2023 NCAA Hoops Tournament

Augie

Really nice comeback by SDSU. FAU had a 94.8% chance of winning with 13:53 to go in the game. But SDSU outscored them 30-15 the rest of the way. Interesting call to sit both scorers and not call a TO after getting the rebound, but it paid off. I'm definitely rooting for SDSU on Monday, hope they kick some a$$.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS
  • Like (+1) 1

Upsets are fun in the moment and create good underdog stories. 

The downside is that they remove great teams from the tournament and you have too many surviving teams that are not quite ready for prime time that end up playing in prime time games.

The final 10 seconds was good stuff; the 39 minutes preceding it might well have been the absolute worst-played, most gawdawful display of poorly executed basketball in the history of the Final Four. :ph34r:

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, muppy said:

I was able to watch the game with some SDSU grads (family friends). That was a xanax special!!! lol

Happy for ya @muppy ! Hopefully they win it for you on Monday. My favorite team(Cuse) has won 1 and it's a great feeling when the clock hits triple zeros. Almost didn't know how to act though as it's my only favorite team in any sport that has won a championship. I had gotten so used to my teams losing in championship games.😂

Speaking of favorite teams....Sabres score 4 in the 2nd to go up 5-2 at the start of the 3rd.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t get to watch them much during the regular season, but when it’s tourney time…. It’s just been such a treat to see my alma mater team playing great 🏀 when it matters most, and for them to be so successful since I started attending there in ‘99. I’m hoping to go to campus on Monday night to the watch party at Gampel, along with a friend who designed the old 80s-90s UConn logo and sculpted the Husky statue outside of the arena. I mean, I’m not much one for big crowds, but it would be nice to experience it once in my life. 

I have some second cousins on FB who live in San Diego and who’ve been posting about SDSU through the tourney.

Edited by UConn James
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Augie said:

Interesting shot at the National Anthem, I must say. What the hay? 

Yeah, that was kinda brutal. The UM guy and FAU cheerleader were the only ones who could carry a tune.

But at least they did sing it with an upward whatever it’s called on the “that our flag Was STILL THERE!!!” line. It kills me when people take steps down on that. That’s supposed to be sung with exuberance, and most singers make it sound like a death dirge.

I in my tenure in san Diego have attended a single Aztecs basketball game in person. So Im a fan who is swept up with the NCAA hoopla. For the true Aztec fans and alums  in my community they are acting  most pleasantly surprised, HAPPY and excited for what is to come. Having all the one seeds get bounced so early has made this tournament a suspenseful who will win it all right from the beginning

So my adopted team is definitely what I would still call a somewhat Cinderella story. What with the buzzer beater. AND first time in team history making it to the Elite 8 and now the Finals. Oh baby Baby BABY

Im buckled in, hopeful and would love to see them pull it off. If Florida Atlantic had won yesterday I wouldn't have felt that bad. I would have rooted them on against U-Conn but I have nothin against them besides having won championships before 4 times already

@UConn JamesMay the better team win no excuses.  It's going to be a tough game either way.  Either way Im stoked

SDSU!!!

m

Edited by muppy

7 minutes ago, aristocrat said:

Uconn basketball is amazing. Probably gonna have their fifth title in 25 years. That’s wild. To go along with the women’s program which has at least 10 rings right? And the men’s team doing it with different coaches is nuts 

It really is amazing! UConn looked like world beaters early, then slumped. The most important thing in college basketball is peaking in March! 

Full disclosure: I’m a Big East guy and happy to have 3 teams in the Sweet 16 (with SEC the only other conference to do so). My ears perked up as Sir Charles was asking how they had 8 losses this year. The BE is a gauntlet, and my Xavier team gave them 25% of their losses. 

Good luck to both teams (and @muppy) tomorrow night. I pray for another instant classic. For some reason I am doubly amped for March Madness this year, and they have delivered! 

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They never get the credit but it has perfect weather but San Diego has a terrible sports history. Have they ever had a title? They also had 2 pro sports teams leave. This is actually a pretty big moment for them. 

As @muppy is well aware. The big night is here…..eventually. Late start wouldn’t bother me as I’m retired, but I have to be ready for a furniture delivery at 8am. Bad timing!

Hoping first for a good game, then if UConn can win it’s the best of everything.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

They never get the credit but it has perfect weather but San Diego has a terrible sports history. Have they ever had a title? They also had 2 pro sports teams leave. This is actually a pretty big moment for them. 

Their fans were booing the Padres over the weekend because the Rockies took a series from them. Tells you all you need to know how desperate they are for a title. 

I'm sure many of you know this but do you know who the all time assist leader is for SDSU hoops?

None other than Tony Gwynn! Who I think was drafted by the SD Clippers in 81. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Tierlifer said:

Their fans were booing the Padres over the weekend because the Rockies took a series from them. Tells you all you need to know how desperate they are for a title. 

I'm sure many of you know this but do you know who the all time assist leader is for SDSU hoops?

None other than Tony Gwynn! Who I think was drafted by the SD Clippers in 81. 

WOW! That’s a surprising little tidbit. 

2 hours ago, Augie said:

As @muppy is well aware. The big night is here…..eventually. Late start wouldn’t bother me as I’m retired, but I have to be ready for a furniture delivery at 8am. Bad timing!

Hoping first for a good game, then if UConn can win it’s the best of everything.  

I will be dialed in to watch the game. I just hope it is competitive and of course SDSU winS 🙂 GO AZTECS!~!~!!!

3 hours ago, Augie said:

March Madness is now a concept I can fully grasp.  This week has been great times and being in the Finals there ain't no shame in their game. Im Proud of those kids.

Ima just gonna plug in my xanax drip and KEEP CALM

who am I kidding lol

GO AZTECS

on a sidenote I saw the Aztec RB at home games Marshall Faulk a couple times at the old jack murphy stadium. Even in college he was Primo.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

U-Conn was the better team the Aztecs just couldn't overcome their height and overall talent.

Congrats U-Conn

It ended up not being that stressful a game the U-Conn team dominated. 

That was overall a fun ride though  🙂

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

For all the Connecticut Bills fans 😁👍

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

For all the Connecticut Bills fans 😁👍

There is a thread for this totally non-Bills, non-football, non-Buffalo, non-WNY, non-NY state who-actually-gives-a-*****-but-gamblers-topic located "off the wall".

• Eyeroll 2

9 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

There is a thread for this totally non-Bills, non-football, non-Buffalo, non-WNY, non-NY state who-actually-gives-a-*****-but-gamblers-topic located "off the wall".

Living rent free in your head, 😁👍

22 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nah men's NCAA hoops is so weak AF it's an offense to put it anywhere near NFL discussion.   No stars.   Results random as those at a dog track.   Perfect vehicle for "gaming" companies to fleece idiots and addicts but that's about it.    @eball has the free real estate but I think he is trying a no crow diet in 2023.   Proud of him.  

Like I said, living rent free in your head, 😂

Sat next to a couple students from UCONN who made the drive last year to see their team for the first two rounds of the tournament in Buffalo. They seemed like pretty decent down to earth people.

They took getting bounced in the first round pretty well and to my surprise still showed up for the second round games.

Not a big fan of UCONN but I was happy for those guys at least to be able to experience a championship for their school while actually attending it.

Won my office bracket (out of 15 total people who played). It was, by far, the worst one we've had in 13 years. 

Only 3 of us had any Final Four team (I had UCONN reaching the finals). Those odds are pretty out there... that out of 15 people, only THREE got any Final Four team right. No one had them winning it all. 

In the past 12 years the Big East has won 5 National Championships (UConn with 3 and Villanova with 2). The other winners were UNC, Duke, Baylor, Louisville, UVA, Kansas and Kentucky, each with just one win. Pretty awesome showing for the BE. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.