Andrew Luck will be eligible for the HOF in 2024

Gregg

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

The only short career player I’ve ever approved of being in the hall was Terrell Davis.  He was dominant and won a ring. 

Gayle Sayres.  If i could only have one. 

transcendant.  Barry sanders before we had barry sanders.  Gayle Sayres would be your favorite highlight reel to watch over and over.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Billl said:

How in the world does Philip Rivers have more of a claim?  

It's a fascinating draft class in 2004 (besides Losman).  Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Eli each played at least 16 years and their games played are really close.  Rivers started 240, Roethlisberger 247, and Eli with 234.  Rivers has eight pro bowls, Roethlisberger has six, and Eli has four. 

Rivers and Roethlisberger are better by a healthy margin over Eli in passer rating, passing yards, passing TD's, and completion percentage.  Rivers is just a tiny bit better than Roethlisberger in all of those categories except passing yards but they're really close.  Eli is noticeably behind in all categories.

Then you have the playoff and Super Bowl success category.  Eli won two of two Super Bowls against the dynasty Patriots winning Super Bowl MVP both times. Roethlisberger won two Super Bowls (not an MVP though in either game) and lost one.  The farthest Rivers ever got was an AFC Championship game.  However, the Chargers weren't as stable as a franchise as the Steelers and Giants so how much do you put the lack of postseason success on him.  

I would definitely put Roethlisberger in, probably put Rivers in, and leave Eli out.  I tend to lean more to overall stats though above postseason success because wins aren't a QB stat.

'

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, maddenboy said:

Gayle Sayres.  If i could only have one. 

transcendant.  Barry sanders before we had barry sanders.  Gayle Sayres would be your favorite highlight reel to watch over and over.

Too spell both his first and last names incorrectly, not once but twice in the same post, is quite impressive. 😂

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DCofNC said:

If he gets in, the HOF is officially a joke.

Luck wasn't bad. Injuries cut his career short. If he played a full career, he could have had a shot at making the HOF. This isn't a Sam Darnold or Zach Wilson type of situation where he was a bust.

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

It's a fascinating draft class in 2004 (besides Losman).  Rivers, Roethlisberger, and Eli each played at least 16 years and their games played are really close.  Rivers started 240, Roethlisberger 247, and Eli with 234.  Rivers has eight pro bowls, Roethlisberger has six, and Eli has four. 

Rivers and Roethlisberger are better by a healthy margin over Eli in passer rating, passing yards, passing TD's, and completion percentage.  Rivers is just a tiny bit better than Roethlisberger in all of those categories except passing yards but they're really close.  Eli is noticeably behind in all categories.

Then you have the playoff and Super Bowl success category.  Eli won two of two Super Bowls against the dynasty Patriots winning Super Bowl MVP both times. Roethlisberger won two Super Bowls (not an MVP though in either game) and lost one.  The farthest Rivers ever got was an AFC Championship game.  However, the Chargers weren't as stable as a franchise as the Steelers and Giants so how much do you put the lack of postseason success on him.  

I would definitely put Roethlisberger in, probably put Rivers in, and leave Eli out.  I tend to lean more to overall stats though above postseason success because wins aren't a QB stat.

'

After citing the bolded part, you would have Rivers in and Eli out?  That doesn't make sense.  It's not the Hall of Stats.  If it was, Jim Kelly wouldn't be in there. 

Chargers "not as stable" with Rivers?  They had 4 losing seasons in his 14 years of starting. They went to the playoffs 6 times. they went 5-7.   When you said "unstable" maybe you meant the Giants, who were a lot more rocky over the course of his career compared to the Chargers---yet they won 2 SB vs far better teams....mainly because of the play of Manning. 

Post season is huge for HOF--again, see Jim Kelly, Kurt Warner.

16 hours ago, Virgil said:

The only short career player I’ve ever approved of being in the hall was Terrell Davis.  He was dominant and won a ring.  

Luck would be a lock if he played a few more years and won a ring, but not with his body of work as is. 

Wow, what are the odds of posting the same argument at the exact same time 

Gale Sayers as well. I don’t think Luck should get in. IMO, the only other shortened career that deserves to be in is Sterling Sharpe. Once Favre got to GB Sharpe was going back and forth with Rice for best receiver in the NFL for 3 years then the neck injury happened. 

17 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I like to visit the HOF it's a fun vacation spot.   That said, the selection committee is bogus.   Calvin Johnson was a 1st ballot and Terrell Owens was not, despite having 4,000 more yards and 60 more career touchdowns.   Andrew Luck belongs nowhere near the hall of fame. 

I think Calvin Johnson is a worthy entrant into the HOF, but your point about TO is spot on.  Perhaps the HOF wanted to throw poor, long suffering Lions fans A bone?  Before Calvin was inducted, they had 21 players in the HOF...only one (Barry) had played for the Lions in the last 40 years,  Curly Culp spent the final, forgettable, year of his HOF career as a Lion in 1981.  Pretty slim pickings after that.

Edited by Buftex

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.