To all the Fire McDermott Posters, a follow up question..

ChicagoRic

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

He'll make it because he was on a team that won 2 SBs and he's got the Manning name.

Maybe but I don't think he gets in on his first year of eligibility like Peyton who was obviously a slam dunk for the Hall.

17 hours ago, ngbills said:

Not many coaches would not make the playoffs with Allen and this roster. Winning in the playoffs has been the issue. Look what Tomlin has done in Pitt with way less talent. Or SF with no QB. 

I am not for firing him yet…but at some point maybe. 

Yeah. Looking at the playoff games under McDermott I don’t see a lot of impressive wins.

2017: Lost to Jags 10-3 with Tyrod

2018: Missed playoffs 

2019: Blew 17 point lead in WC against the Texicans

2020: Narrowly beat the corpse of Phillip Rivers 27-24. Then IMO had their best PO win of the regime beating the Ravens 17-3. Notably Jackson missed a chunk of that game and and it took at 100+ yard INT return by Tauron Johnson to be the deciding factor. Then we lost to the Chefs 38-24 in the AFCC game.

2021: Stomped a Mac Jones led Cheatriots 47-17. Could also be considered this regime’s best PO game. It was against Mac Jones, but the team was just about perfect. Followed that up with the 13 seconds debacle. 

2022: Unimpressively beat the Skylar Thompson led Phish  34-31. Crapped the bed against Cincy 27-10. 

Obviously this regimes as at least this season to improve. Maybe next as well. But there isn’t much to do now but root for it to happen. But I need to see more in the playoffs to be a believer again. There’s no shortage of coaches that could make it into the playoffs and beat up on the also-rans with Allen and this roster. 

34 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Winning one certainly does elevate everyone including coaches. 

It means you achieved a rare feat and you are automatically elevated to another level. 

It proves you can rise to another level. It's a pretty big deal. 

Not sure how much football you have watched. Payton was pretty much known to be an excellent offensive coach. One of the best in the game. 

Him and Breeze were pretty special. The Saints offense was dynamic and innovative. 

I believe an Allen and Payton combination would be similar to Mahomes and Reid. Allen and McD doesn't neatly move the needle. 

As for defense, the McD defense has been unable to make the needed stops come playoff time. 

Um, I’ve watched a decent amount of football. We are in lockstep on this. Dwayne Casey won Coach of the Year for the Raptors and was dismissed that same year. They replaced him with Nick Nurse and won a title. Obviously, Kawhi was a HUGE reason why but it says something that they thought change was needed regardless of how it looked from the outside. This is similar IMO.

McDermott is okay. The Bills have a great QB and a really strong roster. A lot of people could produce the results that he has to this point. He gets credit for creating a culture and stabilizing. At this point though, he should be on the hot seat. This team is built to win the Super Bowl. He has not gotten there yet and has been outcoached in the playoffs the last few years. If he doesn’t get it done this year someone else should have the opportunity. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Um, I’ve watched a decent amount of football. We are in lockstep on this. Dwayne Casey won Coach of the Year for the Raptors and was dismissed that same year. They replaced him with Nick Nurse and won a title. Obviously, Kawhi was a HUGE reason why but it says something that they thought change was needed regardless of how it looked from the outside. This is similar IMO.

McDermott is okay. The Bills have a great QB and a really strong roster. A lot of people could produce the results that he has to this point. He gets credit for creating a culture and stabilizing. At this point though, he should be on the hot seat. This team is built to win the Super Bowl. He has not gotten there yet and has been outcoached in the playoffs the last few years. If he doesn’t get it done this year someone else should have the opportunity. 

McDermott built this. He built the program. It’s his. 

For example let’s take Ken Dorsey. If he has 2-3 years of top 5 offenses but they fail in the playoffs I would say let’s move on. Dorsey didn’t build anything. He inherited a top 5 offense. See the difference?

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Very well stated. 👍

On 6/17/2023 at 9:29 PM, ChicagoRic said:

Who is your replacement?  Who will absolutely, positively, 100%, be that "better" choice you are clamoring for?

I keep on hearing "McDermott is the problem."

Who is the solution? Someone actually available to be hired. 

Exactly.  McD earned the keys to the team.  Period.  Not his fault the Bills did not live up to expectations last season.  

• Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Exactly.  McD earned the keys to the team.  Period.  Not his fault the Bills did not live up to expectations last season.  

Not entirely his fault. However, he gets his fair share of the blame. How much is debatable but to dismiss him of fault is ludicrous. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, newcam2012 said:

Not entirely his fault. However, he gets his fair share of the blame. How much is debatable but to dismiss him of fault is ludicrous. 

He was outcoached in both playoff games last year. If the Dolphins didn't have a scrub at QB then there is a decent chance they don't advance to play the Bengals.

• Agree 3

30 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Maybe but I don't think he gets in on his first year of eligibility like Peyton who was obviously a slam dunk for the Hall.

I think he'll be first ballot.  I would not put money on it though.

17 minutes ago, jethro_tull said:

Yup.  It was a nightmare season both on and off the field.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gregg said:

He was outcoached in both playoff games last year. If the Dolphins didn't have a scrub at QB then there is a decent chance they don't advance to play the Bengals.

That game was weird because it should’ve been like 31-3 Buffalo in the 2nd quarter.

I think outplayed also. Players didn’t play well.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That game was weird because it should’ve been like 31-3 Buffalo in the 2nd quarter.

It definitely looked like it. The Bills shot themselves in foot. In the 2nd half the Dolphins had the momentum but the Bills still escaped with a win. If Tua played I am not so sure the Bills win.

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

It definitely looked like it. The Bills shot themselves in foot. In the 2nd half the Dolphins had the momentum but the Bills still escaped with a win. If Tua played I am not so sure the Bills win.

Who knows. Maybe the Bills play it differently with Tua playing. Bills did some strange things on defense that let the Dolphins WR get behind them. Not a typical thing for a Bills defense. Poyer had a terrible game.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

McDermott's biggest losses come to teams at least as good as the Bills. Harbaugh's are almost all against less talented teams (CFB playoff to Georgia and 2nd NFCCG to Seattle excluded).

Exactly! I have asked in 2 different threads which playoff game did McD lose to a team that wasn't at least as talented and nobody has answered.

He wins the games he should and there are plenty of coaches including Reid who have very poor performances.  

Here are some Andy Reid stats framed in the mcd bashing style:

In a 10 year span from 09-18 he had 2 playoff wins and missed the playoffs 3 times in that span.  Quick math had him at 2-7 for those 10 years.

He got bounced by the cowboys 34-14 in the wild card round in 09.  How about his own 27-10 loss to a buccaneers team he had beat by 10 in the regular season in 02.

For the first 20 years of his career he had 0 super bowl wins.

I could do this for every coach in the Nfl.  

Edited by section122

On 6/17/2023 at 9:47 PM, NewEra said:

He’s the only reason I would’ve been ok with firing McDermott after last season.  I don’t think McD deserved to get fired and I think he’s a good coach.  I just think Johnson might just the perfect fit for Josh allen.  

This x1000

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

How can you talk winning multiple championships when McD and Beane haven't even sniffed a SB appearance during their Bills tenure. 

That seems beyond optimistic to me. 

Cam and me will lead the charge to get McClap out of here folks.

Right now, brother Cam and me are the villains on this board.

We’ll be heroes and get the key to the city like TO once we get an offensive replacement HC in here to win multiple Lombardi’s with out star QB.

Take it to the bank.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, jethro_tull said:

And another follow-up

Are you willing to take a few steps back while the new coaches learn on the job and the players learn the new systems?  

This isn't like the NBA.  At all.  

Steps back? Learn on job?

Holy smokes people wake up.

Vikes fired Mike Zimmer who btw is twice the coach of McDermott, and had best record in league at one point with KIRK COUSINS!

My gosh Josh Allen is good for 10+ wins alone. Add in a brilliant offensive mind at the helm building AROUND JOSH and we could be KC 2.0.

Wake the heck up folks!

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, McBean said:

Steps back? Learn on job?

Holy smokes people wake up.

Vikes fired Mike Zimmer who btw is twice the coach of McDermott, and had best record in league at one point with KIRK COUSINS!

My gosh Josh Allen is good for 10+ wins alone. Add in a brilliant offensive mind at the helm building AROUND JOSH and we could be KC 2.0.

Wake the heck up folks!

Can’t even debate with people like this.

• Dislike 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Probably because you think your opinion is facts.

You love Sean. We get it.

I don’t like the guy. Think he’s as “meh” as they come, and feel like any coach in the league could do what he’s done with Josh Allen at QB.

I’m right so far by saying he’s tapped out here and won’t lead us to the Lombardi. Does that change this year? Does ever do it here? My bet is no.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.