Ed Oliver big extension

HappyDays

6 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

sounds like its actually 15.75 million making him the 16th highest paid interior defensive lineman.  Are there 15 better 3 technique Defensive tackles in the league?

The bills have no dt signed for next year except Oliver.  Its unreasonable to think you would be able to sign 2 or 3 above average DT's who are free agents and draft 2 more in one offseason.  Its going to be hard enough with oliver still here.

also it sounds like he may have an opt out after the 3rd year which is an incentive for the player and maybe why he signed the extension right now.

I think that 15th best is in the ball park of where Oliver is.  If he plays well than this deal is a steal for Buffalo.  If he plays the same way he has over the past few seasons then atleast it’s not a tremendous overpay

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

I honestly dont know. 

I'm just saying, it's not like we haven't seen plenty of examples of front offices doing things the coach doesnt agree with.

Part of me wonders whether McD is actually in charge. But in that scenario, does Beane approve of this deal?

Do you actually believe Sean McDermott did not want to keep his 3 technique Defensive tackle? That is usually the most important position on the line.  

They made a move with ford to make sure Oliver can play his 3T position.  There is zero percent chance the head coach/defensive coordinator did not want to extend him.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

17 minutes ago, Capco said:

But if Oliver lives up to his potential and blows it out of the water, then we have a top 10 DT on a very reasonable contract.  If he doesn't, then we still have a decent DT and can probably move on in 3 years.

The risk-reward balance is a factor.  If you have a crystal ball and know with absolute certainty that Oliver will never get any better, then it would seem obvious that this wasn't a good move.  

Where was he vs the Bengals 2nd and 3rd stringers come playoff time? 

I've seen 4 years of Oliver with very mixed results. He doesn't suck nor is he elite. His inconsistencies are very frustrating. I just think you don't pay a guy that kind of money after seeing what he's done in the previous years. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Finally a move worthy of our standard knee-jerk overreactions. 

This one is absolutely bizarre, Beane. I literally can’t figure out how this makes sense. Ed ***** Oliver is now a top 10 paid DT in the NFL??? For what ***** reason? I can count on two fingers how many truly impactful/game-changer Sundays he had - and I’d be left with one lonely finger. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Einstein said:

"No one else wants him sir"

"Great, give him a big contract extension"

Sounds like something the drought-era Bills would do.

Where is the no one wants him thing coming from?  DT are in demand all over the league.  There are not enough good ones and the draft every year does not produce that many.  He would have a market he was an UFA.

I'm assuming this frees up money/cap space this season (hopefully to sign a player that will be a contributor this season)

Very surprised that this happened now, think it will work out though. 

The contract on the initial look, appears to be one that can be very manipulated to free up space going forward. 4 years 68 million with 45 guaranteed. Likely will have the opportunity each season to restructure and get his cap hit down 

1 minute ago, MikePJ76 said:

Do you actually believe Sean McDermott did not want to keep his 3 technique Defensive tackle? That is usually the most important position on the line.  

They made a move with ford to make sure Oliver can play his 3T position.  There is zero percent chance the head coach/defensive coordinator did not want to extend him.

Einstein's first name is Not.

Just now, stevestojan said:

Finally a move worthy of our standard knee-jerk overreactions. 

This one is absolutely bizarre, Beane. I literally can’t figure out how this makes sense. Ed ***** Oliver is now a top 10 paid DT in the NFL??? For what ***** reason? I can count on two fingers how many truly impactful/game-changer Sundays he had - and I’d be left with one lonely finger. 

he is not a top ten paid DT.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

Where is the no one wants him thing coming from?  DT are in demand all over the league.  There are not enough good ones and the draft every year does not produce that many.  He would have a market he was an UFA.

Did you bother to read the post I was responding to?

When I saw it was 4 years for $68M I said “wow!” and started laughing. Here’s the thing, I like Ed Oliver when he’s “on,” but he’s had far too many games where he’s simply invisible. If you had asked me which one I prefer to re-sign between him and Edmunds, I definitely would’ve chosen Oliver because his best games are better than Tremaine’s best games. The Dallas Cowpoke Thanksgiving game, the Detroit Lions Thanksgiving game, one of the Jets games, he was unblockable in those 3. But those are the only 3 games in his four year career where I can remember him looking like Warren Sapp. I just wish we saw that disruption more often. 

• Agree 1

Well I would have lost alot if money if someone would have asked to bet. Seems next off-season the price wouldn't have been much more.

Oh well, I'll hope he performs as he will be a big part of the team for a minute now. 

Still can't fathom how many 1st round picks we have had on defense and all the money tied up in it to play like crap when it matters.

• Like (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

This will teach us all not to read between the lines when it comes to Eric Washington commenting on Oliver. 

Mr. Beane: "Hey, Ed!  Want to see Coach Washington's head and TSW implode?!"

Mr. Oliver:  "Sure, Mr. B!"

😁

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I understand that DTs, especially ones that can provide a decent pass rush, are scarce. Oliver is a good DT, but even with that said I don’t get $17M AAV on the extension. There’s no way to look at that and not see a substantial overpay. 

To be completely honest… I thought the $10m he was getting paid this year was an overpay..

• Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.