Rochester Bar Bill Tavern - Opened Yesterday (7/7/23) - Thoughts?

3 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I can't put him on ignore until I find out if he was able to dress himself for an event.

I think we all know he just wanted to tell us he was invited to speak in Vegas (not exactly rare in Vegas, my wife has done it), but he wasn’t smart enough to realize that only a complete buffoon can’t get himself dressed. Kind of like asking for recipes so he can tell us he spends thousands of dollars a month going out to eat also means his wife is incapable of basic kitchen skills and concepts. Our self-proclaimed genius misses out on the double edged sword he wields. 

This has turned sad, indeed. 

4 hours ago, Augie said:

I think we all know he just wanted to tell us he was invited to speak in Vegas (not exactly rare in Vegas, my wife has done it), but he wasn’t smart enough to realize that only a complete buffoon can’t get himself dressed. Kind of like asking for recipes so he can tell us he spends thousands of dollars a month going out to eat also means his wife is incapable of basic kitchen skills and concepts. Our self-proclaimed genius misses out on the double edged sword he wields. 

This has turned sad, indeed. 

Does he have an arkytech for a neighbor though.... 

Bud texted me and said the line to get in was 1/8th of a mile long. These are chicken wings, not in season soft shell crabs.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 hours ago, T&C said:

Bud texted me and said the line to get in was 1/8th of a mile long. These are chicken wings, not in season soft shell crabs

Wow, that’s a lot of morons who don’t know slop when they see it. 😉

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/10/2023 at 8:15 PM, chongli said:

In case anyone is interested, I added the Yelp page for this new location Saturday:

https://www.yelp.com/biz/bar-bill-tavern-inc-rochester

Yikes!  3.3 out of the gate.  4.2 on Google already.  They'd better get those kinks worked out quickly.  

I wonder if some Rochester folk are rating it low because it's a Buffalo place.  

1 hour ago, teef said:

yesterday i was told that a couple we knew finally went.  they waited 45 mins, and said the wings were rather, "unimpressive".  so there's that.

I've been looking to go to Roch to check it out, trying to go during Camp, but I think I'll wait until the wait times diminish, at least during the week.  Or maybe just go solo to the bar for recon purposes.  

• Like (+1) 1

I mean wings used to be free during happy hour in the Rochester area when I was young handsome and cool,  

I would think that most folk here can make better wings than 99% of wing places serve, 

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

I mean wings used to be free during happy hour in the Rochester area when I was young handsome and cool,  

I would think that most folk here can make better wings than 99% of wing places serve, 

Funny you say that, I typically make my own wings now for that reason, but also because they're so expensive now out.  It's $40 for an order of wings, a couple of drafts, and a tip.  

BTW, at least in Rochester, the wings were also much better generally speaking when you were young, handsome, and cool.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Yikes!  3.3 out of the gate.  4.2 on Google already.  They'd better get those kinks worked out quickly.  

I wonder if some Rochester folk are rating it low because it's a Buffalo place.  

I've been looking to go to Roch to check it out, trying to go during Camp, but I think I'll wait until the wait times diminish, at least during the week.  Or maybe just go solo to the bar for recon purposes.  

Was in Rochester 2 weekends ago and thought about going but decided against it since I figured it would be packed and the kinks are still likely not worked out.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, teef said:

yesterday i was told that a couple we knew finally went.  they waited 45 mins, and said the wings were rather, "unimpressive".  so there's that.

F that couple! 

Are we going soon or what? Time to put this speculation one way or another to bed! 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, PBF81 said:

i'm hoping it's just growing pains as others have mentioned.  i'll still go, but i'm not as interested as i once was.

2 hours ago, Bobby Hooks said:

F that couple! 

Are we going soon or what? Time to put this speculation one way or another to bed! 

you around at the end of this month?  i'm jammed this week, away next week, but my wife and kids are in florida the week after.  giddy up.

• Agree 1

13 minutes ago, teef said:

i'm hoping it's just growing pains as others have mentioned.  i'll still go, but i'm not as interested as i once was.

you around at the end of this month?  i'm jammed this week, away next week, but my wife and kids are in florida the week after.  giddy up.

Alright, let’s s do this! Maybe they’ll get their stuff together by then. 

You guys want us to live feed this $&@?!

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Hot-ish take: Any wing properly cooked in a fryer (350 degrees for 13-15 minutes) will taste great coated in a good sauce. 99% of the wing joints in Buffalo know this. They all taste pretty much the same.

I agree, but one thing I’d add is that there definitely are variations on the “meatiness”….the size, of a chicken wing. Some are more meaty than others, and obviously, you want the meaty ones.

59 minutes ago, Bob Jones said:

I agree, but one thing I’d add is that there definitely are variations on the “meatiness”….the size, of a chicken wing. Some are more meaty than others, and obviously, you want the meaty ones.

See… I think there’s a fine line. I want a good amount of meat on my wings but I’ve definitely had some (mostly drumsticks) that have had too much meat. 

They’re like super veiny and gross me out. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bob Jones said:

Too much meat is not a good thing. I'd prefer a smaller wing over a huge wing as I am eating wings for the flavor of the sauce, not the flavor of the bird. 

An average-sized wing is preferred IMO.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Hot-ish take: Any wing properly cooked in a fryer (350 degrees for 13-15 minutes) will taste great coated in a good sauce. 99% of the wing joints in Buffalo know this. They all taste pretty much the same.

i tend to find out which places are better at wings when i order them extra crispy.  if they tell me it's going to take some random amount of time extra to cook...they're doing it the right way.  my understanding is to really get them extra crispy, you cook them at 350 for the 15, take them out, let he oil get back up to heat, and cook them again.  it takes time vs just leaving them in for a bit longer where they really never get that much crispier.  

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Too much meat is not a good thing. I'd prefer a smaller wing over a huge wing as I am eating wings for the flavor of the sauce, not the flavor of the bird. 

An average-sized wing is preferred IMO.

That's it right there!  10+ years ago they were a good size.  Then everyone got all amped up about bigger wings and they started breeding 'em differently.  

If they're too big you take a bite or two and all the surface crunchiness is gone and all you've got left is white chicken on a stick.  Not much difference between that and a boneless breast piece of chicken.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

i tend to find out which places are better at wings when i order them extra crispy.  if they tell me it's going to take some random amount of time extra to cook...they're doing it the right way.  my understanding is to really get them extra crispy, you cook them at 350 for the 15, take them out, let he oil get back up to heat, and cook them again.  it takes time vs just leaving them in for a bit longer where they really never get that much crispier.  

Leaning towards how Belgian (European) Pommes (fries) are cooked.  

I'll have to try that at home sometime.  

1 minute ago, teef said:

Yea 13-15 min at 350 will cook a wing 

But if you want extra crispy... I'll drop it for 12 minutes... Pop it up...

Then drop it down for another 5-6

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Yep yep - that is the extra crispy trick.

A lot of people think that grilling a wing after it is fried will increase the crispiness. That is the opposite of true - a grilled wing will add char but reduce the overall crispiness of the wing.

2 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

Also depends upon the size of the fryer and how many wings are packed into it.  

I've found that spreading them out cooks them better and more quickly.   IOW, instead of cramming 18 wings into a fryer without much space left, try 10 or 12, they'll fry up faster and get crispier more quickly, and I've found that they actually cook faster (more per hour) that way.  

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Yep yep - that is the extra crispy trick.

A lot of people think that grilling a wing after it is fried will increase the crispiness. That is the opposite of true - a grilled wing will add char but reduce the overall crispiness of the wing.

Yea char bbw wings are amazing ..  but the char does the opposite of crisp

People don't realize that lol

Just now, Buffalo716 said:

Yea char bbw wings are amazing ..  but the char does the opposite of crisp

People don't realize that lol

It seems counterintuitive but it is true. I spent a better part of most of my college years cooking wings at a bar every other night. I like to think I am somewhat of an expert at this.

Nothing would irk me more than someone complaining their wings were not crispy enough after they ordered them to be grilled.

5 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Leaning towards how Belgian (European) Pommes (fries) are cooked.  

I'll have to try that at home sometime.  

i didn't realize that.  i've just started getting the cut wings at wegmans and cooking them at home.  i roll them in vegetable oil, salt and chipotle seasoning and cook them in a pizza oven.  it's a good mix of crispy and roasty.

16 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

It seems counterintuitive but it is true. I spent a better part of most of my college years cooking wings at a bar every other night. I like to think I am somewhat of an expert at this.

Nothing would irk me more than someone complaining their wings were not crispy enough after they ordered them to be grilled.

My cousin owns a pizzeria in the city so I also have been around a deep fryer 😅🤩

And yea people asking for xx crispy char pit is counterintuitive 

Edited by Buffalo716

1 hour ago, teef said:

i didn't realize that.  i've just started getting the cut wings at wegmans and cooking them at home.  i roll them in vegetable oil, salt and chipotle seasoning and cook them in a pizza oven.  it's a good mix of crispy and roasty.

You can cut 'em yourself too, it's easy.   They cost a lot less that way.  If money's no object, yeah, just buy 'em cut.  Those generally are pretty good sized Wings.  

If you're pizza oven is a convection oven that's a pretty good way to cook 'em.  Air fryers, aka convection ovens, are also good.  

I prefer deep-frying mine in lard, much healthier that way, they also taste better and don't stick together like they do when I fry them in soybean oil/vegetable oil.  It's difficult to find lard, I get mine at a local meat processor for about as much as vegetable/soybean oil costs.  

You really need a deck/patio or garage to fry though, stinks up the house if you do it inside.  ... unless you don't mind living in a Wendy's.  LOL  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.