Colin Cowherd at it again

I'm Spartacus

7 hours ago, Billl said:

He gave Oliver a big new contract.  Was that really the best possible use of resources?

It was if they were planning on resigning him, which may have been the case all along

7 hours ago, Success said:

Did he really say we did nothing on the offensive side?  

That's quite a take.

People like coward don’t really follow the team that closely he’s probably saying that because we didn’t go out and big DeAndre Hopkins to sign a huge contract

7 hours ago, Billl said:

He gave Oliver a big new contract.  Was that really the best possible use of resources?

Olivers "big new contract" reduced his cap hit this year and got him for cheaper that what this year's cap hit was for next year as well. Plus has a reasonable out following that year. He then took that money and signed arguably the best vet pass rusher left on the market which was an area many here agreed they needed help at.

So, yes it was an excellent use of resources.

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

It was if they were planning on resigning him, which may have been the case all along

But isn’t that an example of management by inertia?  If Oliver wasn’t already on the team, I can’t think of a single poster who would have been advocating for bringing him to Buffalo for that contract.  IMO, the dropoff between Oliver and a random DT acquired for $2 million would be minimal compared to what that money could have done for the offensive line or a WR.  

That’s the type of move he’s talking about.  Signing Poyer to another deal didn’t make the defense better.  It just brought back an even older version of the same guy.  Extending Oliver didn’t improve the D-Line.  It just brought back a more expensive version of the same guy.  He could have drafted someone to fill Poyer’s spot, signed someone cheap to fill Oliver’s spot, and re-allocated those resources to fill holes on offense while getting younger on the back end of the defense.  That strategy seems more effective than holding onto expensive and/or declining veterans on defense.

18 hours ago, Beck Water said:

He's not wrong, obviously it's factual, that the Bills are the #2 spending team in the NFL on D, though given that it's not even training camp yet, it remains to be seen how things shake out on 53 man rosters across the league. But we're actually spending more of the cap (52.23%) on offense than on defense (51.85%)  So pointing out the #2 spending team on defense, prior to training camp, seems like one of those "true but what does it mean?" facts.

"Nothing to bolster the offensive side of the ball" is just plain wrong.  1st round pick, Kincaid, TE  2nd round pick, O'Cyrus Torrence, OG  Our 2 biggest FA acquisitions were on offense - Connor McGovern, OG for $22.35M and Deonte Hardy for $9.5M.  One can debate whether they're the RIGHT offensive acquisitions, but not whether the Bills in fact tried to bolster the offense.

I don't think it is as simple as you make it appear.

Since 2017 (when McDermott took over the team) the Bills have had 7 first round draft choices (including of course the one in which he traded away the Mahomes pick and drafted a cornerback). 5 of them were used on defensive players and 2 went to the offensive side. Out of the 5 defenders chosen he actually traded up twice. In 2020 we had no first round pick and our second round pick was yet another defensive player. It seems to me that this is a very odd and rather dumb way to build a team that has a quarterback with generational talent.

I like what he did in the 2023 draft and I hope that it works because McDermott has neglected the offense, or at the very least dedicated too much of our best resources (huge contracts and 1st round draft choices) to the defense. For decades the Bills have neglected the offensive line and it has never made any sense. Now, I truly do hope that his offseason moves to bolster the OL will be enough, 6 years into his stay here.

The Bills need better blocking and receivers. They need to provide Josh with protection and weapons, not focus on defense in an offensive sport.

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/bills

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Success said:

Did he really say we did nothing on the offensive side?  

That's quite a take.

Many of you follow this much much closer than I do. Seeing as how the Bills are clearly chasing the Bengals and Chiefs in the AFC arms race…what if any offensive moves did either of them make this offseason? 

Just like most sports personalities, Cowherd is all about riling up fans so they pay attention to him.

This offseason, he's clearing getting some traction by ripping on Buffalo.  So he's going to keep doing it.

As usual, there are some good points that he makes.  For instance, how the Bills haven't done a good enough job surrounding Josh Allen with offensive weapons and blocking over the last few years.  That is very true.  But he then follows that with lazy and uneducated nonsense (the Bills have done NOTHING all offseason to help the offense...), which make him appear like a total idiot who doesn't even pay attention to what he's talking about.

The Bills spent their #1 and #2 draft picks to select the consensus top receiving Tight End in the draft, and the consensus top Guard in the draft.  Even the most negative NFL observer could probably admit that at least counts for doing something to help the O-Line and weapons.  And even if you don't like the players, the Bills also went out and signed three O-Line starters from other teams.  

Time will tell whether Brandon Beane's moves are enough.  But it's almost like Cowherd expected the Bills to trade for Justin Jefferson, Davante Adams, Trent Williams or Quentin Nelson... otherwise we didn't address the positions.  And that's just a stupid take.

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, I'm Spartacus said:

Today, Cowherd is beating his drum again about his dislike of defensive minded coaches. He brought up the Bills again, saying they are the 2nd highest paying team on defense in the NFL. His take (again) is we did nothing to bolster the offensive side of the ball. I definitely think we did. Your thoughts?

To say we did nothing to bolster the offense is admitting he doesn't even know the roster moves we made.

The O-line should be better.

The backfield is more robust and versatile with bigger backs who can grind short yardage.

The WR room is better.  We had to pull 2 guys in their 30s out of retirement for crying out loud last season.

The addition of Kincaid to this offense cannot be overlooked. He's a mismatch nightmare.

Ken Dorsey is the real wild card here.  In his 2nd season, let's have some confidence he can bring it all together.

Edited by Billz4ever

Colin Cowherd along with every other media outlet knows that any mention of the Bills and the fans go nuts. TV and Internet sites know that if they want viewer interaction then just mention anything about the Bills. I like Colin but he's so hypocritical that it's comical at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Since 2017 (when McDermott took over the team) the Bills have had 7 first round draft choices (including of course the one in which he traded away the Mahomes pick and drafted a cornerback). 5 of them were used on defensive players and 2 went to the offensive side. Out of the 5 defenders chosen he actually traded up twice. In 2020 we had no first round pick and our second round pick was yet another defensive player. It seems to me that this is a very odd and rather dumb way to build a team that has a quarterback with generational talent.

I like what he did in the 2023 draft and I hope that it works because McDermott has neglected the offense, or at the very least dedicated too much of our best resources (huge contracts and 1st round draft choices) to the defense. For decades the Bills have neglected the offensive line and it has never made any sense. Now, I truly do hope that his offseason moves to bolster the OL will be enough, 6 years into his stay here.

The Bills need better blocking and receivers. They need to provide Josh with protection and weapons, not focus on defense in an offensive sport.

I was addressing Cowherd’s points that the fact we’re currently #2 in defensive spending (even though actual offensive cap spending is higher) combined with FA and draft moves means we’ve done “nothing” to bolster the offense.  I disagree, and it sounds as though for this year you do too.

I don’t think the draft investment is as straightforward as you paint it either.  For example, the reason we had no 1st round pick in 2020 was a trade for an excellent WR.  But that topic has been done to death.  Probably the best analysis was “Skarekrow” at Buffalo Rumblings-I’ll try to find his link later, if you haven’t seen it overall worth a read.  He concludes that yes  draft investment has been skewed to defense.  

But part of the picture is that our high offensive draft picks haven’t panned out.  If Zay Jones, Cody Ford, and Zach Moss were ballin’ for us, I think we’d see it differently.  I worry less that the offensive investment is insufficient and more that it’s gone to the wrong players, indicating our offensive talent scouting is not up to par.

Edited by Beck Water

4 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I was addressing Cowherd’s points that the fact we’re currently #2 in defensive spending (even though actual offensive cap spending is higher) combined with FA and draft moves means we’ve done “nothing” to bolster the offense.

I don’t think the draft investment is as straightforward as you paint it either.  For example, the reason we had no 1st round pick in 2020 was a trade for an excellent WR.  But that topic has been done to death.  Probably the best analysis was “Skarekrow” at Buffalo Rumblings-I’ll try to find his link later, if you haven’t seen it overall worth a read.  He concludes that yes  draft investment has been skewed to defense.  

But part of the picture is that our high offensive draft picks haven’t panned out.  If Zay Jones, Cody Ford, and Zach Moss were ballin’ for us, I think we’d see it differently.

Thanks, I would like to read that article. And while I do respect the moves that were made this offseason, I remain just a bit peeved over the years of neglect wrt WRs and the OL.

For the record, I think that you and others will grow to appreciate Damien Harris this season. He is by no means a superstar but between his running, receivng, and his bg time willingness to block, he might be capable of winning us a game or 2. 

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Diggs was also our "first round draft choice" in 2020.

12 hours ago, cba fan said:

completely different era long long gone 🤷‍♂️🙄🤷‍♂️

Um hoodie is still coaching and seems a little lost without a franchise qb 🙄🙄🙄

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

Many of you follow this much much closer than I do. Seeing as how the Bills are clearly chasing the Bengals and Chiefs in the AFC arms race…what if any offensive moves did either of them make this offseason? 

They aren’t chasing the Chiefs they’ve beaten the Chiefs. They are chasing the Bengals as the Bengals just kicked the crap out of their vaunted defense to the tune of 30 first downs. 

4 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

His resume without Tom Brady is abysmal, which is also a fact.

True, but the point is that he is a defensive minded coach, and they won a lot. Would the Bills be as good as they are without Allen, highly doubtful. The Bills can win with a defensive minded coach and a superstar QB the same as the Patriots once did. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.