What Would Happen if the Bills Cut Damar Hamlin? (Dan Patrick)

wppete

I think its a solid possibility.   If he decides to play football then he ends up on the practice squad here or another place.  If he decides to stop playing I have no doubt the Bills give him a community outreach position as part of the front office.   No matter what happens, I dont think the Bills will hang him out to dry.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 9

Right now there are 3 safeties ahead of him. Poyer, Hyde, Rapp are locks I believe. Hamlin would be the fourth guy and I personally don't see anyone beating him out skillwise as long as his health and mental well being are back in line 

He's still a young guy, on a rookie deal who I felt got better as the season went along.

This whole conversation from Patrick is meant to get attention. This is a Cowherd level topic. Frankly I kinda find it classless to speculate on it and even say "you gotta keep him even if he doesn't earn it". 

• Like (+1) 10
  • Agree 4

It’s an attention grab topic at this point, one way or another I believe the Bills FO will be thoughtful in their dealings on this possibility. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1

17 minutes ago, wppete said:

Good discussion here with Dan Patrick. What do you guys think? I think there is a good chance he doesn’t make the 53 and gets cut. 

I would not really care either way but I don’t agree there’s a “good chance” he doesn’t make the team. 

• Agree 1

17 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Who else is there at his position to replace him? I agree that he's not a great football player and isn't a long term answer to any questions but in terms of a backup safety who else are they going to roll with?

Taylor Rapp. That said with if Damar is let go, I'm not sure if he's PS eligible but I could see us keeping him there unless he wants to move on from football yet doubt that since he participated in camp now. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Right now there are 3 safeties ahead of him. Poyer, Hyde, Rapp are locks I believe. Hamlin would be the fourth guy and I personally don't see anyone beating him out skillwise as long as his health and mental well being are back in line 

Bills would have kept Dean Marlowe but they were very cap strapped so they let him go and brought him back when they had a need.

I think he is competing again Dean Marlowe who is a better special teams player.

They can put Hamlin on PS in 2023 so he can get his insurance if necessary and other teams (i.e. Giants) can choose to pick him up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It would be a media firestorm. 

Best case scenario if Damar is in danger of being cut would be to stash him on IR.

Definitely would NOT be a media "firestorm."  LOL

It would make the news, only b/c of his health scare...then be forgotten about 3 minutes later.

The Bills don't owe him a career.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 6

Nothing would happen outside of a couple days of news cycles, but if his play is close to what it was last year, no chance he gets cut. He played very well against the run, and was an extremely physical presence. While he's not a top 20 safety or anything at this stage of his career, he's played 2 seasons so far and is just 25. He could very well have a higher ceiling.

If he's fallen off due to his injury, then maybe they find a way to IR him and he can come back and try again next year.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Bills would have kept Dean Marlowe but they were very cap strapped so they let him go and brought him back when they had a need.

I think he is competing again Dean Marlowe who is a better special teams player.

They can put Hamlin on PS in 2023 so he can get his insurance if necessary and other teams (i.e. Giants) can choose to pick him up.

If the Bills had wanted to keep Marlowe last year that bad they would have found a way. His contract wasn't exactly a record setter. They chose to go with the younger guy that had more upside, which is understandable when both your starters at the position are over 30. Incidentally, I believe they would be able to place Marlowe on the PS and would likely have an easier time slipping him onto it than Hamlin.

Make no mistake however, if Hamlin is cut he will end up just fine. There is almost zero doubt in my mind he ends up as a depth player somewhere.And that is on talent, not pity. As a matter of fact the least shocking development in the world would be him ending up with the Steelers.

That said, Marlowe is on guy on the downside of his career that contributes on ST, which new rules have made that less important. He will have to beat Hamlin out at S and I just don't see that happening.

46 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It would be a media firestorm. 

Best case scenario if Damar is in danger of being cut would be to stash him on IR.

I dunno about THAT.  I’m sure there would be several click-baity headlines around the cut, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.