Belichick on the hot seat in N.E.

Inigo Montoya

7 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If this season goes sideways my guess is Kraft gives him the ultimatum of give up the personnel decisions to someone else or you're fired. 

Or he actually has to have coherent comments in his pressers and not just grumbles.

All are tough choices for him 

Edited by The Wiz
  • Haha (+1) 3

33 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I hope BB is out.  He's an above-average coach and his replacement will likely be less adept.  

But I don't see Kraft firing a guy who's given him 6 Lombardis.  

Isn't that kinda what he did with Brady?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, LEBills said:

He is 19 wins away from passing Shula for most wins of all time (regular season and post season combined). I think they give him 2 more seasons to break that and then ride off barring a huge collapse this season.

With the division being tougher now I think he'll need at least three more seasons to break it. Hard to imagine the Patriots having back to back winning seasons. Would be nice to see him fired though after two seasons and a couple wins shy of the record. 

The other consideration here is that Kraft is 82 and might want to have one more run at it while he's still around.  This might shorten the amount of time he is willing to give Bill to turn things around.

• Like (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

If this season goes sideways my guess is Kraft gives him the ultimatum of give up the personnel decisions to someone else or you're fired. 

That's what I see, but I doubt Belicheat will give up being able to "shop for some of the groceries."

9 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I hope BB is out.  He's an above-average coach and his replacement will likely be less adept.  

I agree.  He's a defensive genius.  The sooner he's gone the better. 

But if he only makes the playoffs once (by assing-in) in 4 years post-Brady it pretty much signals the SB days are long gone.

8 hours ago, The Wiz said:

More or less.  And I don't think Kraft wanted to see Brady go.

5 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The other consideration here is that Kraft is 82 and might want to have one more run at it while he's still around.  This might shorten the amount of time he is willing to give Bill to turn things around.

I agree with this. For almost 2 decades Kraft became very used to winning as well. The wins have slowed up, the decisions Belichick has made have been questionable and the game has changed beyond the "Patriot Way".

I don't see Kraft keeping him around to get the all time winning record. From past reports over the years they really aren't buddies. They kind of tolerate each other. Difference is in the past things could be overlooked because they were always in the SB hunt. I don't think Kraft gives Bill the happy ending to his career that Belichick wants.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I agree with this. For almost 2 decades Kraft became very used to winning as well. The wins have slowed up, the decisions Belichick has made have been questionable and the game has changed beyond the "Patriot Way".

I don't see Kraft keeping him around to get the all time winning record. From past reports over the years they really aren't buddies. They kind of tolerate each other. Difference is in the past things could be overlooked because they were always in the SB hunt. I don't think Kraft gives Bill the happy ending to his career that Belichick wants.

Kraft doesn't care about the all-time win record, if his teams aren't making the playoffs in the meantime.  And 36 of those wins came with the Browns, not the Cheaters.

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/29/2023 at 12:50 PM, Jauronimo said:

Totally disagree.  Belichick is a top 5 coach all time no matter how you slice it.  Brady wasn't some cant miss, ready to play, prospect.  Belichick was an instrumental part of his development and success.  The way the offense evolved as Brady gained experience was textbook on how to develop a QB.  He was a capable game manager his first few seasons.  Brady goes down and he takes Matt Cassel to 11 wins.  His teams constantly out perform their level of talent with next level preparation and attention to detail.  Pretty much any other coach in the league would have been lucky to to win 6 games with the roster they've fielded post Brady.  Its a small miracle he got them to an unreal post season ass kicking in Orchard Park with Mac Jones.

And there is no debating that he is one of the best defensive minds to ever walk the sidelines.  Buffalo would have a super bowl trophy if not for Belichick and his game plan to slow down the K Gun.

BTW, after giving this some more thought, that same season proves the bolded completely false.  

Miami and NE both beat the same teams, record-wise, considering that they split and were both 11-5.  

The only difference was that Miami beat the Chargers (8-8) while NE beat Arizona (9-7), and both Sparano and Belichick ended up 11-5 with Sparano edging Belichick to make the playoffs, which completely invalidates that particular premise that you threw up in that very same season.  

Factor in that that Cassel/Belichick had Moss/Welker to Miami's Ginn Jr./Greg Camarillo and it holds even less water.  

Just sayin'.  

It's a nice narrative, but completely false.  

Edited by PBF81

14 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I don’t.  He will keep the Patriots competitive and out of the top 10 in the draft.  Think Bills drought. 

He will also beat teams that are a threat.  Don’t want two easy wins for the Dolphins and Jets. 

15 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Can we please keep him on as GM? Pretty please??? 

2 hours ago, PBF81 said:

BTW, after giving this some more thought, that same season proves the bolded completely false.  

Miami and NE both beat the same teams, record-wise, considering that they split and were both 11-5.  

The only difference was that Miami beat the Chargers (8-8) while NE beat Arizona (9-7), and both Sparano and Belichick ended up 11-5 with Sparano edging Belichick to make the playoffs, which completely invalidates that particular premise that you threw up in that very same season.  

Factor in that that Cassel/Belichick had Moss/Welker to Miami's Ginn Jr./Greg Camarillo and it holds even less water.  

Just sayin'.  

It's a nice narrative, but completely false.  

You are tedious and have a poor grasp on the meaning of the word "proves".  You have opinions on the matter and they aren't widely held, accepted, or popular amongst fans, players, or experts of the game.

By the way Sparano never held a head coaching job again while Belichick coached in 5 more super bowls winning 3 since that season. But sure, if you don't count the 20 year era of utter dominance or his work as a coordinator then hes a pretty lousy coach.

Edited by Jauronimo
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, The Wiz said:

Exactly!  This is a business and Kraft will run it like one. If he ain’t winning he’s losing $$.  

Is he supposed to let BB coach into his 90s with dementia just because of the rings? Hell no.  So what’s the difference between booting him now or in 3-5 years say if they still are playoff winless?    

And I’d love to see Billy Boy get canned in the most epic of fashions and watch it divide Patriots nation in half

Edited by Behindenemylines

34 minutes ago, Jauronimo said:

By the way Sparano never held a head coaching job again while Belichick coached in 5 more super bowls winning 3 since that season. 

And yet, he outcoached the coach that you're defending as being great no matter the roster he's been handed, when he had Moss/Welker for Cassel to throw to, while Sparano had Pennington throwing to Ginn Jr. & Camarillo and on a purely apples-to-apples comp otherwise.   

I'll put it another way, Sparano, whom you just implied sucks, with no argument from anyone, led his 21st ranked offense and 9th ranked defense that season to the same 11-5 record as Belichick and his 8th ranked offense and 8th ranked defense in 2009, while beating the same exact teams for all intents and purposes, and while leading his team to the playoffs while Belichick was left out on tiebreaker, and you're claim by implication is that Sparano would have done worse on NE with more talent, while simultaneously implying that Belichick would have done better under the same circumstances otherwise, with less talent in Miami.  Sure.  LOL  

You know what they say about holes ... 

Over next to the stadium they have some excavators for you to borrow since the shovel you're using doesn't appear to be big enough.  

:) 

Edited by PBF81

3 hours ago, Behindenemylines said:

Exactly!  This is a business and Kraft will run it like one. If he ain’t winning he’s losing $$.  

Is he supposed to let BB coach into his 90s with dementia just because of the rings? Hell no.  So what’s the difference between booting him now or in 3-5 years say if they still are playoff winless?    

And I’d love to see Billy Boy get canned in the most epic of fashions and watch it divide Patriots nation in half

If he continues to miss the playoffs or not win a playoff game, it won't divide Cheaters nation.  They are already saying it was mostly due to Brady.

Edited by Doc
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.