Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

13 minutes ago, Beast said:

Huh. A lot of money for a guy that hasn’t made a play that changed a game in my memory.

Here’s a memory that’s just 6 months old. He garnered a Safety at Detroit last Thanksgiving that contributed to a tie game with just seconds to play. Allen cleaned up with a brilliant long completion to Diggs and Bass split the uprights at 0:00 remaining.

Am I happy about this lengthy expensive extension given his lack of big plays? No. Do I call the shots at OBD? No. 

So be it.🤷‍♂️

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

Because he's the new whipping boy of the board now that Edmunds is gone. This place isn't happy unless they have at least 1 player every year that they can spew hyperbole about how terrible they are and chase them out of town with pitchforks.

Like I said all season, him being extended was the most likely outcome. He was NEVER going to be traded. 

do you really think that fans in general or posters here actually "chase players out of town"?

I mean, that has to be spewed hyperbole, right?  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

6 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Here’s a memory that’s just 6 months old. He garnered a Safety at Detroit last Thanksgiving that contributed to a tie game with just seconds to play. Allen cleaned up with a brilliant long completion to Diggs and Bass split the uprights at 0:00 remaining.

Am I happy about this lengthy expensive extension given his lack of big plays? No. Do I call the shots at OBD? No. 

So be it.🤷‍♂️

Darn

• Haha (+1) 1

I’m guessing that the FO feels what we’ve seen from him is his floor and that 17M will be manageable to absorb if that’s the worst case scenario.  

Clearly banking on locking him in and him breaking out. 

I’ve seen nothing from him to make me think he will become a focal dominant piece to build around on the DL, but the staff must believe it’s there… because you don’t drop this kind of money on a guy you can’t count on to make plays independent of the talent level around him.  

It’s not top of the line, and Quinnen/Jones will blow his payday away, but it’s still a lot of money on a team that’s paying a franchise QB.  

Legitimately shocked to see this extension before the season starts. 

• Like (+1) 3

24 minutes ago, Augie said:

I love this, if just for the entertainment value on the Board! It should be priceless!!! One for the ages, even!  😋

Yea, So much for Ed Oliver "not having anything above his shoulders" huh? lol

Also.. so much for trading him to get  D'Hop lol

Edited by PrimeTime101

25 minutes ago, MWK said:

Laughable. Can’t wait to hear the justification for this from the fanboys. 17 million a year for a guy who doesn’t produce? That is a contract for a great DT, not Ed Oliver. Brandon Beane continues to pay and overrate players he drafted.

Look, I'm not high on Ed Oliver either.  However, him only costing $17M a year is a steal.  That ranks him 11th on the pay scale at his position, and this doesn't include players like Quinnen Williams.  It's not like the Bills backed up the brinks truck for him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Process said:

The only good thing about having Oliver take up 10 million in cap space this year, was that it was a contract year and he may finally live up to his draft status.

Yeah I thought letting him play out a contract year was the best possible outcome. This is a head scratcher for me. It feels like Beane panicked after Lawrence and Simmons signed their deals and wanted to make sure Oliver got done before Quinnen Williams. I feel that Oliver does not have the natural desire to be one of the greatest at his position so I would have left his incentive on the table.

If we're doing this as a means to clear up cap space to afford Hopkins this year then I can get behind on it. But even in that scenario this extension will give us less cap space to offer Hopkins in 2024.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.