Bills have shown interest in Lavonte David.

MAJBobby

Just now, Nebillzfan said:

Watching the YouTube highlights of David and his speed and knowledge is what we need at linebacker. To me it makes too much sense as well. 

For sure, I just worry about Father Time (idk why my phone keeps capitalizing that). Every single one of our 32+ aged players last year either hit a wall or sustained serious injuries.

Holcomb would be a good pickup too, though.

Raasan Evans and Leighton Vander Esh are great athletes and run defenders, LVE was great vs pass as a rookie, but both struggled last year vs the pass

David is an ELITE linebacker.  He allows Devon White to play the way he does - downhill, attacking football.

David can cover incredibly well, and is a sure tackler.  He would do a fantastic job in this defense, as we force our MLB to dissect and manage this defense play to play.

He would be a top target on a one or two year deal while his body is up to the task

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

Per PFF grades we played 3 top 10 QBs last year.

We went 3-1. Only loss was the first Miami game. 

That's great........being able to beat KC early in the season the past two years should have been part of attaining the #1 seed( if not for the annual mid-season McMalaise).

But playoff football is where they lag.

The Bills defense hasn't been able to raise their level of play against good QB's when needed in the playoffs..........which appears to be an issue with the system......and the system is built around Tremaine...........and other contenders have been able to adapt better to their opponents.   

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

That's great........being able to beat KC early in the season the past two years should have been part of attaining the #1 seed( if not for the annual mid-season McMalaise).

The Bills defense hasn't been able to raise their level of play against good QB's when needed in the playoffs..........which appears to be an issue with the system......and the system is built around Tremaine...........and other contenders have been able to adapt better to their opponents.   

Being one of the only perennial playoff teams to feature a defensive minded head coach is only tenable if your defense consistently produces in big playoff moments, and ours very clearly has not done so.

Something's got to change, and they're clearly sticking with McDermott (as they should, at this point). Hopefully letting Tremaine walk and having our first signing be a guard is a sign that the front office realizes this.

• Like (+1) 3

47 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

David is an ELITE linebacker.  He allows Devon White to play the way he does - downhill, attacking football.

David can cover incredibly well, and is a sure tackler.  He would do a fantastic job in this defense, as we force our MLB to dissect and manage this defense play to play.

He would be a top target on a one or two year deal while his body is up to the task

Or Bobby Wagner

don't get my hopes up.  

It's likely that Bean gets a LB to fill Edmunds, I hope it's an impact player, even for 1-2 years so a rookie does not need to start ASAP.  That said, I don't want to overpay (even Klien would be ok) at the determent of a WR or another OL.  

13 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

And Edmunds had 1 missed tackle all year and was better vs the pass. 

It’s all a moot point now, but let’s all stop acting like Edmunds was garbage, he did things better than Wagner/David did last year due to his superior athleticism and isn’t even in his prime. He did some things worse because he doesn’t yet still have great instincts and probably had too much responsibility.

If Bills land Davis/Wagner, awesome. They are instinctive vets who have a tendency for big wow plays.

IMO it’s a wash between them, you trade off. I’m worried about if we DON’T land David/Wagner, because now we might be talking significant downgrade. 

I'm not talking about Edmunds.

Look, first you said about David:  "He’s honestly a pretty significant downgrade at his age."

Now you are saying it would be "awesome" to get a guy like him----AND you're worried that not getting a guy like him will lead to "a significant downgrade".

lol--come on!

5 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I'm not talking about Edmunds.

Look, first you said about David:  "He’s honestly a pretty significant downgrade at his age."

Now you are saying it would be "awesome" to get a guy like him----AND you're worried that not getting a guy like him will lead to "a significant downgrade".

lol--come on!

My first take was wrong as I didn’t consider coverage know-how to make up for a decline athletically. I own that poor judgement and wording. I still think Edmunds was better vs the pass than David and Wagner, but that’s a moot point now. 

Instincts wise they should be a big upgrade, as long as they stay healthy. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

My first take was wrong as I didn’t consider coverage know-how to make up for a decline athletically. I own that poor judgement and wording. I still think Edmunds was better vs the pass than David and Wagner, but that’s a moot point now. 

Instincts wise they should be a big upgrade, as long as they stay healthy. 

I don't recall seeing amazing coverage skills during the Houston, Cincy and KC playoff loses.  I'd be perfectly fine with Klein or Al-Shaair/ Vander Esch type around 7M.  Lavonte would also do just nicely on a 2 yr deal but it'll cost 9M/ yr.  So take your pick?

5 hours ago, Nebillzfan said:

Watching the YouTube highlights of David and his speed and knowledge is what we need at linebacker. To me it makes too much sense as well. 

Him and Milano would be a problem. Both are instinctive and have a high football IQ. Opposing QBs wouldn't like this duo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Everyone should read this post and reread it several times. 

100% spot on post. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.