Belichick on the hot seat in N.E.

Inigo Montoya

31 minutes ago, Gregg said:

9 or more wins in a division with the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins will be a tall order for the Pats. I think the division will be a three-way fight with the Pats coming in last. I would guess 7 or 8 wins at most for NE this year.

The first 4 games are killer. 

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, Gregg said:

9 or more wins in a division with the Bills, Jets, and Dolphins will be a tall order for the Pats. I think the division will be a three-way fight with the Pats coming in last. I would guess 7 or 8 wins at most for NE this year.

First, division games are always tough. They barely lost to Rogers with a BACKUP QB playing last year and with no true OC. The Jets D plays just well enough to lose and I have faith they will continue do just that.  As for the Dolphins their whole team rides on Tua’s health. He stays healthy they challenge Buffalo for the division.. I don’t see him staying healthy and that’s not his fault the O line is still bad there.  Buffalo is Buffalo right now and I wasn’t expecting a win against them.. I expect a 3-3 in the division. 

I could be wrong, wouldn’t be the first time, but like I said to begin for him to get fired he would have to have a 2-15 type season.. and he is still to good of a coach let that happen. 

1 hour ago, Doc said:

The first 4 games are killer. 

They are. I figure they beat the Jets and Cowboys.. have a dogfight with the Eagles. (Only because it’s Brady day for the opener) and have their typical bad game in Miami.  So I expect 2-2 or 1-3 to start.. if they managed a 3-1 start (pull off a huge upset against Eagles) I’d be shocked. 

35 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

They are. I figure they beat the Jets and Cowboys.. have a dogfight with the Eagles. (Only because it’s Brady day for the opener) and have their typical bad game in Miami.  So I expect 2-2 or 1-3 to start.. if they managed a 3-1 start (pull off a huge upset against Eagles) I’d be shocked. 

WIth Rodgers I don't give them a chance to beat the Jets at Jersey.  The Cowboys, maybe but it's on the road.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Doc said:

WIth Rodgers I don't give them a chance to beat the Jets at Jersey.  The Cowboys, maybe but it's on the road.

NE does have a nice streak going against the Jets. I think they have won 11 or 12 in a row. It's something like that. I agree with you that the Jets with Rodgers should at least get a split with the Pats. I wouldn't be shocked if they swept them this year either.

5 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I am expecting 9 at a minimum this year for wins. I expect the D to be too 5 this year, and have my fingers crossed the O can be between 15th to 20th in the NFL.. do that and 9 wins should be easily attainable.   I say this because last year, with a terrible O and a D that was not good against good QBs they lost 5 games by 7 or less. Two  of those against good QBs in Bengals, Packers and 1 with a freak WR in the Vikings.  My point is as HORRIBLE as that team was last year they easily could have won 9 or 10 games, heck even week 18 was competitive against the Bills.. I dare say I was afraid they may win it but thankfully the kick return team wanted early vacation. 

The wildcard is Aaron Rogers. And if he regains his old form, the bills can still make the playoffs with two additional losses over expectations. I think two added losses, for the patriots would be hard for them to overcome and still win 9 games.

• Like (+1) 2

40 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

The wildcard is Aaron Rogers. And if he regains his old form, the bills can still make the playoffs with two additional losses over expectations. I think two added losses, for the patriots would be hard for them to overcome and still win 9 games.

Yes, the wildcard for the entire AFC East IS Aaron Rodgers.

Noticeably and in contrast to previous seasons, he has been schmoozing with teammates and participating in OTAs and other team building activities this offseason.

Clearly he has heard all of the negativity about his offseason habits and inability to work with his young receivers. There's no doubt that Rodgers understands that his legacy is at stake in New York.

Right now he's the greatest QB to win only one Super Bowl and a guy who has left a lot of meat on the bone in his career. It's not lost on Rodgers that he has the opportunity to change this narrative.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I am just not sold on Rogers.  I think if things dont click right away he starts sulking and giving half efforts AGAIN. As for the Jets is there a QB they ever had that was truly good. they kill QBs like the browns  kill football careers. (Do not mention Namath, IMO he is the most over rated ever!)

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Sierra Foothills said:

Yes, the wildcard for the entire AFC East IS Aaron Rodgers.

Noticeably and in contrast to previous seasons, he has been schmoozing with teammates and participating in OTAs and other team building activities this offseason.

Clearly he has heard all of the negativity about his offseason habits and inability to work with his young receivers. There's no doubt that Rodgers understands that his legacy is at stake in New York.

Right now he's the greatest QB to win only one Super Bowl and a guy who has left a lot of meat on the bone in his career. It's not lost on Rodgers that he has the opportunity to change this narrative.

Rodgers is still all about Rodgers. Once it’s starts to fall apart-which it will because the public hears about it well after the team is feeling it- Rodgers will be throwing people under the bus-bitching about the money he gave up, and complaining about lack of weapons etc. he is EGO on steroids and it’s never his fault.  He will be the problem certainly 

he will flash at times but his attitude and self centered attitude will not fly with Saleh for long.  

he can’t stay in any relationship for long football, family, or women without drama and issues.  Why will the Effing Jets be different.   

I can’t wait for the implosion. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

14 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

I am just not sold on Rogers.  I think if things dont click right away he starts sulking and giving half efforts AGAIN. As for the Jets is there a QB they ever had that was truly good. they kill QBs like the browns  kill football careers. (Do not mention Namath, IMO he is the most over rated ever!)

Testaverde had some good years with them. They almost got to the Super Bowl in 98 before losing to Denver in the AFCCG. They were one of the favorites going into the 99 season but then Vinny tore his Achillies on opening day. If I remember correctly Pennington was decent but then hurt his arm and was never the same again.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/29/2023 at 10:05 AM, Fan in Chicago said:

imo, Belichick's problem isn't the quality of his coaching. Its his track record of drafts which had his fingerprints on them  

This has put me more towards team ‘it was mostly Brady’. Seems like bill used to trade back a lot and load up on defensive picks because Brady could make it work with anybody as long as the offensive line was pretty good.  

now that he’s gotta try to help the offense in the draft too the wheels seem to be coming off.  Some of his picks on the offensive side have been real head scratchers 

idk how there can be no reprocussions for rolling with Matt Patricia at OC either lol

1 hour ago, Teddy KGB said:

He’s 💩 without Brady just like McDermott is 💩 without Allen 

McDermott has made the playoffs as a head coach every season josh Allen wasn’t the starter 😂

• Thank you (+1) 2

24 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

This has put me more towards team ‘it was mostly Brady’. Seems like bill used to trade back a lot and load up on defensive picks because Brady could make it work with anybody as long as the offensive line was pretty good.  

now that he’s gotta try to help the offense in the draft too the wheels seem to be coming off.  Some of his picks on the offensive side have been real head scratchers 

idk how there can be no reprocussions for rolling with Matt Patricia at OC either lol

McDermott has made the playoffs as a head coach every season josh Allen wasn’t the starter 😂

Brady was a large part of the success. What people forget sadly is:

cassell: went 11-5 with him as the starter. 

JImmy G/ Jacoby Brissett: Went 3-1 and the 1 loss Brissett the 3rd string QB had a broken thumb.

My point is he went 14-6 when Brady was out. IMO like Brady, Father Time has caught up to BB as well.  I believe change will happen but not for another year. 

36 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Brady was a large part of the success. What people forget sadly is:

cassell: went 11-5 with him as the starter. 

JImmy G/ Jacoby Brissett: Went 3-1 and the 1 loss Brissett the 3rd string QB had a broken thumb.

My point is he went 14-6 when Brady was out. IMO like Brady, Father Time has caught up to BB as well.  I believe change will happen but not for another year. 

That Pats* team had just come off a perfect season and was absolutely loaded talent wise. Jimmy G and Brissett have both proven to be good/adequate starters in the league. BB is a good coach, but these aren't the miracles people like to make them out to be

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Captain Hindsight said:

That Pats* team had just come off a perfect season and was absolutely loaded talent wise. Jimmy G and Brissett have both proven to be good/adequate starters in the league. BB is a good coach, but these aren't the miracles people like to make them out to be

Yeah, one way to look at it is 11 wins is good. Another way to see it is it was 5 fewer wins than the season before, so that’s a loaded team that won despite a BIG drop off at QB. 

9 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

Sure, but Cassel started 80 games in the NFL and took the chiefs to the playoffs. He was a decent starter

Oh, I don’t really disagree, but that 11 win team was loaded. Some people like to act like “11 wins! No drop off there!” But it was. I mean, who is NOT a drop off when they follow Brady. Belichick had a lot more talent to work with back then. 

I am still THRILLED that they couldn’t pull off the undefeated season!!! 

1 hour ago, Captain Hindsight said:

They are but they were not first round picks Jimmy was a late 2nd and Brissett was a late third. It shows he still could evaluate talent later in his career.  The one thing he ALWAYS stunk at evaluating was/is WR talent.  Which when you don’t have a top tier or GOAT at QB you need at least 1 elite WR. 

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Oh, I don’t really disagree, but that 11 win team was loaded. Some people like to act like “11 wins! No drop off there!” But it was. I mean, who is NOT a drop off when they follow Brady. Belichick had a lot more talent to work with back then. 

I am still THRILLED that they couldn’t pull off the undefeated season!!! 

Lol I hope you send flowers to Asante Samual for that! I was so ticked when he dropped that INT.. 

Belichick is a great coach, but having Brady for 20 years made him seem like he was head and shoulders above everyone else when really he's "just" a great coach.

Turns out, he isn't smarter than everyone else in the league after all. 

If Sean Payton or Andy Reid had Tom Brady for 20 years he would have won 6 rings also. Maybe more, who knows. It was over a 20 year span. Bruce Arians won a SB with Brady at QB. Other coaches would have won a lot of games and a lot of rings too. 

Now, that's not to say Belichick isn't great, he is. Or that just (insert name here) would have had the same success with Brady. Give a McVay coffee fetcher like Lefleur Brady and he might not even have played in a Super Bowl. Would Dick Jauron have won a ring with Brady? Maybe, if given 2 decades...

Still, Belichick's defenses won the first couple of Super Bowls for that dynasty. He deserves a ton of credit, and it wasn't "all Brady."  But he could basically do anything he wanted and as long as the game was close Brady and the refs had it handled in those last 2 minutes. 

It's how it goes in sports. Belichick has the hardware, but is he really the greatest coach of all time? He's the guy who put Matt Patricia in charge of the offense to "help" his young QB after all.

Edited by TheFunPolice

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.