All-Pro DT Chris Jones not at Chiefs Mandatory Minicamp

Big Turk

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Lets go Lions.. Saw a stat - with Jones KC was like 5 or 6th in pressure.  Without him they're 28th. Plus Clark is gone..

Yeah, he changes their defense.  I'm curious to see how much the line moves when it's announced he's not playing.

And this is likely his last contract.  I can see him missing half the season and then becoming an UFA next year.

Crazy but I actually think this could be the thread that unravels the Chiefs 23 season. More points given up, means defense spends more time on field, offense less. Chiefs O will need to score even more points with less clock, putting strain on aging TE Kelce. Mahomes can make magic happen, but he’s not a God, just a magician. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This article from Over The Cap sheds some light on why the Chiefs and Chris Jones are so far apart:

https://overthecap.com/thoughts-on-the-chiefs-offer-to-chris-jones

Essentially teams always value contracts based on new money given out above the player's current contract, not on the total value of the new contract. Under that system of valuation, what Chris Jones is asking for exceeds the value that Aaron Donald got in his most recent contract. The Chiefs don't want to pay him more than Aaron Donald so the two sides are not close right now.

Either way he will have to report in week 8 to get credit for the final year of his contract so this won't completely tank their season, but if we're lucky they'll start off slower than anticipated.

Edited by HappyDays

25 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Having helped that city win two Super Bowls in recent years I don't see him feeling bad about holding out, barring some change I'd expect him to follow through with what he said he'd do.

I don't either.  He'll get paid ~$10M by missing half the season and returning in time to accrue a season to get to UFA.  The ~$10M he loses will be more than made up for many times over in his next contract with another team.

• Like (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Dr.Sack said:

Crazy but I actually think this could be the thread that unravels the Chiefs 23 season. More points given up, means defense spends more time on field, offense less. Chiefs O will need to score even more points with less clock, putting strain on aging TE Kelce. Mahomes can make magic happen, but he’s not a God, just a magician. 

Yes and no. I mean, it will hurt them if he sticks to his word and sits until week 8 if no agreement is made. But if he finally reports then he will be plenty fresh and rested for the playoff run and beyond.  8 weeks of bumps, bruises and exhaustion taken away and fresh as a daisy.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Yes and no. I mean, it will hurt them if he sticks to his word and sits until week 8 if no agreement is made. But if he finally reports then he will be plenty fresh and rested for the playoff run and beyond.  8 weeks of bumps, bruises and exhaustion taken away and fresh as a daisy.

But for the weeks he is gone that does damage to the rest of the roster. See 22 Bills after Von went down. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.