TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - Complete!!

Virgil

1 minute ago, Might Rather said:

Exceedingly improbable? The Falcons are determined to give Desmond Ridder a shot to be their QB of the future and their WR depth chart does not look good.

Yep. Exceedingly improbable. They reached for one big guy that can't play as well as the smaller guys last year. To repeat that mistake would be to ensure they out out of a job in a year's time.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Might Rather said:

Exceedingly improbable? The Falcons are determined to give Desmond Ridder a shot to be their QB of the future and their WR depth chart does not look good.

I, too, am curious which defensive coordinators are staying up at night fearing Mack Hollins and Scotty Miller, the Falcons' presumptive #2 and #3 receivers.

If the contention is that they have greater needs than WR, then I would agree. If the contention is that this is too high for Johnston to be picked, I'd likely agree with that, too.

But to be fair to the Falcons mock drafter, Atlanta certainly COULD use another quality wide receiver.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Might Rather said:

Well, I'd like to know how the top pull quote has my handle and not Might Rather, because I personally would not wish to be associated with that pick. Very much doubt they double up on first round wrs after Drake London last year and considering their many needs on defense. I think they prioritize cb and edge well before another receiver.

2 minutes ago, Logic said:

I, too, am curious which defensive coordinators are staying up at night fearing Mack Hollins and Scotty Miller, the Falcons' presumptive #2 and #3 receivers.

If the contention is that they have greater needs than WR, then I would agree. If the contention is that this is too high for Johnston to be picked, I'd likely agree with that, too.

But to be fair to the Falcons mock drafter, Atlanta certainly COULD use another quality wide receiver.

DE is a big need also with the 31st pass rush last year but the top two guys already went in front of us. 

• Like (+1) 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Patriots (section122) are on the clock
27 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Well, I'd like to know how the top pull quote has my handle and not Might Rather, because I personally would not wish to be associated with that pick. Very much doubt they double up on first round wrs after Drake London last year and considering their many needs on defense. I think they prioritize cb and edge well before another receiver.

The Bengals doubled up on Higgins and Chase in 20 &21. I know Higgins was a second but it's a copycat league. 

Just now, Might Rather said:

The Bengals doubled up on Higgins and Chase in 20 &21. I know Higgins was a second but it's a copycat league. 

Hard to evaluate wr when your qb is not good. Helps that the Bengals had Joe Burrow throwing the ball. Falcons' defense is pretty atrocious. I know they spent on FA to improve it, but I expect the early draft picks to go there as well. I'd be highly surprised if wr in the first happens. Arthur Smith is on the hot seat, so I think they will be looking for immediate contributors. I don't think Johnston is close to that. Guess we'll see.

• Like (+1) 1

With the 15th pick in the version 2.0 Virgil Mock Draft 2023, the Green Pay Packers select:

Lukas Van Ness, EDGE, Iowa

Preston Smith is entering his 30s and Rashan Gary is playing on the option so the need for edge depth in Green Bay is more accute than ever. Van Ness is a local kid from Northern Illinois and he is a perfect character and scheme fit for the organisation. 

@frostbitmic and the Commanders are now on the clock.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 3

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Commanders (frostbitmic) are on the clock

With the 16th selection, the Washington Commanders select Broderick Jones - T - Georgia

This team isn't good and needs pretty much everything except D-Line. We'll start with the O-Line and go from there. Jones is very athletic and has a finisher mentality, he'll be a day 1 starter for us.

The Pittsburgh Steelers @CNYfan is on the clock.

• Like (+1) 4

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Steelers (CNYfan) are on the clock
2 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

This is an exceedingly improbable pick.

That's what I like about the TSW mock drafts. In the real draft the teams don't go all chalk picks. There are huge surprises every year. A WR with Johnston's measurables going higher than expected isn't crazy. Too many mock drafts try to play the selections by the book. Here 32 different minds means you get some real curve balls.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

With the 17th pick in TSW Mock 2.0 the Steelers select Joey Porter, Jr. CB Penn State.  The Steelers need help in the secondary and they love Joey porter here.  If Porter had come out in 2022 he likely would also have been the 3rd CB off the board.  Like his father he plays with extreme physicality and is long at 6'3" to compete against the big receivers.  Joey, Jr is fast and as stated strong in run support.   

The Lions and @NeverOutNick are on the clock

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

That's what I like about the TSW mock drafts. In the real draft the teams don't go all chalk picks. There are huge surprises every year. A WR with Johnston's measurables going higher than expected isn't crazy. Too many mock drafts try to play the selections by the book. Here 32 different minds means you get some real curve balls.

I'm going to wait and see who is available at 27 to tell you how much I like it . . . 

32 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Totally agree.  There are some head scratchers, of course, but I’d bet that this sort of mock is as accurate (or inaccurate) as most of the experts’.  And as a tool for figuring out who might be available when the Bills pick at 27 and 59, I think it’s really useful. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Lions (NeverOutNick) are on the clock

With the 18th pick in TSW Mock 2.0 the Detroit Lions select Michael Mayer, TE Fighting Irish

In a draft where we could trade down this would be the perfect spot to but Dan Campbell is on cloud 9 as he gets the best all around TE in this draft class. He does not have the receiving upside of Kincaid or the blocking of Washington but he’s an immediate plug and play top 20 TE in the league and won’t make mistakes and that makes Campbell and his TE background happy. You may ask but wait why did they get rid of Hockenson just to grab a TE in the draft. Well these aren’t your Uncles lions. They are a cost effective and future forward thinking group and this move pays off immediately for a team destined to break a 30+ year playoff losing drought.

@Bookie_tech and the Bucs are on the clock with pick 19

• Like (+1) 2

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Bucs (Boogie_Tech) are on the clock
30 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

With the 18th pick in TSW Mock 2.0 the Detroit Lions select Michael Mayer, TE Fighting Irish

In a draft where we could trade down this would be the perfect spot to but Dan Campbell is on cloud 9 as he gets the best all around TE in this draft class. He does not have the receiving upside of Kincaid or the blocking of Washington but he’s an immediate plug and play top 20 TE in the league and won’t make mistakes and that makes Campbell and his TE background happy. You may ask but wait why did they get rid of Hockenson just to grab a TE in the draft. Well these aren’t your Uncles lions. They are a cost effective and future forward thinking group and this move pays off immediately for a team destined to break a 30+ year playoff losing drought.

@Bookie_tech and the Bucs are on the clock with pick 19

Did anyone ever figure out why the Lions traded Hockenson last year?  Was he a locker-room cancer?  Would they really turn around and spend the 18th overall pick on a TE?

6 minutes ago, mannc said:

Did anyone ever figure out why the Lions traded Hockenson last year?  Was he a locker-room cancer?  Would they really turn around and spend the 18th overall pick on a TE?

My best friend is a huge lions fan and says they didn’t want to have to pay him the big $ so they got the most they could 

7 hours ago, NeverOutNick said:

My best friend is a huge lions fan and says they didn’t want to have to pay him the big $ so they got the most they could 

So I would understand this more as an argument if the Lions were facing a series of high cost contracts in the next two years, but they are not. They are likely two years away from paying Sewell who is the first of this new breed of Lions that will come up. 

Put me in the camp that doesn't see the logic to trading Hock for a 2nd and then spending a 1st on his replacement. Tight End is a need on the roster though, no question there, and I do think Mayer might be more to their tastes than Kincaid for the reasons you set out. 

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Seahawks (NewEra) are on the clock
1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

So I would understand this more as an argument if the Lions were facing a series of high cost contracts in the next two years, but they are not. They are likely two years away from paying Sewell who is the first of this new breed of Lions that will come up. 

Put me in the camp that doesn't see the logic to trading Hock for a 2nd and then spending a 1st on his replacement. Tight End is a need on the roster though, no question there, and I do think Mayer might be more to their tastes than Kincaid for the reasons you set out. 

I think you're forgetting the Lions are required by the state of Michigan to draft a first round TE every five years or so (Pettigrew, Ebron, Hockenson).

• Haha (+1) 2

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

It’s the weakest part of their current roster so they upgrade it with a guy Campbell will love. I don’t see the logic in why they trade away a top 5 TE either. For all the great moves the lions made the last couple years including trading up to get Williams in the first round for peanuts I thought it was moronic to then go and trade away Hockenson. I’m not making the pick based on hockenson though I’m making it based on their current roster weaknesses. TE is now a weakness. I thought about taking Bresee at 18 and honestly almost did but Mayer feels more like a Campbell pick to me even if getting Bresee here and picking up Washington in the 2nd makes more “logical” sense. I’ve learned through these drafts it’s best to wait until they are over to make a full assessment. Let me know if I screwed up their draft after round 2 is over. Right now I’m looking at best player available that fits their needs

I also thought maybe there is a chance Bresee falls to the early 2nd again and I can have my cake and eat it too but after me saying his name so much I’m throwing that idea out the window lol 

29 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

I think you're forgetting the Lions are required by the state of Michigan to draft a first round TE every five years or so (Pettigrew, Ebron, Hockenson).

Man this made me laugh because it seems so true lol. And honestly I told my die hard lions buddy hey I’m down to Bresee and Mayer for this pick and he’s like you have to take Mayer here

Edited by NeverOutNick
Bresee
  • Like (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, NeverOutNick said:

It’s the weakest part of their current roster so they upgrade it with a guy Campbell will love. I don’t see the logic in why they trade away a top 5 TE either. For all the great moves the lions made the last couple years including trading up to get Williams in the first round for peanuts I thought it was moronic to then go and trade away Hockenson. I’m not making the pick based on hockenson though I’m making it based on their current roster weaknesses. TE is now a weakness. I thought about taking Bresee at 18 and honestly almost did but Mayer feels more like a Campbell pick to me even if getting Bresee here and picking up Washington in the 2nd makes more “logical” sense. I’ve learned through these drafts it’s best to wait until they are over to make a full assessment. Let me know if I screwed up their draft after round 2 is over. Right now I’m looking at best player available that fits their needs

I also thought maybe there is a chance Bresee falls to the early 2nd again and I can have my cake and eat it too but after me saying his name so much I’m throwing that idea out the window lol 

Man this made me laugh because it seems so true lol. And honestly I told my die hard lions buddy hey I’m down to Bresee and Mayer for this pick and he’s like you have to take Mayer here

Wasn't your logic I was questioning to be clear. More like theirs if this is the way they go.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Wasn't your logic I was questioning to be clear. More like theirs if this is the way they go.

Yeah, sorry if it came off like I was being defensive it’s early here ha ha. I know a lot of people would take Robinson because lions can afford to do so but this regime it doesn’t seem like the way they would go having a three-year deal with David Montgomery, and still having Swift, but I wouldn’t hate that pick either 

Hey everyone, just a heads up.  I have a pre-op appointment today for my ACL surgery at 10:30.  I’m hoping it’ll be quick, but it may interfere with me making my Ravens pick quickly.  

Please be patient. 

• Like (+1) 2

With the 20th pick, the Seattle Seahawks select- Nolan Smith-  Edge-  Georgia 

lots of great options still available on both sides of the ball- we almost pulled the trigger on Kincaid.  Then we almost pulled the trigger on Addison or Zay.  Came down to which player would have the biggest effect on this team and we couldn’t pass on Smith.  

College teammate of Jalen Carter and wreaker of havoc, smith will bolster the pass rush while also being a source of comfort and focus for Carter.  We’re counting on these guys to be this generations the Cam Hayward/TJ Watt 

@Yantha is on the board

• Like (+1) 4

With the 21st pick, the LA Chargers select- Brian Branch-  FS-  Alabama

Yes, WR is arguably a need due to the bad "injury year" the Chargers had at the position last season.  The WR talent they have on the roster is undeniable (even the slot WR is pretty good), and for that reason, I went a different direction.  Free Safety is rather weak in my opinion, and the Chargers could use a better option to pair up with Derwin James (one of the better safeties in the league).

@Virgil is on the clock (Ravens) 

• Like (+1) 3

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Ravens (Virgil) are on the clock
39 minutes ago, Yantha said:

With the 21st pick, the LA Chargers select- Brian Branch-  FS-  Alabama

Yes, WR is arguably a need due to the bad "injury year" the Chargers had at the position last season.  The WR talent they have on the roster is undeniable (even the slot WR is pretty good), and for that reason, I went a different direction.  Free Safety is rather weak in my opinion, and the Chargers could use a better option to pair up with Derwin James (one of the better safeties in the league).

@Virgil is on the clock (Ravens) 

If the board falls this way, the Chargers would be insane not to pick Flowers or Kincaid.  Their receiving “weapons” are pathetic.

• Virgil changed the title to TSW Mock Draft 2.0 - The Vikings (inaugural balls) are on the clock

The Baltimore Ravens select Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

The Ravens continue to focus on their offense with the signing of pre-draft visit Flowers.  Zay can line up at any spot and has the versatility the Ravens are looking for.   Lamar can’t say we didn’t do everything we could to support him.  

We considered DB here, but the value on Flowers was just too high.  

The Vikings @inaugural ballsare on the clock

• Like (+1) 2

22 minutes ago, mannc said:

If the board falls this way, the Chargers would be insane not to pick Flowers or Kincaid.  Their receiving “weapons” are pathetic.

3rd in the league for passing yards......... even with a banged up #1 and #2 WR most of the season.  That's not pathetic by any measure.  I'm banking on the Allen and Williams being healthy.  It was a bad injury year but that doesn't mean it continues into next season.  WR is a need for the future, yes, but the current starting FS Alohi Gilman is a weak link in that secondary.  

How many targets Flowers would even get is questionable with Keenan Allen and Mike Williams on the field.  

I went with the greater need IMHO.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, mannc said:

They won't pick Flowers I don't think. Tom Telesco has never picked a receiver below 6ft in the first 5 rounds in 10 years on the job. He is a "size guy" when it comes to receiver. If Johnston is there I am pretty confident they will pick him. But if he is gone can totally see Kincaid. 

14 minutes ago, Virgil said:

The Baltimore Ravens select Zay Flowers, WR, Boston College

The Ravens continue to focus on their offense with the signing of pre-draft visit Flowers.  Zay can line up at any spot and has the versatility the Ravens are looking for.   Lamar can’t say we didn’t do everything we could to support him.  

We considered DB here, but the value on Flowers was just too high.  

The Vikings @inaugural ballsare on the clock

Think this Flowers's floor. If he is still there, the Ravens take him. He goes somewhere between New England at #14 and Baltimore at #22.

7 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

They won't pick Flowers I don't think. Tom Telesco has never picked a receiver below 6ft in the first 5 rounds in 10 years on the job. He is a "size guy" when it comes to receiver. If Johnston is there I am pretty confident they will pick him. But if he is gone can totally see Kincaid. 

Think this Flowers's floor. If he is still there, the Ravens take him. He goes somewhere between New England at #14 and Baltimore at #22.

Yep.  Different story with Johnston.  But mainly because Keenan Allen is 30+.  

I'm good with TE Gerald Everett's 555 yards on the season.  This team goes deep to Keenan Allen, and Mike Williams.  He had 4 TD as well.  Not terrible.

Nobody's calling Dawson Knox "pathetic" here... and he had 517 yards and 6TD.  

18 minutes ago, Yantha said:

3rd in the league for passing yards......... even with a banged up #1 and #2 WR most of the season.  That's not pathetic by any measure.  I'm banking on the Allen and Williams being healthy.  It was a bad injury year but that doesn't mean it continues into next season.  WR is a need for the future, yes, but the current starting FS Alohi Gilman is a weak link in that secondary.  

How many targets Flowers would even get is questionable with Keenan Allen and Mike Williams on the field.  

I went with the greater need IMHO.

If you watched the Chargers' games, you would know that their WRs could not stretch the field at all.  They were a dink and dunk team and their YPA was one of the worst in the league, despite having a top five QB.  Their receivers stink and there is no way they don't take either Kincaid or a WR in the first round.  With Herbert, they have the ability to outscore the Chiefs, but not with their current crop of receivers. 

Branch is a very good player, but that would be an unwise use of a first round pick. 

17 minutes ago, mannc said:

If you watched the Chargers' games, you would know that their WRs could not stretch the field at all.  They were a dink and dunk team and their YPA was one of the worst in the league, despite having a top five QB.  Their receivers stink and there is no way they don't take either Kincaid or a WR in the first round.  With Herbert, they have the ability to outscore the Chiefs, but not with their current crop of receivers. 

Branch is a very good player, but that would be an unwise use of a first round pick. 

Agreed.  I didn't watch the games and I'm sure you are right about the style of play.  I went only by their offensive production stats.

Looking forward to the REAL draft.  

Not much more time to wait!!

Cheers!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.