Belichick on the hot seat in N.E.

Inigo Montoya

6 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

BB is not on the 'hot seat', whatever that is supposed to mean in a NE context.

I completely disagree. He absolutely is and Patriot fans are very frustrated with him. Many are moving on from the Pats and placing them third on their sports priority list.  

it’s a BB problem and Kraft wont accept a major decline in revenues and profits from losing.  

if they don’t go deep this season Bellicheat will “retire”.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Belichick is a tale of two coaches.  

With Brady "he" was great.  But without Brady he wasn't even average, he's pretty much sucked.  One playoff win, and that against the Bledsoe-led Pats in one of the worst playoff games by any QB in the playoffs from a horrific career playoff QB.  

I hope he's around for another decade to continue to hammer the Pats into the ground while continuing to live off of the Brady years.  

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Belichick is a tale of two coaches.  

With Brady "he" was great.  But without Brady he wasn't even average, he's pretty much sucked.  One playoff win, and that against the Bledsoe-led Pats in one of the worst playoff games by any QB in the playoffs from a horrific career playoff QB.  

I hope he's around for another decade to continue to hammer the Pats into the ground while continuing to live off of the Brady years.  

imo, Belichick's problem isn't the quality of his coaching. Its his track record of drafts which had his fingerprints on them  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

https://www.patsfans.com/new-england-patriots/messageboard/threads/update-curran-says-belichick-has-been-on-the-hot-seat-since-2019.1161044/

Interesting thread on the Pat's message board that has a quote from Ben Volin the Senior NFL writer at the Boston Globe that  says Bill is on the hot seat.

“Robert Kraft already made it clear in March that he wants the Patriots to make the postseason and win a playoff game for the first time in five years,” Volin wrote. “He also paid Jerod Mayo handsomely to keep him off the coaching market and likely views him as the team’s coach-in-waiting. And Belichick’s friends have privately said they are worried that he is on the hot seat in 2023.”

The thread also links to two more stories reporting the same from different sources.

https://nesn.com/2023/07/patriots-rumors-bill-belichicks-friends-fear-coach-on-hot-seat/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2023/07/11/sports/mac-jones-bob-kraft-bill-belichick/

This article is behind a paywall and says that Mac Jones has quickly become tight with Robert Kraft and that Bill may end up the odd man out. 

The Bills host the Pats in Week 17 and it would be great to drub them so badly that Bill becomes a dead man walking come Bloody Monday at the end of the regular season.

It would be a great mistake for a franchise to start making personnel decisions, including coach and GM, based upon a player's friendship with the owner.

Ya Hate Ta See It. 🍿🍿

BTW Ben Volin is legit and has sources, but he also has a track record of sometimes being quite wrong.  So I'd get out the salt shaker for all this.

Interesting though, thanks for posting!

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

imo, Belichick's problem isn't the quality of his coaching. Its his track record of drafts which had his fingerprints on them  

I'm thinking about this, and I believe one has to factor in his choices of OC and DC into his "quality of coaching" evaluation.  Matt Patricia and Joe Judge as OCs last season was a stunning gaffe.  And it's not clear having his son call the defense is a smart move.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm thinking about this, and I believe one has to factor in his choices of OC and DC into his "quality of coaching" evaluation.  Matt Patricia and Joe Judge as OCs last season was a stunning gaffe.  And it's not clear having his son call the defense is a smart move.

Yes, that too. But I dont know the inner workings of the Patriots** organization to know if those choices were his decisions alone. 

Just now, Fan in Chicago said:

Yes, that too. But I dont know the inner workings of the Patriots** organization to know if those choices were his decisions alone. 

It's been pretty widely reported that Belicheck runs the show.  And I don't know of a HC in the league that allows anyone else to choose his coaching assistants.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Roger that, completely agree, but my point more particularly, is that he's actually a good but not great coach.  He's had his moments, cheating hasn't helped his image, nor has pushing the rules to their illogical limits and beyond the bounds of sportsmanship and to something other than they had intended.  

My contention is that w/o Brady he'd have been just another good coach.  And to your point, it's not as if he ever identified Brady as having greatness potential.  He was all-in on Bledsoe, one of the worst playoff QBs of all-time and an average QB otherwise.  Had Mo Lewis not forced his hand, Brady, like so many other of BB's drafted QBs (12), would have gone elsewhere to do his work.  

Of the dozen that BB drafted, Brady ranks 9th in draft placement.  Jones was a 1st-rounder, Garappolo a 2nd, Mallet, Brisset, and O'Connell 3rd's.  

76-88  (.463)  

1-2 in the playoffs, again, with his only playoff win, ironically, against Bledsoe's Pats in yet another typical playoff game where Bledsoe stunk the joint up, his specialty.  

10 seasons 

2 playoff appearances, two crushing losses, one in the WC Round, one in the D-Round.  Obviously 8 seasons w/o playoffs.  

His drafting has definitely hurt him, but without Brady the clear-cut pattern is that he was JAC.  

Much like BB wanting an opportunity for a fresh start to prove what he could do without Tommy. I have to imagine Kraft is feeling the same way. 

You had this unprecedented run, and from all appearances it’s over. I think he might be coming around to the idea of a fresh new start as well. 

You already lost the best qb of all-time while he was still doing what he did at a high level. Your coach on the other hand stayed, and he does not appear to be doing what he did at a high level. That alone would be enough to upset you a little. You kept the wrong guy. That would be enough for me to want a fresh start. The Patriot way left with Tom. 

Free agents lined up around the building for a chance to play with Tom for peanuts. BB almost seems a bit of a hinderance in that respect.  No one wants to play for less, AND have a hardball coach that doesn’t want you to have any fun. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Is there some reason you don't think he's on the hot seat?  I guess I wouldn't bet $100 either way, but if I had to lean in one direction I'd think that multiple Patriot beat reporters saying the same thing means something. 

Time will tell.

🍻

I have a Bills buddy who lives in Boston and he’s been saying this for quite a while, sending occasional links. BB may or may not coach the Pats* in 2024, but it’s not an isolated thought. 

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

His drafting has definitely hurt him, but without Brady the clear-cut pattern is that he was JAC.  

His teams do over achieve their roster and there is proof of that. There are very few coaches who have won it all with sub-par QB talent. So, I am not totally dismissing his skills as a HC. His teams are well prepared and rarely do gaffes in big games. Brady is in a different tier but he rode that horse for more wins than another coach would have. Just imo on that last part. 

He should be on the hot seat.  The sooner they replace him the sooner they will be on their way back to contention.  He won't be the coach when they get good again.  This is the problem with aging legends - nobody wants them to hang it up - but really - they need to.  They are hurting the team.

6 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

He should be on the hot seat.  The sooner they replace him the sooner they will be on their way back to contention.  He won't be the coach when they get good again.  This is the problem with aging legends - nobody wants them to hang it up - but really - they need to.  They are hurting the team.

I think Belichick the GM is making it darn near impossible for Belichick the HC to be successful. The guy is 71 years old and I don’t see him changing the structure of the organization. Something has to give, so why wait beyond this year.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Augie said:

I think Belichick the GM is making it darn near impossible for Belichick the HC to be successful. The guy is 71 years old and I don’t see him changing the structure of the organization. Something has to give, so why wait beyond this year.  

If BB is fired after this season, he would not retire. He would want to pull of the coaching equivalent of Brady - winning a Superbowl with another team. Given his age, the only way he does that is going to a team with a good QB already on board. Which would be a rare situation. Plus it is certain that the new team would only want him as a HC and not influence the draft board. Tough all the way around for BB.  

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

Yup.  Can’t remove him from the GM job so you’ll have to fire him out right.

42 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

His teams do over achieve their roster and there is proof of that. There are very few coaches who have won it all with sub-par QB talent. So, I am not totally dismissing his skills as a HC. His teams are well prepared and rarely do gaffes in big games. Brady is in a different tier but he rode that horse for more wins than another coach would have. Just imo on that last part. 

I didn't totally dismiss his skills either.

Not sure why that implication.  

• Like (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, JimBob2232 said:

Tom Landry comes to mind.  As successful as he was, the game had passed him by and bringing in Jimmy J. resulted in the Cowboy's Super Bowl run, which was certainly aided by the Herschel Walker trade.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.