still use 5 linemen. TE doesn’t take the place of an OT. 

3 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

Concerning that a 6 foot 8 guy is already having some back issues. BUT it is August 4th and we don't really know much about it. Could simply be spasms from heat/dehydration. Until we get more information I can't get too worked up about it. I am curious as to how Brown has been doing in camp thus far? How has Snell and Queese done behind him? 

With his injury history, it's hard for me that this isn't starting to become a pattern

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, SoMAn said:

With 12 personnel they still use 5 linemen. TE doesn’t take the place of an OT. 

Yes but they may not need to send Knox on a route as often considering Kincaid has shown such an ability to get separation.  Or Knox can release later after chipping.  TE doesnt take the place of OT but TE blocking is an option that gets used if you dont trust your OT.

13 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It ain't Texas where it's been 105 since may. It's 75 degrees in Buffalo right now.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.