Stadium Construction Discussion (No PSL/Seat selection posts)

JÂy RÛßeÒ

On 5/1/2024 at 9:15 AM, PromoTheRobot said:

IMG-20240501-091234-770.jpg

Rendering of a proposed new Chiefs stadium, built in Kansas, is leaked. Oh look, it's a dome. 🤔

I just saw a bunch of renderings for it on FB. They did it like Gillette. Built a whole city center around it. Hotels, shopping, restaurants. You know, like how we should have built ours. Oh well 

Edited by mrags
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1

Goodell (booooooo) proposed Feb President day weekend for Super Bowl. 18 weeks. 
yeah, that dome!!!???  So, 1970s last regular game was Dec 10th. All you boomers saying today is same? Nov Dec Jan Feb. this is not a fall sport anymore!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Nah….people just ran out of ways to call them expensive. 😉 Did you come up with a new one? 

Nothing PG13 or less.  :) 

Back on topic, drove by last weekend and there is lots of steel taking shape.  They'll probably be finished by this Friday.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ScotSHO said:

Nothing PG13 or less.  :) 

Back on topic, drove by last weekend and there is lots of steel taking shape.  They'll probably be finished by this Friday.

Feels like we should be due for the next installment of the drone flyover video…no? 

12 hours ago, Since1981 said:

yeah, that dome!!!???  So, 1970s last regular game was Dec 10th. All you boomers saying today is same? Nov Dec Jan Feb. this is not a fall sport anymore!!

Great point about how far into winter the schedule goes nowadays vs. the 70s when the season always ended before Christmas. If anything, the NFL should start the season earlier, but the broadcast networks won’t allow that as it would compete with the start of college football for ratings. 

17 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I genuinely despise the design as well. It’s not a joke when I say that these are the two images I picture when I see the renderings:

toilet-top.png

IMG-8688.jpg

Nothing about it seems great. Everything about it screams “average”. 

I'm sure it'll be nice enough. But with these cost overruns I can see them cutting back on details.

Here in lovely Manch-Vegas NH they built a ball park for the AA Blue Jays team the Fishercats in 2005. The original plan was for brick facades like Fenway Park. Very nice. But when costs went up we got corrugated metal siding instead.

Still a very nice ball park. I think it's a better design than Sahlen Field, with open concourses that allow you to see the game while at concessions. But corrugated metal siding is not brick.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Einstein said:

I genuinely despise the design as well. It’s not a joke when I say that these are the two images I picture when I see the renderings:

toilet-top.png

IMG-8688.jpg

Fair enough, but I'm wondering what exactly you were expecting. Is it not better than the 'recently' constructed open air stadiums in the surrounding NE area of the country (Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, New York, New England, Philadelphia....to name more than a few)?

Edited by SoCal Deek

toilet-top.png

IMG-8688.jpg

Expensive 

toilet-top.png

IMG-8688.jpg

Looking at your first image, you know damn well by now that the stadium isn’t coming with a retractable roof. 

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I'm sure it'll be nice enough. But with these cost overruns I can see them cutting back on details.

Here in lovely Manch-Vegas NH they built a ball park for the AA Blue Jays team the Fishercats in 2005. The original plan was for brick facades like Fenway Park. Very nice. But when costs went up we got corrugated metal siding instead.

Still a very nice ball park. I think it's a better design than Sahlen Field, with open concourses that allow you to see the game while at concessions. But corrugated metal siding is not brick.

I think this is pretty much the reason why we don’t have any fly-through or detailed renderings of the interior like we’ve seen with other stadium projects. I don’t think they want us seeing anything or getting our hopes up if costs skyrocket and they start cutting things. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

but I'm wondering what exactly you were expecting.

When Pegula originally came in with all the bravado (ie: "If I want to make some money, I'll go drill a gas well"), I had the impression that he would be going all-out, even if that meant he would have to pull a substantial amount from his own pocket.

33 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Is it not better than the 'recently' constructed open air stadiums in the surrounding NE area of the country (Chicago, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Cincinnati, New York, New England, Philadelphia....to name more than a few)?

I do expect our stadium to be on the same level or slightly better than the stadiums you listed. But you just named stadiums that are 20+ years old. Chicago's stadium is 101 years old and last underwent refurbishment in 2003. Steelers stadium is 23 years old. Browns stadium is 25 years old. Bengals stadium is 24 years old. Patriots stadium is 22 years old. Eagles stadium is 21 years old.

I mentioned before that I see this brand new stadium akin to the stadiums that were built 20-25 years ago. Which isn't ideal for a brand new stadium. It is like spending $50k on a new kitchen and installing shag carpeting and red cabinets.

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Off topic, but Sahlen Field/Pilot Field is vastly overrated at this point.  It was ground-breaking in 1988.  However, it is not a good design with today's standards.  It needs to be about 5-6K seats smaller, needs to have open concourses and a better standing/socialization scene.  It also has a terrible backdrop.  The concourses are like a concrete tomb.  If you are there with a large crowd on a hot day, the concession lines clog up the concourse every 40 feet or so, and it is about 25 degrees hotter in there than anywhere else.

The sitelines are also gunked up there as you go down foul territory.  The seats face the outfield much more than current designs and in the case of a full/large crowd, you need to look across a lot of people sideways to see the infield.   All the newer AAA and AA ballparks have passed it by.  The Jays' renovations during covid put a decent coat of paint on the insides, and improved the lighting, but without that, the ballpark would be in much worse decay. 

People locally still talk about it like it is the Minor League's crown jewel.  It is now the 2nd oldest park in AAA, oldest in the International league, and it is dusted by places like Columbus, Indianapolis, Nashville, Charlotte, etc.

Edited by May Day 10
  • Agree 1

16 hours ago, mrags said:

I just saw a bunch of renderings for it on FB. They did it like Gillette. Built a whole city center around it. Hotels, shopping, restaurants. You know, like how we should have built ours. Oh well 

I don't get how Terry could have screwed this up so badly. Build around it, put a dome or a retractable roof and you can have tons of events in there. We could have held the Draft, a Superbowl etc. 

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

Off topic, but Sahlen Field/Pilot Field is vastly overrated at this point.  It was ground-breaking in 1988.  However, it is not a good design with today's standards.  It needs to be about 8K seats smaller, needs to have open concourses and a better standing/socialization scene.  It also has a terrible backdrop.  The concourses are like a concrete tomb.  If you are there with a large crowd on a hot day, the concession lines clog up the concourse every 40 feet or so, and it is about 25 degrees hotter in there than anywhere else.

The sitelines are also gunked up there as you go down foul territory.  The seats face the outfield much more than current designs and in the case of a full/large crowd, you need to look across a lot of people sideways to see the infield.   All the newer AAA and AA ballparks have passed it by.  The Jays' renovations during covid put a decent coat of paint on the insides, and improved the lighting, but without that, the ballpark would be in much worse decay. 

This is Northeast Delta Dental Stadium. Capacity 6500 but can hold 9000 with standing room. There's the Sam Adams Club in left field where you can have dinner while watching the game. And there's a Hilton Garden Hotel in center field with its own patio restaurant.

https://www.stadiumjourney.com/stadiums/northeast-delta-dental-stadium-s273

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

I don't get how Terry could have screwed this up so badly. Build around it, put a dome or a retractable roof and you can have tons of events in there. We could have held the Draft, a Superbowl etc. 

I don't love the new stadium by any means but disagree with a couple points here.  I think Buffalo can still end up hosting the draft once the new stadium opens and we were never getting a Superbowl here no matter what.  

• Agree 1

When Pegula originally came in with all the bravado (ie: "If I want to make some money, I'll go drill a gas well"), I had the impression that he would be going all-out, even if that meant he would have to pull a substantial amount from his own pocket.

I do expect our stadium to be on the same level or slightly better than the stadiums you listed. But you just named stadiums that are 20+ years old. Chicago's stadium is 101 years old and last underwent refurbishment in 2003. Steelers stadium is 23 years old. Browns stadium is 25 years old. Bengals stadium is 24 years old. Patriots stadium is 22 years old. Eagles stadium is 21 years old.

I mentioned before that I see this brand new stadium akin to the stadiums that were built 20-25 years ago. Which isn't ideal for a brand new stadium. It is like spending $50k on a new kitchen and installing shag carpeting and red cabinets.

No idea what you’re talking about. Steel and concrete haven’t changed much in the last century. What has changed are the fan experience amenities in the latest stadiums. I can pretty much guarantee you that the new Bills Stadium will have modern amenities. 

3 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

I don't love the new stadium by any means but disagree with a couple points here.  I think Buffalo can still end up hosting the draft once the new stadium opens and we were never getting a Superbowl here no matter what.  

The new stadium isn't big enough to hold the draft. They said 700,000 people showed up to Detroit for it this year. Fans of every team show up as it is a big event now.

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

The new stadium isn't big enough to hold the draft. They said 700,000 people showed up to Detroit for it this year. Fans of every team show up as it is a big event now.

It might become a new tradition but to date I don’t think they’ve ever held the draft in a stadium. So I have no idea what the new Bills Stadium has to do with it.

And there’s less than zero chance that anyone in the rest of the country wants to go to Buffalo for a Superbowl. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

It might become a new tradition but to date I don’t think they’ve ever held the draft in a stadium. So I have no idea what the new Bills Stadium has to do with it.

And there’s less than zero chance that anyone in the rest of the country wants to go to Buffalo for a Superbowl. 

No chance for the Super Bowl for the obvious reasons. I would love to see a draft in Buffalo if there is a place big enough to hold it. 

24 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Didn’t a million+ just show up to Buffalo for the eclipse? 

18 hours ago, Since1981 said:

I must say, I appreciate the booooooo!  😂 

6 hours ago, Einstein said:

toilet-top.png

IMG-8688.jpg

I hope the automatic flush never misfires.  

46 minutes ago, Gregg said:

You do realize that was over 3 days worth. It’s not like they had 700k every day. You have almost 80k show up to the Stadium on a regular Sunday throughout the season and that’s basically just for the Bills. You could easily double that when you throw in every single NFL team and their rabid fan bases in there. 

Im not saying they would break that record, im simply saying 700k is not an accurate number based off the argument your making. 

25 minutes ago, Awwufelloff said:

1million showed up in Niagara Falls I believe and NF isn’t as big as Buffalo. I don’t know for sure how crazy it was, I was out of town. But I know many people that work in law enforcement and there were definitely assumptions that 1m+ would be in the surrounding areas. 

if they were to do a draft in Buffalo it would likely be down near the Harbor. Only logical place for it. Rail goes right there, highway entrances very nearby. Open space for it. Near the water. Near Canada. Only place I could see that might be more doable is Niagara Square. Unless they were to hold it right at the new/old stadium in OP. There’s plenty of space but no amenities near by. Maybe they do it in place of the old Ralph after it’s torn down. Or maybe they do it in either stadium. Idk. Definitely possible though. 

1 hour ago, Captain Caveman said:

Some pics of the "experience" (not mine but came from the Season Ticket discussion group)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4UN5LqegenFBSYtp8

The experience that I was referring to have nothing to do with the architecture of the facility. Newer stadiums are about providing services before, during, and after the game that are more upscale than the old days of sitting on a cold, aluminum bench eating the cheese-wiz nachos provided at the concession stand. The best analogy I can come up with is that everyone flies on the same airplane, but the folks up in business  and first class are treated to a far better "experience" than those back in coach. The NFL, like most sports leagues, are wooing those fans looking for a first class experience.

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Ok but Pilot Field was built in the mid 80's with the capability of adding a second deck in case, well, you know.

5 hours ago, Gregg said:

I have no idea how the logistics would look but if Green Bay can handle hosting a draft then Buffalo/Orchard Park could handle it too

4 hours ago, Awwufelloff said:

Those were projected numbers but then the weather ended up being bad in Buffalo for the eclipse and alot of people went to other places like Cleveland etc.. and they said they were nowhere near 1 million people in the Buffalo area.  I wish the weather was better because I was actually curious to see how the area could handle hosting that many tourists.