Spencer Brown Injury Concern

vtnatefootball11

16 hours ago, Simon said:

A properly made mai tai has more rums than mixer :beer:

I've had 4 back surgeries and every one of them has been an improvement and bought me several more years of full activity, including football.

I have no idea what kind of condition Spencer Brown's back is in but it's not likely relevant because I don't think he can play OTackle in this league anyways and nobody seems to have the wherewithal to kick him inside and see if a 6'8" Guard is actually a problem for Allen or not. 🤷‍♂️

My understanding that taller guards have a harder time on the inside because DT's can get under their pads easier and get leveraged out.

I'm with you that I'm not sure if Brown has the talent to play on the outside as a starter.  He could probably be a middle level back up for a few years.

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Are you choosing to have surgery?  My Spine Doctor told me I don't have to have it but it would always been an issue with me.  I can control the pain with epidurals every year but won't eliminate the pain.

I chose to have surgery because I didn't want to deal with the chronic pain.  I didn't want to adjust my active lifestyle.

I do have to warm up and stretch a lot more before a workout.  If I don't, it will flare up easily.

I'm going on roughly 18 months since my surgery.  Only 1 bad flare up that listed about 4-5 days....I got that digging and removing a large shrub in my yard.

But outside of that, I will get flare ups but they go away after a few minutes.  Others might last a little longer but those are very few.  It feels weird sometimes because it feels literally like a muscle cramp but it's not the muscle.

My pain is manageable. I'm still able to work out with light weights and run on the treadmill. 

What works for me is daily exercise, proper sleep, keeping my weight down, going to chiropractor once a month, and prayer. 

Once in a while I'll have to take ibuprofen. However, everyday there is some amount of pain. Usually around a 2 or 3 on a scale of 10. 

I'm 59 so my body has wear and tear. At some point, I will be likely need more evasion solutions. I'm putting off the knife for as long as I can. 

Currently, the pain level and it's negative ramifications don't outweigh the surgical risks. 

Thanks for listening.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

So... Seems like Spencer Brown is quietly having a good camp.  

If he makes the jump to just an average RT, the prospects for this OL drastically change.  

He already mostly kills it as a run blocker, he just needs to clean up his technique in pass pro and get out of his stance on time.

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

My pain is manageable. I'm still able to work out with light weights and run on the treadmill. 

What works for me is daily exercise, proper sleep, keeping my weight down, going to chiropractor once a month, and prayer. 

Once in a while I'll have to take ibuprofen. However, everyday there is some amount of pain. Usually around a 2 or 3 on a scale of 10. 

I'm 59 so my body has wear and tear. At some point, I will be likely need more evasion solutions. I'm putting off the knife for as long as I can. 

Currently, the pain level and it's negative ramifications don't outweigh the surgical risks. 

Thanks for listening.

Good.  People who have never experienced this, don't know how bad it can get.  My pain is in my right upper glute.

The same with me as well...working out getting the blood flowing helps a lot.  Being idle and sedentary is when I feel the tightness.  A simple walk for about 20 minutes or so can calm it down if I have a flare up.  

I see a chiropractor here and there.  It helps when I'm in need to some relief.

You will get some nerve damage after surgery.  They're doing a lot of scrapping to get that disc off the nerve so if you can hold off, I would do it.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think we can get this thread up to at least twenty pages especially if we ignore the reality of Browns actual camp performance, let’s go guys !!!

• Haha (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Thanks for listening.

I’ve got a partially torn rotator cuff that has caused me to take 12 months or more off from tennis 3 times in my adult life. It eventually would magically heal up and I could play again. I’m just a few years older than you, and I’ve always put off the surgery. This time it’s been well over 2 years, and it’s just not getting any closer to getting back on the courts. The only thing I can’t do is serve or hit overheads. I think it’s time to decide if I go under the knife, or just resign myself to giving up something I loved for decades that also helped to keep me fit. 

Getting old sucks. 

Injuries with feet or backs always scare me. I’m not worked up over every little setback with Brown, but there is a dark cloud always hanging over him until enough time passes that I consider it a thing of the past. Hopefully in that time we find out he can actually be a quality RT in the NFL. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm pretty sure I had the same type of back surgery as Brown....it's the most common in athletes and in general.  I seriously doubt he had a fusion because he wouldn't have played last year.  

I've dealt with post surgery issues along with several others I know....all the same issues.  Flare ups can last 30 seconds or a few days....all depends how agitated the nerve is and how much swelling.  And when the it hits, it can be bad...literally can't move.  But then it goes away and you're fine. 

The reason you have back surgery is to get rid of the chronic pain.  It's not repairing a ligament or anything like that, the surgeon just shaves the disc that's pressing against the spinal nerve.  Once the nerve isn't pressed, you feel no pain.  So no, it's not like shoulder surgery like Shanahan Horseheads is trying to state.
I would not be able to train or lift for several months after shoulder surgery.  I've seen people go through that...that takes awhile to heal because the ligament needs time.

7 days after my back surgery, I was jogging.  After one month, I was back at the gym. 

Easy there BJ Penn.  I never said labrum or knee surgeries were the same thing as a back surgery.  I very clearly said that the patient will deal with post surgical problems like they do with other injuries.  Obviously the severity and type of injury makes all the difference.  Given that this has been a chronic issue for Brown, I said expect him to experience issues for the foreseeable future. Then you go onto say that you have post surgical issues from the exact same surgery that can knock you out for days?  

Thats literally what I said but i think the play here was to let everyone know that you’re a seasoned grappler😂

Edited by Shanahan's Horseshoe

58 minutes ago, Shanahan's Horseshoe said:

Easy there BJ Penn.  I never said labrum or knee surgeries were the same thing as a back surgery.  I very clearly said that the patient will deal with post surgical problems like they do with other injuries.  Obviously the severity and type of injury makes all the difference.  Given that this has been a chronic issue for Brown, I said expect him to experience issues for the foreseeable future. Then you go onto say that you have post surgical issues from the exact same surgery that can knock you out for days?  

Thats literally what I said but i think the play here was to let everyone know that you’re a seasoned grappler😂

Worthless Shoulder Joe,

You specifically said it's a fact that he's definitely playing through and is in chronic pain.  That's what your argument is.  

The only reason he's out there because "its his last shot" and that's why he's playing through the pain.  Stated it's a "fact" lol.

Two people have told you in this thread who have had back surgery and not in chronic pain and actually improved.  But you know more about back surgery than we do.

I clearly stated I've only had had one bad flare up that put me out for a few days.  Most of them are just short and not a big deal.  

Since Brown was on the field the next day, it sounds like it was just a minor flare up.  But you're adamant it wasn't and that he's still in pain today even though you have no idea what the issue was.  

You don't even know what you "literally" said.

I've been on this board awhile and many people already know my hobby.

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

So... Seems like Spencer Brown is quietly having a good camp.  

If he makes the jump to just an average RT, the prospects for this OL drastically change.  

legit question, zero sarcsasm -seriously. Where have you seen this? Because Ive seen nothing but the opposite. Grasping at anything thats resembles hope for competency at this point

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, TheBeaneBandit said:

I'm pretty excited about the run blocking potential of a Torrance/Brown right side. Brown becomes consistent in pass pro=hell yeah!

Especially w/ the addition of Harris (who is definitely better than Singletary), and Cook coming into his 2nd season after picking up steam at the end of his 1st.

I think our offense is going to look a lot different this year. It was great last season, but we haven't been able to run consistently aside from JA.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, teef said:

does anyone want to hear about my back pain?  no?  ok...

I have a pain, it’s just below my back, I tell my wife about it, but she doesn’t want to know…, 😁👍

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

So, I’ve recently moved my home base to Maryland, and decided to irritate some Ravens fans, I bought and installed on my car a Bills license plate holder, a charging Buffalo magnet (wife calls it a flying Buffalo), and four Bills valve caps 

CCE84824-AAB1-4699-955D-DBAAE54B4BAB.thumb.jpeg.61be273cac3d87740301973e14e453b5.jpeg

I feel that this post is totally relevant to this thread, just sayin,  😁

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

10 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

legit question, zero sarcsasm -seriously. Where have you seen this? Because Ive seen nothing but the opposite. Grasping at anything thats resembles hope for competency at this point

Here, for one.

Matt Parrino  (7:44)  "Spencer Brown was the best offensive lineman on the field today. And I thought he kind of set the tone for the offense, from a physical perspective. By the time they got halfway through practice, I think Tyrel Dodson was absolutely sick of him, 'cause the two of them got in a little skirmish and ripped each others helmets off. ...

Ryan Talbot  (8:26)  "But Spencer Brown, specifically. He is another player that we get a lot of questions about in the subtext. Can he hold up and are the Bills going to be OK with him? He has been solid throughout training camp. He had one down day thus far. Spencer Brown is a mauler, he is a large large tackle and he's had some ups and downs ... but this year he's come in focused, looks ready to play, and that right side could have two big big guys on it, depending on how that guard battle turns out.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Here, for one.

Matt Parrino  (7:44)  "Spencer Brown was the best offensive lineman on the field today. And I thought he kind of set the tone for the offense, from a physical perspective. By the time they got halfway through practice, I think Tyrel Dodson was absolutely sick of him, 'cause the two of them got in a little skirmish and ripped each others helmets off. ...

Ryan Talbot  (8:26)  "But Spencer Brown, specifically. He is another player that we get a lot of questions about in the subtext. Can he hold up and are the Bills going to be OK with him? He has been solid throughout training camp. He had one down day thus far. Spencer Brown is a mauler, he is a large large tackle and he's had some ups and downs ... but this year he's come in focused, looks ready to play, and that right side could have two big big guys on it, depending on how that guard battle turns out.

I pray this is our reality since it would do so much for our offence.

• Agree 1

Here's another, from about four or five days ago:

Greg Tompsett  (1:02)  "Up until that moment [when the reports about his stiff back that day] we had had really positive updates on Spencer Brown. AJ Cybulski, who's doing great work over at Buffalo Rumblings now, was at camp and talking about back to back really good reps, where Spencer Brown was winning against Gregory Rousseau and Leonard Floyd, two very good defensive ends. We had seen really good movement while I was there with Erik and the rest of the guys, we were talking about how fluid his footwork looked, how explosive he looked, all the one-on-one time he was getting with Aaron Kromer, so I had legitimately written up notes for tonight's show about positives and things I was pleased about with Spencer Brown."

(5:04)  "Right now (with the last report being Marino's injury tweet early in the week), I'm gonna hope for the best. Everything prior to that post-practice tweet from Joe Marino had been very positive. Everyone that I had talked to, all the people that I had talked to, Chris Trapasso, Joe Marino himself, Pat Moran, lots of different people that we knew, all talking about how well Spencer Brown was moving and encouragement about what that could end up meaning."

He also said he thought Shell was passable, OK, not good, but better than Q or the other options.

But he's been playing since that injury.

5 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Here's another, from about four or five days ago:

Greg Tompsett  (1:02)  "Up until that moment [when the reports about his stiff back that day] we had had really positive updates on Spencer Brown. AJ Cybulski, who's doing great work over at Buffalo Rumblings now, was at camp and talking about back to back really good reps, where Spencer Brown was winning against Gregory Rousseau and Leonard Floyd, two very good defensive ends. We had seen really good movement while I was there with Erik and the rest of the guys, we were talking about how fluid his footwork looked, how explosive he looked, all the one-on-one time he was getting with Aaron Kromer, so I had legitimately written up notes for tonight's show about positives and things I was pleased about with Spencer Brown."

(5:04)  "Right now (with the last report being Marino's injury tweet early in the week), I'm gonna hope for the best. Everything prior to that post-practice tweet from Joe Marino had been very positive. Everyone that I had talked to, all the people that I had talked to, Chris Trapasso, Joe Marino himself, Pat Moran, lots of different people that we knew, all talking about how well Spencer Brown was moving and encouragement about what that could end up meaning."

He also said he thought Shell was passable, OK, not good, but better than Q or the other options.

But he's been playing since that injury.

Thank you for this

16 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Locked on Bills talked about it today as an example

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.