Training Camp 8/1 9:45

Beck Water

1 minute ago, wppete said:

Damn! I’ve never thought about formations with Dalton and Dawson in the backfield. This would be nuts. how do you defend something like this?

Dalton

Dawson

Josh

Diggs

Harty

Davis

you cover them, Not sure why this would be nuts. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

40 minutes ago, HansLanda said:

I know it's been maybe even slightly belabored, but what if Torrence is just so nasty and strong it is going to be his job and Bates is backup #1 for any of the spots across the oline? 

I think this is best case scenario yeh

4 minutes ago, wppete said:

Damn! I’ve never thought about formations with Dalton and Dawson in the backfield. This would be nuts. how do you defend something like this?

Dalton

Dawson

Josh

Diggs

Harty

Davis

sounds like more designed Allen  runs out of that formation too. Hopefully the Allen runs are used in frequently and at the right times.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, wppete said:

And with what Defensive formations? Do you bring in LBs or Nickle DBs. Defensive coordinators will be scratching their heads. 

Teams line up WRs and TEs in backfield a lot. You think this would confuse a defense? 

I'm hoping that one or more of the guys who cover practice will spell out the personnel in the OL that are getting pwn'd.

Apparently Dawkins, McGovern, and Morse are in there, and Brown.  Is it Bates, Torrence, or Edwards at RG?  Is this the lineup that's consistently getting owned?

Just now, nucci said:

Teams line up WRs and TEs in backfield a lot. You think this would confuse a defense? 

It has nothing to do with confusing the defense.

I believe the pete was saying that it would put stress on the defense and create advantageous matchups for the offense.

Typically, a player lined up in the backfield will be covered by a linebacker. Having both Kincaid and Knox covered by linebackers seems like an advantage for the Bills offense. Then add in, say, Stefon Diggs in the slot, and you're looking at a host of possible mismatches that Allen can exploit in the passing game.

• Like (+1) 6

This is training camp.

Some days the offense looks really good and we worry about the defense.

Other days the defense looks really good and we worry about the offense.

When things start to become a trend -- like if we start hearing that the offensive line struggles multiple days in a row or the corners can't cover anyone -- THEN it can become a concern.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 3

For all the Offensive line talk today its understandable this early into padded practices. Usually defenses can install their base packages a lot quicker than the offenses can. 

This means that most likely the defense is starting to run more exotic looks/blitzes earlier and the Bills offense hasn't gotten that far along. I wouldn't worry too much about this right now. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Latavius Murray is training camp sacrificial lamb. Brought in to be the punching bag by everyone else that will make the roster.

of course, with the Hines injury, he could have an opening to make the roster may be.

LOL.... the hit was near the sideline and Murray is a beast 

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I believe the pete was saying that it would put stress on the defense and create advantageous matchups for the offense.

Typically, a player lined up in the backfield will be covered by a linebacker. Having both Kincaid and Knox covered by linebackers seems like an advantage for the Bills offense. Then add in, say, Stefon Diggs in the slot, and you're looking at a host of possible mismatches that Allen can exploit in the passing game.

ok but guessing defense would remove LBs and replace with DBs with only Allen being able to run the ball. 6 DB, 1 LB for Allen and you're covered. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

So now I'm confused, did Hamlin get two picks or one, and if one, was it thrown by Barkley or Kyle Allen?

Another vote that Barkley threw it. Or at least one.

This has been something I've noticed this camp a lot. Reporters naming personal groups then a different reporter has different names in the same group. Lots of contradiction out there. 

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Yes and especially when your TEs are receiving threats and hard to cover like Dalton. 

The only thing that could console me for drafting Boogie Basham with Creed Humphrey on the board, would be to see Basham succeed.

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Another vote that Barkley threw it. Or at least one.

This has been something I've noticed this camp a lot. Reporters naming personal groups then a different reporter has different names in the same group. Lots of contradiction out there. 

It's why I value reading blow-by-blow accounts like Astro's.  He usually clarifies which group is in when.

Edited by Beck Water

19 hours ago, Logic said:

This is training camp.

Some days the offense looks really good and we worry about the defense.

Other days the defense looks really good and we worry about the offense.

When things start to become a trend -- like if we start hearing that the offensive line struggles multiple days in a row or the corners can't cover anyone -- THEN it can become a concern.

This right here, ^^^

the knee jerk “ concern “  “ worry “ “ we are doomed “ about the O-line today after the O -line dominating yesterday…, come on folks, keep your thinker engaged…,  this is SOP every TC every year,  the O & D lines go back and forth countering each other  from practice to practice, it is neither new or concerning,

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, wppete said:

Dalton

Dawson

Josh

Diggs

Harty

Davis

You ignore the threat of a run, play the same defense you would for 5 wide, and run right around Spencer Brown to blow this up before any of these routes can develop.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HansLanda said:

I know it's been maybe even slightly belabored, but what if Torrence is just so nasty and strong it is going to be his job and Bates is backup #1 for any of the spots across the oline? 

That's a good thing.  It means the line has been upgraded, probably at two spots.  (I think it is a given that McGovern is an upgrade.)  I have no problem with Bates backing up Morse.  The question is whether Bates can be a starting quality center when Morse hangs it up.

1 minute ago, Nelius said:

Man, rough camp for Shakir. Almost every day it seems now. 

I'm hoping it's a thing where they're noting the drops more than the routine catches, but Yeah.

Guy needs to get hooked up with Dawson Knox eye coordination guy or something.

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The only thing that could console me for drafting Boogie Basham with Creed Humphrey on the board, would be to see Basham succeed.

It's why I value reading blow-by-blow accounts like Astro's.  He usually clarifies which group is in when.

Astro does a good job. But there's been so much confusion during the live tweets that sometimes reading his report later on makes me think he (or someone else) is watching an entirely different practice...lol.

I know some of it has to do with where you are and what you're seeing at the time from that vantage point because often there's a lot going on at once.

1 minute ago, BigAl2526 said:

That's a good thing.  It means the line has been upgraded, probably at two spots.  (I think it is a given that McGovern is an upgrade.)  I have no problem with Bates backing up Morse.  The question is whether Bates can be a starting quality center when Morse hangs it up.

Right right...We'll cross the Morse bridge hopefully next year. At this point having Bates have the rotational ability makes the most sense (while he stays healthy from the sidelines knowing OL guys are going to get dinged up). Will be interesting if Shell is the defacto pressure/insurance on Brown at RT only. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.