To all the Fire McDermott Posters, a follow up question..

ChicagoRic

7 hours ago, Augie said:

Firing a coach after a 14-4 season, in that example, is a short leash. Most teams and fan bases would sign up for 14-4 all day long. 

John Fox was replaced in Denver after 3 seasons of 13-3, 13-3, 12-4.  He had a .719 winning % as Bronco head coach overall, but was 3-4 in playoffs and was fired.

Gary Kubrick came in the very next season in 2015 and Broncos won the Super Bowl.

Edited by Billsflyer12
  • Like (+1) 2

On 6/17/2023 at 7:29 PM, ChicagoRic said:

Who is your replacement?  Who will absolutely, positively, 100%, be that "better" choice you are clamoring for?

I keep on hearing "McDermott is the problem."

Who is the solution? Someone actually available to be hired. 

Will be answered after the season if a Super Bowl appearance doesn’t happen.

2 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Joe Burrow is the reason.  A QB change to a franchise QB changes everything.  

And a team changing a coach after failing year after year can be a reason as well. Bills have the franchise QB in place.

The fact some think McDermott is some untouchable head coach is hilarious to me. Dude should be replaced if the Bills don’t get to the Super Bowl.

• Agree 1

Lou Anarumo is one that comes to mind.

If we want a defensive coach, might as well have one that can shut down a high powered offense in the playoffs (ours and KC).

The point is we could get anyone we want and there are always options.

Lets hope McDermott pulls it off this year. If not, I think he maybe has 1 more chance next year, then that’s it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 6/19/2023 at 8:20 PM, Billsflyer12 said:

John Fox was replaced in Denver after 3 seasons of 13-3, 13-3, 12-4.  He had a .719 winning % as Bronco head coach overall, but was 3-4 in playoffs and was fired.

Gary Kubrick came in the very next season in 2015 and Broncos won the Super Bowl.

Kubiak had a mediocre 82-75 W-L (.522) record as a head coach.  I'm not convinced that the Broncos won because of him.  In might be more in spite of him.  

Edited by hondo in seattle

23 hours ago, Billsflyer12 said:

Fantastic example. John Fox is a nearly perfect comparison.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Bengals have a defense that actually shows up in the playoffs. They haven't allowed more than 24 points in a playoff game these last 2 years

Same with the Chiefs. When you think of KC it's Mahomes, Kelce, Reid, their OL but their defense while not elite at least plays well enough to help them win 2 Super Bowl championships.

• Agree 1

According to the media - just pick any offensive coach in 2023. 

We don't count Nate Hackett, Adam Gase, Kevin Stefanski, Kliff Kingsbury and so on. 

And the media will always give you the insightful and helpful tip to "get someone who has shown they can develop a QB" because you didn't know that the QB mattered much in professional football. 

Edited by Straight Hucklebuck

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Bengals have a defense that actually shows up in the playoffs. They haven't allowed more than 24 points in a playoff game these last 2 years

Bengals have Lou Anarumo.

His in-game defensive adjustments are the stuff of legends.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

How about the Bills defense? 

Top rated D for several years. 

35 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Bengals have Lou Anarumo.

His in-game defensive adjustments are the stuff of legends.

Best in the game. However, he's likely to take a back seat to McD this year. 

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Because he is the only one who fits the narrative you’ve been driving?

John Fox is a great example but hardly the only example.

There is also Tony Dungy, who coached the Buccaneers from 1996 to 2001 and led them to the playoffs in four of his six seasons, but was unable to guide them to the Super Bowl and was fired. Jon Gruden took over the team and won a Super Bowl.

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

John Fox is a great example but hardly the only example.

There is also Tony Dungy, who coached the Buccaneers from 1996 to 2001 and led them to the playoffs in four of his six seasons, but was unable to guide them to the Super Bowl and was fired. Jon Gruden took over the team and won a Super Bowl.

Dungy has a ring.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Yes Peyton Manning dragged him to a ring.

Lol so you’re cool rolling the dice on Ben Johnson or whoever the cutest OC du jour might be if McD wins a ring elsewhere dragged or not?  Gruden burned hot but he burned things down.  Dungy, while not perfect, produced consistently good results.  Kind of like Reid before Mahomes dragged him huh?

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Dungy, while not perfect, produced consistently good results.  

This depends on your definition of good results.

The only goal of an NFL season is to win the Super Bowl. Not to win regular season games, not to lose in the divisional round, not to build a culture. Winning a Super Bowl... or bust. That's it.

2 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Kind of like Reid before Mahomes dragged him huh?

Not the same.

Reid was a good coach pre-Mahomes. He had been to NUMEROUS championship games, and a Super Bowl. And with a worse QB than Allen.

Dungy, like McDermott, was the king of divisional round or worse. The fact that he only got to 1 Super Bowl with Peyton freaking Manning is one of the most damning aspects of Dungy's career. And the fact that Gruden won Dungy's team a Super Bowl the year after Dungy was fired, puts the nail in Dungy's coaching coffin.

7 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The only goal of an NFL season is to win the Super Bowl. Not to win regular season games, not to lose in the divisional round, not to build a culture. Winning a Super Bowl... or bust. That's it.

Not the same.

Reid was a good coach pre-Mahomes. He had been to NUMEROUS championship games, and a Super Bowl. And with a worse QB than Allen.

Dungy, like McDermott, was the king of divisional round or worse. The fact that he only got to 1 Super Bowl with Peyton freaking Manning is one of the most damning aspects of Dungy's career. And the fact that Gruden won Dungy's team a Super Bowl the year after Dungy was fired, puts the nail in Dungy's coaching coffin.

Your two answers contradict each other.  Only goal is win Super Bpwl.  Reid is an exception because…….?????…….nonsense which directly contradicts a sentence typed four seconds earlier.

Why aren’t there 31 coaches fired every year?

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Not the same.

giphy.gif

2 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Lol so you’re cool rolling the dice on Ben Johnson or whoever the cutest OC du jour might be if McD wins a ring elsewhere dragged or not?  Gruden burned hot but he burned things down.  Dungy, while not perfect, produced consistently good results.  Kind of like Reid before Mahomes dragged him huh?

Who cares if McDermott wins a ring elsewhere if Buffalo gets one too?

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

Your two answers contradict each other.  Only goal is win Super Bpwl.  Reid is an exception 

There is no contradiction.

The only goal is to win a Super Bowl. That does not mean that only the Super Bowl winner has a good coach. I don’t know how you came to the conclusion that I was making that argument.

You mentioned that Reid is analogous to Dungy pre-franchise QB. And I pointed out that Reid, even before Mahomes, was far more successful than Dungy was prior to Manning. So the comparison was invalid.

And Philly was right to fire Reid.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

There is no contradiction.

The only goal is to win a Super Bowl. That does not mean that only the Super Bowl winner has a good coach. I don’t know how you came to the conclusion that I was making that argument.

You mentioned that Reid is analogous to Dungy pre-franchise QB. And I pointed out that Reid, even before Mahomes, was far more successful than Dungy was prior to Manning. So the comparison was invalid.

How could Reid have been “far more successful” if the “only goal” is to win a Super Bowl and he hadn’t.  He has one goal.  He hasn’t reached it.  How can someone else who also has only one goal be “less successful”?

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Who cares if McDermott wins a ring elsewhere if Buffalo gets one too?

Because Ben Johnson is cute?  Or something?

8 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

How could Reid have been “far more successful” if the “only goal” is to win a Super Bowl and he hadn’t.  He has one goal.  He hasn’t reached it.  How can someone else who also has only one goal be “less successful”?

While Reid didn't win a Super Bowl with Eagles, he did come close to getting there. Didn't his teams go to the NFC Championship game multiple times. If the Bills have another disappointing playoff this year, I do think the talk to replace McDermott with the fans and media will grow louder. Who knows what Terry would do if it comes to that.

16 minutes ago, Gregg said:

While Reid didn't win a Super Bowl with Eagles, he did come close to getting there. Didn't his teams go to the NFC Championship game multiple times. If the Bills have another disappointing playoff this year, I do think the talk to replace McDermott with the fans and media will grow louder. Who knows what Terry would do if it comes to that.

I’m just asking the poster named after someone who is smart.

He emphatically stated there is only one goal.  He then called someone who had not achieved that goal “successful”.  At least one of those statements is false.  

32 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Perhaps if I speak frat-bro you’ll better understand. Let’s say you and your buddy are trying to get laid at a party. That’s the goal. He gets to 3rd base and you barely get a kiss.

Neither of you reached your goal but your buddy was far more successful than you.

McDermott got the kiss. Reid got to 3rd base (pre-Mahomes).

23 minutes ago, Gregg said:

While Reid didn't win a Super Bowl with Eagles, he did come close to getting there.

Yes.  Three Championship games, and a Super Bowl appearance, if I remember correctly. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Perhaps if I speak frat-bro you’ll better understand. Let’s say you and your buddy are trying to get laid at a party. That’s the goal. He gets to 3rd base and you barely get a kiss.

Neither of you reached your goal but your buddy was far more successful than you.

McDermott got the kiss. Reid got to 3rd base (pre-Mahomes).

Your statements about goals and success are demonstrably incorrect and by definition in conflict with each other.  Bad analogies and projections of your youthful failures don’t change that.

Are you now saying that if McDermott makes the Super Bowl or AFCCG and lost he should be retained?  

How about if these coaches fail to make conference championship:

Salah

Taylor

Pederson

Staley

Reid

Adding in McD there are six coaches in the AFC with franchise QBs.  Maybe more depending on your assessment of Lamar, Tua, Deshaun, Wilson.  I’m willing to bet you that no more than two coaches from that list make the AFCCG this year.  Should the rest be summarily dismissed?  Are you willing to bet that three or more of the coaches above will make the championship game this year?  Are you willing to bet that two or more will make the Super Bowl this year?  If so, let me know the amount. 

1 minute ago, 4merper4mer said:

Your statements about goals and success are demonstrably incorrect

No, they are demonstrably correct. In your opinion, they are not irrefutably correct. 

and by definition in conflict with each other.

By no definition are they are in conflict.

Are you now saying that if McDermott makes the Super Bowl or AFCCG and lost he should be retained?  

I am not just *now* saying that. I have been saying that for months. The AFFCG is the bare minimum this year. The baseline.

How about if these coaches fail to make conference championship:

Salah

I would have fired him already.

Taylor

He has been in the last 2 AFFCG and a Super Bowl. His leash is much longer.

Pederson

He won a SB a few years ago. His leash is much longer.

Staley

Reid

He has won 2 of the last 4 SB’s.

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

No, they are demonstrably correct. In your opinion, they are not irrefutably correct. 

By no definition are they are in conflict.

I am not just *now* saying that. I have been saying that for months. The AFFCG is the bare minimum this year. The baseline.

He has been in the last 2 AFFCG and a Super Bowl. His leash is much longer.

He won a SB a few years ago. His leash is much longer.

He has won 2 of the last 4 SB’s.

Are you from Canada?

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Look man at this point I don't even care to keep arguing about it

all I'm saying is we have Reid-Mahomes-Kelce, Taylor-Burrow-Chase, and McDermott-Allen-Diggs and one of those isn't like the others

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.