Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

1 minute ago, BarleyNY said:

I understand that DTs, especially ones that can provide a decent pass rush, are scarce. Oliver is a good DT, but even with that said I don’t get $17M AAV on the extension. There’s no way to look at that and not see a substantial overpay. 

sounds like its actually 15.75 million making him the 16th highest paid interior defensive lineman.  Are there 15 better 3 technique Defensive tackles in the league?

The bills have no dt signed for next year except Oliver.  Its unreasonable to think you would be able to sign 2 or 3 above average DT's who are free agents and draft 2 more in one offseason.  Its going to be hard enough with oliver still here.

also it sounds like he may have an opt out after the 3rd year which is an incentive for the player and maybe why he signed the extension right now.

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

Not sure how you infer that.

Coaches and front offices disagree all the time.

The Titans front office literally traded WR AJ Brown to Philly last year despite Head Coach Vrabel railing against it. After AJ Brown went off the next season, they fired the GM for making the wrong choice and Vrabel got a status boost.

In short, it is a collaboration with this team.

• Agree 1

From Joe Buscaglia's article:

The Bills could be perceived as taking a slight risk on a defensive tackle with only 14.5 sacks through his first four seasons, but that risk was baked into his cost a bit. ESPN’s reported extension amount was $68 million before full guarantees and signing bonuses are revealed in the contract details when signed. But when that’s combined with the $10.753 million from the fifth-year option, it would bring it to an average annual value of $15.75 million over the five years, which is presently the 16th highest among interior defensive linemen.             

It makes it look far more manageable and brings the risk down slightly while guaranteeing the Bills keep a player they believe in. The team also didn’t have a single defensive tackle signed past 2023, so that made it an even bigger emphasis to get this done sooner rather than later. If Oliver’s flashes of brilliance become more impactful on the stat sheet, this contract could look like a great deal two or three years later, with Oliver still in his prime. But Oliver has to continue to prove he’s worth such a significant investment over the next few seasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Process said:

If they wanted the cap space this year cutting him would have been a much better option

It might have been, but then it would have left them short a DT until they signed someone from whatever is left and had no other DTs on the books after this year.

Like I said, I'm not as down on him but still not exactly in favor of the extension unless it ends up getting us something else.

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Not sure how you infer that.

Coaches and front offices disagree all the time.

The Titans front office literally traded WR AJ Brown to Philly last year despite Head Coach Vrabel railing against it. After AJ Brown went off the next season, they fired the GM for making the wrong choice and Vrabel got a status boost.

So, you think McDermott and his coaches are against the move? I highly doubt that. Beane would not extend Oliver unless McDermott was on board.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

A month ago I said we should extend him, because if he balls out like an Edmunds year last year.. we would not afford him... I GOT SLAMMED for it. 

@LABILLBACKER yep.. the person that just gave me the eye roll knows he was one of them ha ha.. that is ok.. we go back and forth.. 2/3rds of the time your right... the last third i am right. all good bro lol

Adding Poona Ford and holding onto DaQuan Jones means that Oliver can play more to his skills. I expect the coaches think he’s likely to have a breakout year and this would lock him in under what he’d get on the open market.

It also, I believe, creates cap space for this year if they want to go get someone. 

It’s a gamble but I don’t mind the risk. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Your delusional if you think this is on McD. The Bills analytic team goes over these things... McD and his staff goes over these things... Claiming a HC is underperforming Defensive players over anything on offense is really every part of wrong. 

The only thing delusional about you Prime is your love affair with Edmunds and Oliver.  Two underperforming 1st rounders. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

So, you think McDermott and his coaches are against the move? I highly doubt that. Beane would not extend Oliver unless McDermott was on board.

I honestly dont know. 

I'm just saying, it's not like we haven't seen plenty of examples of front offices doing things the coach doesnt agree with.

Part of me wonders whether McD is actually in charge. But in that scenario, does Beane approve of this deal?

• Eyeroll 1

40 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Because he's the new whipping boy of the board now that Edmunds is gone. This place isn't happy unless they have at least 1 player every year that they can spew hyperbole about how terrible they are and chase them out of town with pitchforks.

Like I said all season, him being extended was the most likely outcome. He was NEVER going to be traded. 

He wasn't going to be traded because the Bills wouldn't get anything of value for him. So you are correct there. 

This move is beyond questionable. 

So we won't even get "contract year" effort out of him this year. What has he done to deserve $17 million a year? 

They talk a big game about prioritizing the trenches, but they keep filling them with mediocre, overpaid talent.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

He wasn't going to be traded because the Bills wouldn't get anything of value for him. So you are correct there. 

This move is beyond questionable. 

"No one else wants him sir"

"Great, give him a big contract extension"

Sounds like something the drought-era Bills would do.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.