Belichick on the hot seat in N.E.

Inigo Montoya

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And what GM brought in Mac Jones? Oh right.

My point is the Pats are the "Belichick Show" now, from coaching to player personnel.

Wasn't Bill always running the show. The Pats have had GM's during their dynasty, but didn't they answer to Bill. I was always under the impression that with the exception of Kraft that Bill was the most powerful man in Pats land.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Wasn't Bill always running the show. The Pats have had GM's during their dynasty, but didn't they answer to Bill. I was always under the impression that with the exception of Kraft that Bill was the most powerful man in Pats land.

Maybe after the 5th or 6th Super Bowl win Bill had more say, especially when Adams and Pioli left. Belichick convinced Kraft that he didn't need a GM, or even an offensive coordinator.

Compare the Pioli drafts to the ones Belichick ran. Brady covered up a lot of warts. 

• Like (+1) 4

Would it be any surprise if Volin & others' source is none other than McWeenie and/or his camp? He's gotta lay the groundwork for whatever endgame comes from his mundane stay in Foxboro, and the best way would be for the fans to blame & abandon Hoodie for the deficiencies.

Belichick will retire soon anyway. Luckily they already have their next coach/GM in da house, and hopefully he can fix NE like he did HOU.

On 7/31/2023 at 12:57 PM, Doc said:

He's not setting the record in 2024.

I was counting playoffs. He needs 18 more wins to tie and 19 to break  the all time win record, including playoffs.  I THINK he can do that in 2 years.  He won’t coach long enough to get 30 more wins in NE or anywhere else. 

19 hours ago, first_and_ten said:

You sound like a homer who cannot see reality. Excuses are for losers. Last time I checked Belichick was the head coach of those teams making those mistakes. Does he take any credit for that? Your last statement even proves my point. With Brady, they win despite bad coaching. 

Confused… how is it bad coaching when your players openly admit they did something stupid and they were even told not to do in the Vegas game? How is it bad coaching when the player doesn’t have common sense to protect the dang ball near the goal line? How is it bad coaching when players are in position but fail to make the tackle?  That’s just poor playing on the players part.

Now last year I was giddy happy they didn’t squeak into the playoffs because that meant he would be forced to remove dumb and dumber from coaching the O. Now that was arrogant on his part.

Now let’s look at Cleveland. He took over a team that was 3-13. His first year improved that to 6-10.. followed by two 7-9 years. Meh at best.. the NEXT year it all came together and they went 11-5 and made the playoffs and won a playoff game!  the next year Modell announced before the season they were moving the team and they fell flat on their face at 5-11.  Most would blame the owner for that but hey BB was the HC and got fired for it. 

I also notice you fail to mention he went 11-5 and 3-1 when Brady was unavailable either from injury or suspension.  I was most impressed with the 3-1 as he went 1-1 with a rookie QB  who was not ready for prime time at all. 

My point is he is/was a great HC if not the greatest. IMO he is now 70 and he doesn’t have the passion and or stamina for it anymore. 

40 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Confused… how is it bad coaching when your players openly admit they did something stupid and they were even told not to do in the Vegas game? How is it bad coaching when the player doesn’t have common sense to protect the dang ball near the goal line? How is it bad coaching when players are in position but fail to make the tackle?  That’s just poor playing on the players part.

Now last year I was giddy happy they didn’t squeak into the playoffs because that meant he would be forced to remove dumb and dumber from coaching the O. Now that was arrogant on his part.

Now let’s look at Cleveland. He took over a team that was 3-13. His first year improved that to 6-10.. followed by two 7-9 years. Meh at best.. the NEXT year it all came together and they went 11-5 and made the playoffs and won a playoff game!  the next year Modell announced before the season they were moving the team and they fell flat on their face at 5-11.  Most would blame the owner for that but hey BB was the HC and got fired for it. 

I also notice you fail to mention he went 11-5 and 3-1 when Brady was unavailable either from injury or suspension.  I was most impressed with the 3-1 as he went 1-1 with a rookie QB  who was not ready for prime time at all. 

My point is he is/was a great HC if not the greatest. IMO he is now 70 and he doesn’t have the passion and or stamina for it anymore. 

Small correction, but he’s actually 71. Not TOO different, but just that much older. It’s like infants and the elderly, when every little bit counts and you include the 1/2’s. My granddaughter is 9 months and my mother is 95 and a half. In the middle we settle for ranges, like “he’s in his mid-thirties.” OK, good enough. 

Curious, maybe I missed it, but what do YOU WANT to happen? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Ever heard the one about the buck and where it stops?

• Like (+1) 2

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Small correction, but he’s actually 71. Not TOO different, but just that much older. It’s like infants and the elderly, when every little bit counts and you include the 1/2’s. My granddaughter is 9 months and my mother is 95 and a half. In the middle we settle for ranges, like “he’s in his mid-thirties.” OK, good enough. 

Curious, maybe I missed it, but what do YOU WANT to happen? 

I want them be good. If they are competitive and fun to watch (unlike last year) I’ll gladly give him one more for the record then bring on Mayo. 

On 7/29/2023 at 2:13 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

🤨

Spent 1/2 an hour trying to figure out who the initials 'HE' indicated...🤔

Herm Edwards?

Harlan Ellison?

Herb Ellis?

😑

Henry Ellard?

On 7/29/2023 at 5:27 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

In my opinion the pressure is cranking up a bit for Belichick especially after taking the gamble of Matt Patricia as OC last year blew up in his face.

While I don't think the announcement would say he was fired Belichick may "choose to step away from the team for a season to recharge his batteries". 

He could go play pickle ball with Leslie Frazier!

On 7/29/2023 at 6:05 AM, mrags said:

Well. That all depends on how bad the 2 of them don’t get along and how much of Krafts ear Jones has. 

BB is old and pats his prime. I’d put money on it he has the all time losing record before he has the all time winning record.

And there’s a chance that if things go south early, he won’t last long enough to have the win record. 

Dan Reeves: 190-165-2.

Jeff Fisher: 173-165-1.

Tom Landry: 250-162-6.

Don Shula: 328-156-6.

Bill Belichick: 298-152-0.

On 7/29/2023 at 7:13 AM, Fan in Chicago said:

Yes, that too. But I dont know the inner workings of the Patriots** organization to know if those choices were his decisions alone. 

C'mon. You're a good poster so I can't believe that you believe what you typed. Who else is there in that organization that has one iota of influence?

There's almost zero skepticism to the belief that every football decision made in that organization is Belichick's.

Here are a few things that doubters of Belichick getting fired don't seem to appreciate:

• He and Robert Kraft don't like each other.
  • The Boston sports market is viciously competitive and it's a zero-sum game. Kraft doesn't want to be 4th string in publicity or revenue to the Bosox, the Celtics, and the Bruins.
  • The Patriots fans are largely spoiled and have unrealistic expectations. This combined with the events following the departure of Brady (namely the Patriots sucking and Brady winning a Super Bowl in Tampa) has caused a large segment of their fanbase to withdraw their support of Belichick and their interest in the team.

These are all things that close observers of the Boston sports scene are aware of but those outside the market are largely unaware of.

29 minutes ago, Sierra Foothills said:

C'mon. You're a good poster so I can't believe that you believe what you typed. Who else is there in that organization that has one iota of influence?

There's almost zero skepticism to the belief that every football decision made in that organization is Belichick's.

Here are a few things that doubters of Belichick getting fired don't seem to appreciate:

• The Boston sports market is viciously competitive and it's a zero-sum game. Kraft doesn't want to be 4th string in publicity or revenue to the Bosox, the Celtics, and the Bruins.
  • The Patriots fans are largely spoiled and have unrealistic expectations. This combined with the events following the departure of Brady (namely the Patriots sucking and Brady winning a Super Bowl in Tampa) has caused a large segment of their fanbase to withdraw their support of Belichick and their interest in the team.

These are all things that close observers of the Boston sports scene are aware of but those outside the market are largely unaware of.

I dont disagree because I dont have any data to suggest otherwise. But I was giving BB the benefit of the doubt.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Henry Ellard?

He could go play pickle ball with Leslie Frazier!

Dan Reeves: 190-165-2.

Jeff Fisher: 173-165-1.

Tom Landry: 250-162-6.

Don Shula: 328-156-6.

Bill Belichick: 298-152-0.

Good post! A few things though.

BB is only 19 wins away from the all time wins record, what you showed was just the regular season wins. When you add in playoffs he is 19 away. (So he will probably get the wins and loss record the same year)

Kraft has already stated he wants BB to get the wins record as the Patriots coach. They not like eachother but Kraft likes historic things happening with his team(s). 

Ugh a lot of Pats fans never knew what it was like NOT to be in the AFCCG game practically every year.  Think about it anyone under 40 has only really seen success and are spoiled. The only fans lost were never truly fans they were just front runner fans.. aka band wagoners. 

Boston Market is very tough, but the Red Sox are garbage, the Bruins are going to be in a full rebuild with Bergy and Krecji retiring. So as long as the Pats are competitive then BB be fine and the team one of the top 2. He can not have a repeat of last years team. (While a game away from making the  playoffs the team was terrible)

BB IMO has 2 years to break the record then Mayo is going to be HC. I think that’s why Mayo stayed. Kraft told him that BB has 2 more years then it’s his job. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

I would also add win a Super Bowl. Probably would have won it in the 13 seconds year.

It hurts to think about, but yes. And maybe last season's early demise might have transpired differently. It was rare to see a New England team fall flat like we did against Cincy. Then again, we all love the idea of Belichick & his strategy...but maybe that whole "come to play" attitude was a Brady thing? It mostly followed him to TB, and only squad injuries and aging seemed to hold that back.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I was counting playoffs. He needs 18 more wins to tie and 19 to break  the all time win record, including playoffs.  I THINK he can do that in 2 years.  He won’t coach long enough to get 30 more wins in NE or anywhere else. 

You think not only do they make the playoffs in the next two seasons, big IF, but they win a playoff game as well? I would bet against that. Just making the playoffs once in the next two seasons would be great for the Pats. 

No playoff win and they will have to post a double digit winning season plus a 9 win season for Bill to break the record. Or really overachieve in one season and win 11 or 12 games allowing for a losing season in the other. 

48 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You think not only do they make the playoffs in the next two seasons, big IF, but they win a playoff game as well? I would bet against that. Just making the playoffs once in the next two seasons would be great for the Pats. 

No playoff win and they will have to post a double digit winning season plus a 9 win season for Bill to break the record. Or really overachieve in one season and win 11 or 12 games allowing for a losing season in the other. 

I am expecting 9 at a minimum this year for wins. I expect the D to be too 5 this year, and have my fingers crossed the O can be between 15th to 20th in the NFL.. do that and 9 wins should be easily attainable.   I say this because last year, with a terrible O and a D that was not good against good QBs they lost 5 games by 7 or less. Two  of those against good QBs in Bengals, Packers and 1 with a freak WR in the Vikings.  My point is as HORRIBLE as that team was last year they easily could have won 9 or 10 games, heck even week 18 was competitive against the Bills.. I dare say I was afraid they may win it but thankfully the kick return team wanted early vacation. 

2 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

I am expecting 9 at a minimum this year for wins. I expect the D to be too 5 this year, and have my fingers crossed the O can be between 15th to 20th in the NFL.. do that and 9 wins should be easily attainable.   I say this because last year, with a terrible O and a D that was not good against good QBs they lost 5 games by 7 or less. Two  of those against good QBs in Bengals, Packers and 1 with a freak WR in the Vikings.  My point is as HORRIBLE as that team was last year they easily could have won 9 or 10 games, heck even week 18 was competitive against the Bills.. I dare say I was afraid they may win it but thankfully the kick return team wanted early vacation. 

9 or more wins in a division with the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins will be a tall order for the Pats. I think the division will be a three-way fight with the Pats coming in last. I would guess 7 or 8 wins at most for NE this year.

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.