Belichick on the hot seat in N.E.

Inigo Montoya

https://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/update-curran-says-belichick-has-been-on-the-hot-seat-since-2019.1161044/

Interesting thread on the Pat's message board that has a quote from Ben Volin the Senior NFL writer at the Boston Globe that  says Bill is on the hot seat.

“Robert Kraft already made it clear in March that he wants the Patriots to make the postseason and win a playoff game for the first time in five years,” Volin wrote. “He also paid Jerod Mayo handsomely to keep him off the coaching market and likely views him as the team’s coach-in-waiting. And Belichick’s friends have privately said they are worried that he is on the hot seat in 2023.”

The thread also links to two more stories reporting the same from different sources.

https://nesn.com/2023/07/patriots-rumors-bill-belichicks-friends-fear-coach-on-hot-seat/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/07/11/sports/mac-jones-bob-kraft-bill-belichick/

This article is behind a paywall and says that Mac Jones has quickly become tight with Robert Kraft and that Bill may end up the odd man out. 

The Bills host the Pats in Week 17 and it would be great to drub them so badly that Bill becomes a dead man walking come Bloody Monday at the end of the regular season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

52 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

BB is not on the 'hot seat', whatever that is supposed to mean in a NE context.

Is there some reason you don't think he's on the hot seat?  I guess I wouldn't bet $100 either way, but if I had to lean in one direction I'd think that multiple Patriot beat reporters saying the same thing means something. 

Time will tell.

🍻

34 minutes ago, Billznut said:

Bill Belichick will be out of New England when HE decides he’s ready to walk away. 

While I agree Belichick will get to decide when he wants to walk away from coaching in the NFL he still doesn't get to decide when he is let go by the owner of the team.  I don't know that Kraft even considers Bill anything but a highly paid and productive employee.  Could also be. Belichick himself is ready to retire.  He certainly has very little he can add to his career.  

3 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

i mean i guess its the smart thing, but that doesnt matter one bit. if BB leaves or if he stays, it will have 0.0000 to do with mac freaking jones lol

I wouldn’t necessarily say that. I mean he’s the QB of the team and if he plays terribly and the Pats don’t make the playoffs I’d say he’s somewhat involved. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, mrags said:

I wouldn’t necessarily say that. I mean he’s the QB of the team and if he plays terribly and the Pats don’t make the playoffs I’d say he’s somewhat involved. 

In your scenario does somewhat involved”  mean fired…, 

I think there's evidence that Kraft is not crazy about Belichick and he probably blames him for losing the great love of his life: Tommy.  So, I think he could be on the hot seat and has a shorter leash than expected for a coach with his record.  https://nypost.com/2021/09/29/robert-kraft-called-bill-belichick-the-biggest-f-king-a-hole-in-my-life/

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

In my opinion the pressure is cranking up a bit for Belichick especially after taking the gamble of Matt Patricia as OC last year blew up in his face.

While I don't think the announcement would say he was fired Belichick may "choose to step away from the team for a season to recharge his batteries". 

5 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

In my opinion the pressure is cranking up a bit for Belichick especially after taking the gamble of Matt Patricia as OC last year blew up in his face.

While I don't think the announcement would say he was fired Belichick may "choose to step away from the team for a season to recharge his batteries". 

Yea- I think he’s burning through goodwill more quickly than expected with moves like that. 

having Brady likely got him used to being able to do a lot of unconventional things that you can’t get away with when you have a bad qb. 

3 hours ago, AuntieEm said:

While I agree Belichick will get to decide when he wants to walk away from coaching in the NFL he still doesn't get to decide when he is let go by the owner of the team.  I don't know that Kraft even considers Bill anything but a highly paid and productive employee.  Could also be. Belichick himself is ready to retire.  He certainly has very little he can add to his career.  

the huge one is the wins record 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Is there some reason you don't think he's on the hot seat?  I guess I wouldn't bet $100 either way, but if I had to lean in one direction I'd think that multiple Patriot beat reporters saying the same thing means something. 

Time will tell.

🍻

He is 19 wins away from passing Shula for most wins of all time (regular season and post season combined). I think they give him 2 more seasons to break that and then ride off barring a huge collapse this season.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, LEBills said:

He is 19 wins away from passing Shula for most wins of all time (regular season and post season combined). I think they give him 2 more seasons to break that and then ride off barring a huge collapse this season.

Or only one might only be necessary...😇😳😑
(Runs for door, fearing for life...)

• Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Don Otreply said:

In your scenario does somewhat involved”  mean fired…, 

Well. That all depends on how bad the 2 of them don’t get along and how much of Krafts ear Jones has. 

BB is old and pats his prime. I’d put money on it he has the all time losing record before he has the all time winning record.

And there’s a chance that if things go south early, he won’t last long enough to have the win record. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

🤨

Spent 1/2 an hour trying to figure out who the initials 'HE' indicated...🤔

Herm Edwards?

Harlan Ellison?

Herb Ellis?

😑

He may have been emphasizing BB's stated personal pronouns.  

Edited by PBF81

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.