All-Pro DT Chris Jones not at Chiefs Mandatory Minicamp

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

But for the weeks he is gone that does damage to the rest of the roster. See 22 Bills after Von went down. 

Valid. It will have some bearing for the first 8 weeks. However the major difference here as after Von went down...he didn't come back for the playoff run. So their defense will be vulnerable in the beginning of the season. So what? 2 of those first 8 games are against Denver. Another against the Bears. And they have enough offensive firepower to go 5-3 or 6-2 over that time IMO.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Valid. It will have some bearing for the first 8 weeks. However the major difference here as after Von went down...he didn't come back for the playoff run. So their defense will be vulnerable in the beginning of the season. So what? 2 of those first 8 games are against Denver. Another against the Bears. And they have enough offensive firepower to go 5-3 or 6-2 over that time IMO.

My argument is simply without Jones that stresses the team defense has to be on the field more, exposing more guys to injuries, and on offense Mahomes will need to score more points per game, and likely have less game clock to do it. The opponents matter and I get he will return, my hope is he returns to a lesser version of the team than they will be Week 1. 

8 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Lets go Lions.. Saw a stat - with Jones KC was like 5 or 6th in pressure.  Without him they're 28th. Plus Clark is gone..

Charles Omenihu, who they signed in FA, is suspended 1st 6 games.  Don't know how much they were counting on him; 4.5 sacks, 16 QB hits, 1 PD and 1 forced fumble last season.

34 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Charles Omenihu, who they signed in FA, is suspended 1st 6 games.  Don't know how much they were counting on him; 4.5 sacks, 16 QB hits, 1 PD and 1 forced fumble last season.

Jones, who is holding out, and Clark and Dunlap, who are gone, accounted for 24.5 sacks for them last year. Omenihu could have replaced one of the latter two's production.

Edited by Doc

18 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He’s a beast. I think he’s a nice upgrade over Clark at this strange of their careers

35 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm not sure he's an upgrade; I think 4.5 -5 sacks and 13-16 QB hits was Clark's production last 2 years

Similar production 2020 and 2022 from Omenihu

And AJ Epenesa had 6.5 sacks….. yet Omenihu is better than epenesa.  

but your entitled to disagree. 

I watch every niner game.  Dude was a beast last year.  I’ll take him over Clark present time 

3 minutes ago, NewEra said:

And AJ Epenesa had 6.5 sacks….. yet Omenihu is better than epenesa.  

but your entitled to disagree. 

I watch every niner game.  Dude was a beast last year.  I’ll take him over Clark present time 

I haven't watched every niner game so I have no visual basis to disagree.

Did you watch every chiefs game to compare Clark?

Anyway, looks like Omenihu is gonna be lacking that "best ability is availability" trait for the first 6 games.

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Anyway, looks like Omenihu is gonna be lacking that "best ability is availability" trait for the first 6 games.

Yeah.  A little too much "beast."

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

No, I didn’t watch every chief game but none of my chief fan friends are sad to see him go even though he earned his pay in the playoffs. 

I think his play could fall off a cliff this year

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

No, I didn’t watch every chief game but none of my chief fan friends are sad to see him go even though he earned his pay in the playoffs. 

I think his play could fall off a cliff this year

Maybe my perception of Clark is colored by playoffs since that would be like 2/3 of the Chiefs games I watched

IIRC the Texans "Boogie'd" Omenihu by flipping him to the Niners for a following year 6th.   I'll take your word on his beastliness, but is some of that caused by playing with Nick Bosa?

13 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

My argument is simply without Jones that stresses the team defense has to be on the field more, exposing more guys to injuries, and on offense Mahomes will need to score more points per game, and likely have less game clock to do it. The opponents matter and I get he will return, my hope is he returns to a lesser version of the team than they will be Week 1. 

plus guys that hold out often have soft tissue injuries when they return because they are going from gym workouts to game speed instantly 

10 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Maybe my perception of Clark is colored by playoffs since that would be like 2/3 of the Chiefs games I watched

IIRC the Texans "Boogie'd" Omenihu by flipping him to the Niners for a following year 6th.   I'll take your word on his beastliness, but is some of that caused by playing with Nick Bosa?

Is it the reason he was good in SF?  No.  But as your question asks…. “Is SOME” of that caused by playing with Bosa…… of course SOME of it is.  

Edited by NewEra

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.