RD 1, Pick 25: TE Dalton Kincaid, Utah

SDS

Just now, GoBills808 said:

I chalk a lot of it up to the Jets and Dolphins defenses improving

We played a more difficult defensive schedule in 2022 than 2021 w similar results

And Teams realizing they can stay in base with our 12 personnel sets (which started happening after the Bye). And low and behold the offense stagnated 

4 minutes ago, NewEra said:

That’s really all that matters. And Spencer Brown of course 🤣 

I’m a very happy man I must say.  The best pass catcher in the draft that brings things to the table that we just didn’t have

Im definitely happy we took the best guy.  I admittedly thought there was very little chance we would take a TE, but that is also partly because I figured both Kincaid and Mayer would be gone and we were looking at someone like Washington.  

Im excited to hear how Beane spoke about him and that it sounds like there is a bigger plan for him than just a second TE.  So looking forward to seeing how this all comes together on the field this year.  

Love getting Allen more weapons, now let’s get him some more protection too as the icing on the cake

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

I chalk a lot of it up to the Jets and Dolphins defenses improving

We played a more difficult defensive schedule in 2022 than 2021 w similar results

We struggled against more teams than that.  

Either way, it’s a new year with new pieces.  So we will see how Dorsey evolves, he was bad in several key areas as a rookie OC.

I like the player and the pick to counter what’s going on in the division with boundary CBs. Both the Dolphins/Jets, who are looking to challenge the Bills, have excellent boundary CBs. With Kincaid, I’m hoping the Bills/Dorsey can attack the middle of the field. Doesn’t matter that Gardner or Ramsey have locked down Diggs.

Don’t love giving up a pick, I think the Bills really needed all their picks. 

Edited by Wayne Cubed
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah, if Dorsey figures out how to utilize our weapons, the offense is gonna be a nightmare to defend.  But...my thing with Dorsey is last year he failed to utilize our RB's as pass catchers despite Beane drafting one in the 2nd and trading for one in Hines mid season.  He also failed to get Knox more involved when we needed help as our slot production was hurting the offense.  And with the slot position under performing, he didn't really try and get Shakir more involved either despite some positive flashes.  

That for me was the biggest area he needed to grow into year 2 at...utilizing our personnel more effectively and more regularly in the offense.  So fingers crossed he finds ways to get all these guys touches.  Lets not forget about Sherfield, Shakir, and Harty too...these guys can potentially bring a lot to the offense.  And we still need to get the run game more involved too so its not all on Josh Allen.  

I would feel a lot better if we had a more proven OC, but hey, it was just his first year, hoping he takes a big step this year as an OC.  Because he also needs to be better in the redzone and in game adjustments.  

Now that McDermott is calling the D, I'm sure that he and Dorsey have had some long conversations on how OCs set up a D.

McDermott has to be teaching Dorsey how D's counter the OC, but Sean is smart enough to show Dorsey what he needs to do to improve.

I'm not sure how much Frazier helped in that regard last season.  I know Dorsey is smart and can do it, he has pressure on him this year to

get that figured out quickly. 

I think the offense has enough skill players to be extremely effective.  Add an OL in Day 2 and I'll feel better there.

This season really is all about Ken going forward.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Im definitely happy we took the best guy.  I admittedly thought there was very little chance we would take a TE, but that is also partly because I figured both Kincaid and Mayer would be gone and we were looking at someone like Washington.  

Im excited to hear how Beane spoke about him and that it sounds like there is a bigger plan for him than just a second TE.  So looking forward to seeing how this all comes together on the field this year.  

Love getting Allen more weapons, now let’s get him some more protection too as the icing on the cake

We struggled against more teams than that.  

Either way, it’s a new year with new pieces.  So we will see how Dorsey evolves, he was bad in several key areas as a rookie OC.

We struggled vs the Jags under Daboll

Dorsey was fine imo

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

42 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

I get those wants and needs absolutely. One of things you need to realize at mlb though is: they haven’t given up on Bernard, even if a lot of us have forgotten about him since he didn’t play. They have their bets on him hedged with bringing back dodson and klein but I think they think Bernard has a real chance to develop into something. They will absolutely give him a chance and I wouldn’t expect an early rd (day 2) pick for LB. 

More offensive line help? Absolutely throw it on me. They can take 3 OLs in a row if the value’s there go ahead.

really? bernard was a absolute shock to me. i thought he would devolop into a hybrid cb/lb for nickle pass downs as a third taking out maybe poyer as dumb as that sounds as i write it. a disrupter, not a lynchpin. maybe a Kelsey killer to man up with more size. never saw him as a full time starter. hey if he develops into more then a wrench to toss into packages thats great but for some reason he seems like a absolute liability in any run and def not a full time lb in our nickle only. i cant believe we didnt reach to get the best one in the draft in the first. not that i want that at all but seeing as mcd had luke to cement his career and they seemed so intrigued with Edmunds becoming that guy with ridiculous traits. i will be suprised if they let mlb in a primary nickle not be a stud out the gate. meaning rd 2 maybe another trade up just to do it. again, not that i advocate that. we still need competition upgrades for the o line. esp right tackle.

Edited by Buffarukus

4 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

We struggled vs the Jags under Daboll

Dorsey was fine imo

I tend to agree. There were quite a few similarities between the teams success and struggles between Dorsey and Daboll. 

Seems EVERYONE wants to throw Dorsey into the fire. I get it. He's the new guy. He's the OC. Couldn't possibly be the fault of Allen not making the right read or check down. Let's face it, as great as Allen is, and he is the second best QB in the league IMO, he has room to grow in one important area and that is taking the easy throws and spreading the ball around more. Once he learns to perfect that he'll be unstoppable.

• Agree 1

I'm seeing a lot of criticism about how Dorsey and Allen didn't use Knox enough last year, so why take Kincaid? But think of him as a big slot WR, not a TE. Beane said it himself - Kincaid will play Beasley's role in the offense but with a TE body and much more field stretching ability.

Allen thrived when he had Beasley as his safety valve. I think Kincaid will quickly take on that role. I never thought Knox was a natural fit in that role because he just doesn't have a great feel for how to make himself available. Now we can use Knox as a more traditional TE while Kincaid acts as a matchup nightmare in the middle of the field.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Buffarukus said:

really? bernard was a absolute shock to me. i thought he would devolop into a hybrid cb/lb for nickle pass downs as a third taking out maybe poyer as dumb as that sounds as i write it. maybe a Kelsey killer to man up with more size. never saw him as a full time starter. hey if he develops into more then a wrench to toss into packages thats great but for some reason he seems like a absolute liability in any run and def not a full time lb in our nickle only. i cant believe we didnt reach to get the best one in the draft in the first. seeing as mcd had luke to cement his career and they seemed so intrigued with Edmunds becoming that guy with ridiculous traits. i will be suprised if they let mlb in a primary nickle not be a stud out the gate. meaning rd 2 maybe another trade up just to do it. 

yes really - and I am not saying I agree with it but I am just trying to read the tea leaves - I do not think they use a day 2 pick on a tweener guy that would only play in sub packages. I think they knew they’d most likely lose a starting LB and really liked the guy. I’m not sure they’re right, I’m just saying I would not be surprised if they don’t pick a possible MLB replacement on day 2. They may try to dig up a diamond on Saturday.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I tend to agree. There were quite a few similarities between the teams success and struggles between Dorsey and Daboll. 

Seems EVERYONE wants to throw Dorsey into the fire. I get it. He's the new guy. He's the OC. Couldn't possibly be the fault of Allen not making the right read or check down. Let's face it, as great as Allen is, and he is the second best QB in the league IMO, he has room to grow in one important area and that is taking the easy throws and spreading the ball around more. Once he learns to perfect that he'll be unstoppable.

I think Dorsey did well for a rookie.  I guess what I think he needs to improve on is best described using a boxing analogy.

A good fighter doesn't just fight.  He studies the opponents' strengths and weaknesses and designs his attack accordingly.

Learning to set up the opponent with the right combination of punches takes skill and experience.  Ken needs to improve there.

I do agree that Josh can get stubborn, and Ken will have to be "the boss" enough to reign any of that in.  But once again, he needs to learn

that he has to do that.  It's a big year for both of them!

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, JoPoy88 said:

yes really - and I am not saying I agree with it but I am just trying to read the tea leaves - I do not think they use a day 2 pick on a tweener guy that would only play in sub packages. I think they knew they’d most likely lose a starting LB and really liked the guy. I’m not sure they’re right, I’m just saying I would not be surprised if they don’t pick a possible MLB replacement on day 2. They may try to dig up a diamond on Saturday.

I think this is 100% correct. 

not to mention we only play with two starting LB’s anyway. One of them is a first team all-pro. It’s not like we need another stud starting Lb. Not when we just need competent starting o-lineman on the other side of the ball. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I seriously think Dorsey was handcuffed. His offense is based on 12 personnel. They thought they could get by with Howard and that didn’t work out. I really think a lot of people will be singing Dorsey’s praises this year IF Kincaid can come in and just flash enough as a Rookie and give them a legit 12 personnel package 

I completely agree. I don't think Dorsey is the next Andy Reid but dorsey haters will not acknowledge how handcuffed dorsey was when oj Howard was a bust, Crowder went down, and Gabes limited skill set. And like you said IF Kincaid can come out and cause defenses to adjust their scheme then that opens things up for dorsey.

52 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

The offense was second in points and yards, I mean how deficient could it have been lol

Context is king. Heck, you saw it.

Stoked about the Kincaid pick, btw. Now give me alllll the OLine. 

Edited by NickelCity

I’m definitely h*** af **** rn!!!

We got a legitimate top 15 player in the draft with some of the highest upside!!

The basketball player turned TE has been the rage since Antonio Gates…. Kincaid is a ******* machine !!

He can be split at the Y with diggs at the X ! And he will get leverage on any corner 

Flexed he can do anything he wants to  safety’s or LBrs In man

This is gonna keep Josh Allen a happy Man

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

I don't get why people are so down on this pick.  I'm stoked for our 2 TE sets this year.  I'm also told he's good after the catch for YAC which is the overrated stat of choice for many.

ALL the negative emoticons on this thread are the same 5%ers we have to tolerate here every day. “PEOPLE” is being too kind. Bobby Heenan referred to these ‘folks’ as humanoids. That they’re all together in their Hate Spew and cluelessness tells you all you need to know. 
I think it’s a fine pick and probably worth losing a 4th rounder to trade up for. I believe he was the lone remaining player we had with a 1st Round grade, so we did well at #25 imo.

Edited by Chandler#81
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 2

14 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

I completely agree. I don't think Dorsey is the next Andy Reid but dorsey haters will not acknowledge how handcuffed dorsey was when oj Howard was a bust, Crowder went down, and Gabes limited skill set. And like you said IF Kincaid can come out and cause defenses to adjust their scheme then that opens things up for dorsey.

I agree with you that Dorsey had challenges   In think he learned a lot last season and will improve.  Definitely some head scratching play calling but we saw that with Daboll too. 

this pick is a very good pick for us and should give us a solid new look and option for Josh.  

on to round two and hopefully more offense!   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.