Poona Ford signing with the Bills

mathja

24 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Nope, lets keep Jones . and find his apprentice

I want two big bodies. next season or possibly this one post camp.
Keep the LBs clean please.

THIS

3rd, Harry was a 1T, right?

At the end of 21 everyone loved his play as stabilizing to the D and then we wouldn’t match the 6 million per that Minny offered for 3 years.  They let him go while playing well and not for very much.

What was the deal with that? 

Throwing out there for anyone to answer.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

Has one of those “proposed trades” ever actually happened? It might have once for something obvious but I don’t recall the details. I wish people would give that up

Lol, of course not... in reference to those certain silly type kind of trades some post once in a while, something like "Cam Lewis sucks, should trade him and at least get a 3rd".

Only thing I can think of off top of my head that comes close, but also was unexpected and surprised many people, was the Tyrod trade when Beane got a 3rd few years back. But that's about it

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

3rd, Harry was a 1T, right?

At the end of 21 everyone loved his play as stabilizing to the D and then we wouldn’t match the 6 million per that Minny offered for 3 years.  They let me of the other en, playing well, get away for not very much.

What was the deal with that? 

Throwing out there for anyone to answer.

Good question !
Lets see the opinions

I was not one for letting him go. But for me? I now want two space eaters for the future state.

Bills did not get to the QB via the Middle #whenitmattered last year

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, 3rdand12 said:

Nope, lets keep Jones . and find his apprentice

I want two big bodies. next season or possibly this one post camp.
Keep the LBs clean please.

THIS

At his age Daquon needs to be year to year.   I'm really hoping for a MLB that doesn't need to be kept spotless.   Instincts would be a nice change.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Who said Poona Ford was going to be the backup 1 tech?  Beane?   

Poona Ford has played his best football over the outside shoulder of the guard..........which is Ed Oliver's position in the Bills D.......3T.

I've always viewed him as a penetrating 3T.

He’ll play both

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I want to sign or trade Oliver. I don’t want to have him play out his contract and become a UFA.

I’m very clear about that.

You've made that abundantly clear in multiple threads. I disagree. This thread is also about Poona, not Oliver. 

24 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Maybe.  I just don’t like his fit on our defense. 

If we’re going with a fast, undersized, more attacking style defense (which it seems like we are) I’d much rather have monster DT’s up front.. not another undersized guy taking a ton of snaps. 

Same, tbf. I just don't think Oliver is without value. He's probably worth more on our roster than what we could get in a trade.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Logic said:

I think it's time for certain Bills fans to let the "trade Ed Oliver!" fever dream die once and for all.

He doesn't have much value. If you think he's so unimpressive that he's not worth re-signing to a second contract, then why would other teams be willing to give up major assets for him? 

If you just want his money off the books and you're willing to take a conditional 2024 5th, then sure, trade him away. Because that's the most you'd likely be getting in return.

If his rate of pay this year doesn't bother you, though, then you may as well ride out his final year and let him either have a great season and force your hand in re-signing him, or let him walk and receive a compensatory pick higher than the one you could likely trade him for.

LOL

That's standard operating procedure for the Trade Hims! around here.

TBD Talent Evaluator: "Playername Sucks!  He's a bust! No way should we sign him to  a big contract!"

Also TBD Talent Evaluator: "Trade Playername!  We should be able to make a player for player trade for a good talent or a 2nd round pick!"

The obvious logical fallacy that if said player isn't a starter or worth his current salary on the Bills, other teams are probably not willing to give up a starting player or a premium pick for him in order to take over that salary on a 1 year rental, never seems to occur

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

• Simon changed the title to Poona Ford signing with the Bills
14 minutes ago, NickelCity said:

Oliver is better than his current perception on this board. 

Yeah for the perception of some that's true and there are some others it's not.

He improved a some last season with addition of Von Miller and when healthy, at the same time though I'm not sure there was all that big of a gap in performance between the players in that particular position for the most part really. Each one of them made some plays, Jones, Settle, Oliver, and Jordan P made plays, especially when healthy and before Von went down.

Honestly I don't recall it being much difference in performance from one to the other. Not enough to brag about anyways imo

20 minutes ago, Magox said:

He’ll play both

https://www.si.com/nfl/seahawks/news/seattle-seahawks-sign-poona-ford-john-schneider-pete-carroll-free-agency-update-contract 

Pete Carrol says they preferred him at nose tackle and that he was too often played at 3T and 5T in their defense.  I think Buffalo views him as an upgrade to Settle at 1T.  They really had  no true 1T behind Jones last year and that was a problem.  

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.