All Pro Zack Martin considering not reporting to training camp

Starr Almighty

19 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

We can always use a guard. Let's beat the Dhop thread 

looks like he restructured and added voidable years so it required agent/player and team renegotiation. 

That was the time to address his perceived salary underpaid issue. Or he should have not agreed to the restructure. His agent blew it.

He gets paid plenty for his output. Not NFL fault as players become FA and reset market higher.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, scuba guy said:

You going to pay him with houses money 💰 🤑 

I heard house lost his wallet, 

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 hours ago, cba fan said:

looks like he restructured and added voidable years so it required agent/player and team renegotiation. 

That was the time to address his perceived salary underpaid issue. Or he should have not agreed to the restructure. His agent blew it.

He gets paid plenty for his output. Not NFL fault as players become FA and reset market higher.

No, plenty of times restructures don't need agent or player input of any kind. It's already in the contract.

And that's what happened this year in Martin's case. The Cowboys just pulled the trigger on that part of his contract. He didn't have any choice or input this year. The Cowboys just "executed clauses in two of their biggest contracts."

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-prescott-martin-restructure-2023/

Doing that, executing that clause, helps the team's cap situation, but it also gives Martin a bit more leverage, as the money is already in his bank account now. 

He does get paid plenty for his output by my standards and most standards. Not by NFL elite guard standards, though. The Boys have to live with all of the consequences of their decisions. Having said that, Martin also has to live with all the consequences of his.

He has every right to complain and to hold out if that's what he wants. Makes sense to me to rattle your saber in this kind of situation.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

No, plenty of times restructures don't need agent or player input of any kind. It's already in the contract.

And that's what happened this year in Martin's case. The Cowboys just pulled the trigger on that part of his contract. He didn't have any choice or input this year. The Cowboys just "executed clauses in two of their biggest contracts."

https://cowboyswire.usatoday.com/lists/cowboys-prescott-martin-restructure-2023/

Doing that, executing that clause, helps the team's cap situation, but it also gives Martin a bit more leverage, as the money is already in his bank account now. 

He does get paid plenty for his output by my standards and most standards. Not by NFL elite guard standards, though. The Boys have to live with all of the consequences of their decisions. Having said that, Martin also has to live with all the consequences of his.

He has every right to complain and to hold out if that's what he wants. Makes sense to me to rattle your saber in this kind of situation.

This ends with the Cowboys doing something very minor to just make Martin happy and "show him some love" then address it longer term in the offseason. But Martin is also going to 33 this season and the Cowboys have Martin on a great deal next season. Tricky situation but I think Martin knows this is his last chance to get a big money deal and he has to try and take advantage of it.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

The Jets appear to have a logjam on the OL. Often-injured (until now) Mekhi Becton, a real specimen, has been described as "disgruntled" because the Jets put him at RT, exposing his right leg that keeps getting hurt, where his natural position is LT. There are others in this fight too, which should be watched by the Bills for an opportunity for upgrades. https://nypost.com/2023/07/20/mekhi-becton-battling-for-spot-on-jets-offensive-line-as-competitions-begin/

33 minutes ago, Shemp said:

The Jets appear to have a logjam on the OL. Often-injured (until now) Mekhi Becton, a real specimen, has been described as "disgruntled" because the Jets put him at RT, exposing his right leg that keeps getting hurt, where his natural position is LT. There are others in this fight too, which should be watched by the Bills for an opportunity for upgrades. https://nypost.com/2023/07/20/mekhi-becton-battling-for-spot-on-jets-offensive-line-as-competitions-begin/

The Jets moved him to RT because he wasn't better than George Fant at LT. He's struggled with weight (but he's in "the best shape of his life" now) and injury. His only option on this line would be RT as the Bills aren't likely to be moving Dawkins...which according to this report "exposes his right leg" to injury. 

Not sure I'd sign a disgruntled, oft injured OT that struggles with weight. 

12 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Just playing devils advocate here, but didnt the player/agent know what was in the contract when they signed? So they had already agreed to it

3 hours ago, Just in Atlanta said:

Why doesn't House have any money?

Or is he just cheap?

The word is frugal my friend 😂

10 hours ago, TheWeatherMan said:

After the FA additions and the Draft, I’m more comfortable with G than I am at RT.  The #2 WR and RT are the weakest links on the team IMO.  

I think that was before Spencer Brown was able to win a home run derby... because of how much turning is required to swing a bat that hard and the weight transfer ability... he didn't look like he would have been able to do that past year following the back surgery.

On 7/20/2023 at 2:58 PM, cba fan said:

The only way a guy at his age can get a contract that is commensurate to his ability at his age is to force the issue. Maybe you're right that his agent blew it, but this league also gives way too much leverage to the owners. The only way a player can get paid is to threaten the team sometimes. I don't like it when it's one of the players on my team, but it's just a reality in the NFL. Players at certain positions have little leverage other than to threaten to sit. 

20 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

This ends with the Cowboys doing something very minor to just make Martin happy and "show him some love" then address it longer term in the offseason. But Martin is also going to 33 this season and the Cowboys have Martin on a great deal next season. Tricky situation but I think Martin knows this is his last chance to get a big money deal and he has to try and take advantage of it.  

Yeah, those all make sense to me, and it is indeed a tricky situation with a guy (very reasonably) looking for his last big payday.

12 hours ago, Bray Wyatt said:

Just playing devils advocate here, but didnt the player/agent know what was in the contract when they signed? So they had already agreed to it

Strictly speaking, this isn't in the contract. It's in the massive web of surrounding documents, probably the CBA though I don't know for sure.

Yes, he knew it was in the collective bargaining agreement. And both he, his agent, and the team also knew what was in there about holdouts as well. Holdouts are allowed. You can't hold a guy to some provisions of the CBA and the contract but not all of them. The players have to accept that the teams can cut them anytime. The teams have to accept that the players can hold out under certain conditions. 

It's all part of the deal. None of it less morally acceptable than the rest of it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.