Just ate at the original Bar-Bill!

BillsFan619

2 hours ago, teef said:

Let’s get beers. 

I can’t do a ton of wings any more either.  10 is more than enough. 

Did you say Beers !

I eat about five at a go.

But my buddy who has been to both Bar Bills locations tell the carved Beef is the sht.
and he would know.

So I expect to get over there soon. 10 minute drive for me

21 hours ago, SoMAn said:

Actually, I believe those artists are the problem. Wings don’t need to be re-invented by the Wing Picassos of the world. The real deal is so simple and yet they find ways to screw it up. 
Use fresh good quality poultry. 
Deep fry in clean oil.

Properly drain excess oil for a minute to get crisp

Franks and butter

Sauce liberally. They don’t need a bath. 
Don’t close the wings up in an unvented container so they get soggy. 

or if you want to be Michelangelo, dump the oil dripping wings into a half gallon of Tabasco sauce mixed with Blue Bonnet margarine and red pepper flakes for heat. While still steaming, seal in a Tupperware container until ready to eat , then serve the rubbery mess with ranch dressing.  You could be a regular Jackson Polack! 

Keep it simple. But all those details need to be nailed. Hence my comment "art form"
Did not mean wings should be expressionist art  LOL

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Augie said:

I get the smallest order which is usually 5 or 6 wings. I usually have one or two leftover. 

I went to lunch with a buddy at a pizza place. I usually just get a slice and I’m good. He wanted to try the wings, so I suggested the smallest order, I’d be good with one or two, max. Fast forward: we ordered 20, I had two and he ate the rest….plus his pizza. I couldn’t have done that on a bet! 

When i was young ? I would have also eaten  a medium Italian oil and dressing assorted on a toasted roll. For lunch.

and hungry by dinner

and i have weighed under 180 my whole life.

No longer
Thats a weeks worth of dinner  LOL

and a heart attack by thursday  HA HA

19 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

What if it smells like fish, but tastes like chicken?😍

its a dirty overused "fryer"
Gotta change the oil on those things lol 

• Haha (+1) 2

3 hours ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

Yes that is why I have started making my own.

Get large wings from the grocery store.

Put them on tin foil with Pam.

Sprinkle liberaly with salt, pepper, garlic powder and Frank's wings sauce.

425 for 30 minutes. 

After 30 minutes take them out, flip them. More salt pepper, garlic powder and Frank's wing sauce.

Put them back in for 15 min.

These are poor man's wings

hell yes.  Although, I do mine in the air fryer.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Screw good health!!

grease!!!!!!!!

I am buying you an air fryer when we win the SB

Send me your address at that point in PM

I am serious.

But yes

I really had the the Deep fryer method and fresh cut wings thing down to a science. I dont have it anymore for multiple reasons
Very satisfying though. Very 

On 6/26/2023 at 4:18 PM, teef said:

there's on opening soon in rochester too.  i hope it's somewhat close the the quality of the buffalo location.  they had an anchor bar here for a while that did not go so well.

New Bar Bill was a former McGregors.  Can’t be any worse that that dump 

4 hours ago, teef said:

it is shocking that they never did more with that place.  

they had a good one years ago (their first?) on Mt Hope formerly Lunds restaurant.  Then they had one on Gregory street (formerly Doc’s Pump House) which was good too.  I think they overexpanded to the point where Covid wiped them out. 

14 minutes ago, BlazinBill said:

I seriously dont see the hype for BarBill- I went once- won't go again completely overhyped place- grew up eating wings and wouldn't rank the place in the top 10

Care to share some of your top 10? I’ve never been to Bar Bill but hope to visit on my next trip. Always looking for good options. 

When I lived in WNY there was a little house on the east side of Transit around East Amherst. Rosy’s or something? It’s been gone forever I’m sure, but when I think of my favorite wings, I think of that place. 

10. TGIF

9. Applebee's

8. Domino's

7. Buffalo Wild Wings

6. Wegmans Wing Bar

5. Dave and Busters

4. Quaker Steak& Lube

3. Bryne Dairy

2. Chili's

1. Frozen Tyson Wings - leave out of freezer for a bit ( do not heat) then just dip in ranch and enjoy 

• Haha (+1) 5

1 hour ago, BlazinBill said:

10. TGIF

9. Applebee's

8. Domino's

7. Buffalo Wild Wings

6. Wegmans Wing Bar

5. Dave and Busters

4. Quaker Steak& Lube

3. Bryne Dairy

2. Chili's

1. Frozen Tyson Wings - leave out of freezer for a bit ( do not heat) then just dip in ranch and enjoy 

Thank you for a prompt response.

This tells us all that we need to know. 

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, BlazinBill said:

10. TGIF

9. Applebee's

8. Domino's

7. Buffalo Wild Wings

6. Wegmans Wing Bar

5. Dave and Busters

4. Quaker Steak& Lube

3. Bryne Dairy

2. Chili's

Jesus Christ is that the list in hell

• Haha (+1) 2

@teef, @Augie, @17islongenough, @Virgil, @PBF81, @Ned Flanders, @3rdand12, @Steptide, @Freddie's Dead

According to this article, it looks like it’s opening in Rochester on Friday, July 7th!

Also, pretty cool that the opening is getting attention on yahoo.

Go Bills! Go Bar-Bill!

https://www.yahoo.com/news/popular-buffalo-bar-set-open-183723960.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BillsFan619 said:

@teef, @Augie, @17islongenough, @Virgil, @PBF81, @Ned Flanders, @3rdand12, @Steptide, @Freddie's Dead

According to this article, it looks like it’s opening in Rochester on Friday, July 7th!

Go Bills! Go Bar-Bill!

Mighty Taco and Duff's failed here, now it's Bar Bill's turn.  Rochester ain't Buffalo, there's no concept of going until 4AM on the weekends.  Pizza places close at 11PM here.  The only place to get food in Rochester after midnight is Denny's and the 24-hour drive through at Burger King.  Rochester sucks for restaurants and bars.

57 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Mighty Taco and Duff's failed here, now it's Bar Bill's turn.  Rochester ain't Buffalo, there's no concept of going until 4AM on the weekends.  Pizza places close at 11PM here.  The only place to get food in Rochester after midnight is Denny's and the 24-hour drive through at Burger King.  Rochester sucks for restaurants and bars.

I’m a little worried about that too.  Graveyard locations are a real thing. And while many know about the greatness of Bar Bill, I wonder if that popularity exists in Rochester.  

Regardless, I will be there the second week of August and go many times 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFan619 said:

Go Bills! Go Bar-Bill!

Thanks!  

I'll probably avoid the first few days as it'll be mobbed but looking forward to going soon.  

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

I didn't know that The Mighty opened there, I can see why that may have failed, but Duff's was a little bit of a surprise.  I do think that lockdowns had a whole lot to do with it.  

MacGregor's at this location did well, not sure why they closed it other than that it occurred during lockdowns.  It's a big place.  

If I had to guess, Bar Bill will do fine there.  

On 6/30/2023 at 3:44 PM, Mr. WEO said:

they had a good one years ago (their first?) on Mt Hope formerly Lunds restaurant.  Then they had one on Gregory street (formerly Doc’s Pump House) which was good too.  I think they overexpanded to the point where Covid wiped them out. 

I think they tried one out in Henrietta on Jefferson near RiT. Had one on rt 31 just past Perinton.

Stretched too thin and lost its panache. if there ever was one

The Distillery has made a similar business decisions

18 hours ago, Buffalo716 said:

Jesus Christ is that the list in hell

to each their own tastes I suppose

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

What ? Nick Tahou isn't still open ? Home of the original garbage plate ?

Not that I would risk EVER going  there even in the day

lol

5 hours ago, Virgil said:

I’m a little worried about that too.  Graveyard locations are a real thing. And while many know about the greatness of Bar Bill, I wonder if that popularity exists in Rochester.  

Regardless, I will be there the second week of August and go many times 

I hope to get over next weekend. In the afternoon  LOL

On 6/30/2023 at 3:44 PM, Mr. WEO said:

The Southwedge one, over on Gregory St., they closed years ago due to disputes with the neighbors.  

Not sure when the Palmyra one closed.  

I thought that the Penfield one (now Bar Bill) was doing well before Lockdowns & Restrictions.  

23 hours ago, Augie said:

Care to share some of your top 10? I’ve never been to Bar Bill but hope to visit on my next trip. Always looking for good options. 

When I lived in WNY there was a little house on the east side of Transit around East Amherst. Rosy’s or something? It’s been gone forever I’m sure, but when I think of my favorite wings, I think of that place. 

You talkin' about Rootie's?  

20 hours ago, BlazinBill said:

10. TGIF

9. Applebee's

8. Domino's

7. Buffalo Wild Wings

6. Wegmans Wing Bar

5. Dave and Busters

4. Quaker Steak& Lube

3. Bryne Dairy

2. Chili's

It must've been an oversight that you left KFC off of the list?  

LMAO @ #1

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

I hope to get over next weekend. In the afternoon  LOL

We got there just before 8 pm last night. 3 of us. We were told an hour wait for a table. Then 3 people got up from the bar. I grabbed those seats. Total wait time, 2 minutes. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I don’t think so, but I can’t be sure. It was an old house and we always got wings to go (and they were STILL good). I remember a Rudy’s Tap Room or something closer to the UB Amherst location, I think. This was a LONG time ago, back in the 70’s. Seriously doubt any of it is still there. 

1 minute ago, Draconator said:

We got there just before 8 pm last night. 3 of us. We were told an hour wait for a table. Then 3 people got up from the bar. I grabbed those seats. Total wait time, 2 minutes. 

The bar is always your friend!!! I eat lunch there daily, today with my wife because it was easier than a table. Just sit. 

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

It must've been an oversight that you left KFC off of the list?  

LMAO @ #1

Ahh huge oversight - I need to update the list now - but which amazing wing is eliminated. 

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 3rdand12 said:

I think they tried one out in Henrietta on Jefferson near RiT. Had one on rt 31 just past Perinton.

lol

Thirsty turtle has a better plate anyway. Beans > Mac salad 

Edited by Bobby Hooks
  • Like (+1) 1

lol

Distillery is still doing well.

Tahou's died decades ago, It's rotting carcass is still mailing it in with awful plates.

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

The Southwedge one, over on Gregory St., they closed years ago due to disputes with the neighbors.  

Not sure when the Palmyra one closed.  

I thought that the Penfield one (now Bar Bill) was doing well before Lockdowns & Restrictions.  

I think McGregor's guys simply went broke.

• Thank you (+1) 1

lol

Steve Tahous is open on Lyell across from Weggams.  Every time I drive by in the evening, there's cops there....

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Augie said:

I don’t think so, but I can’t be sure. It was an old house and we always got wings to go (and they were STILL good). I remember a Rudy’s Tap Room or something closer to the UB Amherst location, I think. This was a LONG time ago, back in the 70’s. Seriously doubt any of it is still there. 

Yeah, doesn't sound like Rooties.  Rooties underwent an ownership change I think in the late '80s or early '90s, the new owners ran it into the ground.  That was where the wings that the Buffalo Mayor would bet his counterparts in Dallas, Washington, and NY for during our Super Bowl years came from.  They were regarded as among the tops in Buffalo at the time.  

1 hour ago, Mr. WEO said:

Distillery is still doing well.

The last time I went there their wings sucked.  They used to be great in the '80s and '90s. 

Are they better again?  

Tahou's died decades ago, It's rotting carcass is still mailing it in with awful plates.

I couldn't agree more.   

The appeal was going to the downtown location for the "ambience" back in the '80s and maybe early '90s.  So many better plates from a food perspective in Rochester.  

I think McGregor's guys simply went broke.

That's interesting.  I'll find out for sure next time I visit the Hentrietta location.  It looks like they only have that one and on out in Gates open still.  

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Opening a new one in Penfield today or tomorrow I think

Good morning!  

:D

2 hours ago, BlazinBill said:

Ahh huge oversight - I need to update the list now - but which amazing wing is eliminated. 

Not Wegmans wing bar, they definitely earn a spot on the list.  LOL  

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Killed their plates when they went to frozen home fries.   That was the only fresh ingredient and therefore the only ingredient they could f*ck up.   And they did.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 6/26/2023 at 5:17 PM, BillsFan619 said:

As some of you know, I’m a die-hard who lives on the West Coast. My family and I are going to the Bills, Chargers game in December. Woohoo!

For those that live in the Buffalo area, you know this already, but you have a keeper.

Their original wings were amazing. WOW!!! The blue cheese was great too. Loved the vibe as well.

Question for Bills Mafia who live in the area:

I was surprised that they didn’t have a lot of Bills stuff up. I think I only saw one Bills sign that was lit up in the whole place.

Does that change during the season? Is there more Bills stuff up?

Go Bills!!!

I had the same feeling when I was at a bar/restaurant in Oakville ON and they did not serve any Molson. Maybe they do not want to be stereotyped. 

17 hours ago, PBF81 said:

The last time I went there their wings sucked.  They used to be great in the '80s and '90s. 

Are they better again?  

I couldn't agree more.   

The appeal was going to the downtown location for the "ambience" back in the '80s and maybe early '90s.  So many better plates from a food perspective in Rochester.  

That's interesting.  I'll find out for sure next time I visit the Hentrietta location.  It looks like they only have that one and on out in Gates open still.  

Good morning!  

:D

Not Wegmans wing bar, they definitely earn a spot on the list.  LOL  

Nick’s peaked in the 80s when it ran 24 hrs a day, closing only on Christmas.  Nick and his staff quite the characters.  2 am and the place is filled with cops, college kids, hookers.  The meat sauce was the OG, the Everest, the Olympus of meat sauces.

I still have a  grease stained “Rochester Sesquicentennial” Nicks cardboard plate (1984)—a real “game used” memento of my college youth!

Now the decent copies are Dog Town and Empire Hots. 

Distillery you never go for the food, just to meet up with people.  Jeremiah’s on Monroe has the best wings still. 

15 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Killed their plates when they went to frozen home fries.   That was the only fresh ingredient and therefore the only ingredient they could f*ck up.   And they did.

Probably a jarred meat sauce now too

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Nick’s peaked in the 80s when it ran 24 hrs a day, closing only on Christmas.  Nick and his staff quite the characters.  2 am and the place is filled with cops, college kids, hookers.  The meat sauce was the OG, the Everest, the Olympus of meat sauces.

I still have a  grease stained “Rochester Sesquicentennial” Nicks cardboard plate (1984)—a real “game used” memento of my college youth!

Now the decent copies are Dog Town and Empire Hots. 

Distillery you never go for the food, just to meet up with people.  Jeremiah’s on Monroe has the best wings still. 

Forgot about Jeremiahs

Been decades for me

Dog Town on Monroe is becoming a legend for good reason !

1 minute ago, 3rdand12 said:

Forgot about Jeremiahs

Been decades for me

Dog Town on Monroe is becoming a legend for good reason !

It’s decent meat sauce.  More spicy than original Nicks.  Little salty.  

nit sure if the other Jeremiah’s are as good 

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

It’s decent meat sauce.  More spicy than original Nicks.  Little salty.  

nit sure if the other Jeremiah’s are as good 

Fair take.
Been a long long time since the Original Nicks exp

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.